hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post winter transfer window discussion

Thought I’d start a thread as for some reason OP felt the need to close the last one even though there was decent discussion.

How do people feel we have done this window?

7/10 for me. A lot more depth and got rid of some deadwood but just slightly concerned with the amount of young loanees.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDoidge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thought I’d start a thread as for some reason OP felt the need to close the last one even though there was decent discussion.

7/10 for me. A lot more depth and got rid of some deadwood but just slightly concerned with the amount of young loanees.
    Thanks for starting this after the other was inexplicably closed.

Excited to see what the new boys can bring, greater depth is welcome and should have some decent options on the bench now going forward.

Done a bit of both in this window, youth and experience.
    I think we will see a younger squad being built under Monty, guys with real energy, drive and pace. Midfielder's who will get around the pitch.

January window just closed and I'm already looking forward to what we do in the summer.

It looks like we’ve done well to me.

Marcondes looks like the type of player and position we were crying out for.

We’ve got a bit of youth and (presumably) energy, which fits the way Monty wants to play a bit better.

A few players who haven’t made much of an impact on the first team have either moved on permanently or to get some much needed game time on loan.

@hibs.net private member
    Happy with it, some real excitement with the quality of some, I think the squad was well over due a shake up with a bit of ruthlessness needed I think we’ve seen the start of that with more to come in the summer with players out of contract as well, looking
    Forward to the game tomorrow some already a few weeks in and the others showing what they have

@hibs.net private member
    Think Marcondes will be an almost undoubted success.

After that, it’ll just be a case of seeing what happens with the rest of them imo.

First Team Regular
    Generally an Interesting window. Lots of potential freshening up. We need to stick with this manager and let him succeed or fail with players in his own style.

Wondering already if the ‘few million’ in the Summer might mean Marcondes is not completely out of reach.

Really looking forward to the game tomorrow now.

Marcondes is the level of player we need if we want to progress.

Lots of the players we have brought in lack experience so there are risks.

Expect energy and hunger though and a few surprises along the way. Most of the loans have a point to prove and need to do well to get careers moving forward.

If nothing else it should be exciting to see how the new players fit in.

Reality is that we have 16 games left plus Scottish Cup games - so 17 currently.

Getting a team out playing that isn't different every week will be important for consistency and cohesion especially in the back line so we stop leaking goals.

No idea how we've done and the proof will be in the pudding.
    What we usually do is hail how good a transfer window is simply on numbers. Most bemoaning the quality of the squad but last transfer window was lauded brilliant at the time, and the one before.

Each signing is a gamble and could go either way. Lots of exciting names in there but just have to see how we go.

On one hand, Miaolda, Marcondes, Amos have all got pedigree and already seen with Marcondes he has quality in abundance. Don't know a lot about Noriah-Welsh though we needed centre backs and the 2 young lads from their reels look talented, front footed ball playing centre backs. The young lad from Sunderland is young but exciting prospect.

On the other hand, we were ideally looking for players to hit the ground running and experienced centre back at least so probably missed that criteri though granted January is a difficult window. Lots of kids in there and short term loans - what will the attitudes and applications be like? Not much men's football between a lot of them and bringing in such a big number has other risks, will they all gel? Parterships on the park,? Dressing room/team spirit? What does it say to our own youth to bring in a raft of inexperienced kids on loan? Blaney must be ages with these centre halfs - can't get a look in but Southampton are sniffing.

Weighing it all up, not sure we had much other oprion than to roll the dice and take a gamble. I'm all for it and excited for the second half of the season. How it actually goes from here?, Piggy knows! Only results will dictate if it was a good window or not

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfDavidFrancey View Post
    Generally an Interesting window. Lots of potential freshening up. We need to stick with this manager and let him succeed or fail with players in his own style.

Wondering already if the ‘few million’ in the Summer might mean Marcondes is not completely out of reach.
    I'd imagine his wages for next season would probably be close to 1m? Unless he is happy to reduce his wages significantly I'd think he's out of reach. Maybe just maybe he will fall in love with Hibs 😁

It all hinges on one of the young centre halves coming in and being capable of making a difference for me. If that happens, it’ll have been a good window.

Marcondes is going to be a good player, that’s obvious. Saw enough from Maolida at Kilmarnock to suggest he will be as well.

We could be doing with one of the midfielders making an impact as well.

I think things will pick up again in the final third, if we don’t come out of it improved defensively though it won’t have been a success.

Not even going to attempt a rating out of 10 as i just don't know enough about the players. Will just need to see how we get on. Tomorrows team will be interesting.

I think we all agree Marcondes looks quality.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    I'd imagine his wages for next season would probably be close to 1m? Unless he is happy to reduce his wages significantly I'd think he's out of reach. Maybe just maybe he will fall in love with Hibs 😁
    He's currently on £780,000 at Bournemouth, so maybe that's where some of the BK money will go if we sign him next season?

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/afc-bournemouth/payroll/
    Last edited by ozwoody; 02-02-2024 at 09:20 AM.

Im looking forward to seeing more of Luke Amos, if he can recapture the form from before his injury he will be a top player for us.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ozwoody View Post
    He's currently on £780,000 at Bournemouth, so maybe that's where some of the BK money will go if we sign him next season?

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/afc-bournemouth/payroll/
    Those numbers are plucked out of thin air, clubs don’t publish individual players salaries.

A lot of loans but I think that was sensible.

Once the Black Knights/Foley investment is rubber stamped at the AGM this month, I imagine we'll be making signings in the summer that'll be at a higher level than the permanent players we have currently.

