hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough zero-seven's Avatar

Penalty to Sevco shock

Getting totally farcical now, should be odds on each game.

WTF is going on here, some lodge conspiracy? They haven’t conceded any yet, it is hilarious their refs think we can’t see through the funny handshake for the sons of William? Joke football integrity

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Its the same pen today that St Mirren got v us. It is a penalty. The problem is there are countless other pens getting ignored on a weekly basis. Both us and Hearts yesterday for eg.

@hibs.net private member aljo7-0's Avatar
    I saw a chart for penalties awarded in league games this season. Including this weekend it is now Celtic 7, Rangers 5, Hibs 1 and Hearts 0
    I was amazed that Hearts had not had any and surprised Celtic had had more than Rangers but not surprised at the city totals.
    That's 12 to Glasgow and 1 to Edinburgh.
    Thank f there is no West Coast bias.

He pulled his shirt. It’s the type of decision that Rangers will always get. There is loads to say about the state of refereeing in this country but how stupid do you need to be to be pulling a hun’s shirt in the box?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by aljo7-0 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw a chart for penalties awarded in league games this season. Including this weekend it is now Celtic 7, Rangers 5, Hibs 1 and Hearts 0
    I was amazed that Hearts had not had any and surprised Celtic had had more than Rangers but not surprised at the city totals.
    Im assuming that the var ref responded to goldson rolling around in the box to initiate a review and pulled it up unlike like countless other players in unchecked incidents across the league . viewing it looked it like a run of the mill defensive tussle and poor front post corner to me. it's the fact that this specific set piece was then reviewed seems to ignore the block on the defender and tell the ref you've missed something here that's main issue, If it's a clear and obvious error for one team its a clear and obvious error for all

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar

There is an argument that the glasgow teams inevitably do spend more time in the opposition box than anyone else so i'd be very surprised if they didn't get more pens than other teams statistically.

However it should not be by that much and the pens denied to both edinburgh teams yesterday (and on other occasions) shows there is something badly amiss

Selfishly I’m not going to worry too much about Aberdeen not winning today.

It was similar to the pen St Mirren got against us. If it’s going to be penalised then consistency is key. There will be dozens of pens every week

@hibs.net private member
    There was a meme saying The Rangers are the only team that has not conceded a league penalty in any country since VAR came in. No idea if it is true but it wouldn't surprise me. Also the "remarkable" run they are on just now in not conceding penalties isn't that remarkable as they have done similar before.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jakedance View Post
    He pulled his shirt. It’s the type of decision that Rangers will always get. There is loads to say about the state of refereeing in this country but how stupid do you need to be to be pulling a hun’s shirt in the box?
    Yes but it took the VAR referee, Rangers supporting Andrew Dallas, to flag it up. Not convinced he would have flagged it up for any other club. We need to start mikeing up officials and hearing their deliberations

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Yes but it took the VAR referee, Rangers supporting Andrew Dallas, to flag it up. Not convinced he would have flagged it up for any other club. We need to start mikeing up officials and hearing their deliberations
    We absolutely do. This must happen or take the whole thing away. It’s a cheats charter otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    I agree with you 100%. My point is players should be smart enough not to pull a Rangers player’s shirt in the box because we all know what happens when they do.

Blog Entries
    Referees have, for the most part, made shirt pulling at corners, a ‘blind eye’ situation. Fine, if it’s a level playing field. However, if it suits the referee’s H*n agenda, it will be pounced on.

Without denying the odds are stacked in the big two's favour, they do more often than not create significantly more goalscoring chances per game than the rest so that will account for at least some of the 'extra' penalties they're perceived to earn.

How many of the penalties they've been awarded have been in any way dubious?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Referees have, for the most part, made shirt pulling at corners, a ‘blind eye’ situation. Fine, if it’s a level playing field. However, if it suits the referee’s H*n agenda, it will be pounced on.
    Someone had a picture of a Dundee player clearly pulling Hanlons shirt at ER earlier in the season guess what nothing happened.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Without denying the odds are stacked in the big two's favour, they do more often than not create significantly more goalscoring chances per game than the rest so that will account for at least some of the 'extra' penalties they're perceived to earn.

