hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dylan Levitt

If you watch his highlight reel from the really good season he had at United it almost all happens in the opponent's half.

He can play killer passes and he can score too.

We have so many players not playing in their best positions that it can't possibly work.

2. Log in to remove the advert

He’s probably not enjoying playing 3v2 most weeks. It’s a lot of running for a midfielder and like Allan and Mallan who are currently much superior players prefers the ball at his feet.

We basically have 2 players in central midfield who don’t like running and doing the dirty work to win the ball back. Don’t forget Newell was a winger when he signed for Hibs.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The incident where he injured Campbell just reminded me so much of Stevie Mallan ( who IMO pre injury was a far far better player)

He cant track the guy running off him, couldn't impose himself in the joust for possession that followed and was was totally outmuscled and then stuck a despairing leg into a tackle he was nowhere near winning.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The incident where he injured Campbell just reminded me so much of Stevie Mallan ( who IMO pre injury was a far far better player)

He cant track the guy running off him, couldn't impose himself in the joust for possession that followed and was was totally outmuscled and then stuck a despairing leg into a tackle he was nowhere near winning.
    We know we are in trouble when neither of our defensive midfielders can tackle properly

It's honestly like watching a school kid who won a competition to wear the no6 jersey for a season

Operation Sell Levitt in January please

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    If you watch his highlight reel from the really good season he had at United it almost all happens in the opponent's half.

He can play killer passes and he can score too.

We have so many players not playing in their best positions that it can't possibly work.
    How I see it. Being asked to play in a formation that isn’t getting the best out of a player who has a lot of ability. He’s not a defensive midfielder in a million years.

Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    It's honestly like watching a school kid who won a competition to wear the no6 jersey for a season

Operation Sell Levitt in January please
    It’s honestly not. Didn’t even have a particularly poor game last night.

I can’t see our manager actively trying to sell a player next week, who starts every game now. Be better just hoping he starts showing the form that so many of us hoped for when we signed him.

Testimonial Due The Captain....'s Avatar
    Absolutely not a player you want in a big game. He's just there without imposing himself on it. Another (expensive) empty jersey. He's far from alone in not being good enough, generally and specifically last night.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Him and Newell don't work together and based on performances, Newell stays over him all day long for me.

Levitt is a decent passer but some of his defending is laughably bad. I felt that he was poor for the Aberdeen goal in the semi final, and last night there was an incident which summed him up for me where Binigame went by him like he was a ghost.

I'm fully supportive of the manager but it does feel like we have a lot of square pegs in round holes at the moment.

Miller is another that has his qualities but is his passing good enough for the style we are playing? Is Boyle consistent enough up front? Can Campbell really play right midfield?
    Last edited by neil7908; 28-12-2023 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    He's a deep playmaker who isn't playmaking, last night I lost count the number of times he came deep, took the ball and immediately passed it back to the CH 4 yards away, rinse and repeat with the very odd ball played forwards. Yet to be convinced but he's looking like another bang average midfielder who's been over hyped.
    So annoying when we go backwards off his possession, too often ending up with Rocky having to play it forward (who they left free to take a pass for good reason), then some know-it-all I-know-football-better-than-you types loudly applaud, and not in a sarcastic way.
    I actually thought he wasn't as poor last night as he has been - he did get stuck in sometimes - but he's still not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    Reminds me of Mallan - but least Mallan had a quality free kick.
    I'd swap him for Mallan in a heartbeat

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by darwenhibby View Post
    Let’s be honest
    He’s weak and pish
    We need a tough ball winning midfielder
    Overall he’s been poor but there have been two or three games where he has looked really good and there is no doubt there is a quality player there.

When you think we play with a midfield of two of Levitt and Newell then it’s no surprise that we lack a bit of intensity and physicality and one wonders whether Levitt would be far better picking the ball up further up from a more physical player in the mould of Marvin Bartley.

I’m not sure though that NM sees a player like that in his team. We are definitely very flat in midfield and our central two rarely get close to the forward line leaving a big gap.

I think Levitt has the making of a very good player for us but we need to play to his strengths and get someone to do the dirty work for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    Overall he’s been poor but there have been two or three games where he has looked really good and there is no doubt there is a quality player there.

When you think we play with a midfield of two of Levitt and Newell then it’s no surprise that we lack a bit of intensity and physicality and one wonders whether Levitt would be far better picking the ball up further up from a more physical player in the mould of Marvin Bartley.

I’m not sure though that NM sees a player like that in his team. We are definitely very flat in midfield and our central two rarely get close to the forward line leaving a big gap.

I think Levitt has the making of a very good player for us but we need to play to his strengths and get someone to do the dirty work for him.

