hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Treadmills

Treadmills

Considering buying a treadmill.

Anyone got any advice around running belt width or know anywhere that might be selling treadmills 2nd hand? I know sometimes gyms sell off older equipment.

Seems an average price is around £400.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Anyone got any advice around running belt width or know anywhere that might be selling treadmills 2nd hand? I know sometimes gyms sell off older equipment.

Cant advise on treadmills but I would caution you if you are considering this for use at home. I bought a gym standard exercise bike which took up quite a lot of space in the room it was kept, I found it after the initial excitement of getting it to be more of an obstacle and later regretted getting it for my house which just wasn’t big enough for it.
    So do you know where you will use it and where it will be stored, is space an issue? Would your use of the equipment disturb anyone? Family, neighbours?

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    Cant advise on treadmills but I would caution you if you are considering this for use at home. I bought a gym standard exercise bike which took up quite a lot of space in the room it was kept, I found it after the initial excitement of getting it to be more of an obstacle and later regretted getting it for my house which just wasn’t big enough for it.
    So do you know where you will use it and where it will be stored, is space an issue? Would your use of the equipment disturb anyone? Family, neighbours?
    Thanks. I have a garage which it would fit fine in but that is connected to the neighbours garage and house. I hadn’t really considered noise being an issue but I guess some treadmills can be loud? Certainly don’t want to be disturbing half of the street when using it.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    If you are going to spend a fair bit, it's worth considering leaving it until around April time. People who buy them in January with good intentions are selling them as unused around this time.

Run or walk in the open air. Better for you and free. 🙂

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    Run or walk in the open air. Better for you and free. ��
    Ideally, sure. But for some people avoiding crap weather or the ability to watch tv or whatever on a treadmill could be the difference between running and not running.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Hibee View Post

Don’t forget length as well as width, some cheaper ones aren’t very long and it can difficult for taller people to run on them as their stride length is too long

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    Run or walk in the open air. Better for you and free. 🙂
    I prefer to get out in the fresh air but sometimes running on pavements particularly in the winter isn’t ideal. Pretty sure it would motivate me more knowing I don’t actually have to go anywhere other than my garage to do some exercise

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Don’t forget length as well as width, some cheaper ones aren’t very long and it can difficult for taller people to run on them as their stride length is too long
    👍🏼