hibs.net Messageboard

Question of Sport no more

Maybe this thread doesn't quite fit this particular forum but it's sad to see the demise of QoS which BBC has confirmed is being dumped. Since Sue Barker was ignominiously replaced by Paddy "amn't I funny" McGuinness (no), viewing figures have dropped from 4-5million to under 1 million. Hang your head in shame whoever was responsible. Some great hosts and captains over the years going back to the two Davids Vine and Coleman, Our 'Enry, the susprisingly droll Bill Beaumont, Ally McCoist etc. Although I no longer watch it with that pr1ck as host, it will be missed. Hopefully the Beeb will consider its return at some stage but reverting to a true sporting quiz.
    And by the way, bring back Quiz Ball too.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe this thread doesn't quite fit this particular forum but it's sad to see the demise of QoS which BBC has confirmed is being dumped. Since Sue Barker was ignominiously replaced by Paddy "amn't I funny" McGuinness (no), viewing figures have dropped from 4-5million to under 1 million. Hang your head in shame whoever was responsible. Some great hosts and captains over the years going back to the two Davids Vine and Coleman, Our 'Enry, the susprisingly droll Bill Beaumont, Ally McCoist etc. Although I no longer watch it with that pr1ck as host, it will be missed. Hopefully the Beeb will consider its return at some stage but reverting to a true sporting quiz.
    Shambolic to get McGuinness in

This is another one of those things that’s sad to hear but having not watched it in years (maybe decades) then I have to accept I’m partially to blame for its demise.

A bit like that sadness when a shop or pub shuts down but you can’t remember when you were last in it.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    I used to love it back in the day, Emyln Hughes and Bill Beaumont, but cant remember the last time i watched it, probably when someone posted John McGinn was on it, but couldnt tell you who was presenting it or any of the other contestants.

First Team Breakthrough Sloop67's Avatar
    I haven't watched it in years, long before the captains and hos were changed was the last time I saw it . I found it boring and repetitive at times . The cynic in me thinks that axing was probably the Beeb's long term plan in the first place, change the host, move it around in the schedules , lose viewers giving them a perfect excuse to dump the show , it's what The did with Dr Who back in the day , it was switched to a midweek slot put on against Corrie when people didn't have video recorders, it lost viewers and gave them the opportunity to dump it .
    Personally I think it's been on the slide for a while now long before Sue and co where dumped , it's still seems a ridiculous decision to put a guy who's famous for being Peter Kay's mate in as a quizmaster rather than a host with a sporting background .

@hibs.net private member
    I completely went off it when that England rugby player who's name I have forgotten and Phil Tuffnel, the show just turned into a circus act and a competition on who could be the funniest clown

In saying that I actually didn't mind Mcoist as I think he is naturally funny

Was John Parrot a Captain at one point too ?

And Steve Davis, from being an ultra boring but great snooker player to actually being quite funny

First Team Breakthrough Sloop67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    I completely went off it when that England rugby player who's name I have forgotten and Phil Tuffnel, the show just turned into a circus act and a competition on who could be the funniest clown

And Steve Davis, from being an ultra boring but great snooker player to actually being quite funny
    It was Matt Dawson , I also can't stand the guy

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post

Think Parrot was a captain at the same time McCoist was, as you say it still worked reasonably well then.

I agree, Tuffnell just came across as a clown rather than humour being a part of the show, like that person in a group who has to be funny every time they open their mouth

It all got a bit silly once They Think It’s All Over got canned and they tried to make QoS more of a comedy show when in the past it didn’t have to try to be funny.

A League of Their Own on Sky is basically a Poundland rehash.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop67 View Post
    It was Matt Dawson , I also can't stand the guy
    Me neither, he finished my interest in it.

My partner always calls me through when he’s on as she thinks I have an irrational dislike of him(perfectly rational imo).

It definitely went too far towards trying to be funny. In the past it just had naturally funny moments but in recent years Tuffnell and Dawson were unbearable and then the latest revamp that saw sportspeople mixed with assorted other 'celebs' just killed it.

When I was a bairn it was David Coleman presenting with Bill Beaumont and Ian Botham as captains, John Parrott and Ally McCoist came next and then Frankie Dettori replaced Parrot. I rarely missed it in that period. After the aforementioned duo joined I rarely watched it.

I think it's another show that suffered a bit because of social media. A round like 'what happened next' just wouldn't work now because every sporting mishap has been seen by about 100M people within a day of it happening.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It definitely went too far towards trying to be funny. In the past it just had naturally funny moments but in recent years Tuffnell and Dawson were unbearable and then the latest revamp that saw sportspeople mixed with assorted other 'celebs' just killed it.

When I was a bairn it was David Coleman presenting with Bill Beaumont and Ian Botham as captains, John Parrott and Ally McCoist came next and then Frankie Dettori replaced Parrot. I rarely missed it in that period. After the aforementioned duo joined I rarely watched it.

I think it's another show that suffered a bit because of social media. A round like 'what happened next' just wouldn't work now because every sporting mishap has been seen by about 100M people within a day of it happening.

Exactly the same experience and memories for me as well. Natural humour between the captains and hosts made it attractive viewing, but when it became forced and more about trying to be funny than about the quiz, it lost its appeal quickly

Blog Entries
    Outstayed its welcome laterally, and now humanely put to rest. Thank god.

Enjoyed it as a kid and I bet back in those days of just three channels the viewing figures were great.

First captains I remember were Gareth Edwards, Emlyn Hughes, Willie Carson abd Bill Beaumont, but not sure which order they were in.