I would say Levitt is a luxury player much like Allan was. If he is further up the pitch then I think he could add some value but in our rigid formation he ends up a weak point when we don't have the ball much like Scottie was. One luxury is fair enough in some games but I don't think Boyle works anywhere near as hard as he did and when you bring Youan on we have 3 players who aren't doing much off the ball. I agree that the formation will mean that Levitt will never likely fit in and the same could be said of quite a few others. I think Obita and Miller would both be better wingbacks as their strengths seem to be their engines and both can get balls into the box. They mostly play the full game in our half. Vente plays far too deep and ends up wrecked which means he is less likely to take chances, Boyle is better wide and Newell is better when he is less relied on for defensive duties. Very few players in thee team are playing in a way that suits them from what I can see so they stop being instinctive and fast thinking and revert to safe and passing the buck. At least Elie is being himself but that means he no longer starts. He provided more entertainment in a few minutes than the rest of the team did for the full game and I get the feeling it wouldn't have been welcomed from the bench. My way or the highway is fine when we get the points but it will unravel fairly quickly if we continue to lose games and spend most of them aimlessly passing it about defenders

Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post

He has real quality being wasted in the formation he’s being utilised in. All the chat from him and the club has been that he’s a 6, but would it really hurt to try him in a more advanced role ?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    He has real quality being wasted in the formation he’s being utilised in. All the chat from him and the club has been that he’s a 6, but would it really hurt to try him in a more advanced role ?
    That means changing formation so it’ll never happen.

It’s currently hurting having him as the 6. He needs to be dropped imo. 19 appearances with 0 goals and 1 assist whilst he’s also immobile and poor at the defensive side of the game. He’s offering absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    That means changing formation so it’ll never happen.

It’s currently hurting having him as the 6. He needs to be dropped imo. 19 appearances with 0 goals and 1 assist whilst he’s also immobile and poor at the defensive side of the game. He’s offering absolutely nothing.
    Add to the list of players totally wasted in the way we now play. We’ve recruited a manager totally at odds with the players of quality that we do have. That’s a very long game to play if you have to change the whole squad and there’s no way that any coaching team gets that long if it’s not enjoyable and we aren’t winning.

Levitt actually did really well in a 442 v Luzern but that was an aggressive and attacking performance with our winger playing as wingers and giving our midfield players someone to give the ball to in attacking areas.

Just play him as an 8 ffs.
    3 in the middle.
    Jeggo as the 6.
    Newell and Levitt as 8’s

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by #2 Double Tap View Post
    he's a number 10, playing as a deep play maker, pretty much the same as newell...........they only play well in that role.......the no,10 role
    His best games for united were all sitting deeper.

He was forward last night when he gave the ball away and had to take a booking. He was at the back when he gave the ball away against St Johnstone and they scored. I'm hoping he gets better, but I'm hoping not necessarily expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by EGL2000 View Post
    He can’t tackle which is quite important for a defensive midfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by snedzuk View Post
    He was forward last night when he gave the ball away and had to take a booking. He was at the back when he gave the ball away against St Johnstone and they scored. I'm hoping he gets better, but I'm hoping not necessarily expecting.
    Players are always going to make mistakes though - and it's preferable that he takes a booking up the other end of the park to giving away a goal like he did against St Johnstone. Further up the park you're more likely to get the benefit of what seems to be his strength - his passing ability - even if we haven't seen much end product from him in a Hibs shirt yet.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    He's a deep playmaker who isn't playmaking, last night I lost count the number of times he came deep, took the ball and immediately passed it back to the CH 4 yards away, rinse and repeat with the very odd ball played forwards. Yet to be convinced but he's looking like another bang average midfielder who's been over hyped.
    New Brian Hamilton

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EGL2000 View Post
    Did Dundee Utd only play 2 iñ the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by snedzuk View Post
    He got booked last night cos of a poor pass from Joe Newell, not because he gave the ball away. Newell apologised to him for the pass.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHFC View Post
    Add to the list of players totally wasted in the way we now play. We’ve recruited a manager totally at odds with the players of quality that we do have. That’s a very long game to play if you have to change the whole squad and there’s no way that any coaching team gets that long if it’s not enjoyable and we aren’t winning.

Levitt actually did really well in a 442 v Luzern but that was an aggressive and attacking performance with our winger playing as wingers and giving our midfield players someone to give the ball to in attacking areas.
    It’s also a squad that lost to every team in the league last season and would go on losing streaks out if the blue. It also lost the first 3 games where the performances were worse than the actual result’s while playing the to the strengths of the squad in the fabled 433. Montgomery or not, It’s not a squad I’d want to invest much time and energy into as can’t wait for it to be broken up.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    He got booked last night cos of a poor pass from Joe Newell, not because he gave the ball away. Newell apologised to him for the pass.
    He was right to do what he did to stop the counter there.

That passage of play just summed us up though. Ball in a good area, no composure, no real idea what to do and nobody really taking any responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    It’s also a squad that lost to every team in the league last season and would go on losing streaks out if the blue. It also lost the first 3 games where the performances were worse than the actual result’s while playing the to the strengths of the squad in the fabled 433. Montgomery or not, It’s not a squad I’d want to invest much time and energy into as can’t wait for it to be broken up.
    I think you’ll get your wish. Not sure how much in January, but certainly by the summer, as long as Montgomery makes it that far. Whatever folk think of him, he’s going to do things his way and isn’t going to be bothered about making any unpopular decisions in terms of outgoings. He’s already done that to a lesser extent with Hanlon and Stevenson having changed roles.