hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dylan Vente

Dylan Vente

What's everyone's thoughts so far ? 8 games without a goal, important he starts hitting the back of the net soon, ideally Saturday, the money we've spent on him we should be expecting a lot more in way of a goal return, he puts in the work no doubt about it, but need more goals.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Needs to play as a striker

Started very well but as mentioned has tailed off.

To be honest I have been slightly disappointed overall, but I'm sure with the correct team he'll come good.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Vente’s has played circa 1,100 minutes for Hibs and has scored 5 non-penalty goals plus 2 assists. His record compares favourably with how recent top forwards performed when first signing.

- In Miovski’s first 1,100 minutes for Aberdeen he scored 5 non-penalty goals plus 1 assist.
    - In van Veen’s first 1,100 minutes for Well he scored 4 non-penalty goals plus 3 assists.
    - In Shankland’s first 1,100 minutes for Hesrts he scored 3 non-penalty goals plus 2 assists.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Started very well but as mentioned has tailed off.

To be honest I have been slightly disappointed overall, but I'm sure with the correct team he'll come good.
    He's a right team player, but I actually wish he was a bit more selfish, I'm looking for him to cheat a wee bit more and get between the sticks, he's our main forward, in a 4-4-2 with 2 wingers he should be getting a hatful, but it's like he doesn't get that many chances to score. I'm going to back him Saturday, he's due one.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Vente’s has played circa 1,100 minutes for Hibs and has scored 5 non-penalty goals plus 2 assists. His record compares favourably with how recent top forwards performed when first signing.

- In Miovski’s first 1,100 minutes for Aberdeen he scored 5 non-penalty goals plus 1 assist.
    - In van Veen’s first 1,100 minutes for Well he scored 4 non-penalty goals plus 3 assists.
    - In Shankland’s first 1,100 minutes for Hesrts he scored 3 non-penalty goals plus 2 assists.
    I think the original point was that although he started well he's now not scored in 8 games

That isn't particularly great for a main striker who we had big expectations of.

He's definitely got the quality to start scoring again and I am confident he wil, but it would be wrong to not highlight it has not been a great run for him.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 23-11-2023 at 02:34 PM.

A lot being put down to how he is being used tactically but I’m not sure that has been the biggest issue. He scored in Monty’s first 3 games and there wasn’t any talk of that point of him not being used right. On the flip side, everything was about how clinical he was scoring 5 goals with 5 shots. Having scored in those games, I don’t think the manager has decided that he should then start playing deeper or anything like that. He definitely needs to be in the box more but I think that’s down to him as much as anything, there’s been some instances where I’ve felt like he needed to show a bit more desire to get in there.

I read something last week and the manager was saying that he was basically running on empty by the time the break came because he’d played a bit more than we’d have liked him to due to lack of options. I think the break will have done him good and he’ll start scoring again now.

Great player, who will make us a lot of money when we sell him on, give him the service in and around the box, he will score goals, no problem. Sure Monty also said he had no pre-season.

I think he's a class act. Getting the balance right and the support around him and he'll bang in 15-20 next season after a full pre season

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    I think he's a class act. Getting the balance right and the support around him and he'll bang in 15-20 next season after a full pre season
    I still fancy him to get around 15 this year as well.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JammyDoidger View Post
    What's everyone's thoughts so far ? 8 games without a goal, important he starts hitting the back of the net soon, ideally Saturday, the money we've spent on him we should be expecting a lot more in way of a goal return, he puts in the work no doubt about it, but need more goals.
    I think he is a cracking player. He's get plenty in a team that created chances

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    I think he is a cracking player. He's get plenty in a team that created chances
    We do create chances. Joint top scorers in the league behind Rangers and Celtic.

I’ve said numerous times, including when he was scoring, that we need to create more chances for him.

We can’t have a striker of his quality having 0 chances a game.

I think losing ALF has effected him a bit as he has the vision and creativeness.

Boyle and Youan are very good at what they do, but they’re not the type to pick him out with a clever touch or pass.

Hopefully we start playing in the oppositions half a bit more and when January comes sign some players that can find him.

I’m sure in his highlights video at his old club there was a ‘number 10’ type who provided some brilliant assists and found him constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I’ve said numerous times, including when he was scoring, that we need to create more chances for him.

We can’t have a striker of his quality having 0 chances a game.

I think losing ALF has effected him a bit as he has the vision and creativeness.

Boyle and Youan are very good at what they do, but they’re not the type to pick him out with a clever touch or pass.

Hopefully we start playing in the oppositions half a bit more and when January comes sign some players that can find him.

I’m sure in his highlights video at his old club there was a ‘number 10’ type who provided some brilliant assists and found him constantly.
    Wonder if playing Levitt in the 10 would help him, means he could play on the shoulder a bit more than he's doing just now. Wouldn't mind seeing that Saturday, newell and Jeggo with Levitt in the 10 behind Vente.

Wonder if playing Levitt in the 10 would help him, means he could play on the shoulder a bit more than he's doing just now. Wouldn't mind seeing that Saturday, newell and Jeggo with Levitt in the 10 behind Vente.
    Levitt isn't a 10. and we don't play with a 10.

Vente has been excellent and his work rate and movement has been top class. Just needs to be given more chances and he will score plenty - but he is bringing more than most to the team right now.

It would be pretty harsh imo to drop Campbell for his contribution over the last two games though.

