hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: David Gray

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    David Gray?

Every time he has been an in interim charge he has set up sensible teams, and we have done ok, putting in fairly good performances. He has always talked pretty sensibly before and after games.

Should he be Hibs manager - well I'm not sure.

But I honestly believe he would have done a better job than the previous three - Maloney, Johnston, and Monty. We'd certainly be no worse off in my opinion, and we would certainly be financially be better off spending probably millions hiring and firing absolute duds.
    Pretty much where I am. Despite what some would have you believe he’s not responsible for our defensive setup and is viewed as a good coach. Whether that translates to being a good manager I don’t know but I agree with you I think he’d have done better than the last three appointments.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    David Gray?

Every time he has been an in interim charge he has set up sensible teams, and we have done ok, putting in fairly good performances. He has always talked pretty sensibly before and after games.

Should he be Hibs manager - well I'm not sure.

But I honestly believe he would have done a better job than the previous three - Maloney, Johnston, and Monty. We'd certainly be no worse off in my opinion, and we would certainly be financially be better off spending probably millions hiring and firing absolute duds.
    Based on his record during his several spells in charge he'd be a pretty safe pair of hands, quite possibly better than that.

One thing's for sure, he couldn't make us any worse.

I like how the 2 games he came in as interim manager was a Scottish Cup final and a European Away leg against a Premier League team.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Man Down Under View Post
    I like how the 2 games he came in as interim manager was a Scottish Cup final and a European Away leg against a Premier League team.

He's taken charge of 10 games and none of them were a Scottish Cup final.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    I think MDU is getting the league and Scottish cups mixed up.

That's good to know. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I think MDU is getting the league and Scottish cups mixed up.
    Oh aye, league cup against Celtic it was.

Also 10 games!? I guess I just noticed the big games he was in charge. Looks like he only lost 4 of those which is not bad.

Last edited by Man Down Under; 03-02-2024 at 10:51 PM.

Would be horrific to see a legend binned as manager.Franck Sauzee springs to mind.very rarely works as an ex player getting the managers job. Look how Aberdeen did with willie Miller.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar

He's had way more than 2 games in interim charge.

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    10 games. 4 wins, 2 draws, 4 defeats. 12 goals for 11 against. Not saying he's the long term replacement, but not a bad record.

Yeah only he wasn’t and never has been the defensive coach but don’t let facts get in the way of bashing him.
    Pretty much where I am. Despite what some would have you believe he’s not responsible for our defensive setup and is viewed as a good coach. Whether that translates to being a good manager I don’t know but I agree with you I think he’d have done better than the last three appointments.
    If it's not David Gray, who do you believe to be our current defensive coach, as it might prevent further disinformation on this subject?

2 options now as I see it for David Gray, he either steps up to manager (at least until end of season) or if not, he leaves the club. There's no middle ground for me.

If he is manager and making decisions we can see how he goes. A lot being made of the past interim results but most teams have upturns after management changes regardless so difficult to tell. Would say his team selections and set ups have been decent.

If not manager, he has to go as part of a failed coaching team. Otherwise, what's the point. He either has enough sway to make an impact and he should be in Monty's ear about formations and selection or he doesn't have the influence over the managers to make any changes. Given we are making the same mistakes he either isn't getting his points over or he puts in his tuppence worth but Monty doesn't take it on board and persists with his own thing (as is his prerogative).

If the train of thought is that it isn't his place these decisions and all falls on Monty, Maloney, Johnson etc - I get that but again, as a first team coach - then what's the point.

Love, respect and admire the guy but for me he has been part of 3 failed coaching teams and it is now either step up or step out.

First Team Breakthrough timewilltell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McGruber View Post
    2 options now as I see it for David Gray, he either steps up to manager (at least until end of season) or if not, he leaves the club. There's no middle ground for me.

If he is manager and making decisions we can see how he goes. A lot being made of the past interim results but most teams have upturns after management changes regardless so difficult to tell. Would say his team selections and set ups have been decent.

If not manager, he has to go as part of a failed coaching team. Otherwise, what's the point. He either has enough sway to make an impact and he should be in Monty's ear about formations and selection or he doesn't have the influence over the managers to make any changes. Given we are making the same mistakes he either isn't getting his points over or he puts in his tuppence worth but Monty doesn't take it on board and persists with his own thing (as is his prerogative).

If the train of thought is that it isn't his place these decisions and all falls on Monty, Maloney, Johnson etc - I get that but again, as a first team coach - then what's the point.

Love, respect and admire the guy but for me he has been part of 3 failed coaching teams and it is now either step up or step out.
    Spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by joebakerforever View Post
    If it's not David Gray, who do you believe to be our current defensive coach, as it might prevent further disinformation on this subject?
    David Gray is set piece coach, the rest is down to Sergio Raimundo.

@hibs.net private member
    Set piece coach as in defend or attack? Actually, we’re chronic at both so I guess it doesn’t matter.

Scapegoat bingo.

