hibs.net Messageboard

Best of the year 2023

What’s your favourite album, film and TV show of the year?

Album - The Coral, Sea of Mirrors (and the companion album Holy Joe)

Film - Oppenheimer. Albeit I’ve yet to see Scorsese’s KOTFM

TV - The Bear season 2. Just incredible from start to finish. The Fishes and Forks episodes being the peak. (Succession coming a close 2nd for me)

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What’s your favourite album, film and TV show of the year?

Album - The Coral, Sea of Mirrors (and the companion album Holy Joe)

Film - Oppenheimer. Albeit I’ve yet to see Scorsese’s KOTFM

TV - The Bear season 2. Just incredible from start to finish. The Fishes and Forks episodes being the peak. (Succession coming a close 2nd for me)
    I've found it a bit of a slow year for films. Watched plenty on Netflix/Disney etc but nothing released this year is jumping out except for our only family trip to the cinema to see the Indiana Jones movie which I didn’t have high hopes for but was much more enjoyable than expected.

The Bear is very good. Couple of slightly under the radar shows I enjoyed were Australian releases, The Newsreader and Colin From Accounts.

I don't 'follow' music in the way I once did. If anything jumps out at me on 6 Music of a Saturday/Sunday morning I'll check it out but my playlists tend to be pretty dated!

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Album - Guillotines, Antagonistic
    Film - Godzilla Minus 1 (it's bloody marvelous)
    TV - The last of us , although I'm strangely attracted to The Curse which is just downright odd. Maybe because Emma Stone is in it

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Album: Turn The Car Around - Gaz Coombes
    Film: Didn’t see any. Hate the cinema.
    TV: James Bond - Road to a Million. Thought it might be dreadful but actually a very good gameshow with James Bond style production and genuinely good challenges that would no doubt be an experience of a lifetime for someone.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    Album: The Chemical Brothers - For That Beautiful Feeling
    Film - Guardians of the Galaxy vol 3
    TV: The Last of Us

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Album - Sick Boi - Ren, discovered the lad through this website last December, watched his audience grow which ended with a UK No1 album at the end of this year, what a journey!!!

Film - Difficult one but I love James Gunn and his films so - Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3, this year has been great for films and I could have picked others as my favourite too

TV - Last of Us, this blew me away with the production levels, the set design, the acting, the script all of it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member
    Been a year of revisiting for me so not watched or listened to much new stuff. So with that being said,

Album - Zach Bryan’s self titled album.

Film - Dune, obviously not released this year but one of the few films I watched for the first time this year.

TV - The Offer, the making of the Godfather.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Album: Invent Animate - Heavener (followed closely by Sleep Token - Take Me Back to Eden)

TV Show: The Last of Us - the production is incredible.

Film: Haven’t watched many if Im honest: Killers of the Flower Moon because im a sucker for Scorcese and Di Caprio!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Album: Without a shadow of a doubt False Lankum by Lankum. They have set a high bar but keep on raising it. This is a classic album.

Film: Barbie was good craic. Most of the movies i’ve watched this year have been pre 2023

TV: What We Do In The Shadows (season 5)… Show just keeps getting better. Anything Matt Berry is in is class but all the cast provide equally brilliant & hilarious performances

Blog Entries
    Album - Far From Saints by Far From Saints

Film - Oppenheimer

TV - Ted Lasso

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    Album - Sick Boi - Ren, discovered the lad through this website last December, watched his audience grow which ended with a UK No1 album at the end of this year, what a journey!!!

Film - Difficult one but I love James Gunn and his films so - Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3, this year has been great for films and I could have picked others as my favourite too

TV - Last of Us, this blew me away with the production levels, the set design, the acting, the script all of it.
    Ren is something else eh?! been listening to him daily for about a year, he can do anything.

Was genuinely delighted he got the number 1 Album.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mango Man View Post
    Ren is something else eh?! been listening to him daily for about a year, he can do anything.

Was genuinely delighted he got the number 1 Album.
    Yeah, it's not just his music but that has been the soundtrack to my life over the last 12 months. He has done something strange to the comments section of YouTube, he has made it less toxic and quite encouraging. His music is not the sort of music I would usually listen to but I cannot get enough of it. Everything that lands I have liked. I am even excited about what he will be doing next which I cannot say I have been for an artist for many years. Like you say I was also genuinely delighted he got the No1 slot and I hope he explodes properly and has a great career.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    Album: Without a shadow of a doubt False Lankum by Lankum. They have set a high bar but keep on raising it. This is a classic album.
    Love this. Took a chance buying it unheard, based on reviews from a number of friends. It's a knockout album. Sorry I missed their gig at the Queens Hall.

Close contender for album of the year is Tree by John Metcalfe. I seem to be listening to it on repeat just now.
    Last edited by grunt; 26-12-2023 at 05:12 PM.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Album: Billy Woods/Kenny Segal – Maps

Film: I rarely see anything in the cinema so I usually so films a couple of years later. For 2023 films I think Maestro is the best I've seen, but it's a short list.

TV: Succession, no question

Album (ish): New Era by Ishmael Ensemble.

Film: Pearl (Mia Goth is brilliant)

TV: Succession