hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd rather cynical fouls are reds. Rocky's challenge on Saturday should be a red for me. He basically halved the Dundee player and that should be more than a sin bin. It would be painful at first but I would argue jersey pulls and trips when a player has ran past you should be a red. Like rugby every rule change should be about getting more game play and more excitement and any rule that disadvantages teh anti football teams would be a good thing.
    Said the same thing about ‘professional fouls’ for ages. Straight red. It’s cheating plain and simple.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I'd rather cynical fouls are reds. Rocky's challenge on Saturday should be a red for me. He basically halved the Dundee player and that should be more than a sin bin. It would be painful at first but I would argue jersey pulls and trips when a player has ran past you should be a red. Like rugby every rule change should be about getting more game play and more excitement and any rule that disadvantages teh anti football teams would be a good thing.
    Rocky tripped the boy up who was running at 100 mph. He’s been beaten to the ball by about a thousandth of a second. There was loads of cover as well, it’s not as if the boy was through on goal. Stuff like that is a foul and a booking and that should be it. Send folk off for stuff like that and we’d be regularly seeing multiple sendings off per game and games being further ruined.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Rocky tripped the boy up who was running at 100 mph. He’s been beaten to the ball by about a thousandth of a second. There was loads of cover as well, it’s not as if the boy was through on goal. Stuff like that is a foul and a booking and that should be it. Send folk off for stuff like that and we’d be regularly seeing multiple sendings off per game and games being further ruined.
    Hahahaha that's not even close to what happened.
    Rocky deliberately chopped the guy down and "took one for the team" as they say....

Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    Hahahaha that's not even close to what happened.
    Rocky deliberately chopped the guy down and "took one for the team" as they say....
    The boy is running that quick that Rocky just goes in to make a challenge, gets beaten to the ball and ends up wiping him out. Either way, whether you think it was deliberate or not, red cards for stuff like that or even a sin bin, just nut. Players would never want to make a challenge if there was the threat of a sin bin every time someone ran past them.

I could see the Orange card being very beneficial to sevco over the course of a season.
    ^
    Sorry meant " Scottish football "

@hibs.net private member
    Not what my eyes saw. He knew exactly what he was doing and knew the rules meant he was unlikely to be sent off.

Not what my eyes saw. He knew exactly what he was doing and knew the rules meant he was unlikely to be sent off.
    And hopefully the rules continue to mean that. You shouldn’t be getting sent of for tripping someone up when there is cover in that type of position.

And it’s the big problem with introducing something like this, there is still too much which is subjective. It would just add another layer of debate and lead to more stoppages, more reviews etc.

The object should be to keep players on the pitch and keep the game moving but we’re heading in exactly the opposite direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    It’s kinda obvious no? Stamps out crowding the ref, one voice rather than multiple voices, knowing this leads to better communication, probably the best at keeping the head and getting their point across will be captain (ie good leader). It’s worked well with rugby no reason it should with football.

Just for clarity this is about captain approaching ref.
    Much rather see refs actually do their jobs properly than bother with rules like this.

They generally earn the dissent they get by being hopeless.

@hibs.net private member
    And hopefully the rules continue to mean that. You shouldn’t be getting sent of for tripping someone up when there is cover in that type of position.

And it’s the big problem with introducing something like this, there is still too much which is subjective. It would just add another layer of debate and lead to more stoppages, more reviews etc.

The object should be to keep players on the pitch and keep the game moving but we’re heading in exactly the opposite direction.
    That seems contradictory to me. Keep the game moving needs rules to stop players deliberately slowing it down for foul play. I do agree with teh subjective part but at least there are plenty of fouls that are not subjective and that are clearly not mistimed tackles. Could the defender have mistimes the tackle is the grey area and I would give them the benefit of the doubt in that case. I would not allow VAR any more than 1 minute if they want to overturn a refs decision and the only way to stop the behaviour is to punish it. An orange card will suffer the same amount of issues as the red in terms of stoppages so I would make sure that behaviour means you are off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Sponsored by the Louden Tavern, and every time one is brandished a full chorus of the Billy Boys belts out? With a 5 second delay so Sky can turn the sound down?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk
    Billy Connolly and his pals robbed a bank while these pantomime dames played at toy sojers on the street outside.

The bank it did surrender !!
    Surrender now yer skint !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpAQQZyWdBg
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 28-11-2023 at 07:22 PM.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    Billy Connolly and his pals robbed a bank while these pantomime dames played at toy sodjers outside.

