hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Too Good To Go

@hibs.net private member

Too Good To Go

Pretty sure I’ve seen a thread on here about this before but can’t find it. I’ve just downloaded the app and bought 2 surprise bags, 1 from Greggs for £2.60 and 1 from Aldi for £3.30. Has anyone used it before?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks, knew I’d seen it on here before.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    I've used it a few times now, actually had a greggs one on Monday, chicken bake, cheese and onion bake, honey glazed ham baguette, 2 yum yums and a doughnut for £2.95. Pretty good deal

@hibs.net private member
    I've bought 264 in total 🫣 just checked my account from varios outlets.
    Greggs is good for the money. Baynes is on the next level.

La Barantine is excellent.
    Last edited by Itsnoteasy; 16-12-2023 at 07:11 PM.

I had one from Morrisons Daily last week and it has put me off a bit. 4 (four!) pints of skimmed milk that was out of date that day, a sour cream dip that was already out of date, two Ginsters slices and some pitta breads that we stuck in the freezer.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    I had one from Morrisons Daily last week and it has put me off a bit. 4 (four!) pints of skimmed milk that was out of date that day, a sour cream dip that was already out of date, two Ginsters slices and some pitta breads that we stuck in the freezer.
    Stay clear of the supermarket ones as they just rummage the double yellow sticker cabinet. Always worth looking at the star rating b4 buying. Normally found above 4 🌟 tends to be good.

Marks and Spencers petrol station shops always seem to be outstanding value.

@hibs.net private member
    Got a Costa one yesterday, Turkey Stuffing sandwich, Prawn sandwich, 2 ham and cheese toasties and 2 portions of macaroni cheese for £3.50. Can’t complain

Quote Originally Posted by Itsnoteasy View Post
    Stay clear of the supermarket ones as they just rummage the double yellow sticker cabinet. Always worth looking at the star rating b4 buying. Normally found above 4 🌟 tends to be good.
    Good shout. I got a Caffè Nero one and that was great tbf.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    Got a Costa one yesterday, Turkey Stuffing sandwich, Prawn sandwich, 2 ham and cheese toasties and 2 portions of macaroni cheese for £3.50. Can’t complain
    That's very decent, never had much joy there.

Not quite the same but I love the big fruit and veg boxes from Lidl that they sell for £1.50. They can be a bit hit or miss but I like that you can look through them and select one that suits.

The sell by dates on fruit and veg are quite irrelevant anyway, I'll happily use stuff if it feels, smells and looks OK but even if you are a bit more careful there is so much you can do to preserve and store fruit and veg.

I got a box the other week with 8 onions. Used a couple and the rest can be chopped and frozen. There was a dozen apples, again chop them and freeze them. A pack of celery, used a couple of sticks, blanched and froze the rest. There was about 5 bananas that were close to being past it so made banana bread and banana pancakes; the latter can be frozen and make a good quick breakfast. 2 packs of carrots, used a couple then blanched and froze the rest. There was also a pile of different herbs which can be chopped and frozen in a little bit of oil and just added to a dish as required. I also make chutneys, jams, relishes etc and you can get the bulk of the ingredients out of one of those boxes if you are lucky.

Having loads of chopped veg and herbs ready to go is great. If you are using them as a base for a sauce then there isn't any need to defrost them, just chuck them in and go. As long as you blanch stuff like carrots and celery they keep a decent texture as well.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Not quite the same but I love the big fruit and veg boxes from Lidl that they sell for £1.50. They can be a bit hit or miss but I like that you can look through them and select one that suits.

The sell by dates on fruit and veg are quite irrelevant anyway, I'll happily use stuff if it feels, smells and looks OK but even if you are a bit more careful there is so much you can do to preserve and store fruit and veg.

I got a box the other week with 8 onions. Used a couple and the rest can be chopped and frozen. There was a dozen apples, again chop them and freeze them. A pack of celery, used a couple of sticks, blanched and froze the rest. There was about 5 bananas that were close to being past it so made banana bread and banana pancakes; the latter can be frozen and make a good quick breakfast. 2 packs of carrots, used a couple then blanched and froze the rest. There was also a pile of different herbs which can be chopped and frozen in a little bit of oil and just added to a dish as required. I also make chutneys, jams, relishes etc and you can get the bulk of the ingredients out of one of those boxes if you are lucky.

Having loads of chopped veg and herbs ready to go is great. If you are using them as a base for a sauce then there isn't any need to defrost them, just chuck them in and go. As long as you blanch stuff like carrots and celery they keep a decent texture as well.
    You often get things in them that are great for pickling too.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    You often get things in them that are great for pickling too.
    Love a bit of pickling.

I have an Ooni pizza oven. Recently made a pickled pineapple and nduja pizza with hot honey. One of the best pizzas I’ve ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Love a bit of pickling.

I have an Ooni pizza oven. Recently made a pickled pineapple and nduja pizza with hot honey. One of the best pizzas I’ve ever had.
    Pickled pineapple has me intrigued. Sounds so nice but so wrong. I feel dirty

Love a bit of pickling.

Pickled pineapple?

That sounds interesting. Is there a particular recipe you would recommend online anywhere?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Pickled pineapple?

That sounds interesting. Is there a particular recipe you would recommend online anywhere?
    https://www.runningtothekitchen.com/spicy-pickled-pineapple/

This is the one I used.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC

This is the one I used.
    Did you find the citrus rice vinegar anywhere? Or just use normal rice vinegar?

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Love a bit of pickling.

That sounds class.

I had a couple of ooni pizzas at the weekend and I’m absolutely sold, gonna see if the price comes down after Christmas and order a pellet fuelled one.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    Did you find the citrus rice vinegar anywhere? Or just use normal rice vinegar?
    I just used white distilled vinegar.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    That sounds class.

I had a couple of ooni pizzas at the weekend and I’m absolutely sold, gonna see if the price comes down after Christmas and order a pellet fuelled one.
    They’re great. I have a communal garden so don’t get to use mine as often as I’d like so I’ve been considering getting the Volt to use indoors.

I’ve ended up down a proper rabbit hole with pizza dough, experimenting with different hydrations, biga, poolish, sourdough etc.

My only warning on a pellet one would be that they used to need filled up all the time, not sure what the new ones are like. I’ve used the old Ooni 3 pellet oven and it almost had to be someone’s job just to keep the fire going while someone else made pizzas. I have the Koda which is gas and it’s definitely a lot easier to use but obviously loses that fun side of the wood.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 20-12-2023 at 07:39 AM.

Ooni gas is much better than the pellets so much easier to use.

East pizza dough is great if you can’t be bothered like me making it!

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70

This is the one I used.
    And if you get it wrong just go to Https:// www.runningtothetoilet.com