hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is Monty telling players to play slowly? He subbed off Newell who was the main culprit after 57 minutes and replaced him with Levitt who played the ball much quicker and forward more often. I think we have too many players who can’t/won’t play the ball quickly and who would rather play safe than try riskier progressive passes. Thankfully, Luke Amos appears to be a potential solution to to this issue, hopefully he can prove his fitness.
    He also played Jeggo for the full 90mins. A guy who’s barely featured in recent times and is slower than a week in Saughton Prison.

No matter who he picks both CMs sit soo deep it’s ridiculous. If he’s not willing to be flexible ever in his set up or combinations across the park he isn’t going to last long.

If he doesn’t last long I just want Hibs to get Mcinnes in. A good manager for this league and cup competitions.

People can turn their nose up at the idea but I ain’t seeing much ‘exciting’ football in these last 3 managers who all claim to want to pass the ball and build from back and play attacking football.

I left the game today with more questions than answers. It’s a long road ahead for Monty to have everyone convinced, if he isn’t willing to compromise along the way in some of his baffling set ups. Then he won’t see the summer as we ain’t a stick on for top 6

All i hear is how he’s turned fortunes of Tavares around. Whilst people don’t realise Newell, Levitt and Vente have got worse under him. He’s killing some of our best players.
    Last edited by RossScott1991; 20-01-2024 at 10:42 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    That's not right.

Youan was prolific as a striker when Nisbet got injured last season. It was his best spell in a Hibs jersey for us.
    Lethal
    IMG_0159.jpg

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    This manager will get this manager sacked. He’s the one playing this dated formation. He’s the one playing our best attackers out of position. 20 games now. It’s clearly not working and he’s a live example of the definition of insanity.

This squad qualified for Europe last year. The players have proved themselves at this level when used correctly.

This idea that we should clear them all out to accommodate this delusional budget Guardiola is even more mental that his tactics.
    You say this yet say Doidge was “absolutely fantastic” at the start of the season😭

Slaver.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Did you mean to cut off the period he was referring to?

IMG_1055.jpgIMG_1056.jpg

*The Ross County game he moved to CF after Nisbet went off injured.
    Last edited by CapitalGreen; 20-01-2024 at 10:47 PM.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    He got 5 goals in 5 games as a striker. Pretty lethal for a Hibs forward.

Did you mean to cut off the period he was referring to?
    in these games:

Screenshot_20240120_234418_Chrome.jpg

in these games:

He scored as many league goals for Hibs in that 5 week period as the “absolutely fantastic” Doidge has in the previous 148 weeks.

Blog Entries

in these games:

He played left at St Mirren after Hoppe replaced McKirdy after he went off early after going over on his ankle. He played on the left at Livi in 4-1 win. Henderson was on the right, Hoppe middle.

So the prolific CF boiled down to a header v Aberdeen from corner and a goal v Ross County.

He scored as many league goals for Hibs in that 5 week period as the “absolutely fantastic” Doidge has in the previous 148 weeks.
    One thing's for sure, Youan def wasn't "rank rotten" as a striker for us.

IMO he's more effective there than on the wing.

Blog Entries
    Absolutely baffles me how anyone could actually type this knowing he wasn’t here for a season of that🥴

Blog Entries
    One thing's for sure, Youan def wasn't "rank rotten" as a striker for us.

IMO he's more effective there than on the wing.
    Stats say otherwise but crack on👍🏻

Stats say otherwise but crack on����
    They don't.

You posted a pic earlier of the first half of the season where he played wide in every game and he only got one goal. 17 games - one goal.

Yet you are also telling me he played 2 games a striker and scored 2 goals? Thats more prolific than his first 17 games out wide.

Nisbet was out and Youan scored 4 goals directly through the middle in 5 games alongside a header from a corner. Lethal I would say.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 20-01-2024 at 11:22 PM.

I think in his earlier games it was a more obvious 4-4-2.

