hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why anyone would want Josh, who’s scored 2 and had a hand in todays goal in the last 3 games, at right back !!!! That’s back into LJ selection territory- utter madness !
    I'm not advocating for it I am adding it to the list of what could happen. Imo there is only one good option and that is putting Whittaker in. Stevenson, Fish and Campbell all fall into the same bracket for me in that they have played there but none have done so successfully. Delferrière would be another option but he seems out of favour and hasn't played too well when given the chance.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Sure he wasn’t brought on to avoid injury but also to try the other formation and see if it was a goer.
    What other formation? We stuck to the back 4 when Miller went off with Fish going out to right back.

Don’t think he will do that next week, be surprised if it isn’t Whittaker

Dont know what all the bleating is about, the young guy Whittaker will be at right back and he will do well, no problem, faith in Monty.
    I for one is gonna enjoy his teams while I can.

There is a couple of calls to be made for Monty, RB being one of them

Pre match I thought Jeggo would be a miss in the semi vs Aberdeen but that wasn't the case, I'm not sure if he will be brought into this one.

Campbell or Youan? I don't think we will see Doidge and Vente.

Marshall

Whittaker
    Fish
    Rocky
    Obita

Boyle
    Levitt
    Newell
    Jair

Youan
    Vente

Would be my team.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I'm not advocating for it I am adding it to the list of what could happen. Imo there is only one good option and that is putting Whittaker in. Stevenson, Fish and Campbell all fall into the same bracket for me in that they have played there but none have done so successfully. Delferrière would be another option but he seems out of favour and hasn't played too well when given the chance.
    I agree. I thought Whittaker did just fine against St Mirren. Delferriere hasn't been great when played there in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibees View Post
    What other formation? We stuck to the back 4 when Miller went off with Fish going out to right back.

Don’t think he will do that next week, be surprised if it isn’t Whittaker
    That’s what I meant. Fish at right back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    There is a couple of calls to be made for Monty, RB being one of them

Pre match I thought Jeggo would be a miss in the semi vs Aberdeen but that wasn't the case, I'm not sure if he will be brought into this one.

Campbell or Youan? I don't think we will see Doidge and Vente.

Marshall

Whittaker
    Fish
    Rocky
    Obita

Boyle
    Levitt
    Newell
    Jair

Youan
    Vente

Would be my team.
    If he’s fit I think he will continue with Campbell off the right. There might be a case for bringing Youan in for Boyle alongside Vente.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Just play Whittaker. He didn’t look out of place away to the team in 3rd. I’d be disappointed, and a bit surprised, if Montgomery didn’t use it as an opportunity to give game time to a talented youngster and shoehorned someone out of position instead.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Just play Whittaker. He didn’t look out of place away to the team in 3rd. I’d be disappointed, and a bit surprised, if Montgomery didn’t use it as an opportunity to give game time to a talented youngster and shoehorned someone out of position instead.
    Thought Whittaker started well but then struggled when they started targeting him. Fully expect him to start next weekend though.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Thought Whittaker started well but then struggled when they started targeting him. Fully expect him to start next weekend though.
    That's my thoughts as well.

@hibs.net private member
    Campbell and Whittaker down the right side…..no thanks. If he plays the young lad there he’ll need to play Boyle further up on that side. No offence to the young lad but that would be a very weak right flank.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    Campbell and Whittaker down the right side…..no thanks. If he plays the young lad there he’ll need to play Boyle further up on that side. No offence to the young lad but that would be a very weak right flank.
    He’ll have more help from Campbell than he would from anyone else. Not normally a fan of Campbell but he’s done a good job from the right the last couple of games.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    He’ll have more help from Campbell than he would from anyone else. Not normally a fan of Campbell but he’s done a good job from the right the last couple of games.
    Absolutely how this panned out. Well done the laddo and well done Josh (then Jimmy) for doubling up when needed.

Big ask at 16 but my goodness he's done well. Molotnikov also very assured when he came on

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Stevenson old enough to be Whittaker's dad. Blows my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by LewysGot2 View Post
    Absolutely how this panned out. Well done the laddo and well done Josh (then Jimmy) for doubling up when needed.

Big ask at 16 but my goodness he's done well. Molotnikov also very assured when he came on
    boy did great today. 16!!!! Wow. Was out on his feet last 15 mins and you can’t blame him for that. Monty prob should’ve subbed him, but there was no obvious replacement.

Left by mutual consent!
    Whittaker looks a fantastic player already. Very versatile as well. We've got a good one.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Well done on Whittakers first start for Hibs. Great experience for him. He looks to have grown a bit as well over last few months.

Think he struggled a bit at times today tbh, he will learn from it though.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Well done on Whittakers first start for Hibs. Great experience for him. He looks to have grown a bit as well over last few months.

Struggled at the end cause he was noticeably shattered, but on the whole really impressed with him. Have to admit I was bricking it with him starting but I won't be as worried next time he starts. 16 years old. Wow.

Very good performance from Whittaker , looked knackered towards the end though . We have got a very good young
    player here who's only going to get better.

He started against St mirren as well did he not?

Agree that he struggled a bit today, but I think Aberdeen targeted him, knowing he's only 16.

The experience will probably do him good.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post

Agree that he struggled a bit today, but I think Aberdeen targeted him, knowing he's only 16.

You are right.he did. I heard Monty congratulate him on radio today re his first start but must have been first home start!

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post

He did play against St Mirren and I thought he did okay that night. He was fine today but started to struggle a wee bit when Duk came on.

Plenty effort from the laddie and wasn't a bad performance at all , just feel he isn't actually a right back , positionally he leaves massive gaps. Reminds me of when we played David wetherspoon at right back , good on the ball and can go forward but just not tactically aware at right back

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21sMay View Post
    Plenty effort from the laddie and wasn't a bad performance at all , just feel he isn't actually a right back , positionally he leaves massive gaps. Reminds me of when we played David wetherspoon at right back , good on the ball and can go forward but just not tactically aware at right back
    He’s 16, his education on “tactical awareness” isn’t close to being complete.

Not his first start? He started against St Mirren

He doesn’t lack composure on the ball and wants it all the time. I thought he struggled defensively getting caught quite a few times but that’s not particularly surprising for a 16 year old full back.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by 21sMay View Post
    He’s very tactically aware and is definitely a full back / wing back. Very assured first half but noticeable that he tired badly last 25 minutes and that’s inevitable with the huge step up in class that he’s used to playing. What a terrific attitude though, even when out on his feet he was bursting a gut into the latter stages to defend and close down. Big Will Fish and Marshall were superb at guiding through the difficult latter stages of the game too. 16 years old, I thought he did very well as did the whole back line - they put their bodies on the line time and time again last 30 minutes.

Also thought Newell and Levitt worked really well but we need a real physical player in the central area if and when they tire.

Big Fish was excellent today throughout, my MotM.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Young Whittaker did well today after a shaky start almost John Brownliesque in fact

Showed no fear and was a mature street wise performance for his young years

Would have no reservations in NM pitching him in anytime soon

His future’s bright his future’s green and white

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    He's 16, he's a very good player already at that age. Christ i was still eating worms at that age.

When he was being outpaced he resisted the temptation to stick his foot in which showed a lot of maturity. Not sure if he actually gave away a foul.