hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Must happens:

- Fourth
    - Good cup run, if we draw the uglies can’t argue going out, but a semi final would be minimum requirement based on good draws

Would be nice:

- consistency in performances
    - laying a glove / points of the uglies
    - beat hearts

Must nots / risk of losing the fans from Monty perspective

- finish bottom six
    - knocked out cup by a lesser team
    - dull football, been backed time to see some attacking energetic football

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is generally fair however needs to be subjective.

5th place I agree with.

Cup semi I agree with but if we draw the old firm, especially away, next round (not to assume we are guaranteed to pass Inverness) then I don’t think that can be held against him.

Derby win I also agree with but if he managed the other two objectives and two Derby draws I’m certainly not going to be calling for his head.
    Would agree with this.

The cup should pretty much be a case of not losing to teams we shouldn’t be losing to.

5th place, no slip ups in the cup unless it’s against the OF, Hearts or potentially Aberdeen and a win at home in the last derby of the season. That would be enough imo. I think the league is the big one though. Fail to take what will almost certainly be one of the 5 European spots then he’s completely failed and taken us backwards imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Strongly disagree. Montgomery has to show he can get results and performances sharpish especially, now he's had a transfer window. He's been backed now so there are no excuses. He needs to show big improvement. We cant wait almost a calendar year from now to judge him.
    You didn't even wait one match and you were on him.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Strongly disagree. Montgomery has to show he can get results and performances sharpish especially, now he's had a transfer window. He's been backed now so there are no excuses. He needs to show big improvement. We cant wait almost a calendar year from now to judge him.
    Out of curiosity, what would it take for you to back him? How many games of an unbeaten/winning run etc?

Left by mutual consent!
    Well I'm in what may be termed the 'Happy Clapper's' camp. Not because I think everything will be perfect and all our signings will be awesome (though they will be!) But because it's the only intelligent position to adopt. What I think will have no impact on anything so I may as well think good things rather than be a miserable naysayer. Vive la Hibs! 🎉🎉😁😁

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    Must happens:

- Fourth
    - Good cup run, if we draw the uglies can’t argue going out, but a semi final would be minimum requirement based on good draws

Would be nice:

- consistency in performances
    - laying a glove / points of the uglies
    - beat hearts

Must nots / risk of losing the fans from Monty perspective

- finish bottom six
    - knocked out cup by a lesser team
    - dull football, been backed time to see some attacking energetic football
    I’d be moving the bit about beating Hearts to must happen. Manager needs some of that type of result to build a bit of good will.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireHibs View Post
    Well I'm in what may be termed the 'Happy Clapper's' camp. Not because I think everything will be perfect and all our signings will be awesome (though they will be!) But because it's the only intelligent position to adopt. What I think will have no impact on anything so I may as well think good things rather than be a miserable naysayer. Vive la Hibs!
    That's the boat I sail in too.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    Well I'm in what may be termed the 'Happy Clapper's' camp. Not because I think everything will be perfect and all our signings will be awesome (though they will be!) But because it's the only intelligent position to adopt. What I think will have no impact on anything so I may as well think good things rather than be a miserable naysayer. Vive la Hibs! 🎉🎉😁😁
    I believe you are right, it’s the only intelligent / sensible option. We can’t keep swapping managers. We are where we are today because we’ve recruited poorly on the manager front and because we’ve then needed to be trigger happy and as a result we’ve had window after window of short term fixes that don’t work. Our poorish squad had been six windows in the making. So yes these are short term fixes again (albeit perhaps of better quality) but let’s see where we are after the summer window and then let’s see how something that’s been given time to be built performs. I know not everyone’s view but Aberdeen are a good example of a trigger happy club. Let’s not be like Aberdeen 😂

Generally very pleased with the way the window has gone, those brought in look to be a higher standard than we had access to before.
    Slight note of caution, remember the loan heavy Fenlon team that stumbled through to the cup final. The accusations were the loaners weren’t that bothered…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Time will tell whether the ins and outs this month see us faring better than we did pre-window.

