hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 211 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes I know that, I asked why PHeffernan feels he won’t play until the end of January.
    **** knows.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Melkersen will be available for Motherwell on the 3rd. I guess we probably won’t see him get minutes until Forfar though.

Would love to see us try for Billy Sharp

Why won’t Melkersen be able to play until the end of January?
    Registration reasons due to his loan followed by the January shut down*.

*Caveat - Unless someone knows different

Quote Originally Posted by eastmainsmsh View Post
    Would love to see us try for Billy Sharp
    Sharp is a free agent after LA Galaxy declined to take up the option to keep him for another season.
    He is 38 in 2 months. What could possibly go wrong?
    Like Le Fondre he's been a great striker but the fat woman is warming up her voice and is almost certainly about to sing.
    Last edited by PHeffernan; 03-12-2023 at 06:02 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeffernan View Post
    Sharp is a free agent after LA Galaxy declined to take up the option to keep him for another season.
    He is 38 in 2 months. What could possibly go wrong?
    Like Le Fondre he's been a great striker but the fat woman is warming up her voice and is almost certainly about to sing.
    38, so what, if he is fit and raring to go whats the issue ? Not sure what the last part of your post means but would help if you could explain it 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    38, so what, if he is fit and raring to go whats the issue ? Not sure what the last part of your post means but would help if you could explain it ��
    By not taking up their option, LA Galaxy have clearly decided he is not worth another contract.

Re the last part
    "It ain't over until the fat lady sings" cautions against assuming that the current state of an event is irreversible and clearly determines how or when the event will end.
    Last edited by PHeffernan; 03-12-2023 at 06:14 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    By not taking up their option, LA Galaxy have clearly decided he is not worth another contract.

Re the last part
    "It ain't over until the fat lady sings" cautions against assuming that the current state of an event is irreversible and clearly determines how or when the event will end.
    Re the last part, can we not just talk in ****ing laymans terms as opposed to whats bouncing around your heid ? 🙄

Mika Biereth?

5 goals and 2 assists in 5 starts for Motherwell.

On loan from Arsenal, could we do a similar deal that we got for Harry Clarke?

Suppose a player like him would probably depend on what we decide with Melkersen

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Re the last part, can we not just talk in ****ing laymans terms as opposed to whats bouncing around your heid ? 🙄
    Where is the fun in that

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Mika Biereth?

Suppose a player like him would probably depend on what we decide with Melkersen
    That laddie is the real deal.
    Ripped Stevenson and Fish new erses.
    Some idiot injured him a few weeks later. He has just recently returned to fitness and taken up where he left off.
    Last edited by PHeffernan; 03-12-2023 at 06:49 PM.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Registration reasons due to his loan followed by the January shut down*.

*Caveat - Unless someone knows different
    His registration will transfer back to Hibs on January 1st.

His registration will transfer back to Hibs on January 1st.
    Melkersen played his last game for Stromgodset today in a 3-0 home win over Brann.
    Had a disallowed goal for offside but it was a good finish.
    Has played 12 league games on loan scoring 4 goals and his team finished the season 7th of 16.
    Has been playing as No.9 and that is his position. No other position will do.
    Will return now and kick his heals until the Forfar game in late January unless the manager decides to play him in the pre break game on January 2nd. He will be 21 on auld years day.
    Last edited by PHeffernan; 03-12-2023 at 07:35 PM.

Coaching Staff
    Jacob Farrell was MOM for the Mariners for the second week in a row this week.

The feeling in Oz is that he will be the next Mariners player to be signed by an overseas club.

He’s also an Under 23 internationalist.

Melkersen played his last game for Stromgodset today in a 3-0 home win over Brann.
    Had a disallowed goal for offside but it was a good finish.
    Has played 12 league games on loan scoring 4 goals and his team finished the season 7th of 16.
    Has been playing as No.9 and that is his position. No other position will do.
    Will return now and kick his heals until the Forfar game in late January unless the manager decides to play him in the pre break game on January 2nd. He will be 21 on auld years day.
    So he could play before the end of January after all!

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    So he could play before the end of January after all!
    Yup, and considering we currently have a 16 year striker regularly appearing on the bench I’d imagine Monty will be keen to get him in the squad ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Mika Biereth?

He and Blair Spittal are in excellent form for Well. Certainly wouldn’t turn my nose up at either of them, I think the latter is available on a pre in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    He and Blair Spittal are in excellent form for Well. Certainly wouldn’t turn my nose up at either of them, I think the latter is available on a pre in January.
    Always thought Spittal was an honest, decent player at Dundee United etc, and hits a good free-kick. I’m not convinced he’d really improve any of our current positions in terms of starting though.

Mika Bireth from Motherwell and Owen beck from Dundee are 2 we should be trying to get in January.
    Could be doing with Liverpool and Arsenal cancelling their loans and giving them to us, similar to what happened with Harry Clarke.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by JammyDoidger View Post
    Mika Bireth from Motherwell and Owen beck from Dundee are 2 we should be trying to get in January.
    Could be doing with Liverpool and Arsenal cancelling their loans and giving them to us, similar to what happened with Harry Clarke.
    ISTR that went well. Played for a few games, got injured, didn't play again and didn't come back for the next season to finish the 18 month deal as Arsenal used the break clause to send him somewhere else.

Melkersen coming back will hopefully be like a new signing and rotating with Vente will allow him to get regular minutes until the end of the season, said it before in another thread but I really really hope he comes back refreshed and ready to grab the opportunity with both hands. Clearly a player in there, just needed coaxed out (people forget he had barely turned 19 when he first rocked up).