The bank it did surrender !!
    Surrender now yer skint !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpAQQZyWdBg

Not really sodjers Mick, Blowhard inadequates in the only sort of uniform they'll ever get near. Some might even fit.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

That seems contradictory to me. Keep the game moving needs rules to stop players deliberately slowing it down for foul play. I do agree with teh subjective part but at least there are plenty of fouls that are not subjective and that are clearly not mistimed tackles. Could the defender have mistimes the tackle is the grey area and I would give them the benefit of the doubt in that case. I would not allow VAR any more than 1 minute if they want to overturn a refs decision and the only way to stop the behaviour is to punish it. An orange card will suffer the same amount of issues as the red in terms of stoppages so I would make sure that behaviour means you are off.
    When I talk about keeping the game moving I’m talking, predominantly, about VAR interventions. If they introduce a sin bin it’s just something else to review and slow things down.

Fouls are just part and parcel of the game. You’re wanting a red every time someone brings someone down or pulls someone back if they run past them, if deemed to be cynical or whatever. I find that mad. That, to me, is basically removing tackling from the game because folk would be terrified to put a challenge in. What one ref would deem deliberate, another wouldn’t.

Games are ruined when the numbers are reduced, we don’t need to be coming up with more reasons to send folk off than currently exist IMO. Especially not for tripping someone up in a non goal scoring area or something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post

Not really sodjers Mick, Blowhard inadequates in the only sort of uniform they'll ever get near. Some might even fit.

No, just ludicrously sad and grown elderly bigoted men with limited social life dressed up in theatrical costumes of the type that Charlie Chaplin would have had in his wardrobe.
    Delightful scene from that film,though.
    Billy must have loved doing it.
    Just came natural to a comic genius.
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 28-11-2023 at 07:32 PM.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    No, just ludicrously sad and grown elderly bigoted men with limited social life dressed up in theatrical costumes of the type that Charlie Chaplin would have had in his wardrobe.
    Delightful scene from that film,though.
    Billy must have loved doing it.
    Just came natural to a comic genius.
    We are as one here mate.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

First Team Regular
    Basically agree with the OP that the idea of orange cards is likely to cause more problems. The last thing we need is another level of complexity to the game with debates as to whether a foul is a yellow/orange or orange/red.

Haven't read the details on this but I think the difference in rugby - certainly during the World Cup - was that yellow cards result in the sin bin and could be upgraded to red by the VAR (or TMO) if considered serious enough. In principle that isn't a bad idea as it can save time by getting on with the game meantime. But sadly we've seen all too often already that we can't rely on our VAR's to come up with impartial decisions.

@hibs.net private member
    When I talk about keeping the game moving I’m talking, predominantly, about VAR interventions. If they introduce a sin bin it’s just something else to review and slow things down.

Fouls are just part and parcel of the game. You’re wanting a red every time someone brings someone down or pulls someone back if they run past them, if deemed to be cynical or whatever. I find that mad. That, to me, is basically removing tackling from the game because folk would be terrified to put a challenge in. What one ref would deem deliberate, another wouldn’t.

Games are ruined when the numbers are reduced, we don’t need to be coming up with more reasons to send folk off than currently exist IMO. Especially not for tripping someone up in a non goal scoring area or something along those lines.
    If someone deliberately stops an attack with no intention of playing the ball then that is as anti football as it comes. Teams do this repeatedly and share fouls round and it ruins games and stops the type of football we are trying to play. I actually think the opposite in terms of red cards for follow through when playing the ball. Tackling is a big part of the game and leeway should be given when someone slightly mistimes a tackle or teh follow through ends up catching a player. I want more tackling and less cheating and where the ball is on the pitch really doesn't bother me in terms of a professional foul. They are made for a reason and it is never for the benefit of an entertaining game.

If someone deliberately stops an attack with no intention of playing the ball then that is as anti football as it comes. Teams do this repeatedly and share fouls round and it ruins games and stops the type of football we are trying to play. I actually think the opposite in terms of red cards for follow through when playing the ball. Tackling is a big part of the game and leeway should be given when someone slightly mistimes a tackle or teh follow through ends up catching a player. I want more tackling and less cheating and where the ball is on the pitch really doesn't bother me in terms of a professional foul. They are made for a reason and it is never for the benefit of an entertaining game.
    Sending folk off for fouls 80 yards from goal, just because they’re cynical, isn’t the answer for me. Apart from anything the whole subjectivity thing would make it impossible to implement. It would be chaos every week with arguments about players going for the ball and just mistiming things or whatever. Look at the difficulty they have trying to come to decisions about apparent factual things like offside. If we go down the route of sin bins, red cards or whatever for things that have always been a foul and booking, we’re on our way to it being like American football the length of time games will go on.