What I will say though, is that there’s no way we’d have that amount of ins and outs if NM was happy with the squad he inherited. So that in itself suggests he sees what we see; a squad riddled with mediocrity and an acceptance of that mediocrity from said squad given not one single player looked like he wanted to grab a game by the scruff of the neck or looked like he would run through a brick wall for the shirt.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wachibs View Post
    Generally very pleased with the way the window has gone, those brought in look to be a higher standard than we had access to before.
    Slight note of caution, remember the loan heavy Fenlon team that stumbled through to the cup final. The accusations were the loaners weren’t that bothered…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone seems to be looking at this through the loan prism and ignoring the other elephant in the room. What if our existing, pre-window players down tools? Let's face it, the writing is on the wall for most of them, if not all of them. They wouldn't be the first bunch to start looking to their own future and playing within themselves. If these new players come in and set new standards that our older guys can't match then I think they're the one's we have to worry about. It will be very interesting to see the line up tomorrow, and possibly even more interesting will be the team after 90 minutes, when the subs are on. That will tell us more than anything I suspect.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Everyone seems to be looking at this through the loan prism and ignoring the other elephant in the room. What if our existing, pre-window players down tools? Let's face it, the writing is on the wall for most of them, if not all of them. They wouldn't be the first bunch to start looking to their own future and playing within themselves. If these new players come in and set new standards that our older guys can't match then I think they're the one's we have to worry about. It will be very interesting to see the line up tomorrow, and possibly even more interesting will be the team after 90 minutes, when the subs are on. That will tell us more than anything I suspect.
    Like they did in December and Jan to date.

A professional footballer should have the wherewithal to dig deep now and face the challenge head on. If not, they're no good to us and cya in the Summer.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    There’s as much chance that if the new guys perform they will drag the long the long termers up with them as them downing tools. Team games are like that.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hell no

Not when lots of folk have already written him off :-)

I predict we will show promising signs of improvement for a while

By the end of which time some of his most vehement denouncers will have him labelled as the next SAF

We will then slide back to mediocrity but those self same folk will still proclaim him noisily as they can’t change their minds again and deal only in hyperbole so can’t say he is okay

Seen it with at least 3 players in current team

Honestly speaking though I wish the guy all the best, I hope his drastic pruning of the squad he inherited continues as it has been long overdue drastic surgery

@hibs.net private member
    Couldn’t agree more. I watch Hibs to enjoy it, not because I gain it loose anything based on out results. The folk who are bursting blood vessels at poor performances can’t be enjoying it.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    There’s as much chance that if the new guys perform they will drag the long the long termers up with them as them downing tools. Team games are like that.
    I agree, I was just playing devils advocate as a few posters were making it look like only the loan players could be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Out of curiosity, what would it take for you to back him? How many games of an unbeaten/winning run etc?
    Results are important, of course they are but i'd start to back him if the performances improved more than anything. I'd take that as a sign that his plan was starting to work and the results should start to follow. It's been an incredibly poor watch under Montgomery for the last few months at least. It should be getting better not worse. I want to enjoy watching Hibs and haven't under this manager so far.

What i will say for him is he does have a plan/system he wants to play. With seven new players this month we should hopefully see signs of that plan working. It's really up to him now.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    Couldn’t agree more. I watch Hibs to enjoy it, not because I gain it loose anything based on out results. The folk who are bursting blood vessels at poor performances can’t be enjoying it.
    Exactly, I've supported Hibs for almost 50 years, ups and downs, but it's always been interesting, added value to my life and it's occasionally been awesome. But real life, the truly important things, happen elsewhere.

@hibs.net private member
    Results are important, of course they are but i'd start to back him if the performances improved more than anything. I'd take that as a sign that his plan was starting to work and the results should start to follow. It's been an incredibly poor watch under Montgomery for the last few months at least. It should be getting better not worse. I want to enjoy watching Hibs and haven't under this manager so far.

What i will say for him is he does have a plan/system he wants to play. With seven new players this month we should hopefully see signs of that plan working. It's really up to him now.
    Think that’s a fair summary.

He has a way he wants to play and won’t stray from it. It’s not been working so far, we’ve signed 7 players to try and make it work. I’d expect to see a significant improvement going forward.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Think that’s a fair summary.

He has a way he wants to play and won’t stray from it. It’s not been working so far, we’ve signed 7 players to try and make it work. I’d expect to see a significant improvement going forward.
    I always travel more in hope than expectation, but yes improvement is expected from me too. There's also a bit scepticism, there's seven signings, but all have some proviso or another attached. That said, I do think we have the nucleus of a good football team here already, these guys, even three-four regular starters from them, that will help a lot.

Really looking forward to tomorrow, it's a great chance for the new guys to lift the side and the fans (and give Monty a boost too, he has been under pressure). I hope the likes of Marcondes, Amos and Maolida can make a difference, provide a bit more cutting edge and quality.

Optimism, but at least hoping for an eventful end to the season and a bit entertainment on the field.

@hibs.net private member
    I just hope with such a large turnover of bodies that they can gel quickly as a team, we really don’t have the time left of the season for players to bed in.