No use us signing lots of players now on permanent contracts when they'll most likely get replaced come summer. Players like McIntyre or Penrice, both 25 and solid enough, but we'll be shopping higher than them imo.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    On paper it's an 8.5/10.

We've signed more players than I was expecting, with a few stand outs in terms of the level they've been playing at.

My main worry is around how experienced they are and do we have any leaders in the team? Players might be talented but can they do it on a cold, wet night at Dingwall or when we're a goal down at Tynecastle etc? I'd have loved another player or two in the prime of their career, ideally with a knowledge of Scottish football. But that's a big ask in January.

Only time will tell.

Not getting my hopes up. It's asking a hell of a lot of so many young laddies to fit into a team halfway through a season. But at least we've addressed bits of the team that need addressed and sounds like Marcondes might be a bit of a gem.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I don't have any issues with loaning players this window, we've got a significant rebuild due in the summer and if we couldn't get players that are going to be good for us for 2-3 years, then loans make sense. Given what happened in 2012, I can understand the reluctance to go with them, but what gets lost is that those loan players kept us in the league and got us to a cup final. The pumping we took wasn't down to the number of loans we had, we were just not very good.

It is more important that we increased the quality of the squad between now and May, and start clearing the decks for the summer. I think we've done a bit of both. It's not just the players that we signed that are significant, the signings we didn't make (particularly contract extensions) are notable. As things stand, it doesn't look like there are new deals on the table for Hanlon, Stevenson, and Marshall, while Jeggo, Doidge, and McKirdy have all been moved on. I don't think we'll see McKirdy back, he was comfortable at Swindon and I fully expect him to want to stay there beyond this season and I don't think Hibs will stand in his way.

We've added some pace to the team, brought in two young centre halves (their inexperience is a concern, if I'm honest - but I'm more concerned about their ability, and if they're better than what we have then their experience doesn't really matter).

I don't think we will know if it's a good window or not until we see the team play and see what results they get.

What is certain, though, is that Monty has been backed. This is his squad, no question. He can't afford 4-5 weeks of settling in and getting players used to his system. The turnaround has to start tomorrow and the club and support should be comfortable in demanding an improvement now, there are no excuses for the manager from here.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

No idea - I've never heard of any of the new players!

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Those numbers are plucked out of thin air, clubs don’t publish individual players salaries.
    I've looked at multiple sites and they all say the same thing, that he's on bout £15,000 a week.
    Now, even if that's ballpark figure, it's well outside our wage structure.
    He's also a free agent at end of season, so we might as well enjoy him while he's here and that his goals will help us into Europe

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Probably as good as you can expect in January when you don’t have big money to throw around.

Based on these signings I’m keen to see what this summers permanent ones will look like.

I also think we’re going to have to get used to a fair number of loan players or people with us for a short time.

And I hate to say it, but we’ll probably be in the position for eternity that we’re waiting until the end of August for the likes of Bournemouth and Lorient to complete their squads before we know who we’re going to get on loan.

The early window, with the thin squad for European football (if we manage to qualify) is something I think we’re going to need to take on the chin.

Monty (or whoever our manager / coach is) is just going to need to get used to turnover of players and be ready to mould teams with what he has at his disposal quickly.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    We'll just have to wait and see, one or two of them look promising but it's difficult to tell until a few games have passed. Disappointed with the number of loans and have concerns about replacing our inexperienced players with other inexperienced players.

Monty will need to show a marked improvement over what we have seen so far. It looks like we were amongst the most active clubs in Scotland with transfers, so no excuses now.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Excellent window on paper anyway, hopefully it plays out well on the pitch.

Don't really understand some of the moaning we've seen, at the start of the window it was widely accepted here that we needed 3 or 4 starting signings up the spine of the team.

In Triantis, Amos, Marcondes and Maolida we got that, the 4 of them on paper are more than good enough to start for any team in our league outside the old firm - Triantis might be young but Montgomery clearly trusts him.

In addition to that we've got the two guys from Bournemouth and the Spanish forward on loan which in my eyes are just bonuses that will improve our depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    Excellent window on paper anyway, hopefully it plays out well on the pitch.

Don't really understand some of the moaning we've seen, at the start of the window it was widely accepted here that we needed 3 or 4 starting signings up the spine of the team.

In Triantis, Amos, Marcondes and Maolida we got that, the 4 of them on paper are more than good enough to start for any team in our league outside the old firm - Triantis might be young but Montgomery clearly trusts him.

In addition to that we've got the two guys from Bournemouth and the Spanish forward on loan which in my eyes are just bonuses that will improve our depth.
    Moriah-Welsh shouldn’t really be seen as a bonus IMO, he’s signed the longest term deal of the lot so we need to be looking at him making an impact.

Marcondes and Maolida are clearly players that would normally be out of our reach so they are the biggest positives. Hopefully Amos can get up to speed.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Overall I’m happy enough, but I’d hoped we’d have brought in no nonsense experienced centre half. Defence has been ropey for a while.

The 2 young guys might be quality, I’ve never seen them. But at the start of the window if you’d said we’d be signing 2 20 year old centre halfs to sort out our defensive problems…I’d have said thats not solving our defensive problems.

Feels like we brought in the most players in the UK ?

Not sure if any other teams added / moved out so many players ?!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    Feels like we brought in the most players in the UK ?

Not sure if any other teams added / moved out so many players ?!
    Think Motherwell and Ross County have been similar to us.

All 3 of us have had 7 in and lost 6.