hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Terry Venables

Terry Venables

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67537553

Very good manager in his heyday. I remember being at Villa Park watching Scotland v Switzerland at Euro 96 while England were hammering the Netherlands 4-1 at Wembley. IIRC that result almost helped us qualify from the group. England were terrrific in that game.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I think The Netherlands qualified by virtue of scoring 3 goals in the group to Scotland's 1, it was great game to be at in Brum though.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    One of my first football memories was the 1991 FA Cup Final between Venables spurs team and Brian Clough's Forest.

I remember his England team in the mid 90s of course and his later career as a pundit on ITV.

A character and a charismatic man.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One of my first football memories was the 1991 FA Cup Final between Venables spurs team and Brian Clough's Forest.

I remember his England team in the mid 90s of course and his later career as a pundit on ITV.

A character and a charismatic man.
    Yes he certainly led a full fruitful life ,by all accounts.
    Had a few strings to his bow,did Terry.
    Great footballer and a manager of top clubs including Barca of course.
    Represented England at all levels from Schoolboy to full international.
    Terry could have been a pro singer and he co wrote the well known TV Series. Hazell along with other tv scripts,
    Terry also wrote novels. A clever man was Terry Venables. Had his finger in many business pies .
    Some say had he stuck to concentrated on one,football or writing ,he may have become a greater success.

As Frank might have said "

He did it all !!
    RIP Terry Venables

RIP El Tel

I thought he was an excellent manager, RIP Tel

@hibs.net private member
    A very likeable guy and colourful character with no little talent - RIP El Tel!

@hibs.net private member s2hart's Avatar
    The documentary Terry Venebles - A man can dream, is worth a watch to get an insight of his life, great character, not sure what platform it's available on.

RIP Tel!

Always had a lot of admiration for him. As a QPR fan and a fan in general. He did a lot in his life. Rest easy

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Back in the summer of 1989 i had a student job taking the toll money on the Forth Road Bridge. It was a Saturday and Spurs were due to play Rangers in a pre-season friendly. Much to my surprise their team coach pulled up to my booth heading north at about midday. "I thought you lot were pkaying Rangers" i said to the driver. "We are" he replied. "Then why are you heading to Dunfermline?"....at this point Terry Venables stood up and chipped in and realised they were miles from where they should be. First there was a lot of good natured swearing, then he invited me to drive the bus and finally he got the whole team bus to sing "the coach drivers an Arsenal fan - do dah, do dah the coach drivers an arsenal fan do dah, do dah day" they were all still singing it as the coach got turned round and sent back the other way. Top bloke.
    Last edited by worcesterhibby; 27-11-2023 at 10:53 AM. Reason: checked date !

Steve Archibald spoke well about Venables on the radio this morning, reminding me how fortunate we were to have him come direct from Barcelona to ER in 1988. You just cannot conceive of that kind of situation happening today.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Back in the summer of 1987 i had a student job taking the toll money on the Forth Road Bridge. It was a Saturday and Spurs were due to play Rangers in a pre-season friendly. Much to my surprise their team coach pulled up to my booth heading north at about midday. "I thought you lot were pkaying Rangers" i said to the driver. "We are" he replied. "Then why are you heading to Dunfermline?"....at this point Terry Venables stood up and chipped in and realised they were miles from where they should be. First there was a lot of good natured swearing, then he invited me to drive the bus and finally he got the whole team bus to sing "the coach drivers an Arsenal fan - do dah, do dah the coach drivers an arsenal fan do dah, do dah day" they were all still singing it as the coach got turned round and sent back the other way. Top bloke.
    Brilliant story

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    One of the good guys

A character always with a smile

Deepest sincerest condolences to family and friends

RIP

Blog Entries
    RIP. Terry. Good guy. I remember whenever he was having managerial difficulties, I used to quip “Terry Venables’ job is not very tenable”.

First Team Breakthrough The Veteran's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67537553Very good manager in his heyday. I remember being at Villa Park watching Scotland v Switzerland at Euro 96 while England were hammering the Netherlands 4-1 at Wembley. IIRC that result almost helped us qualify from the group. England were terrrific in that game.
    So sorry to hear of Terrys passing.He was a superb manager and had that 'cheeky chappy' type of charisma.RIP Mr Venables

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Steve Archibald spoke well about Venables on the radio this morning, reminding me how fortunate we were to have him come direct from Barcelona to ER in 1988. You just cannot conceive of that kind of situation happening today.
    I'm sure we beat Liverpool to his signature IIRC, Crazy times! ☺️

Always found Venables very likeable.