hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Updated Squad

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    Quote Originally Posted by Brummie_Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've lost track of who are on loan, who are perm and who are away on loan.

Would somebody lovely and kind want to update that list with this info on it? Kisses and hugs...
    Keepers

David Marshall (P) contract ending
    JoJo Wollacott (P)
    Murray Johnson (P)

Right back

Lewis Miller (P)
    Chris Cadden (P)
    Kanayo Megwa (P)
    Rory Whittaker (P)

Centre back

Will Fish (L)
    Rocky Bushiri (P)
    Paul Hanlon (P) contract ending
    Nectar Triantis (L)
    Owen Bevan (L)

Left back

Jordan Obita (P)
    Lewis Stevenson (P) contract ending

Centre mid

Newell (P)
    Levitt (P)
    JDH (P)
    Moriah Welsh (P)
    Luke Amos (P)
    Campbell (P)

Wide midfielders

Jair (P)
    Eliezer Mayenda (L)

Strikers

Vente (P)
    Maolida (L)
    ALF (P) contract ending
    Marcondes (L)
    Boyle (P)
    Youan (P)

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Kay-Yay View Post
    Our squad numbers are healthier now, not bloated. Plus a lot of them will be away (loans) and out of contract in the summer which will, at the beginning, make our squad look paper thin again.

But that’s a good thing, it lets us build a new squad which most people were asking for anyway. Plus, the 2nd half of the season could now have a very different team from the first half. Again, what most people were asking for.

I think this strategy is sound. We have enough players with something to prove and finally getting rid of the old spine of the team which was the downfall for most of our goals against column.
    Current squad (thanks unseen work)

David Marshall
    JoJo Wollacott
    Murray Johnson

Miller
    Cadden
    Megwa
    Whittaker

Fish
    Bushiri
    Hanlon
    Triantis
    Bevan

Obita
    Stevenson

Newell
    Levitt
    JDH
    Moriah Welsh
    Amos
    Marcondes
    Campbell
    Rudi

Boyle
    Jair
    Youan
    Maolida

Vente
    ALF
    Eliezer Mayenda

29 players which could potentially become 20 in the summer when loan players and those out of contract leave.

JoJo Wollacott
    Murray Johnson

Miller
    Cadden
    Megwa
    Whittaker

Bushiri

Obita

Newell
    Levitt
    JDH
    Moriah Welsh
    Amos
    Campbell
    Rudi

Boyle
    Jair
    Youan

Vente
    McKirdy

I imagine we will look to offload some, if not all, of Wallacot, Levitt, JDH, Campbell, Youan and McKirdy. We could be looking at needing to sign 15 players in the summer.

@hibs.net private member
    Keepers

<SNIP>
    Youan (P)

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Agree. We've gone back to pre January 2023 transfer window levels after working so hard to trim the squad after comments from the previous manager that there were players moping around the training ground knowing they weren't going to be playing. Bloated squad. Interesting strategy.
    Considering the s*** show and compete lack of depth he left behind, was said previous manager correct?

Also the players he was referring to were the likes of Steven Bradley and Runar Hauge, do you not agree that Marcondes and Maolida are on a different level to them? The players who were moping around knowing they wouldn’t play were doing so because they were nowhere near good enough for our level.

Keepers

JoJo Wollacott (P)
    Murray Johnson (P)

Right back

Lewis Miller (P)
    Chris Cadden (P)
    Kanayo Megwa (P)
    Rory Whittaker (P)

Centre back

Will Fish (L)
    Rocky Bushiri (P)
    Nectar Triantis (L)
    Owen Bevan (L)

Left back

Jordan Obita (P)

Centre mid

Newell (P)
    Levitt (P)
    JDH (P)
    Moriah Welsh (P)
    Luke Amos (P)
    Campbell (P)

Wide midfielders

Jair (P)
    Eliezer Mayenda (L)

Strikers

Vente (P)
    Maolida (L)
    ALF (P) contract ending
    Marcondes (L)
    Boyle (P)
    Youan (P)
    The only worrying part of this is that a bulk of our starters are actually going to be out of contract/end of loan and potentially away in the summer, with a few more still here probably needing shifted still as well.

Maolida, Macondes, Fish, Marshall, all the centre halves bar Rocky, back up forwards in ALF/Mayenda, and our back up left back will all be gone. That's even before you consider if guys like Jair, JDH, Jojo, Levitt, Rocky won't be told they could possibly move on.