How many of the penalties they've been awarded have been in any way dubious?
    Some are dubious, many aren't. I don't think many people are arguing that all pens they get are illegitimate. The argument is that they get every penalty that it's possible to give them, while every other team clearly doesn't

James Tavernier has now scored 12 penalties…

…against Aberdeen.
    Just Aberdeen. 😀

Henrik Larsson scored 14 penalties in Scottish football.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    When was the last time The The's conceded a penalty kick in the league?

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

I believe it's 8 penalties in league games to Celtic this season and 7 to Rangers.
    They do tend to have a high percentage of the attacking play in a game so it makes sense.
    Hibs centre forward Vente has only had circa 10 shots in 13 league games this season. That tells you how few chances we are making so we are naturally not getting many penalties either.
    Last edited by PHeffernan; 26-11-2023 at 08:31 PM.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Haven't conceded a pen in 67 league games I think. A bigger stat is 1 in 113 league games.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Haven't conceded a pen in 67 league games I think. A bigger stat is 1 in 113 league games.
    Ripping the pish out of the game.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Not sure but John Greig committed the foul

Rangers have had a penalty in 5 of their last 6 games, the only game they weren't awarded a penalty was in Europe.

Tavernier has scored 13 goals against Aberdeen, 11 of them penalties. Aberdeen haven't had a penalty at Ibrox since 1996.

The issue isn't the penalty they got today (although I'm sceptical anyone else, perhaps Celtic excepted, gets that). The issue is the pattern, every single penalty it's possible for them to get, they get it. There is shirt pulling and niggling at every set piece in the game, if you want to find an incident to award a penalty then you'll find it. VAR has made a bad situation in Scotland even worse.
    Last edited by Pretty Boy; 26-11-2023 at 09:12 PM.

Did Hearts not get awarded the most penalties of any side in the league last season?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    How can anyone honestly read that and not think it's corrupt? They will now be on 68 I think. I read Barca have the record for the longest (74 games). But that was during the time they are being investigated for paying refs...

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I'm convinced it's corruption and not incompetence. Incompetence world see a spread of these decisions.

I think you could as easily argue that it's not a penalty as argue it is, there's some debate about whether the ball is in play when the pull occurred. What's undeniable though, is Goldson dived as well.

But even if you accept without argument that the penalty is the correct decision, the issue is that Rangers ALWAYS get them.

Both Hibs and Hearts had clear penalties at the weekend, neither were reviewed. Had they been at Ibrox for the home team, we all know what would have happened. The stats back it up.

I can't believe I'm going to give him credit here, but Naismith said after the semi final that when they got their penalty after VAR intervened and the referee rescinded the red card given to the Hearts player for diving, that the referee's instinct was to favour Rangers.

He could as easily have awarded the penalty and let VAR sort it if it was a dive but never in a million years is a ref taking that option in Scotland against Rangers.

We've had a number of penalty claims all as legitimate as Goldson's over the last few games, and we got nothing.

And when VAR does intervene for penalties, it's to give them against us. Joe Newell conceded one St Mirren at the start of the season - very similar contact to the foul on Miller on Saturday. VAR intervened, St Mirren got the penalty.
    Again, St Mirren got a VAR call much like Rangers' when we played them recently, when despite several other infringements at the corner, they pick out a shirt pull and give the penalty.

Have we not had any players with their shirts held at corners this season?

It's a ****ing nonsense. I'll not believe that it's not cheating, all the evidence points to it.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

⚽️- Rangers are currently on a British record run of 67 games without conceding a penalty

⚽️- the world top flight record is 74 held by Barcelona in the 2011/12 - 2012/13 seasons (which is currently under investigation by Spanish FA)

⚽️-**Barca averaged 80% possession during that time (Rangers averaged 58% during their run)

⚽️ - before the current 67 game run, Rangers went 44 league games without conceding a penalty

⚽️ - so they have only conceded 1 penalty in their last 112 league games

⚽️- Since August 2020 they have the highest penalty differential in Europe’s top 20 leagues, ie pens for minus pens against.

