hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adam Le Fondre

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not saying we don't appear to need a striker but the strikers we do already have have been feeding off scraps - turning this around must be the priority for January. I think we meed midfielders, creativity and a plan to get the best out of our current strikers before we need a personnel change up front. Pretty much any striker available within our budget would struggle to score goals in our current set up.
    Agree. We need creativity and we need to shore up.

We still score goals most weeks.

If we can stop conceding so many then things will improve.

The top of the park is the least priority for me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    If you look at our striking options they’re just not as good as we maybe think IMO. Vente still has it all to prove and I think a proper partner helps with that. Doidge is the only other one currently available and we’ve been trying to offload him for about the last 3-4 windows, he won’t be around next season. ALF looked decent but he’s 37 and currently unavailable. Boyle isn’t a striker and is also unavailable.

In this system the best thing we can do to get the best from Vente is get him a partner IMO.
    Last few weeks have been disappointing re: Vente (and last week was definitely his worst in a Hibs shirt by far) but that’s definitely not his fault as he’s being asked to drop so deep.

Early on his chance conversion rate was excellent, scored with his first five shots and has barely missed the target since. Hasn’t missed an out and out sitter either.

Doesn’t have anything to prove IMO - we need to create more chances for him. So frustrating to have such a good finisher so devoid of service, especially when we have wide players who are very good SPL players.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Last few weeks have been disappointing re: Vente (and last week was definitely his worst in a Hibs shirt by far) but that’s definitely not his fault as he’s being asked to drop so deep.

Early on his chance conversion rate was excellent, scored with his first five shots and has barely missed the target since. Hasn’t missed an out and out sitter either.

Doesn’t have anything to prove IMO - we need to create more chances for him. So frustrating to have such a good finisher so devoid of service, especially when we have wide players who are very good SPL players.
    He has it all to prove IMO, we need more. I think it’s too easy just to blame tactics or whatever. I do agree we could be doing with creating a bit more but he plays a part in that as well. As I say, I think a proper partner helps him massively and we get more from him.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 06-01-2024 at 02:49 PM.

He has it all to prove IMO, we need more. I think it’s too easy just to blame tactics or whatever. I do agree we could be doing with creating a bit more but he plays a part in that as well. As I say, I think a proper partner helps him massively.
    It’s easy to blame tactics because we’re not creating anything for him. Like a few others, he’s being asked to play in a way that isn’t going to bring out the best in him.

IIRC, there was an attack from the first half of the Motherwell game where he dropped deep and played Jair in behind. Jair beat his man and put a great ball across the six yard box, but Vente couldn’t get on the end of it as he’d dropped so deep originally.

TBF he does have a reasonable number of assists for us I think, but they have dried up of late as well.

What does he need to prove, exactly? From my point of view, he was brought into score goals and he has proven that he will do that with the right service. A few weeks ago he looked really lively and like he was enjoying his football - but the last few weeks have been very different.

He’s clearly a clever player, a willing worker, and a very good finisher, IMO. It’s not his fault we’re not able to see the best of him right now. Partner may help certainly, but I still think 4-3-3 with Youan and Boyle either side is the obvious way to go.
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 06-01-2024 at 02:59 PM.

What a thread this is. I am still non the wiser when ALF is due back, anyone got a clue?

It’s easy to blame tactics because we’re not creating anything for him. Like a few others, he’s being asked to play in a way that isn’t going to bring out the best in him.

IIRC, there was an attack from the first half of the Motherwell game where he dropped deep and played Jair in behind. Jair beat his man and put a great ball across the six yard box, but Vente couldn’t get on the end of it as he’d dropped so deep originally.

TBF he does have a reasonable number of assists for us I think, but they have dried up of late as well.

What does he need to prove, exactly? From my point of view, he was brought into score goals and he has proven that he will do that with the right service. A few weeks ago he looked really lively and like he was enjoying his football - but the last few weeks have been very different.

He’s clearly a clever player, a willing worker, and a very good finisher, IMO. It’s not his fault we’re not able to see the best of him right now. Partner may help certainly, but I still think 4-3-3 with Youan and Boyle either side is the obvious way to go.
    The instance you’re talking about against Motherwell was a good move. Doidge was about an inch from getting on the end of the ball in and Youan had it taken right of his foot by the left back. In that instance, it was fine Vente dropping deep, he played a part in a good move that we could have scored from. If you didn’t have him doing that the rest of the move doesn’t happen. Strikers, especially in a two, will always drop off at times.