In those games we looked a bigger threat going forward but also very vulnerable when we lost the ball and were conceding more.

I remember an interview at some point he wanted to work on protecting us from the transition when we gave the ball away and he was working on the team anticipating the ball changing over better to protect the defence.

Since then he seems to of asked our two cms to drop incredibly deep. You see them practising passing it between each other as almost a back 6 in the warm up so it has to be his instruction.

Yesterday for the majority of the game we had 6 players passing it between themselves in front of 11 Forfar players and personally I'm not finding it very exciting to watch. Nor do I find it particularly effective at creating lots of chances as the front 4 (two wide, 1 dropping in, 1 on the last man) are over crowded and easier for the opposition to nullify.

Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    At Forfar
    These tactics from Monty are from the Stone Age
    Ditch 442 pls
    Brutal patter

Does our B team play 4-4-2 or a variety of it ?

What position was Rudi play for them ?

I think it’s easy just to say 4-4-2 is the issue - it’s the predictable patterns of play and teams have started to work it out and sit off / press when required.

Scoring goals against a semi organised team will cause us problems let alone a better team.

The best managers have a few plans - ok try have an identity but if you haven’t prepared the team for plan B or C what we doing on training ground.

Example of this if we go to 10 men like we did against Dundee when Miller gets sent off the shape has to change.

It's Maloney all over again. Doesn't matter if it's 442 or in Maloney's case 352, it's the style of play that is killing us.

Slow ponderous football with no injections of pace. No attacking threat because everything is so predictable. No sign of improvement. Bored out my mind watching this ****.

Gutted we never went for McInnis or Robinson in the summer, two examples of relatively successful managers in this league who are getting more out of a team than you'd expect. They play to players' strengths and know the league.

I honestly don't know where we go from here.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CocoHibs91 View Post
    I think in his earlier games it was a more obvious 4-4-2.

In those games we looked a bigger threat going forward but also very vulnerable when we lost the ball and were conceding more.

I remember an interview at some point he wanted to work on protecting us from the transition when we gave the ball away and he was working on the team anticipating the ball changing over better to protect the defence.

Since then he seems to of asked our two cms to drop incredibly deep. You see them practising passing it between each other as almost a back 6 in the warm up so it has to be his instruction.

Yesterday for the majority of the game we had 6 players passing it between themselves in front of 11 Forfar players and personally I'm not finding it very exciting to watch. Nor do I find it particularly effective at creating lots of chances as the front 4 (two wide, 1 dropping in, 1 on the last man) are over crowded and easier for the opposition to nullify.
    The first hslf was Turgid and the penalty I think was our only shot on target Slow crab sideways passing was brutal to watch
    It was clear second hslf they had been told to move the ball quicker and get crosses into the box earlier That slight improvement was enough to get us the win
    But my son who had r been fir a while wasn’t impressed and felt we are going back the way Play like that v Rangers and we have no chance of taking anything from the game imo
    Newell had an off day , Whittaker agsin done for pace ,which teams will exploit if no one is helping him out
    Other young guy no 35 didn’t catch my eye and moves often broke down when he was involved But given how poor the team played in general it wasn’t a day to properly judge him on
    Jair and Youan showed a couple of flashes of good play but we needed more from them creatively
    Doidge worked hard and glad he got the goal but keeper at fault for coming out so far snd not getting to the ball
    Vente unlucky with flicked header and agree ehen him and Levit came on we were a better team for it
    But with some tricky league games coming up we will need to do much better to take any points
    The Bridie was also a huge dissapointment tasteless and too much pastry
    Just can’t seem to get my Hibs Mojo back to make me want to snd watch them week in week out
    But will see who else we bring in during the window

In Derek McInnes, the answer was staring us in the face all along.

Yet again Ben Kensell goes for the vanity project and we’ve another manager who’ll be sacked before long.

This Foley deal better happen soon or he might just walk away from it when we finish bottom 6 and he realises how much investment we actually need to even just be half decent.

