hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Ben Kensell

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think it's worth getting upset about what someone else earns - that's just life. Good for him if he could negotiate a good deal for himself.
    When it could pay a decent wedge for a players salary then yes it is worth questioning.

And when it’s considerably more than his counter parts.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    I don't think it's worth getting upset about what someone else earns - that's just life. Good for him if he could negotiate a good deal for himself.
    Yeah a lot of teeth gnashing on here, I couldn't give a **** what he or anyone else earns at hibs and Im not going to get all angry and shout and scream on here about it, Im more interested in getting that bunch of players gelling and getting some points on the board, hibs performances hurt me more

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Yeah a lot of teeth gnashing on here, I couldn't give a **** what he or anyone else earns at hibs and Im not going to get all angry and shout and scream on here about it, Im more interested in getting that bunch of players gelling and getting some points on the board, hibs performances hurt me more
    Because the two things are linked.

If you are paying absolute top dollar for a CEO, much higher than clubs who are deemed our main competitors yet actually have higher revenue a than us, then that CEO is expected to get things right when it comes to the most important side, the footballing part.

Nobody would care what he earned if we were sitting third, but we ain't we are bottom 6 so the club that he runs on a daily basis is failing. That is why the money he is paid is under scrutiny.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post

If you are paying absolute top dollar for a CEO, much higher than clubs who are deemed our main competitors yet actually have higher revenue a than us, then that CEO is expected to get things right when it comes to the most important side, the footballing part.

Nobody would care what he earned if we were sitting third, but we ain't we are bottom 6 so the club that he runs on a daily basis is failing. That is why the money he is paid is under scrutiny.
    I reckon hibs and Hearts will both have about £15 Million income this year, Aberdeen had that last year but will be more this due to group football. The only difference is Hearts are getting £5 mil from Anderson and £2 mil from their fans. We would never be able to match that gap organically. If Kensell has been instrumental in getting Folley to come in and plug that gap he will be worth the money. Everything is riding on that delivering. It's a shame yet another manager has failed as he has been backed but I'll give it until the summer as I've heard it'll be the biggest change in squad in years and quite exciting

@hibs.net private member

Yeah and I get all that however its no secret BK and others were on big salaries and its been exacerbated by recent reports of his wage rise, prior to that we heard very little other than criticism of his role

Correct also that if we were 3rd then this subject would probably have been more muted but the correlation between his own role/performances and salary has had an impact on Montgomerys management/signings and onfield performances and has rightly pissed off a lot of fans, especially since we pay a lot of our hard earned cash into the club

However Im still not going to get all het up and angry about it and being all shouty on here wont change things, they board could all run around Arthurs Seat naked wearing traffic cones on their heads for all I care, I just want a decent performance and a bit of passion on the pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    I reckon hibs and Hearts will both have about £15 Million income this year, Aberdeen had that last year but will be more this due to group football. The only difference is Hearts are getting £5 mil from Anderson and £2 mil from their fans. We would never be able to match that gap organically. If Kensell has been instrumental in getting Folley to come in and plug that gap he will be worth the money. Everything is riding on that delivering. It's a shame yet another manager has failed as he has been backed but I'll give it until the summer as I've heard it'll be the biggest change in squad in years and quite exciting
    Even if we say the revenue between us Hearts and Aberdeen is narrowing he's still paid double what his equivalent at those clubs are.

I can't see any justification for his level of salary when you compare how poorly the footballing side has performed in his time with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    they board could all run around Arthurs Seat naked wearing traffic cones on their heads for all I care, I just want a decent performance and a bit of passion on the pitch
    That's a great idea, give them a forfeit if we don't finish top six. We might just become more successful that way.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Even if we say the revenue between us Hearts and Aberdeen is narrowing he's still paid double what his equivalent at those clubs are.

I can't see any justification for his level of salary when you compare how poorly the footballing side has performed in his time with us.
    He's just about doubled our income since joining the club, i'd say it's money well spent.

The football could be better, but the man has done an amazing job in bringing money in, and that is about to go through the roof soon, with the plan to make us 3rd best regularly if they get that right.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    He's just about doubled our income since joining the club, i'd say it's money well spent.