As for what he needs to prove, he needs to prove that he can score goals regularly in this league. 3 in 18, even in this set up isn’t good enough. Nisbet, who he’s replaced, would have scored and done more IMO. Part of the reason for that is that he had the ability to create something for himself, he’d have a shot from wherever. Shankland, who is the best striker in the league at the moment is similar. With Vente, it feels like we/he are waiting for the perfect chance. He’s had chances that he could have done better with recently IMO, he should have put one away against Hearts, dragged a good chance wide at Livingston. The lack of chances, efforts on goal are whatever haven’t just been when he’s played in this system with these tactics, it was before Monty came in as well.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 06-01-2024 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Col2 View Post
    What a thread this is. I am still non the wiser when ALF is due back, anyone got a clue?
    Monty said he’s been doing a bit of running but not been involved with the team yet. Think they want him back involved in Dubai.

The instance you’re talking about against Motherwell was a good move. Doidge was about an inch from getting on the end of the ball in and Youan had it taken right of his foot by the left back. In that instance, it was fine Vente dropping deep, he played a part in a good move that we could have scored from. If you didn’t have him doing that the rest of the move doesn’t happen. Strikers, especially in a two, will always drop off at times.

As for what he needs to prove, he needs to prove that he can score goals regularly in this league. 3 in 18, even in this set up isn’t good enough. Nisbet, who he’s replaced, would have scored and done more IMO. Part of the reason for that is that he had the ability to create something for himself, he’d have a shot from wherever. Shankland, who is the best striker in the league at the moment is similar. With Vente, it feels like we/he are waiting for the perfect chance. He’s had chances that he could have done better with recently IMO, he should have put one away against Hearts, dragged a good chance wide at Livingston. The lack of chances, efforts on goal are whatever haven’t just been when he’s played in this system with these tactics, it was before Monty came in as well.
    It was a good move, and it shows he can be involved in creating things. Definitely fine to drop deep at times, but he is dropping deep all the time. I genuinely can’t see how he can be criticised for not scoring enough when he has nothing to get on the end of, and/or has dropped deep to create a chance for someone else.

We’re just going to go round in circles here, but for my money he’s proven that he’s got everything we need if used correctly. Nisbet would not have scored more in this team, IMO - he was a classic penalty box striker. Shankland does have that ability for distance but it’s fine that Vente appears not to.

If he was missing sitters every week I’d agree that we have a problem. The fact that you’ve only been able to identify a couple of chances where he could have done better, shows that he doesn’t miss much.

It was a good move, and it shows he can be involved in creating things. Definitely fine to drop deep at times, but he is dropping deep all the time. I genuinely can’t see how he can be criticised for not scoring enough when he has nothing to get on the end of, and/or has dropped deep to create a chance for someone else.

We’re just going to go round in circles here, but for my money he’s proven that he’s got everything we need if used correctly. Nisbet would not have scored more in this team, IMO - he was a classic penalty box striker. Shankland does have that ability for distance but it’s fine that Vente appears not to.

If he was missing sitters every week I’d agree that we have a problem. The fact that you’ve only been able to identify a couple of chances where he could have done better, shows that he doesn’t miss much.
    I think things are just being exaggerated when folk talk about him dropping deep ‘all the time’ and never being in the box.

Look back at the games in the last month. Motherwell we agree he was really poor but go back and look at the highlights, he’s in the box for pretty much every chance they show. Hearts game, two chances right in the middle of the box, should have taken one. Game prior was St Johnstone, whole team dreadful. Game prior Livingston, disallowed goal from about 3 inches out and missed another chance in the first half in the middle of the box. Didn’t play at Parkhead and got a tap in at home to Aberdeen before that. In the games prior to that he had good assists from positions high up the park when he was running in behind (Dundee and St Mirren).

As I say, I’m not actually arguing that he’s a poor player. He’s not, but I think we should be getting more from him irrespective of how we’re currently set up.

Re the point on Nisbet, he had much more to his game than just being a penalty box player. He could come in and link the game and looked like he could score a goal from a half chance. I also think he just looked hungrier to score goals. Most of the decent strikers we’ve had, the likes of Nisbet, Cummings, Stokes and Griffiths all come to mind were all greedy and would shoot from anywhere. We’re not good enough for strikers to have to wait on clear cut chances coming along all the time. We need them to, at least occasionally, do something a bit different.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 06-01-2024 at 04:13 PM.

I think things are just being exaggerated when folk talk about him dropping deep ‘all the time’ and never being in the box.