@hibs.net private member
    Sending folk off for fouls 80 yards from goal, just because they’re cynical, isn’t the answer for me. Apart from anything the whole subjectivity thing would make it impossible to implement. It would be chaos every week with arguments about players going for the ball and just mistiming things or whatever. Look at the difficulty they have trying to come to decisions about apparent factual things like offside. If we go down the route of sin bins, red cards or whatever for things that have always been a foul and booking, we’re on our way to it being like American football the length of time games will go on.
    Or players will think twice about cynical fouls, football with flow more and the game will be faster and more exciting. I am only talking about obviously cynical fouls and I'm pretty sure most fans know one when they see one and most of us get frustrated by teams stopping flowing football. You could limit it to when the foul is in half of the defending team or similar but my main point is the players who are deliberately making the game worse receive little punishment for it, I'd like that to change

Or players will think twice about cynical fouls, football with flow more and the game will be faster and more exciting. I am only talking about obviously cynical fouls and I'm pretty sure most fans know one when they see one and most of us get frustrated by teams stopping flowing football. You could limit it to when the foul is in half of the defending team or similar but my main point is the players who are deliberately making the game worse receive little punishment for it, I'd like that to change
    I think the problem is that players would think twice of about going in for challenges full stop. I actually get the point you’re making or more why you’re making it. I just think it would cause chaos. What’s obvious to one person isn’t to another. There are things that are part of the game and that you need to overcome and, IMO, the changes they are making to the game and the additional hassle they bring are just making it less enjoyable.

@hibs.net private member
    I think the problem is that players would think twice of about going in for challenges full stop. I actually get the point you’re making or more why you’re making it. I just think it would cause chaos. What’s obvious to one person isn’t to another. There are things that are part of the game and that you need to overcome and, IMO, the changes they are making to the game and the additional hassle they bring are just making it less enjoyable.
    Football just wants to be crap. Take the six second rule for Keepers. That was an excellent rule and now completely ignored. Standing in front of a free kick so it can't be taken quickly, so easy to sort that with instant yellows but hardly ever policed. It can be done just ask Rugby players who don't roll away from rucks quickly enough. The responsibility is on the player in the wrong place to get out the way and the rule designed to speed the game up.

I suffer from being a bit of an idealist so I completely understand what you are saying in terms of the interruptions it could cause and the grey areas but I would hope that they would be temporary and players would eventually understand that foul play to deliberately slow the game down will be punished. severely. I'm similar with players who dive when there isn't even a hint of contact. To me that is a red card

A cynical foul should be red full stop.

But I like the idea of a sin bin for dissent. Players will have to adapt to the new rules in the same way they did when the pass back was banned.

I'd also like to see players booked for exaggerating contact whilst the original foul stands. On Saturday Beck would have been booked both times that Miller was.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Leave the game alone I think.

I'm opposed to this overall but especially in Scotland as anything that gives more power and input to officials in our country makes the game worse.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post

I'm opposed to this overall but especially in Scotland as anything that gives more power and input to officials in our country makes the game worse.
    Spot on.

Coaching Staff
    Don’t want us to go down the path of the sin bin.

Think it would encourage players to commit more fouls as 10 minutes in a sin bin is say, much better than letting someone score a goal.

The thought of being sent off for the remainder of the game is a decent deterrent….not so much a 10 minute spell.

Agree with this. It won’t happen, but I really wish we could get rid of VAR and just go back to the on field decision being the decision. The less of them looking at things, and the less opportunity to look at things, the better IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Don’t want us to go down the path of the sin bin.

Think it would encourage players to commit more fouls as 10 minutes in a sin bin is say, much better than letting someone score a goal.

The thought of being sent off for the remainder of the game is a decent deterrent….not so much a 10 minute spell.
    How come? 10 mins in the sin bin is much more of a deterrent than a yellow, which is given for the vast majority of "professional" fouls currently and has minimal consequence for the perpetrator and his team. You've only got to tot up how often these fouls take place in each game and consider the praise players get for taking one for the team to reach the clear conclusion that a yellow is insufficient punishment. Turn it on its head so instead of being praised for taking one for the team, a "professional" foul results in the perpetrator being criticised for putting his team at a disadvantage. You'd still have the existing threshold for a red eg if it denied a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Think this would cause more issues than it would solve. Team gets a player in sin bin, cue 2/3 players feigning injury at intervals to eat up the 10mins they’re down a man. I don’t think this would add to the spectator experience at all, and after the disaster of introducing VAR, this is the last thing we need.

Sin bin is probably more workable in rugby for example as the clock is only live when the ball is in play.

For truly cynical fouls where there is clearly no intention to play the ball, these should be straight reds.

Very much so.

Works perfectly well in rugby, losing a player for 10-15 mins can have a major impact. How many times have we seen guys red carded and it wasn’t merited, reds should only be given for serious foul play.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    The trial will also include a rule allowing only the team captain to approach the referee during a game.

a bugbear of mines for many years, get it done, players that have absolutely nothing to do with 'incidents' yet they think by piling in and surrounding the referee he will say 'aye ok i'll do what you advise Mr player'

huge more respect shown towards the referee in Rugby, they know if they argue then they are punished another 10 yards, sorted