The football could be better, but the man has done an amazing job in bringing money in, and that is about to go through the roof soon, with the plan to make us 3rd best regularly if they get that right.
    Great. We can all enjoy the premium prices in the hospitality areas whilst languishing in the bottom 6 whilst Herts enjoy another season of group stage European football.

Pioneers looks brilliant though.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar

Tbh mate, I’m not sure if we were sitting in third comfy like Hearts are that his wage would be justified.

To be on double what the others are on is madness.

I wonder what Celtic and Rangers pay theirs?

So that justifies more than double what the others are on?

I’ve just asked this, but I wonder what Celtic and Rangers’ CEO’s are on.

He is making an absolute stealing with that wage.

He’s also failing miserably where it matters for 99% of the people that support the club.

He has absolutely identified areas to increase the cash flow but another one is on the pitch, and he has failed there.

@hibs.net private member
    Great. We can all enjoy the premium prices in the hospitality areas whilst languishing in the bottom 6 whilst Herts enjoy another season of group stage European football.

Have you been in the Pioneers ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    So that justifies more than double what the others are on?

I’ve just asked this, but I wonder what Celtic and Rangers’ CEO’s are on.

He is making an absolute stealing with that wage.

He’s also failing miserably where it matters for 99% of the people that support the club.

He has absolutely identified areas to increase the cash flow but another one is on the pitch, and he has failed there.
    I think both CEO at Sevco and Celtic are on £750k. When you consider they are running a far larger business, in Celtic's case a business turning over in excess of £100 million the salary to turnover percentage is far lower.

BK's salary as a percentage of business turnover is likely to be the highest in the league. People can make their own decision on whether or not that's justified.

Genuine question, what are the facts behind him doubling our revenue?

I saw a poster earlier referencing figures from 2018 and the most recent year and it wasn't close to double, more like a 10% increase in revenue.

Not being wide, just genuinely trying to get the facts.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    I think both CEO at Sevco and Celtic are on £750k. When you consider they are running a far larger business, in Celtic's case a business turning over in excess of £100 million the salary to turnover percentage is far lower.

BK's salary as a percentage of business turnover is likely to be the highest in the league. People can make their own decision on whether or not that's justified.
    Folk are shouting and screaming about it without having a clue what (if any) variances they are to what Ben does

I'd be very surprised if his remit is identical to a job with a market rate of £150k

It's something I'd like to know or understand though - and it's a legitimate question to ask

Not sure why some get so angry over it to be honest - makes me slightly uncomfortable

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

I’ve just had a look.

As per latest accounts:

Celtic’s CEO is on £750K but they bring in 10 times more revenue than us. So if he was paid at a rate that BK is, he’d be on what £3.2-3.5M?

Rangers highest paid director was paid £350K. Their revenue was 6.5 times what ours is. So again, if he was paid at the same rate as BK he’d be on £2.3M.

As you said, per turnover BK is undoubtedly on the highest salary in the league.

For me, he’s not justified that at all. In fact, for the wages (set against turnover) he receives, we should be sweeping up domestically, but that’s my opinion.

As a percentage of revenue the wages of the CEO’s are:
    Hibs 2.9%
    Celtic 0.6%
    Rangers 0.4%
    Last edited by Alex Trager; 07-02-2024 at 07:23 AM.

I'm quite surprised at his salary. All the roles you see advertised by Hibs over the last few years look to pay an absolute pittance for what's involved. For example there was one looking for a permanent full time electrician (im sure) and the salary was something like £25k a year. I suppose the person at the top will always earn more but we don't look like very good payers in general.

Edit - it was actually £32k but some of the other ones are *****. Link below.

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/articl...e-team-at-hibs
    Last edited by Since452; 07-02-2024 at 07:41 AM.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

Who's telling you to pay for hospitality? I suppose we could sack him and not do any of the good work he's done in raising revenue and try and compete with an £8m turnover.

Kensell joined the club in summer 2019.