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    It would be pretty harsh imo to drop Campbell for his contribution over the last two games though.
    I know, it's a tricky one, just feel we still haven't got the balance right. Desperate to see us get the best out of our forward players but don't think we have done so far, i include Boyle and Youan in that too. So much more to come from the 3 of them.

@hibs.net private member RMQ1967's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Levitt isn't a 10. and we don't play with a 10.

Vente has been excellent and his work rate and movement has been top class. Just needs to be given more chances and he will score plenty - but he is bringing more than most to the team right now.
    Absolutely this. Also you can see him getting into excellent positions but the ball isn't being played to him when he's taking up those positions.

Other players are taking on the shots themselves (one of Jairs in particular) which they're probably entitled to do but if they pick him out I'm certain the ball is going in the net.

One of the most clinical strikers I've seen in a long time at Hibs but they need to pick him out.

I know, it's a tricky one, just feel we still haven't got the balance right. Desperate to see us get the best out of our forward players but don't think we have done so far, i include Boyle and Youan in that too. So much more to come from the 3 of them.
    Monty seems quite taken with Boyle up top, on the shoulder of the opposition defence, but it's not really clicked in the games against Aberdeen and Kilmarnock.
    Boyle is probably better driving at defenders from a deeper starting point and Vente is better in the box.
    Vente up top with Campbell in behind, with Boyle, Jair and Youan sharing the load in wide positions might be the way to go. Jair could do the second striker thing too, while we have ALF and Doidge to come back to add experienced support.
    All good players, just not quite got that balance yet, as you say.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by number9dream View Post
    Monty seems quite taken with Boyle up top, on the shoulder of the opposition defence, but it's not really clicked in the games against Aberdeen and Kilmarnock.
    Boyle is probably better driving at defenders from a deeper starting point and Vente is better in the box.
    Vente up top with Campbell in behind, with Boyle, Jair and Youan sharing the load in wide positions might be the way to go. Jair could do the second striker thing too, while we have ALF and Doidge to come back to add experienced support.
    All good players, just not quite got that balance yet, as you say.
    I’d like to see Youan up top with Vente and Boyle and Jair on the wings. Youan is a better striker than Boyle and Boyle is a better winger than Youan.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Like him a lot. Wish he'd be a bit more selfish and stay up top more, but he's obviously working to instructions and puts in an amazing amount of running.

Plenty more goals to come. I don't doubt it for a second.

Other than the header from an Obita cross against Killie which he probably should have put away I don't remember him being given a decent opportunity for weeks. He does a lot of running and others have benefitted when he has taken central defenders out of position.

Most of Vente's goals at us or previous clubs have mainly been scored in the box , he's a poacher and a very clinical one at that though he's been playing deeper at times and out in the right and left side . He's been putting in some shift btw , I'd just like to see him playing further forward and not backtracking as much . In 5 or 6 games since he hasn't scored we have hardly created anything for him too and when you consider we have two excellent wingers in Boyle and Youan it hard to work out why we aren't creating chances tbh ..
    https://youtu.be/kcrNa0ISqJI?si=ZfOfv1H7z_kOZeFl

Most of Vente's goals at us or previous clubs have mainly been scored in the box , he's a poacher and a very clinical one at that though he's been playing deeper at times and out in the right and left side . He's been putting in some shift btw , I'd just like to see him playing further forward and not backtracking as much . In 5 or 6 games since he hasn't scored we have hardly created anything for him too and when you consider we have two excellent wingers in Boyle and Youan it hard on work out why we aren't creating chances tbh ..
    Not sure about that, I don't think he's out of sync with most other strikers in that he scores most of his goals inside the box.

Pretty much every number 9 will score most of their goals inside the 18 yard box.

Most of Vente's goals at us or previous clubs have mainly been scored in the box , he's a poacher and a very clinical one at that though he's been playing deeper at times and out in the right and left side . He's been putting in some shift btw , I'd just like to see him playing further forward and not backtracking as much . In 5 or 6 games since he hasn't scored we have hardly created anything for him too and when you consider we have two excellent wingers in Boyle and Youan it hard to work out why we aren't creating chances tbh ..
    https://youtu.be/kcrNa0ISqJI?si=ZfOfv1H7z_kOZeFl
    He’s not a poacher. Go and watch more of his previous games.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    He's a goalscorer, we've seen it ourselves and his record before signing is superb. Playing deeper and away from the box will hinder him thats for sure, we need to find a system that has him playing where he's at his best.

Really like him, could see him getting 20+.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Not sure about that, I don't think he's out of sync with most other strikers in that he scores most of his goals inside the box.

Pretty much every number 9 will score most of their goals inside the 18 yard box.
    I agree that most number 9s score most of there goals in the box though some would probably have a higher percentage of scoring goals from outside the box than others imo too . Like when Newcastle United had shearer I think about 85% was scored in the box though that still left 15% from outside. I could be wrong though in footage I've watched of Vente I haven't noticed to many scored from outside it at all . Shearer did chip in with a few . Btw I'm not comparing the two . 😂
    https://youtu.be/RmN8oMJ8Y5A?si=dNcvAjGm7Orj0EfW

Something I think is maybe being overlooked with him is that it’s just harder to score goals in our Premiership than it is in the Dutch second division. I know there are some decent clubs in that league, and ours is hardly top level, but at times he’d have been playing against reserve teams and the like.

We need more from him but I still think that it will happen without us drastically changing anything. He just needs to get himself in and around the box a bit more.

https://youtu.be/MToDR18Nr90?feature=shared

Very little poaching going on here. He’s an excellent all round footballer.