hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monty on trial?

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Monty on trial?

No doubt the manager will be delighted to get the new guys on board in January. However, with the new investment there is bound to be pressure and expectations for him to get the team playing good football, winning matches and climbing the table.

There is always pressure on a Hibs manager, but do you think he is essentially on trial to the end of the season to see if he is the man to lead this project?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Definitely on triall as he should be. Not sure it ends at the end of the season though.

I think he is/was irrespective of the investment. As much as I’ve supported him and think there are plenty of reasons why we are where we are, he needs to start winning more games, simple as that.

@hibs.net private member
    Yes.

If we’re starting to look at signing guys like Emiliano and we want to be best of the rest then it stands to reason that a manager who fails to hit our minimum targets should that come to pass won’t be kept around to manage them.

Anything short of 5th and he’ll be gone imo. 5th might not even be enough.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 03-02-2024 at 09:27 AM.

It's much more his team now so I think there will be an expectation of marked improvement between now and the end of the season.

I think 3rd is gone but comfortably top 6 and in the mix for 4th should be where we are come May.

He'll get the summer barring a total disaster but we will need to start well next season. With extra cash and higher ambitions comes added expectation and pressure. The 'historically that's about right for us' stuff just isn't going to fly anymore and rightly so.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Can he play centre back?

Every manager is on trial once they put their own mark on a team, he's been well backed this window and has to start getting performances and some wins.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Every manager is on trial once they put their own mark on a team, he's been well backed this window and has to start getting performances and some wins.
    Yeah, every manager is on trial and has a relationship with his board.

However, this summer is a whole new thing with major investment and a minor shareholder who, whilst not running the club, will have an influential say in the leadership going forward.

Monty, I think, will have to prove he can get an exciting tune out of this squad to show himself worthy as the man to be in charge of the team going forward. Exciting prospect but a lot of pressure on him I think.

I wish him well and hope he proves himself.

As it’s already been said most managers are on trial and it’s just the nature of the game nowadays.
    I personally think that even the managers need more than one transfer window to build a side

The same thought went through my head.

A lot of players on loan, potential to complete change the squad in the summer and new inventors. A lot of fans not convinced yet and his next few league games - St Mirren, Celtic, Aberdeen, Dundee and Hearts are massive. Realistically need 3 wins minimum from that and a couple of draws.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Spence View Post
    As it’s already been said most managers are on trial and it’s just the nature of the game nowadays.
    I personally think that even the managers need more than one transfer window to build a side
    I don’t think a manager should only be judged on their ability to build a side.

If you sack one manager for underachieving, then the next one has to get better results otherwise they’re also underachieving

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I'm not basing this on anything, but i just get the feeling our new investors will have an influence on us getting a new manager, and the first sign of a bad run he will be gone, and someone they have their eye on will be appointed very quickly.

I don’t get why people constantly look to undermine our manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Can he play centre back?
    Can he play anything beyond the Limited 442

Thats the question

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    Want him to succeed but was outplayed first half by Forfar

That's alarm Bells & is a wake up call, not undermining

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    No doubt the manager will be delighted to get the new guys on board in January. However, with the new investment there is bound to be pressure and expectations for him to get the team playing good football, winning matches and climbing the table.

There is always pressure on a Hibs manager, but do you think he is essentially on trial to the end of the season to see if he is the man to lead this project?
    Yawn, as always at a real exiting time for our club the FM judges sit on the bench black caps on just waiting, ffs, support the club.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by A Hi-Bee View Post
    Yawn, as always at a real exiting time for our club the FM judges sit on the bench black caps on just waiting, ffs, support the club.
    Dramatic

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    It's the nature of the beast that he's on trial, this is his side now, as much as it's going to be. Seven signings in has to make a difference.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    Yes, I can't understand that either. It feels like we've some posters who are so unbelievably perfect in everything that they do that they feel the need to criticise at the first sign of something that is below their standards. The first thread about Maolida was a perfect example. FFS, give them a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Dramatic

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Yes, I can't understand that either. It feels like we've some posters who are so unbelievably perfect in everything that they do that they feel the need to criticise at the first sign of something that is below their standards. The first thread about Maolida was a perfect example. FFS, give them a chance!
    Place is full of undercover ones.

Don't know about trial but if Inverness knock us out the cup and we finish bottom 6 then he's gonna have a problem. Flip that around though and we win the cup and finish 4th. Then he is a hero. Results driven business so in that respect I'd say every manager is on trial.

Probably. But if we're not winning 5-0 at HT today then please give the boos a rest for a week or two until things bed in a bit.

A new era starts today. Buzzing

Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    Can he play anything beyond the Limited 442

Thats the question
    Like a 4231 like we did in the last game (tin hat on) 😁

Blog Entries
    It’s not a case of undermining the manager or boo boys unable to wait to see the team fail.

It’s the fact that we are at the start of something new, something exciting. Something I have never witnessed in my 40 odd years supporting Hibs. Major investment by a billionaire..

Monty happens to be the incumbent and it’s a great opportunity for him and I hope he has us flying. However, if he doesn’t I just feel he might not get the time he deserves because of the standards set from the new investors.

Really don’t want this thread to be a ‘slag the manager’ type thing, it would be pressure for anyone, but I feel we have to accept things are different now and he has to deliver. He will know this of course and hopefully will thrive on it.

Really hope we see a good performance today even if the result isn't exactly what we want. If performances improve he'll build a bit of good will from those who doubt him - especially me.

He's under big pressure especially with the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    It’s not a case of undermining the manager or boo boys unable to wait to see the team fail.

It’s the fact that we are at the start of something new, something exciting. Something I have never witnessed in my 40 odd years supporting Hibs. Major investment by a billionaire..

Monty happens to be the incumbent and it’s a great opportunity for him and I hope he has us flying. However, if he doesn’t I just feel he might not get the time he deserves because of the standards set from the new investors.

Really don’t want this thread to be a ‘slag the manager’ type thing, it would be pressure for anyone, but I feel we have to accept things are different now and he has to deliver. He will know this of course and hopefully will thrive on it.
    Foley was very quick to get rid of O'Neil and replace him Iraola, if he has the same powers at Hibs to influence then he could do the same here.

Feels a wee bit like we are ready to pass sentence ?. For what it's worth imo barring a disaster this year in we don't make the top 6 ( which I don't think will happen) Monty should remain as Hibs manager next season.

Next season we have another rebuilding job to do to the squad again and the last thing we need on top of that is another managerial change also. Club badly needs some stability .

Monty's has put his own stamp on the team with all the players he's taken in and hopefully they all hit the ground running though some might need a wee bit of time to settle or gel with the team .

After all the talk about McInnes , Lennon and I think Ian Murray was even mentioned at one point too I'm probably more in the Monty camp than I was before . 👍

Realistically, every manager is always on trial, if anything the investment and new signings further raise the stakes.

I hope he can turn it around!