If I’m playing, I’ll have Gordon Marshall please. Or if he’s taken, Tam McCourt.

Enough said, another Cathro coach but at least he can speak multiple languages.

If Monty were to go I'd give it to SDG until the end of the season to see how he does. I don't think he'd be a bad choice as he knows the club inside out and has great experience from working under different managers.

He might do well enough to merit giving him the job if he wanted it . If he doesn't it would certainly buy us time to look at other candidates.

If we end up looking for a manager hopefully we could get one that plays attacking football that suits the players we have here already , like a Karl Robinson or liam manning .Liam manning has taken over at Bristol city so we wouldn't get him though his assistant could be a option maybe.

https://youtu.be/wT-UJ0rcGSc?si=AV8WlzXXEjG4325q
    Last edited by Donegal Hibby; 04-02-2024 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireHibs View Post
    The performance under him at Pittodrie was the best, most complete domestic performance this season. And the happiest I've seen the team look. A third coach is basically a loyal subject, carrying out the kings orders. I really wouldn't be averse to giving him until the end of the season. The whole things a bit of a write off as things stand, not really got much to lose.
    Correct, a coach follows orders. Doesn’t but players. Doesn’t pick tactics or make subs . When he’s filled in he’s tried to be pragmatic, to try get results, taking a failing team

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Enough said, another Cathro coach but at least he can speak multiple languages.
    Serge takes players thro video analysis and will say , if you stand there or do this … players ask him questions … they see right through he’s never played… a ipad coach . Just like the Italian that Maloney had

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    Set piece coach as in defend or attack? Actually, we’re chronic at both so I guess it doesn’t matter.
    It's hardly a standout on the CV!

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Chipper1875 View Post
    Serge takes players thro video analysis and will say , if you stand there or do this … players ask him questions … they see right through he’s never played… a ipad coach . Just like the Italian that Maloney had
    Not sure how you know this but if it’s true, and I am not doubting you, it explains a lot! When he first arrived Serge was bummed up regarding all the clubs he had been at and the number of languages he was able to speak. Since then I have been wondering what he actually did because on match days you rarely see him influencing things.
    If we have a hugely inexperienced tactically inept manager and an iPad coach who has never played the game in charge of the team then it’s no surprise where we are and they are not going to get us out of this mess.

Set us up correctly up at Aberdeen and got a very good tune out of the same players Montgomery can't.

Not saying he should take over but he wouldn't do any worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Set us up correctly up at Aberdeen and got a very good tune out of the same players Montgomery can't.

Not saying he should take over but he wouldn't do any worse.
    He just tweaked some little things. After LJ and knowing that we were moving past playing in Europe it just needed a bit of defensive work and settling some of the new players in. Remember we had injured keepers, Obita not really fit, Miller in and out. Marshall chucking them in when he was fit…

I think Gray got the balance right although it was a small sample size.

What we didn’t need was the club ripping the whole thing up, which is what has happened.

His only experience in the dugout is watching some of the worst managers we've ever had. Hardly a decent experience .. and if he is in fact the defensive coach currently then that's another mark against him..

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    Not for me. I find it odd how Raimundo can take flak while making excuses for SDG at the same time. Yes the Aberdeen performance was decent but I still have nightmares about the “performance” at Dundee under his watch.

Either way there isn’t enough evidence from that to make a solid conclusion on. I would rather go on the evidence of his part in the managerial failures over the last few seasons. The fact he is the set piece coach and not the defensive is not a positive either, we conceded two poor goals from set pieces yesterday.

@hibs.net private member
    David Gray needs to leave the club and go and earn his managerial stripes elsewhere and possibly come back when proven.

He’s also a lot more than set piece coach now. He was that under Johnson but his remit was expanded when Montgomery came in.

We are regressing rapidly and he’s part of a team overseeing this shambles again.

Quote Originally Posted by 7Hero View Post
    His only experience in the dugout is watching some of the worst managers we've ever had. Hardly a decent experience .. and if he is in fact the defensive coach currently then that's another mark against him..
    That might not necessarily be a bad thing in like what they say " you learn from your mistakes" maybe SD has learnt from other managers mistakes , anyhow the guys been at Utd and has a wealth of knowledge as a player and a coach, he also took charge of a team that lost 5 goals in 3 matches and went to pittodrie and won keeping a clean sheet also.

Not for me, i dont think inexperience is what we need, David Gray needs first team management elsewhere before we can actually consider him for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHFC View Post
    He just tweaked some little things. After LJ and knowing that we were moving past playing in Europe it just needed a bit of defensive work and settling some of the new players in. Remember we had injured keepers, Obita not really fit, Miller in and out. Marshall chucking them in when he was fit…

I think Gray got the balance right although it was a small sample size.

What we didn’t need was the club ripping the whole thing up, which is what has happened.
    Yup completely agree. A team that beat Luzern over two legs didn't need completely reshuffled. A few tweaks and a bit more direction after LJ left was about it. I felt they'd always come good after we were out of Europe.