The football side of the club is a disaster.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    It's Maloney all over again. Doesn't matter if it's 442 or in Maloney's case 352, it's the style of play that is killing us.

Slow ponderous football with no injections of pace. No attacking threat because everything is so predictable. No sign of improvement. Bored out my mind watching this ****.

Gutted we never went for McInnis or Robinson in the summer, two examples of relatively successful managers in this league who are getting more out of a team than you'd expect. They play to players' strengths and know the league.

Sadly I have to agree with a lot of this. Perhaps it’s just football in general that is going through a phase of following a robotic, predictable pattern but it’s not a great watch. Passback football is boring in what is supposed to be an entertainment business. We keep being promised fast, attacking, entertaining, football. What’s being delivered is not that and we haven’t seen it for a long time.
    I know I’ll get pelters from some but the last time we saw flashes of it was under Jack Ross. We got the boring, possession, bit but at least when we transitioned to attack, it really was quick and decisive.

When the ball lands in the hands of our keeper it’s generally because the opposition are in very forward, attacking positions. Deliver the ball to our free players right then ffs. Don’t hold on to it for an eternity so that the opposition can funnel back to their defensive rolls. Then justify playing tippy tappy, apparently to draw out the opposition to the very place they were to begin with.

II need to stop this rant but I think you’ll get my drift. The fun is being sucked out of the game. Thank goodness for the comfort of the Albion Bar.

By the way. I disagree that McInnes is the answer. Maybe Robinson has some merit but I’d like to see what Monty does with his own choice of players.
    Last edited by CentreLine; 21-01-2024 at 08:40 AM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenio View Post
    Clean sheet, win, through to the next round. Job done really. Never saw the match and agree it can be boring at times. I've seen us play exciting attack minded football at times so we can do it.

Not at all interested in hearing sack the manager chat ATM.

We have a plan and are sticking to it. Is it working just now? No. Not as we want it but that can change.

The analogy of a top 6 team but a bottom 6 squad is spot on I reckon
    We don’t have a bottom 6 squad.

I’m not saying the squad is great, but if you’re saying we have a top 6 team and bottom 6 squad, you’re effectively saying you think at least some of Dundee, Motherwell, Ross County, St Johnstone, Livi, Killie or St Mirrens overall squad options, off the bench, are better than ours?

We don’t get enough out of what we have, but what we have is good enough to challenge for 3rd.

Based on squads, Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen should be challenging for 3rd.

Absolutely baffles me how anyone could actually type this knowing he wasn’t here for a season of that🥴
    And why wasn't he here for a season? Because we punted him on loan because he was mince.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    We don’t have a bottom 6 squad.

I’m not saying the squad is great, but if you’re saying we have a top 6 team and bottom 6 squad, you’re effectively saying you think at least some of Dundee, Motherwell, Ross County, St Johnstone, Livi, Killie or St Mirrens overall squad options, off the bench, are better than ours?

We don’t get enough out of what we have, but what we have is good enough to challenge for 3rd.

Based on squads, Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen should be challenging for 3rd.
    Challenge for 3rd ? 😂

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post

Yesterday reminded me of so many Maloney games up until we made the subs. Levitt actually did the job Newell was meant to be doing. Completely different performance after that.

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Sadly I have to agree with a lot of this. Perhaps it’s just football in general that is going through a phase of following a robotic, predictable pattern but it’s not a great watch. Passback football is boring in what is supposed to be an entertainment business. We keep being promised fast, attacking, entertaining, football. What’s being delivered is not that and we haven’t seen it for a long time.
    I know I’ll get pelters from some but the last time we saw flashes of it was under Jack Ross. We got the boring, possession, bit but at least when we transitioned to attack, it really was quick and decisive.

When the ball lands in the hands of our keeper it’s generally because the opposition are in very forward, attacking positions. Deliver the ball to our free players right then ffs. Don’t hold on to it for an eternity so that the opposition can funnel back to their defensive rolls. Then justify playing tippy tappy, apparently to draw out the opposition to the very place they were to begin with.