⚽️ - Since the 20/21 season they have conceded a penalty on average every 42 league games (Celtic every 9 games)

⚽️- from 2018/19 season they have a penalty differential of +43 ( Celtic are +15 for the same period)

⚽️ - since 2018/19 Rangers have been awarded 52 penalties and conceded 9 (Celtic have had**39 and conceded 24)

⚽️ - Since last season (when VAR arrived in Scotland) Rangers have had 16 penalties in the league with 0 against (Celtic have had 12 with 7 against)

⚽️ - They are only team in a league with VAR that has never conceded a penalty since the technology was brought in anywhere in the world

⚽️ - If Rangers don’t concede a league penalty before the end of this year (8 games) then they will have set a new world record

⚽️ -**James Tavernier is now in the top 10 for the most penalties scored of all time

⚽️ - out of everyone on the list the Rangers captain has the highest percentage of goals from penalties

Top 10 penalty takers and % of goals that are penalties (via TransferMrkt)

C. Ronaldo 157 (18%)

Messi 109 (14%)

Totti 86 (27%)

Ibrahimovic 85 (15%)

Del Piero 77 (22%)

Shearer 72 (18%)

Ronaldinho 70 (30%)

Cavani**61 (14%)

Lampard 60 (20%)

Tavernier 58 (48%)

If a ref gets it wrong (or perceived to be wrong) against Rangers then they get pelters in the press. Remember our 2-2 game from last year? Rocky pulled down in the box, no pen and press didn't care because it was perceived as 50:50. *** goes down after the slightest touch from Rocky (not even a shirt pull) and pen, press don't care because there was contact.
    In the second half Rangers get two players sent off and that makes the papers, particularly the Lundstram one. It was a nasty tackle but the story of the week was it should have been a yellow, refs integrity questioned on tv, papers question competence.....a decision against Rangers can have career implications. If that happens to any other team then its forgotten before the Saturday has even passed.
    Refs and officials know that, there is a fear about not giving Rangers decisions......effectively fear means that the rest of us are held to a higher standard and yes, VAR has amplified the problem......if those 11 Rangers players were playing in any other strip then Aberdeen win 1-0.
    Rangers might not be paying the refs wages but they do have the power to negatively effect their careers. I don't think its corruption or incompetence, but it is a serious problem for the game in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Someone had a picture of a Dundee player clearly pulling Hanlons shirt at ER earlier in the season guess what nothing happened.
    It was me.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr What If? View Post
    If a ref gets it wrong (or perceived to be wrong) against Rangers then they get pelters in the press. Remember our 2-2 game from last year? Rocky pulled down in the box, no pen and press didn't care because it was perceived as 50:50. *** goes down after the slightest touch from Rocky (not even a shirt pull) and pen, press don't care because there was contact.
    In the second half Rangers get two players sent off and that makes the papers, particularly the Lundstram one. It was a nasty tackle but the story of the week was it should have been a yellow, refs integrity questioned on tv, papers question competence.....a decision against Rangers can have career implications. If that happens to any other team then its forgotten before the Saturday has even passed.
    Refs and officials know that, there is a fear about not giving Rangers decisions......effectively fear means that the rest of us are held to a higher standard and yes, VAR has amplified the problem......if those 11 Rangers players were playing in any other strip then Aberdeen win 1-0.
    Rangers might not be paying the refs wages but they do have the power to negatively effect their careers. I don't think its corruption or incompetence, but it is a serious problem for the game in Scotland.
    That is corruption, it might not be money in a brown envelope that is the post off, but where you've got a referee making easy decisions instead of correct ones by choice, then it's corrupt.

You're absolutely spot on with your post, though - that's a huge factor in why they referee them the way that they do.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net