hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Does anyone have an idea as to what our tactics were today?

I genuinely didn't have a clue what we were trying to do? Anyone help.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let me know if you find out.

Asking St Mirren boss what we shouldn't have done might help?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Second half was a free for all, still trying to guess the first half.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Whatever they were, they didn’t consist of trying having shots at goal.

I think for the next game we should maybe try and have some. Certainly has to be worth a try.

Nope, been the same for a while now, there doesnt seem to be any.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Whatever they were, they didn’t consist of trying having shots at goal.

I think for the next game we should maybe try and have some. Certainly has to be worth a try.
    Kicking the round thing towards the big net type thing between the two sticks increases the chance of a positive outcome.

Christian Doidge tried it for his new team today.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Same as every game under Nick.

Touchline tango.

We HARDLY EVER play through the centre into the penalty box.

The game today was hard to fathom and almost as bad as it has ever been. There was so much wrong, particularly first half that it’s hard to know where to start.

The formation switch seemed to be an issue and we had no actual game plan. The new signings for the most part seemed to weaken the team. Many of the players were disinterested. Youan was the worst culprit.

I have been an advocate of Montgomery and I still think he needs more time and our support. There needs to be an immediate improvement though

In Monty’s first month or so, there were some noticeable patterns of play. Things like the moves that led to Tavares’s goals against Ross County at home and Dundee away. Campbells goal at St Mirren.

Since December we’ve struggled to string 2 passes together. Either the players are confused or they’ve got bored and given up.

Any manager worth their salt would have changed things today and tried to be more solid. Play for a clean sheet and hope we grab a goal. To persist with similar tactics week after week when we’re losing these goals…. He deserves the sack

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    In Monty’s first month or so, there were some noticeable patterns of play. Things like the moves that led to Tavares’s goals against Ross County at home and Dundee away. Campbells goal at St Mirren.

Since December we’ve struggled to string 2 passes together. Either the players are confused or they’ve got bored and given up.

Any manager worth their salt would have changed things today and tried to be more solid. Play for a clean sheet and hope we grab a goal. To persist with similar tactics week after week when we’re losing these goals…. He deserves the sack
    It’s no always been brilliant since he came in but the drop in performance levels since mid December has been incredible. I’m no seeing it improving any time soon, it’s just went completely to ****.

If the manager doesn’t know how are supposed to know

Nope, first thing I noticed was lack of structure and tactics. It was an unholy mess. That's all on the Manager.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I say this after every game. There isn’t a clear tactic that I can see. I don’t know what style of play he’s trying to employ. I see lots of short sideways passes before someone belts it upfield; that isn’t much of a tactic.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Nope, first thing I noticed was lack of structure and tactics. It was an unholy mess. That's all on the Manager.
    It also comes from having such an inexperienced back four IMO. But that’s on the manager as well. I honestly can’t believe we didn’t sign a proper centre half.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    It’s no always been brilliant since he came in but the drop in performance levels since mid December has been incredible. I’m no seeing it improving any time soon, it’s just went completely to ****.
    Montgomery probably isn’t going to survive, but a factor in that is the same players reverting to type IMO, which has seen off numerous managers.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Montgomery probably isn’t going to survive, but a factor in that is the same players reverting to type IMO, which has seen off numerous managers.
    Agree. Said elsewhere, the next guy will come in and they’ll talk about how good it is etc. Then when the going gets tough after the first couple of months they’ll disappear and it’ll all be back on the manager again.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    I’m sure the tactics are Marshall to newell who passes to obita then on to fish who squares it to Whittaker who the punts it up the field to imposter jair who loses the ball and then we are on the back foot.

Instead of going to Dubai the manager might have spent some time brushing up on our opponents today. St Mirren are decent and we seem to have had no plans to compete or nullify them- it was embarrassing how exposed we were

Pick the jerseys out the bag, see what numbers appear, team chosen. Tell them to run around on the pitch passing it backwards. Then further into the game change half the team when the great St Mirren are 3 nil up. Then tells everyone that it’s not acceptable and he’ll learn from it. Groudhog Day.
    Last edited by Real Emerald; 03-02-2024 at 08:11 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Majority of possession…..zero shots on target first half. All too familiar tail over the last few years. Combine this with losing soft as sxxx goals and it’s pretty dreadful stuff!

I love 4-4-2 because, as an old guy who has never had a clue about tactics, I know where folk are playing. The other formations baffle me and I have no idea who's doing what when I see the team lines

But I'm an old guy who knows nothing about tactics. I wouldn't listen to me.

First Team Breakthrough
    Sorry no.Utter shambles that performance.First 45 minutes were the worst I can remember.The manager has till this time next week to sort it out or he is / should be history

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    Same as every game under Nick.

Touchline tango.

We HARDLY EVER play through the centre into the penalty box.
    And then when we do manage to get it up the other end, we're as likely to go back to halfway as we are to cross the bloody ball into the box!

@hibs.net private member
    Whatever the tactics are, and regardless of formation or manager, a lot of games have felt remarkably similar for two and a bit years now! Centre backs passing it slowly across the pitch to 'control the game'. Needs to be better for me, Clive.

In the first couple of months you could see he was trying to put a style of play in. It was minging to watch but it was something. Today was very concerning, with a tough run of games ahead.

How come other clubs, like St Mirren, can be well drilled, fit and greater than the sum of their parts? Why can we never have that?

Under no circumstances take a shot , if you are even thinking of having a shot give ball to newell and Levitt to usher back to defence .

Folk keep saying Monty is stubbornly sticking with 442 but I actually have no idea whether that's our format or not, such is the utter incoherence to our play. Tactics? They seem non existent.

@hibs.net private member
    I’ve had no idea how he expects this to be succesful since he came in the door.

Loads of folk claimed they could see what he was trying to do previously. I’d love some sort of explanation as to what he’s trying to do and how it can be successful.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    I love 4-4-2 because, as an old guy who has never had a clue about tactics, I know where folk are playing. The other formations baffle me and I have no idea who's doing what when I see the team lines

But I'm an old guy who knows nothing about tactics. I wouldn't listen to me.
    That you Monty?

It's The Full Monty...

Totally exposed at the back and very little up front.