At that point you're realistically looking at the very least having to go get in the summer:

- At least 2 or 3 starting XI quality level centre halves.
    - A good enough striker to rotate with or start over Vente , possibly two.
    - Probably a replacement for Marcondes in that creative hole type of player.
    - Someone who can start at left back right away to rotate with Obita.
    - A winger to start on the left ahead of/rotate with Jair.

I'm optimistic about the squad as it stands, but there's so much work to do in the summer and I'm praying we've gotten a head start on it and know where we're going to look. We can't spend 2 months of the window chasing Emiliano to stay for example and miss out on targets.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Will hazard a guess that our best team assuming no injuries and 4-4-2 will eventually be:

Marshall

Miller Fish Triantis Obita

Boyle Amos Newell Tavares

Marcondes Vente

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Will hazard a guess that our best team assuming no injuries and 4-4-2 will eventually be:

Marshall

Marcondes Vente
    Not a chance would Tavares be in out best starting 11. He will be lucky to get on the bench pretty soon.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Not a chance would Tavares be in out best starting 11. He will be lucky to get on the bench pretty soon.
    Agreed. Right back very much up for grabs too, Miller probably just shades it at the moment.

Marshall

Boyle Amos Newell Maolida

Marcondes Vente

Will this be the last we see of both Hanlon & Stevenson? They’ve both been great servants but I think this will be their swan song and not before time.
    Or will they both hang around sitting on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Greensunshine View Post
    Will this be the last we see of both Hanlon & Stevenson? They’ve both been great servants but I think this will be their swan song and not before time.
    I expect both will be away in the summer. "not before time" I will never agree with. They have never let us down.

I expect both will be away in the summer. "not before time" I will never agree with. They have never let us down.

I will never understand how folk can't just say they think it's time for them to move on/retire without a dig at them. Shows a complete lack of respect to two guys who have given this club so much.

Yeah almost certainly. They'll know it themselves. Good servants but sentiment doesn't win you games and we need to move with the times. I think our squad will look vastly different come the start of next season.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Just chuffed the best starting XI can actually be debated properly now in almost every position.

I know there’s still plenty to play for but I’m already buzzing for the summer transfer window and seeing who we bring in.

Yes. Not before time.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    "Not before time" is quite harsh for 2 of the clubs most loyal servants.

@hibs.net private member
    In terms of those on loan, there’s no reason we can’t have a a realistic shot of keeping several of those that we might want to now that we are going to have several million to spend.

Fish - This season has probably cemented that he will never be good enough for Man United. I think we will put in a bid to keep him.

Bevan - It he does amazing enough to suggest that he’s good enough for Bournemouth then it means we have had a great 6 months out of him and can’t complain. If he does well for us but not outstanding then Bournemouth are likely to give us first dibs at another season loan or transfer.

Nectar Triantis - unlikely we will get him longer than this season but who knows.

Eliezer Mayenda - I have no idea what to expect in regard to him.

Maolida - Clearly not going to play for Hertha so no reason we can’t be the club to sign him if we want.

Marcondes - Probably too good / expensive for us. Enjoy him whilst we can :)
    Last edited by Paul1642; 02-02-2024 at 12:07 PM.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Keepers

JoJo Wollacott (P)
    Murray Johnson (P)

Right back

Lewis Miller (P)
    Chris Cadden (P)
    Kanayo Megwa (P)
    Rory Whittaker (P)

Centre back

Will Fish (L)
    Rocky Bushiri (P)
    Nectar Triantis (L)
    Owen Bevan (L)

Left back

Jordan Obita (P)

Centre mid

Newell (P)
    Levitt (P)
    JDH (P)
    Moriah Welsh (P)
    Luke Amos (P)
    Campbell (P)

Wide midfielders

Jair (P)
    Eliezer Mayenda (L)

Strikers

Vente (P)
    Maolida (L)
    ALF (P) contract ending
    Marcondes (L)
    Boyle (P)
    Youan (P)
    What about the boys out on loan?

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Totally agree

I don't know. The manager seems to love him. Think he'll be a mainstay, unfortunately.

I don't know. The manager seems to love him. Think he'll be a mainstay, unfortunately.
    Bit different with Maolida now in the door and Boyle hopefully being back next week (hoping Australia get knocked out this afternoon). Can’t see him being used in a front two every week now Marcondes is in.