II need to stop this rant but I think you’ll get my drift. The fun is being sucked out of the game. Thank goodness for the comfort of the Albion Bar.
    It’s been slow and ponderous since Joe Newell replaced Scott Allan as our main playmaker. Your playmaker dictates the pace of how you play - if your play maker is slow and risk averse then the football you play will be slow and risk averse. It doesn’t matter if that’s in a 4-4-2, 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 system, the ball will only progress forward as fast as your players are able/willing to play it. Boozy, Liam Miller and Scott Allan - 3 excellent playmakers whose time at the club coincided with us playing fast, attacking football. It’s the most important player on the pitch in terms of implementing a style of play.

13 games till the split.

Home - Rangers, Celtic, Dundee, Ross County, Livingston and St Johnstone and St Mirren

Away - Rangers, Hearts, Aberdeen, Ross County, Motherwell and Kilmarnock

Would says it’s 50/50 if we get top 6 as basically playing for 5th or 6th as I think Hearts and Killie will finish 3rd and 4th as more consistent.

If we don’t serious questions need to be asked what’s going on at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yesterday reminded me of so many Maloney games up until we made the subs. Levitt actually did the job Newell was meant to be doing. Completely different performance after that.
    Honestly, against that level of opposition, the shape of the team shouldn’t matter a toss. You just need the players to perform even reasonably well. Right from kick off we were just slack. Jeggo let the ball run under his foot when passed back to him from centre, then someone passed the ball out the park, then we gave away a stupid foul which let them put the ball in to the box (something we seen totally incapable of dealing with).

As soon as Levitt came in and we had someone looking to play forward it improved things. And for all the chat about Vente playing too deep etc, he provided a bit of a link as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post
    Challenge for 3rd ? 😂
    Don't think that's far fetched. We were challenging for 3rd last season with a poorer squad. We shoud be this season also. We are punching well below our weight.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    Does our B team play 4-4-2 or a variety of it ?

What position was Rudi play for them ?

I think it’s easy just to say 4-4-2 is the issue - it’s the predictable patterns of play and teams have started to work it out and sit off / press when required.

Scoring goals against a semi organised team will cause us problems let alone a better team.

The best managers have a few plans - ok try have an identity but if you haven’t prepared the team for plan B or C what we doing on training ground.

Example of this if we go to 10 men like we did against Dundee when Miller gets sent off the shape has to change.
    We didn’t play 442 and Rudi can play anywhere in the attacking areas. He played attacking mid yesterday and was the only energy we had in there.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    In Derek McInnes, the answer was staring us in the face all along.

Yet again Ben Kensell goes for the vanity project and we’ve another manager who’ll be sacked before long.

This Foley deal better happen soon or he might just walk away from it when we finish bottom 6 and he realises how much investment we actually need to even just be half decent.

The football side of the club is a disaster.
    👏👏👏

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Challenge for 3rd ? 😂
    I didn’t say we’ll finish 3rd, but the squad we have should be challenging.

You laugh, but we challenged for 3rd last season. The team/squad who finished 3rd last season are now struggling with the same players they came 3rd with. Hearts currently comfortably 3rd despite being absolutely nowt special. Take Shankland out that team and they’re mince. They’re playing to their strengths and using the squad they have the best they can. We’re not.

Blog Entries
    They don't.

You posted a pic earlier of the first half of the season where he played wide in every game and he only got one goal. 17 games - one goal.

Yet you are also telling me he played 2 games a striker and scored 2 goals? Thats more prolific than his first 17 games out wide.

Nisbet was out and Youan scored 4 goals directly through the middle in 5 games alongside a header from a corner. Lethal I would say.
    He didn’t play wide in those 17 games. He played a mixture of CF, wide and sub as the graphic clearly says.

He didn’t score 4 goals as a CF, he got 2, and 1 of those from a corner.