Cadden and McKirdy will be like new signings as well if we can get them fit and ready in January (although happy to concede we may not see the most of McKirdy this season?) but we're fairly light in the LM/RM slots on this system so these guys coming back will make the depth look a hell of a lot healthier.

In terms of new contracts I think I'd be waiting until closer to the seasons end before I dish any out but my initial thoughts are

ALF - wait and see how his body is as he'll have been out for around 3/4 months by the time we see him back, could be a sign for the future.
    Doidge - I'd like to see us shake hands and move on from.
    Lewy - I reckon Lewy will call it a day, I think he was close last season and the summer would maybe be the right time.
    Hanlon - I'd be happy to extend Hanlon's contract on the basis that he knows he's going to be back up CB and isn't taking up a huge chunk of our budget (similar situation to Daz?)
    Jeggo - I like Jeggo, I think he goes under appreciated at times and does what he does better than anyone else in the squad, but at 32 by the time the season ends we may look for fresher legs.
    Marshall - Call me crazy but if he wants to stay and be number 2 for one more season I honestly don't mind it, especially if it allows Murray Johnson to perhaps go on loan again. Depends on how much he wants really.

I think the summer may be a big window for rebuilding parts of the squad/moving people on. Especially once NM has identified who he wants to keep and who should probably move on.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    The current squad is capable of coming third. I'm not saying they will (although I have a fairly sizeable bet on it with the bookies). The form guide will tell you that ourselves and Hearts are the two teams really capable and they struggle to score goals, but defend better.

We have 3 goalies
    We have three decent centre halves and one who is pretty much untried but has decent pedigree
    We are a bit short on full backs, but Cadden is on the way back
    We have decent choices in centre midfield in Levitt, Newell and jeggo
    We have good choices in wide midfield slots in Squirrel, Youan, Tavares and Campbell
    We have Vente and Doidge currently vying for the centre forward slot, with ALF, Melks and McKirdy to come back

We have Delferriere and whittaker to plug gaps

I wouldn't be surprised if Monty doesn't hold off most of his spending until the summer unless we get the chance to sign a serious upgrade somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    Melkersen coming back will hopefully be like a new signing and rotating with Vente will allow him to get regular minutes until the end of the season, said it before in another thread but I really really hope he comes back refreshed and ready to grab the opportunity with both hands. Clearly a player in there, just needed coaxed out (people forget he had barely turned 19 when he first rocked up).

Cadden and McKirdy will be like new signings as well if we can get them fit and ready in January (although happy to concede we may not see the most of McKirdy this season?) but we're fairly light in the LM/RM slots on this system so these guys coming back will make the depth look a hell of a lot healthier.

In terms of new contracts I think I'd be waiting until closer to the seasons end before I dish any out but my initial thoughts are

ALF - wait and see how his body is as he'll have been out for around 3/4 months by the time we see him back, could be a sign for the future.
    Doidge - I'd like to see us shake hands and move on from.
    Lewy - I reckon Lewy will call it a day, I think he was close last season and the summer would maybe be the right time.
    Hanlon - I'd be happy to extend Hanlon's contract on the basis that he knows he's going to be back up CB and isn't taking up a huge chunk of our budget (similar situation to Daz?)
    Jeggo - I like Jeggo, I think he goes under appreciated at times and does what he does better than anyone else in the squad, but at 32 by the time the season ends we may look for fresher legs.
    Marshall - Call me crazy but if he wants to stay and be number 2 for one more season I honestly don't mind it, especially if it allows Murray Johnson to perhaps go on loan again. Depends on how much he wants really.

I think the summer may be a big window for rebuilding parts of the squad/moving people on. Especially once NM has identified who he wants to keep and who should probably move on.
    I think we'll see Lewis go into coaching, he was a big reason young Doig progressed so we'll, maybe join Daz in U18's coaching set up

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I think we'll see Lewis go into coaching, he was a big reason young Doig progressed so we'll, maybe join Daz in U18's coaching set up
    Maybe, but I always feel Lewy's strength is his willingness to work hard, stay fit, give 100% and do what he's told. He's consistent, does what the manager ask and is a "model pro" however if we are trying to train our defenders to play out from the back I'm not convinced he's the man.

Maybe better as a fitness and conditioning coach if he got a qualification in that.. more than a first team football coach ??

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Maybe, but I always feel Lewy's strength is his willingness to work hard, stay fit, give 100% and do what he's told. He's consistent, does what the manager ask and is a "model pro" however if we are trying to train our defenders to play out from the back I'm not convinced he's the man.

Maybe better as a fitness and conditioning coach if he got a qualification in that.. more than a first team football coach ??
    I think he's said previously he would probably like to be a youth coach rather than a manager/first team coach which I can see being a good thing for the academy. If I was the father of a laddie trying to make it in the academy I'd be telling them to take in every word he says.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    LB, GK, back up striker for me

Injuries coming back will help

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    I think he's said previously he would probably like to be a youth coach rather than a manager/first team coach which I can see being a good thing for the academy. If I was the father of a laddie trying to make it in the academy I'd be telling them to take in every word he says.
    Yea that makes sense, whenever I hear him interviewed he always seem to have quite low confidence in his own abilities, I can't imagine him telling seasoned Pros how to play..but you are right, he would be a fantastic mentor for young footballers.

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post

He was a big reason Doig improved so much that we got the money we did for him, Lewis took him and Mackie under his wing and guided them both, he's a perfect player for young kids to look up to. He spoke in an interview at that time that he realises he's in the twilight of his career and his job was to help the youngsters just like when he was a lad coming through.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Still think a bit of quality drive in the middle of the park that can also tackle is essential

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Still think a bit of quality drive in the middle of the park that can also tackle is essential
    So another Joe Newell?

We play two central midfielders. We’d be looking at a very decent outlay to get better than we have in there.