hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rory Whittaker

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Trying not to make this a pile on as he's a 16 year old lad but he's looked lost in attacking positions. He just needs a spell out of the first team to grow and progress, same as 99.9% of his peers.

There are almost no footballers that are ready to play week in, week out at 16. It's practically unheard of, and for good reason.
    This.

The fact our manager has openly come out and bigged himself up for ‘giving the young lad a chance’ is staggering. Whittaker is nowhere near ready, understandably. I’d argue what we’re doing is the opposite of giving him a chance long term, we’ve more chance of ruining him at this rate.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Whittaker has no protection in front of him. Throwing him to the sharks in that aspect.

He'll rightly go back to the dev squad once Miller and Cadden are back and fit. One of the future definitely. We should also see if it's possible to loan Megwa back to Airdrie as it's a waste of his development sitting on the bench/in the stand here.

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandWillie View Post
    Whittaker has no protection in front of him. Throwing him to the sharks in that aspect.

He'll rightly go back to the dev squad once Miller and Cadden are back and fit. One of the future definitely. We should also see if it's possible to loan Megwa back to Airdrie as it's a waste of his development sitting on the bench/in the stand here.
    I'd stick Megwa in the team, tell him he's my first choice to the end of the season and that the jersey is his to lose, whilst being prepared to back him through a few mistakes (like at Killie).

His credentials from his spell at Airdrie are good, he just needs to raise it a little now.

We need stability at the back.

Miller is a known quantity in that he's hopelessly inconsistent. He plays second fiddle this season and can battle it out with Megwa (and possibly a new RB depending on how Megwa does this season) next year.

More importantly - Cadden comes into the team at RM as soon as he is fit to do so - he'll help out at both ends of the pitch no end. I totally agree with your point about Whittaker having no protection.

I rate him highly, I really do. His attitude is fantastic, I don’t just mean he works hard I mean when he’s playing he gets right up against the opposition and for me has an arrogance about him for his age which I really like.

He's really composed on the ball and at times attempts the riskier option, it doesn’t always come off as he’s still adapting to the pace and how people at this level read those passes quicker. I also think he’s affected by the crowd at times which maybe forces him to try something given he’s a fan himself.

Those saying the know people at that age group that were stunned he and landers are in the first team just stinks of jealousy imo. Landers seems to score every week for the 18s/development squad and Whittaker has done well for his age. They’re also in due to limited options in the first team.

The only thing I’ll say is I do think Montgomery saw Whittikar and thought here’s a chance for me to get the support on board by giving a debut to a young boy and creating a new record - just something I picked up on in his interviews which I never liked.

But Rory is a good player, he may not be ready yet for week in week out at this level, but what 16/17 year old is? He’ll learn, hopefully go out on loan and improve. I actually think some of his best games for us has been when he came on in midfield

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I rate him highly, I really do. His attitude is fantastic, I don’t just mean he works hard I mean when he’s playing he gets right up against the opposition and for me has an arrogance about him for his age which I really like.

He's really composed on the ball and at times attempts the riskier option, it doesn’t always come off as he’s still adapting to the pace and how people at this level read those passes quicker. I also think he’s affected by the crowd at times which maybe forces him to try something given he’s a fan himself.

Those saying the know people at that age group that were stunned he and landers are in the first team just stinks of jealousy imo. Landers seems to score every week for the 18s/development squad and Whittaker has done well for his age. They’re also in due to limited options in the first team.

The only thing I’ll say is I do think Montgomery saw Whittikar and thought here’s a chance for me to get the support on board by giving a debut to a young boy and creating a new record - just something I picked up on in his interviews which I never liked.

But Rory is a good player, he may not be ready yet for week in week out at this level, but what 16/17 year old is? He’ll learn, hopefully go out on loan and improve. I actually think some of his best games for us has been when he came on in midfield
    If i'm being honest I'd never heard of Whittaker before he was put in the team by Montgomery. Seemed to come from nowhere. I'm sure he would have played but I didn't notice him in the UEFA youth league games we played last season. Probably says more about me than him to be fair!
    Last edited by Since452; 06-02-2024 at 05:11 PM.

Once cadden is back up to speed I’d be sending Whittaker out on loan, I believe lower league clubs can still loan from top tier?

If yes, a stint at a league one for 4 months could do him great.