hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He wasn’t included because he was no longer in the first team plans.

Nothing wrong with focusing training on the players that are going to play.

I’m glad he’s back involved but I don’t see anything unusual or worrying about players dropping right out of the plans of a manager.

There is a problem with signing young players with the intention of developing them into better players then choosing to make an absolute mess of their development.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble de Thump View Post
    There is a problem with signing young players with the intention of developing them into better players then choosing to make an absolute mess of their development.
    Don’t think we will be the only club to have signed a player that it didn’t work out for. So far he’s got back in which is brilliant but we will sign players again from home and abroad that don’t work. Tait, Mackay, similar story.

Think the coaching staff also said about him that he really should have had the opportunity to learn from McGeady but that didn’t work. We have a development team. He played for them when he was out of the first team plans. He’s now back in the first team.

Don’t think we will be the only club to have signed a player that it didn’t work out for. So far he’s got back in which is brilliant but we will sign players again from home and abroad that don’t work. Tait, Mackay, similar story.

Think the coaching staff also said about him that he really should have had the opportunity to learn from McGeady but that didn’t work. We have a development team. He played for them when he was out of the first team plans. He’s now back in the first team.
    Not many teams will pay for a player then actively sabotage the player's development. It's worked out for him now because the coach who did that has gone.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    He wasn’t included because he was no longer in the first team plans.

Nothing wrong with focusing training on the players that are going to play.

I’m glad he’s back involved but I don’t see anything unusual or worrying about players dropping right out of the plans of a manager.
    He didn’t just drop out of the managers plans though. He seemed to be banished to the b-team/youth teams in a way that players making the same non contribution, like McKirdy, weren’t.

It doesn’t reflect well on Johnson, despite being happy to take the credit for it being a coup to sign Tavares in the first place, that Montgomery has managed to rehabilitate Tavares to the point he is in the team on merit in only 10 weeks or so than Johnson could get out of him in his whole time here.

Same with the youngsters. Johnson made a big deal about looking to bring them through, clearing the squad in January to do so etc. Then gave O’Connor & Macintyre something like 13 minutes in total before they too disappeared from the squads, never to be seen again. While Montgomery has already given Whittaker more minutes in his first few weeks than Johnson gave all of our youngsters in his whole time here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble de Thump View Post
    Not many teams will pay for a player then actively sabotage the player's development. It's worked out for him now because the coach who did that has gone.
    Over dramatic nonsense.

He fell out the plans and into the development team. It happens. We also played a different way that suited different players.

By the way, 99.9% of fans were in the get rid category. Nice that he’s back in but let’s not be daft about it.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

Personally I think he was treated really poorly. There’s a middle ground between what you’re saying and the general views that Johnson was a **** man manager and treated Jair appallingly.

I don’t think it was a case of “just not working out”, I think it was Johnson putting too much pressure and hyping him too much, then trying to lay the blame at his door by bombing him out the squad.

The fact that they couldn’t unlock what Montgomery has in such a short space of time is telling as well.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Personally I think he was treated really poorly. There’s a middle ground between what you’re saying and the general views that Johnson was a **** man manager and treated Jair appallingly.

I don’t think it was a case of “just not working out”, I think it was Johnson putting too much pressure and hyping him too much, then trying to lay the blame at his door by bombing him out the squad.

The fact that they couldn’t unlock what Montgomery has in such a short space of time is telling as well.
    For context though we are also at a point where we have Youan struggling for form and Campbell playing up front. Boyle, Vente, Newell also not totally firing. Great for Jair to be back in amongst it. Remains to be seen if overall the management of players and opportunities we are giving now are going to have us in a better place. Coaching teams all need to make decisions based on how they want the team to play.

Over dramatic nonsense.

He fell out the plans and into the development team. It happens. We also played a different way that suited different players.

By the way, 99.9% of fans were in the get rid category. Nice that he’s back in but let’s not be daft about it.
    speak for yourself - I disagree that 99.9% of fans wanted rid - some of us could see that the lad had potential and didn't come on social media to slate him or criticise his every touch at the game. it would now appear that he didn't fall out of the plans and into the development team, it seems more like he was unfairly treated by an experienced manager who should have known better.

there is a bigger issue here for me too - its nice that folk come on and own up that they wrote him off too soon, but will they learn from that and think first before over the top criticising of the next scapegoat? its clear that players are aware of what fans are saying about them - it would be nice if we could all be a bit more adult and more balanced in our views of players, particularly those that we know might find it hard to adapt due to age / language etc.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    ❤️ scores.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Some boy.

Excellent. Pleased for him and long may it continue!