Look back at the games in the last month. Motherwell we agree he was really poor but go back and look at the highlights, he’s in the box for pretty much every chance they show. Hearts game, two chances right in the middle of the box, should have taken one. Game prior was St Johnstone, whole team dreadful. Game prior Livingston, disallowed goal from about 3 inches out and missed another chance in the first half in the middle of the box. Didn’t play at Parkhead and got a tap in at home to Aberdeen before that. In the games prior to that he had good assists from positions high up the park when he was running in behind (Dundee and St Mirren).

As I say, I’m not actually arguing that he’s a poor player. He’s not, but I think we should be getting more from him irrespective of how we’re currently set up.

Re the point on Nisbet, he had much more to his game than just being a penalty box player. He could come in and link the game and looked like he could score a goal from a half chance. I also think he just looked hungrier to score goals. Most of the decent strikers we’ve had, the likes of Nisbet, Cummings, Stokes and Griffiths all come to mind were all greedy and would shoot from anywhere. We’re not good enough for strikers to have to wait on clear cut chances coming along all the time. We need them to, at least occasionally, do something a bit different.
    Nisbet’s goals are here. Probably about five truly outstanding finishes here, the rest are penalty box goals, from good movement and finished well. Maybe one goal that you could say he created all on his own.

Get Vente on the end of these chances and the end result would be the same/very similar number of goals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYOMyaVN7oo

Nisbet’s goals are here. Probably about five truly outstanding finishes here, the rest are penalty box goals, from good movement and finished well. Maybe one goal that you could say he created all on his own.

Get Vente on the end of these chances and the end result would be the same/very similar number of goals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYOMyaVN7oo
    There are all types of different goals there. Half chances, free kicks, bringing the ball down with a defender right behind him at the edge of the box to turn and shoot. Vente has ability and may prove to be a good player but I’ve yet to see the same type of instinct from him in the box. If you look at the Motherwell game as an example, even when in the box he was always coming away from goal looking for a pull back to the edge, where as Nisbet would almost always go in the other way.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 06-01-2024 at 04:40 PM.

Monty said he’s been doing a bit of running but not been involved with the team yet. Think they want him back involved in Dubai.
    Thanks.

There are all types of different goals there. Half chances, free kicks, bringing the ball down with a defender right behind him at the edge of the box to turn and shoot. Vente has ability and may prove to be a good player but I’ve yet to see the same type of instinct from him in the box. If you look at the Motherwell game as an example, even when in the box he was always coming away from goal looking for a pull back to the edge, where as Nisbet would almost always go in the other way.
    And yet even Nisbet only managed nine goals in 36 appearances in 2021/22. Six goals in 21 appearances before Ross was sacked, and three in 15 after he went. So he too struggled in a team that wasn’t playing well or creating much.

And yet even Nisbet only managed nine goals in 36 appearances in 2021/22. Six goals in 21 appearances before Ross was sacked, and three in 15 after he went. So he too struggled in a team that wasn’t playing well or creating much.
    Had a good record overall though. If Vente can replicate that, I’d be happy and he’d probably get a move.

Vente for 6th placed Hibs has scored every 428 minutes in the SPL this season
    Nisbet for 5th placed Hibernian scored every 93 minutes in the SPL last season

Nisbet for 15th placed Millwall has scored every 231 minutes in the far higher standard English Championship this season

Nisbet is a far better striker

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeffernan View Post
    Vente for 6th placed Hibs has scored every 428 minutes in the SPL this season
    Nisbet for 5th placed Hibernian scored every 93 minutes in the SPL last season

Nisbet for 15th placed Millwall has scored every 231 minutes in the far higher standard English Championship this season

Nisbet is a far better striker
    Hard to say that when it’s clear to everyone with eyes Vente isn’t being deployed to his strengths

Had a good record overall though. If Vente can replicate that, I’d be happy and he’d probably get a move.
    Agreed.

Coaching Staff
    Interesting what Tam McManus said recently…along the lines of…strikers may be asked to hold up the ball, track back etc…but sooner or later they realise that they are ultimately judged on their scoring rate,so should get in the box more.

My view is that whatever ‘other duties’ they might be asked to carry out, top strikers will still find a way to score.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Interesting what Tam McManus said recently…along the lines of…strikers may be asked to hold up the ball, track back etc…but sooner or later they realise that they are ultimately judged on their scoring rate,so should get in the box more.

My view is that whatever ‘other duties’ they might be asked to carry out, top strikers will still find a way to score.
    Just need to look across the way at Shankland ridiculed for just scoring pens they have dried up but still finding a way often scoring out of nothing or simply just sticking the ball in the net not as easy as it looks

That is why strikers get paid the big bucks

Goals win games

Nisbet MacLaren Cummings and Griffiths at Easter Road spring to mind

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post
    He got injured whilst golfing in Gullane. Nothing to do with football.

