hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: David Gray

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedish hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The management are a team. So yes, they all need to go. A new manager should bring in the folk he wants.
    This. Love SDG but fresh pairs of eyes are needed.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Absolutely not. He's part of the current coaching team who pick baffling teams consisting of out of form players and players out of position. And formation and tactics which allows teams to slice through us at will. He needs to go too.

Agree,I think he is part of the problem,ever present through a series of bad management teams,not sure you can put that down to coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by hhibs View Post
    Agree,I think he is part of the problem,ever present through a series of bad management teams,not sure you can put that down to coincidence.
    The last 3 managers have all had different styles of play , Maloneys passing back and forth not looking like scoring, LJ very attacking , defensively vulnerable eventually going to pot with nothing more than punting the ball forward while leaking goals .

To Monty's one system of 442 playing out from the back with only two midfielders, fullbacks pushing forward etc . Absolutely nothing to do with SDG . It's the managers that pick the team and formation and how he wants them to play , Grays just the coach and probably has his own ideas on how the game should be played .👍

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I believe he has applied for the job at least once so that suggests he does.

The Dunfermilne job looks like it might be coming up soon, McPake is a dead man walking. That would be a good gig for Gray to cut his teeth as his own man imo, I'm sure the door would always be open at ER if he was to do well.

I’m not sure what the route is to gain enough experience for the lofty heights of Hibs. Frankly, clubs with a much bigger income and profile than us have appointed rookies and done ok. Pep at Barcelona comes to mind.

I think someone either has what it takes or they don’t. If Monty can’t turn this around and SDG wants the gig, we should consider him. Getting the right team around him would be key.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedish hibee View Post
    The management are a team. So yes, they all need to go. A new manager should bring in the folk he wants.
    The management team that came in with the current manager, so his team need to go.

Gray is part of the management structure at Hibs.

Tbh I’d rather he left because of moronic theories that he’s part of the problem because he’s there. I hope he goes in to management in the lower leagues and gets the chance to come back to us as he deserves to. Head coach with bags of experience.

Hopefully the tea lady and groundsman get punted too because they’re part of the team as well.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    I’m not sure what the route is to gain enough experience for the lofty heights of Hibs. Frankly, clubs with a much bigger income and profile than us have appointed rookies and done ok. Pep at Barcelona comes to mind.

I think someone either has what it takes or they don’t. If Monty can’t turn this around and SDG wants the gig, we should consider him. Getting the right team around him would be key.
    Pep managed Barcelona B for a season, for all that's quite a step down from Barcelona's first team it is still a management job in it's own right in a competitive first team league (they were in the 3rd tier of Spanish football at the time I think and Pep got them promoted). I do take your point though.

I just think if he was going to get the job it would have happened by now. Since Ross we have appointed one rookie in Maloney and a guy not that much further on than the rookie stage in Montgomery. He's had a couple of decent auditions for it yet we have always looked elsewhere. Of course he may have no ambitions to be a manager in his own right and be a guy happy working for someone else in a coaching role. If he does fancy being a manager though then I think he might have to look elsewhere to get the chance.

If a new man comes in I'd make Gray his assistant.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    If a new man comes in I'd make Gray his assistant.
    If a new man comes in I’d want him to select the coaching team that he feels would help him achieve success. Could be wrong but it almost seems like David Gray forming part of the last 3 managers back room staff has been a non-negotiable from the club as a way of pandering to the fans. I want any job at hibs to be decided on actual merit, irrespective of what any individual has achieved at the club in the past.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Although I don't want Gray as manager (mainly as I think it would be too much of a gamble), I don't get the "he's part of the problem, he's been involved in 3/4 failed management teams" argument. Nobody on here ever been in lower/middle management and got promoted when their boss has been shown the door? We've all had to do stuff at work that we don't necessarily agree with but you get on with it. He's not the main man in charge. The manager might say "right, I want the team to play with these tactics, go and do a training session that supports that" or the manager might even micro-manage and tell him to do a specific session.

I do think he needs a spell at another club before getting a shot as Hibs manager. Learn from his mistakes somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    If a new man comes in I’d want him to select the coaching team that he feels would help him achieve success. Could be wrong but it almost seems like David Gray forming part of the last 3 managers back room staff has been a non-negotiable from the club as a way of pandering to the fans. I want any job at hibs to be decided on actual merit, irrespective of what any individual has achieved at the club in the past.
    This!

I still think of it wasn’t for the Scottish Cup winning goal he wouldn’t still be at the coach

@hibs.net private member
    Reckon he could do us a turn at right back

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    I still think of it wasn’t for the Scottish Cup winning goal he wouldn’t still be at the coach
    We aren’t a charity. SDG is not a coach at Hibs because he scored one goal.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Pep managed Barcelona B for a season, for all that's quite a step down from Barcelona's first team it is still a management job in it's own right in a competitive first team league (they were in the 3rd tier of Spanish football at the time I think and Pep got them promoted). I do take your point though.

I just think if he was going to get the job it would have happened by now. Since Ross we have appointed one rookie in Maloney and a guy not that much further on than the rookie stage in Montgomery. He's had a couple of decent auditions for it yet we have always looked elsewhere. Of course he may have no ambitions to be a manager in his own right and be a guy happy working for someone else in a coaching role. If he does fancy being a manager though then I think he might have to look elsewhere to get the chance.
    Gray had only been in his coaching job at us roughly about 5 months when we appointed Maloney I think , he only lasted was it 4 months ?. LJ wasn't exactly in that long at us either so it was probably abit soon for SDG and we decided to go for a manager that had a good record of developing young players and that had some success.

I didn't realise he had a couple of auditions for the job , probably a bit too soon and maybe it still is though when you see how quickly things developed for Naismith at the other lot anythings possible I suppose.

If Monty were to go before the end of the season it will almost definitely be Gray who'll take over again and we would probably go thru a lengthy process again so seeing how Gray would do in that time would be another option for us . He hasn't done to bad any time he has been asked to takeover imo 👍

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Exactly and comments that he’s part of the problem from posters who have no idea what his role is or how much input he actually has are pretty poor imo. Or the idea that ‘cos he was a defender he must be defence coach Now some people may not necessarily see this as a ringing endorsement but our last 4 managers all view him as a good coach.

If posters don’t like the idea of him being our next manager based on his lack of experience in that role then fair enough. If they want to discuss the merits of our set pieces then again fair enough as it would at least be a conversation about his actual role in the coaching set up.

I don’t know if David Gray is the man to manage Hibs, appointing him would certainly be a bigger gamble than other names being mentioned and I’m not saying it’s what we should do, but I do believe he’d have done a better job than the last three managers.