Going on form he is one of the first names on the team sheet.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    Going on form he is one of the first names on the team sheet.
    Absolutely. Potentially even the very first.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Well done Jair

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Outstanding. 👏🏻
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Ian Gordon is a genuis.

Bring back Bojang! God knows what he can do under Monty with some confidence.

@hibs.net private member
    Maybe we should give Bojang another shot?? Kidding

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    He didn’t just drop out of the managers plans though. He seemed to be banished to the b-team/youth teams in a way that players making the same non contribution, like McKirdy, weren’t.

It doesn’t reflect well on Johnson, despite being happy to take the credit for it being a coup to sign Tavares in the first place, that Montgomery has managed to rehabilitate Tavares to the point he is in the team on merit in only 10 weeks or so than Johnson could get out of him in his whole time here.

Same with the youngsters. Johnson made a big deal about looking to bring them through, clearing the squad in January to do so etc. Then gave O’Connor & Macintyre something like 13 minutes in total before they too disappeared from the squads, never to be seen again. While Montgomery has already given Whittaker more minutes in his first few weeks than Johnson gave all of our youngsters in his whole time here.

There were quite a few rumours about LJ and his treatment of certain players signed last season. Ranging from being cold to flat out bullying.

Not saying he was treated as bad as the rumours say, but there were more than enough to suggest something wasn't right. The one I kept hearing was how a few senior pros were not happy in the slightest at his treatment of Jair and Mckirdy in specific. Few others supposedly two but that's the names that kept popping up. Heard about it late December for the first time and seemed to get told about it from someone new every few weeks from then on.

I'm not saying they're all true, but to just dismiss it as someone not in his plans when there definitely seems like there could be a little more to the story.

He was outstanding today, and has been getting better and better every week. 1v1 he's outstanding and has a decent end product too.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Really? We were a baw hair off 3rd last season and can barely win a game under Montgomery. Worlds apart? We'll be bottom six under this joker.
    This will age well come the end of the season. 2 wins on the bounce now.

You ok?

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Faded a little by the end, but what a shift he put in and what a goal.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

All credit to Monty and Jair for the resurgence. Mentality is absolutely spot on now and he's now imposing himself on games and will only improve.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    There were quite a few rumours about LJ and his treatment of certain players signed last season. Ranging from being cold to flat out bullying.

Not saying he was treated as bad as the rumours say, but there were more than enough to suggest something wasn't right. The one I kept hearing was how a few senior pros were not happy in the slightest at his treatment of Jair and Mckirdy in specific. Few others supposedly two but that's the names that kept popping up. Heard about it late December for the first time and seemed to get told about it from someone new every few weeks from then on.

I'm not saying they're all true, but to just dismiss it as someone not in his plans when there definitely seems like there could be a little more to the story.

He was outstanding today, and has been getting better and better every week. 1v1 he's outstanding and has a decent end product too.
    I had acutely forgotten all about Mckirdy. Any talk on when he’s due back? Will be good to see what he has to offer under the new manager.

A few red faces now with the way this boy is turning out, he looks like he can play a bit.

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    I had acutely forgotten all about Mckirdy. Any talk on when he’s due back? Will be good to see what he has to offer under the new manager.

Think Monty said they're aiming for after the new year but not rushing him, he's back in training now. Don't know if he's back in full training or just part of sessions but good to see him back on the training pitch.

Jair and Rocky should be examples that sometimes players can take longer than expected to settle. Harry reminds me of Rocky in the sense that he's not played as many games as someone his age usually would, so he's probably closer to 20/21 in football terms.

Delighted for those two, would be brilliant to get the hat trick and see Harry turn it around as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Keepthefaith View Post
    speak for yourself - I disagree that 99.9% of fans wanted rid - some of us could see that the lad had potential and didn't come on social media to slate him or criticise his every touch at the game. it would now appear that he didn't fall out of the plans and into the development team, it seems more like he was unfairly treated by an experienced manager who should have known better.

there is a bigger issue here for me too - its nice that folk come on and own up that they wrote him off too soon, but will they learn from that and think first before over the top criticising of the next scapegoat? its clear that players are aware of what fans are saying about them - it would be nice if we could all be a bit more adult and more balanced in our views of players, particularly those that we know might find it hard to adapt due to age / language etc.
    This totally, particularly the 2nd paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by Keepthefaith View Post

Epic post.

Could not be happier for the boy. We'll be worrying about keeping him come the end of the season.

Another confident performance with an outstanding goal which I look forward to seeing again and again.

Thought he worked hard also off the ball and always looked a threat.

Goal aside, some of his touches and play today were superb.

Unbelievable turnaround.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    His reaction at the full time whistle was brilliant. Looks like a laddie who is loving his football.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction