hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Mouse traps

Mouse traps

Has anyone used any decent rodent control companies and costs involved?

Just back from holiday and two traps up the loft had gone off but not trapped anything. Bizarrely, one had loft insulation in it and the other had snapped on to a bottom edge of a shelving unit. This makes me think that the mice have moved out and their larger friends may have moved in.

I know they're only coming off the fields for winter but it's a massive pain in the arse

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Just back from holiday and two traps up the loft had gone off but not trapped anything. Bizarrely, one had loft insulation in it and the other had snapped on to a bottom edge of a shelving unit. This makes me think that the mice have moved out and their larger friends may have moved in.

I know they're only coming off the fields for winter but it's a massive pain in the arse
    I have had mice for years, not so much an infestation, more the odd one ****ing about but just a pain in the arse with their scratching, droppings and eating my ****ing beef hula hoops 😡

I haven't used a company but mostly use a humane trap and then when Ive caught it I chuck it over the neighbours fence or take it to a field and launch it. We also used bait stations and they are very effective and at most the mouse will crawl under the floorboards infect the rest of its family and they all die, although I came back from holiday one year and went to the toilet without putting the light on and didn't realise I had stood on a dead mouse, it was lying on its tummy with its arms and legs spread out like it had jumped from the ceiling and splat 🫢

A few years ago we had mice in our old tenement flat. These sonic deterrents worked a treat, never had any problems after they had been fitted.
    Space to let

Traps have never really been effective when I’ve had to get rid of ‘visitors’. The only thing that has been effective is carpet bombing the place with poison.

Not much good if you have pets or small kids, I know.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

Ill send you a PM a for someone who does this.
    It’s a 2 stage process

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    A few years ago we had mice in our old tenement flat. These sonic deterrents worked a treat, never had any problems after they had been fitted.
    I had one of those and it did work. the only problem was that my mother and her cat came to stay with me for a few weeks and although the device claimed not to affect cats and dogs this one made the cat hide away in a corner until I switched it off (the device, not the cat).

If you don't have a pet I would recommend one.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Ill send you a PM a for someone who does this.
    It’s a 2 stage process

Cheers 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    I had one of those and it did work. the only problem was that my mother and her cat came to stay with me for a few weeks and although the device claimed not to affect cats and dogs this one made the cat hide away in a corner until I switched it off (the device, not the cat).

If you don't have a pet I would recommend one.
    Presumably the cat would negate the need for a sonic deterrent?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/2b_WZDLbCBE?feature=share

Might be the reason why

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Living in the country it's an occupational hazard. Harvest time and winter in particular. Used to catch them in the kitchen with humane traps and release them at least 5 miles away. Now they are only in the walls and attic so poison is the only way to get rid of them. Sorry for the reality of it.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

We had a problem with mice and the humane traps never worked. The old fashioned traps did, not pleasant coming down in the morning seeing them dead but soon got rid of them. I just ordered them on Amazon.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie_1875 View Post
    We had a problem with mice and the humane traps never worked. The old fashioned traps did, not pleasant coming down in the morning seeing them dead but soon got rid of them. I just ordered them on Amazon.
    I prefer the humane traps to be honest as I wouldn't like to pick up squashed mice. To be honest my ones always seem to work more often than not using a wee bit cheese with peanut butter, its last meal before I dump it round the corner

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Some cats would - that one didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Living in the country it's an occupational hazard. Harvest time and winter in particular. Used to catch them in the kitchen with humane traps and release them at least 5 miles away. Now they are only in the walls and attic so poison is the only way to get rid of them. Sorry for the reality of it.
    Def reality of living in the country. I had meshed all air blocks but they'll always find a way in. The loft has a gap of 1-2 inches between separating walls and rafters so no matter how hard I try they'll get in.

Found a dead vole and a dead ferret/stoat in the fields across the road. Christ know what else we could have getting in. Although I've never really seen any squirrels kicking about

@hibs.net private member
    Every house has weak points for mice etc to get in, it is impossible to make a house free of them in winter, especially in rural areas.

We have found that putting poison pellets outside the house seems to work best. I can't remember the product but it costs £3 for a red packet of red pellets.

This is the only option we have found as the rest are professional only.

The mice don't bother me but the squirrels are noisy and come and go with ease.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Traps have never really been effective when I’ve had to get rid of ‘visitors’. The only thing that has been effective is carpet bombing the place with poison.

Not much good if you have pets or small kids, I know.

It depends where the mice are coming from perhaps. When we had a bit of an infestation, I put down lots of traps and then checked the surroundings of the ones with dead mice in them and plugged all and any gaps with steel wool. Not had any getting inside at all after that and it was done in three days.

Only way to get rid of them is to stop them getting in.

We had them getting in from behind the kitchen units, where there were gaps in the walls. I went on a bit of a crazed mission, removing a couple of units to gain access and blocking everything up with a combo of steel wool and polyfilla. Not a sign of a mouse since. If you don't take decisive action they'll end up everywhere.

My folks live in a more rural area and as others have said it's a more challenging issue there.

I'm never really going to get rid of them. They can get in multitude of ways from the neighbours. However, I do need to get someone in to have a look at sorting gaps as I had a adult starling in the loft at the start of December. 2 1/2 hrs to get the ****** out

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Just a word of warning on the sonic plug things: apparently teenagers can hear them. Our next door neighbour knocked on the door asking if we were using them (we were) as his son was being driven mental by it and was trying to study for exams.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Just a word of warning on the sonic plug things: apparently teenagers can hear them. Our next door neighbour knocked on the door asking if we were using them (we were) as his son was being driven mental by it and was trying to study for exams.
    My youngest hears the the cat ones that folk have in their gardens.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    My youngest hears the the cat ones that folk have in their gardens.
    They complained about those ones too. I can hear the cat ones too despite (or maybe because) being partially deaf.

Another neighbour has one and I can hear it passing their house.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    My son’s girlfriend had an issue in her old flat. I blocked up several access areas with broken glass and wire wool. That stopped them.

It started in 1952 and is still going strong. Agatha Christie knows what a mouse trap is. 😉

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I've had trouble with rats getting in our cellar, and then they try and get upstairs because i hear it scratching just below the floorboards.

This started about 2 years ago and i tried traps but got nothing.

I've since put bait down and it kills them, i have also put cameras down and periodically i will get a rat but since i started putting the bait down it's down to once or twice a year and just one rat, but still gets right on my thruppnes.

The bait is superb, once i see a rat it seems to go straight for the bait and within a couple of days of going for the bait and eating it, it disapears.

My problem is i have no idea how they are getting into the cellar, but i'm happy to continue to treat the problem the way i am.

I'm using this, its better and cheaper than the stuff you can buy in the shops

https://pestcontrolsupermarket.com/p...RoCo7cQAvD_BwE
    Last edited by blackpoolhibs; 03-01-2024 at 04:00 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Many years ago myself and girlfriend at the time rented a lower flat in Newcraighall opposite the Niddrie bowling club. At the time the place was surrounded by fields and disused railway lines plus a garage repair yard behind our flat

Things were fine at first but within a few months the place was absolutely infested, I was used to mice and rats from my tenement living and crawling under solem vents under floors but even this lot tested my mettle

The rats literally chewed through to the skirting boards and all night whilst trying to sleep all we heard was the scraping and chewing from the ****ing night shift vermin 😡

In the mornings I would pick up my work boots and mice would jump out, to be honest they were brave climbing into my boots, they were ****ing toxic

I did have some fun splatting the little ****ers with a frying pan but it was all too much for my girlfriend and she eventually buggered off back to her parents leaving me with my furry friends

The Landlord was just a money grabbing prick and had no interest in pest control so I upped sticks and left too

Little ****ers 😡

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    We’ve had mice and kept them under control with traps and sonic emitters.

Make sure to take a note of all the places you leave traps.

I somehow forgot one of them and after two weeks of “wtf is that smell”, washing bins and clearing out drains etc I re-discovered a trap (a successful one at that) I’d put behind one of the kitchen kickboards. Not pleasant at all.

Last year with the cold I got 8 or so but only had one this year.

They only seem to get as far as the kitchen, had no evidence of them anywhere else, apart from one spotted in the garage a few weeks ago.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Never knowingly had an issue with mice but I found evidence recently (the wee critters had chewed the bristles off a brush to make nesting material) so I've been laying traps (final destination ones 🤔) and I've caught quite a few over the last few days.
    The invasion is limited to the utility room so there's access via pipes etc, will just make sure there's no food sources freely available.

Dinnae trap the wee angels

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67902966

🤣🤣🤣🤣