Our accounts to June 19’ show a top level turnover of £10.8m

Our latest accounts to June 23’ show turnover of £12.3m

He has not nearly doubled our turnover, it has increased by 14% - and expenditure looks out of control.

Whilst it’s probably fair to say our commercial income has risen by slightly more than 14% in this 3 year period, as CEO he is responsible for the running of the entire club. Diminishing prize money is on him too, as he continues to lurch from one footballing disaster to the next.

Guy needs emptied pronto

Quote Originally Posted by SickBoy32 View Post

He has not nearly doubled our turnover, it has increased by 14% - and expenditure looks out of control.

Whilst it’s probably fair to say our commercial income has risen by slightly more than 14% in this 3 year period, as CEO he is responsible for the running of the entire club. Diminishing prize money is on him too, as he continues to lurch from one footballing disaster to the next.

Guy needs emptied pronto
    That's that particular claim blown out the water then.

Gamer IDs

Guy needs emptied pronto
    It's a pretty one sided view

I believe kensell always wanted a DoF in place but was overruled in that

They admitted there errors and we now have a more sensible structure in the football side

You surely don't lay all the blame for our current poor form at the feet of the CEO do you?

This think we appointed him July 2021? So has had 21/22 and 22/23 seasons with this one being his 3rd

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    All seems unnecessarily personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post

They admitted there errors and we now have a more sensible structure in the football side

You surely don't lay all the blame for our current poor form at the feet of the CEO do you?

This think we appointed him July 2021? So has had 21/22 and 22/23 seasons with this one being his 3rd

Yeah you’re right - it was summer 2021 that Kensell arrived rather than 2019 that I’d mentioned in my previous post.

I lay most of the blame at his door aye, he runs the club so must surely be held responsible for it?

This is now our 3rd ***** season on the bounce under his watch, after Kensell and the Gordons dismantled the previous footballing setup which had us finish 3rd and be regulars in cup finals.

His salary being double our direct competitors is bizarre as well, potentially shows a naivety on the owners part IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    All seems unnecessarily personal.
    As far as I can see the vast majority of the posts are not personal in the slightest. Posters are discussing whether we are getting value for money from an extremely well paid CEO, his salary is public knowledge and therefore open to discussion.

Asking whether a CEO is performing to a level consummate with their performance is not personal. It goes with the territory with these type of roles.

Guy needs emptied pronto
    To be fair to him the turnovers from seasons 18/19 through to 21/22 probably include a lot of competition money from the semi-finals/finals we managed to get to. But last year was an unmitigated disaster on the park cup wise and to still have the turnover rise by the amount it has without that additional money maybe means commercial stuff has gotten a lot better?

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post

What “structure” is there to the football side?

We just had another transfer window where the glaring deficiencies in defence were ignored again, and we still have a lightweight team with shrinking violets all over the park.

He wields far too much power for my liking, and I suspect any manager with an ounce of forceful personality will never get near the hotseat while the bold Benny boy is in charge.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    To be fair to him the turnovers from seasons 18/19 through to 21/22 probably include a lot of competition money from the semi-finals/finals we managed to get to. But last year was an unmitigated disaster on the park cup wise and to still have the turnover rise by the amount it has without that additional money maybe means commercial stuff has gotten a lot better?
    It continues to improve.

It wouldn't surprise me if this season's turnover is similar to Hearts'.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Leither View Post

We just had another transfer window where the glaring deficiencies in defence were ignored again, and we still have a lightweight team with shrinking violets all over the park.

He wields far too much power for my liking, and I suspect any manager with an ounce of forceful personality will never get near the hotseat while the bold Benny boy is in charge.
    What has he done specifically to show he wields far too much power?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Leither View Post

How does our structure now differ from say, hearts?

I'm sure in December we were fourth and looking likely to go above hearts - I don't remember my posts then about structure

Since then of course on the park we have had a horrendous run of results - I don't see how that's all Ben Kensells fault though

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    I’d mentioned that in my earlier post, that prize money will have taken a big hit from previous accounts, so the commercial side likely is performing well.

However, the sporting performance is (or should be!) a major part of his remit. He has failed spectacularly on that front, with what looks like 3 poor managerial appointments.