hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: David Gray

Testimonial Due Tha Cabbage Kid's Avatar
    maybe time to stop getting the young unproven coaches and get some experience in.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by McGruber View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2 options now as I see it for David Gray, he either steps up to manager (at least until end of season) or if not, he leaves the club. There's no middle ground for me.

If he is manager and making decisions we can see how he goes. A lot being made of the past interim results but most teams have upturns after management changes regardless so difficult to tell. Would say his team selections and set ups have been decent.

If not manager, he has to go as part of a failed coaching team. Otherwise, what's the point. He either has enough sway to make an impact and he should be in Monty's ear about formations and selection or he doesn't have the influence over the managers to make any changes. Given we are making the same mistakes he either isn't getting his points over or he puts in his tuppence worth but Monty doesn't take it on board and persists with his own thing (as is his prerogative).

If the train of thought is that it isn't his place these decisions and all falls on Monty, Maloney, Johnson etc - I get that but again, as a first team coach - then what's the point.

Love, respect and admire the guy but for me he has been part of 3 failed coaching teams and it is now either step up or step out.
    Really good post. Agree with every word.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha Cabbage Kid View Post
    maybe time to stop getting the young unproven coaches and get some experience in.
    Johnson was experienced

Came across this again , for me if Monty was to lose his job ( which I hope doesn't happen) I give the job to SD till the end of the season to see how he does .His records not bad every time he's been asked to do the job especially when it's normally been when the teams been doing poorly .

https://youtu.be/DD4brSqqdJU?si=VI3SvNHaYXygp37-

I have no strong opinions on Gray as a coach either way.

I think if he wants the managers gig for himself, which apparently is the case, then he's going to have to spread his wings and go and get a bit experience elsewhere first.

If he was getting the Hibs job then it would have been when it was last available pre Montgomery.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Coaching Staff
    I've never heard or read of any other club being interested in David Gray as a coach or manager.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I have no strong opinions on Gray as a coach either way.

I think if he wants the managers gig for himself, which apparently is the case, then he's going to have to spread his wings and go and get a bit experience elsewhere first.

If he was getting the Hibs job then it would have been when it was last available pre Montgomery.
    🤔

Absolutely not. He's part of the current coaching team who pick baffling teams consisting of out of form players and players out of position. And formation and tactics which allows teams to slice through us at will. He needs to go too.

I don't think SDG really wants it, does he?

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Enough said, another Cathro coach but at least he can speak multiple languages.
    Cathro is actually a really rated coach btw

It's why he's worked at some major clubs

Not such a rated manager ofcourse!

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Callum_62; 04-02-2024 at 10:50 PM.

I don’t think anyone here can genuinely predict how well SDG would do at the job, given how few games he’s managed.

I also don’t think anyone can genuinely know how responsible he is for our *****ness. The buck stops with the manager.

We need an experienced safe pair of hands. It’s too big a job for a rookie to sort Hibs out. He should go and cut his teeth somewhere else and come back when he’s earned the opportunity to be the main man.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    No to SDG as permanent manager. I would hate to think of him tarnishing his legacy at the club, much as I'd love him to be a success. If he is to become a manager he needs to go and do it at a lower level and if successful, work his way into the Hibs job which would obviously be available to him at some point. I think he's likely very aware of this and don't get much impression he wants to manage.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Absolutely not. He's part of the current coaching team who pick baffling teams consisting of out of form players and players out of position. And formation and tactics which allows teams to slice through us at will. He needs to go too.
    Does SDG pick the team? He coaches sessions, but does He pick the final team? Or does NM? Who is the actual Manager?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AFKA5814_Hibs View Post
    10 games. 4 wins, 2 draws, 4 defeats. 12 goals for 11 against. Not saying he's the long term replacement, but not a bad record.

Not bad at all. It’s too easy to dismiss this as an expected new manager bounce - he’s only ever been the caretaker of a group of players short on confidence and form.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Johnson was experienced

You too can benefit from that experience, by signing up to his online coaching sessions.

No doubt applicable to all walks of life, including the special forces, and not just football.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I don't think SDG really wants it, does he?
    I believe he has applied for the job at least once so that suggests he does.