7 new signings in Jan ! Beats the Pat Fenlon window

Quote Originally Posted by hibbie02 View Post
    Looks a bit light at Left Back compared to other positions, but that is a big squad. Most of our issues look to be addressed. Good Luck picking a team on Saturday!
    If it came to it Joe Newell can play left back he has done it for us before and thought he played well there when I seen him

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I noticed you and some others skipped “the great servants” part of my post and doubled down on the “not before time” part.

I get it, they are one of our own and maybe I’m being a tad harsh but it’s time they moved on. It’s time for them to move on or hang up their boots and for us to try and replace them with better quality.
    There’s just no room for sentiment in this game I’m afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    You’re correct it’s harsh but tell me I’m wrong. I’ve loved those guys being at the club as “one of our own” but it’s time!

Yeah almost certainly. They'll know it themselves. Good servants but sentiment doesn't win you games and we need to move with the times. I think our squad will look vastly different come the start of next season.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Some think I’ve been a bit harsh with my wording and maybe I have been but I think we’re all of the same thinking.

First Team Breakthrough
    I think we'll lose something when Lewis and Paul eventually go. They're proper Hibs men, and part of the club's history. Like a select few others before them, having them in colours other than the Hibees green and white would just look wrong. That's not something that can be said for the rest of the current squad with the exception of Boyler.
    A big part of going to see Hibs is that they're Hibs, and not just a random selection of players from around the world who could just as easily be wearing red or blue. Lewis and Paul are Hibs, and I'll miss that.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwoof View Post
    I think we'll lose something when Lewis and Paul eventually go. They're proper Hibs men, and part of the club's history. Like a select few others before them, having them in colours other than the Hibees green and white would just look wrong. That's not something that can be said for the rest of the current squad with the exception of Boyler.
    A big part of going to see Hibs is that they're Hibs, and not just a random selection of players from around the world who could just as easily be wearing red or blue. Lewis and Paul are Hibs, and I'll miss that.
    This is true but Hibs men come and go and we can’t just keep them around indefinitely when they aren’t adding anything to the team anymore which unfortunately I would suggest is the case with Lewis and Paul. Their playing days for Hibs are pretty much done and unless we want to stack our coaching team with ex players (and the loss of fresh ideas such a move entails) they will need to move on. They do so with the goodwill of 99% of Hibs fans and overstaying at the club will result in loss of goodwill which can already be seen to happen.

Players don’t need to come through the youth team to become Hibs men. David Gray was at hearts as a youth and only joined us aged 26. Daz Joined us from Rangers aged 30. Both became “Hibs men” in absolutely no time. Players with strong enough character will do this wherever they play and we are lucky that they ended up at Hibs and not elsewhere where they would have had the same effect. There’s nothing to stop the new signings or future signings from becoming Hibs men.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post

Marshall

Marcondes Vente
    After all those signings it would seriously worry me if Jair was anywhere near the starting XI. LJ may not have managed him well but I can see why he wasn’t getting game time. Not good enough at all.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    This is true but Hibs men come and go and we can’t just keep them around indefinitely when they aren’t adding anything to the team anymore which unfortunately I would suggest is the case with Lewis and Paul. Their playing days for Hibs are pretty much done and unless we want to stack our coaching team with ex players (and the loss of fresh ideas such a move entails) they will need to move on. They do so with the goodwill of 99% of Hibs fans and overstaying at the club will result in loss of goodwill which can already be seen to happen.

Players don’t need to come through the youth team to become Hibs men. David Gray was at hearts as a youth and only joined us aged 26. Daz Joined us from Rangers aged 30. Both became “Hibs men” in absolutely no time. Players with strong enough character will do this wherever they play and we are lucky that they ended up at Hibs and not elsewhere where they would have had the same effect. There’s nothing to stop the new signings or future signings from becoming Hibs men.
    Can't disagree with any of that, esp regarding Gray and Daz, and there's no point in keeping players on for sentiment's sake. Lewis and Paul will know that as well as anyone. Problem though, is that players increasingly don't hang around for very long any more, and when these guys leave we'll be losing part of the essence of what a football club is all about. And Hibs will be the poorer for that, even if their replacements are better players.
    Hopefully we'll see a new generation of Hibs men who we can get behind come to the fore in the coming months/years.