No one has his football brain in our current squad.
    Unfortunate and annoying that was the case.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Unfortunate and annoying that was the case.
    Freak accidents happen - Steve Morrow defender broke his collarbone after falling off the shoulders of Tony Adams while celebrating the 1993 League Cup final win against Sheffield Wednesday.

Svein Grondalen The Norway defender had to withdraw from an international during the 1970s after colliding with a moose while out jogging.

Alan Mullery The England star missed the 1964 tour of South America after injuring his back while brushing his teeth.

David Batty The former Leeds and Blackburn midfielder managed to re-injure his achilles tendon when he was run over by his toddler on a tricycle.

Darren Barnard The former Barnsley midfielder was sidelined for five months with a torn knee ligament after he slipped in a puddle of his puppy's urine on the kitchen floor.

Lee Hodges The then Barnet player slipped on a bar of soap in the shower and wrenched his groin.

Craig Levein former hearts player and manager slipped off the toilet pan at Dens Park resulting in him bursting his piles and subsequently missing his team hearts winning the league

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Just need to look across the way at Shankland ridiculed for just scoring pens they have dried up but still finding a way often scoring out of nothing or simply just sticking the ball in the net not as easy as it looks

That is why strikers get paid the big bucks

Goals win games

Nisbet MacLaren Cummings and Griffiths at Easter Road spring to mind
    Shankland is playing further forward than he did last term.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post

Way back in time I had a VHS video about football. There was a clip in it off clough on the training pitch.

I forget who it was but it was a corner and the centre forward was lining up to take it. Clough wades in and calls the gut over.

What number is on your back on a Saturday ?

Nine gaffer

Exactly. I pay you to score goals, get in there. Clough says while pointing at the goalmouth.

Shankland is playing further forward than he did last term.
    Yip and scoring goals out of nothing yet I had jumbo mates who told me he was a fat lazy bassa this season although their silence has been deafening lately

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Yip and scoring goals out of nothing yet I had jumbo mates who told me he was a fat lazy bassa this season although their silence has been deafening lately
    Vente is very similar to Shankland. Play him further forward he’d score goals. Play him deeper like Shankland last season he will utilise other parts of his game. His link up play, his determination and his intelligence.

Just a shame he never took the pen in the derby.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    Way back in time I had a VHS video about football. There was a clip in it off clough on the training pitch.

I forget who it was but it was a corner and the centre forward was lining up to take it. Clough wades in and calls the gut over.

What number is on your back on a Saturday ?

Nine gaffer

Exactly. I pay you to score goals, get in there. Clough says while pointing at the goalmouth.
    Clough got how simple football can be which was a big part of his brilliance. Instructions to hard tackling midfielders to win the ball and pass it to someone who can pass better than you!

Think it was Kenny Burns who asked him what the tactic for freekicks was. Clough just said shoot. "What if its indirect?" "Pass it to the side then shoot!"

Vente is very similar to Shankland. Play him further forward he’d score goals. Play him deeper like Shankland last season he will utilise other parts of his game. His link up play, his determination and his intelligence.

Just a shame he never took the pen in the derby.
    Took the words right out of my mouth

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Freak accidents happen - Steve Morrow defender broke his collarbone after falling off the shoulders of Tony Adams while celebrating the 1993 League Cup final win against Sheffield Wednesday.

Svein Grondalen The Norway defender had to withdraw from an international during the 1970s after colliding with a moose while out jogging.

Alan Mullery The England star missed the 1964 tour of South America after injuring his back while brushing his teeth.

David Batty The former Leeds and Blackburn midfielder managed to re-injure his achilles tendon when he was run over by his toddler on a tricycle.

Darren Barnard The former Barnsley midfielder was sidelined for five months with a torn knee ligament after he slipped in a puddle of his puppy's urine on the kitchen floor.

Lee Hodges The then Barnet player slipped on a bar of soap in the shower and wrenched his groin.

Craig Levein former hearts player and manager slipped off the toilet pan at Dens Park resulting in him bursting his piles and subsequently missing his team hearts winning the league
    Did the indestructible Rob Jones not putting his back out doing the ironing if I remember right?

Another freak accident was Kirk Broadfoot getting injured when he microwaved an egg.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Marco Negri at Rangers got smacked in the face playing Squash. He’d scored 23 goals in his first 10 games but never properly recovered.