The Dunfermilne job looks like it might be coming up soon, McPake is a dead man walking. That would be a good gig for Gray to cut his teeth as his own man imo, I'm sure the door would always be open at ER if he was to do well.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

After three managers with no SPL managerial experience, SDG's minimal caretaker experience would be too much of a gamble for me.

A few bad results and folk would turn on him. I'd prefer his legend status wasn't tarnished by that.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    A lot of folk seem to be getting coaches confused with managers and picking the team here.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    A lot of folk seem to be getting coaches confused with managers and picking the team here.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post

A bizaare accusation levelled at Gray that he has had any final say in team selections under the last 3 managers.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post

A bizaare accusation levelled at Gray that he has had any final say in team selections under the last 3 managers.
    Or signing players or tactics or substitutes. When jocky Scott got appointed to replace Alex Miller, at the AGM l basically asked him why you as you were part of the team that failed. He explained he was there to support the manager and will have different thoughts and approaches now he’s in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    Cathro is actually a really rated coach btw

It's why he's worked at some major clubs

Not such a rated manager ofcourse!

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
    Don't know if he's still at al-Ittihad as he didn't go with Nuno to Nottingham Forest. It was of course a wee joke due to his time at Hearts.

Exactly and comments that he’s part of the problem from posters who have no idea what his role is or how much input he actually has are pretty poor imo. Or the idea that ‘cos he was a defender he must be defence coach Now some people may not necessarily see this as a ringing endorsement but our last 4 managers all view him as a good coach.

If posters don’t like the idea of him being our next manager based on his lack of experience in that role then fair enough. If they want to discuss the merits of our set pieces then again fair enough as it would at least be a conversation about his actual role in the coaching set up.

I don’t know if David Gray is the man to manage Hibs, appointing him would certainly be a bigger gamble than other names being mentioned and I’m not saying it’s what we should do, but I do believe he’d have done a better job than the last three managers.

Gray can coach as much as he wants but when a manager throws in 2 rookies into the defence, there's not much his coaching can do, Triantis must've had 2 training session with his team mates before playing.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Gray can coach as much as he wants but when a manager throws in 2 rookies into the defence, there's not much his coaching can do, Triantis must've had 2 training session with his team mates before playing.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chipper1875 View Post
    Or signing players or tactics or substitutes. When jocky Scott got appointed to replace Alex Miller, at the AGM l basically asked him why you as you were part of the team that failed. He explained he was there to support the manager and will have different thoughts and approaches now he’s in charge

Exactly and comments that he’s part of the problem from posters who have no idea what his role is or how much input he actually has are pretty poor imo. Or the idea that ‘cos he was a defender he must be defence coach Now some people may not necessarily see this as a ringing endorsement but our last 4 managers all view him as a good coach.

If posters don’t like the idea of him being our next manager based on his lack of experience in that role then fair enough. If they want to discuss the merits of our set pieces then again fair enough as it would at least be a conversation about his actual role in the coaching set up.

I don’t know if David Gray is the man to manage Hibs, appointing him would certainly be a bigger gamble than other names being mentioned and I’m not saying it’s what we should do, but I do believe he’d have done a better job than the last three managers.
    Agree 100%. I've seen enough in my own work organisation to know that there are often highly competent people lurking in the backgrounds shaking their head at the new highly paid bosses making radge decisions because they have managed to somehow slaver their way into a top position by being adept at bull**** bingo.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 05-02-2024 at 09:54 AM.

The first 3 games of the season we lost 5 goals and defensively we were really poor . The pittodrie game after LJ had left we looked more structured and had a bit of steel about us . I was very surprised with the performance and result that day considering how the other 3 games had went .
    https://youtu.be/HJRqarVOTRg?si=MjwAQ1YOqyOqA8V3

The management are a team. So yes, they all need to go. A new manager should bring in the folk he wants.

I actually think David Gray would be a decent enough manager for usb if he had to step in until the end of the season.

I think he would go back to basics and play the best players available to him, sounds simple I know but it doesn’t always seem to be the case.

I think he’d have them in a structured formation, no mucking about and get the ball to those that can do something with it.

I would actually be semi confident he’d get us top 6, something I’ve no confidence in right now.