hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Edinburgh Xmas

@hibs.net private member

Edinburgh Xmas

Hi fowks

Unsure if this is correct forum so please move if so.

I am looking for info on when they will be switching the Christmas lights on at the mound/george st this year does anyone know?

I can’t find any info on it on the Xmas pages the council are offering, last year I went after reading it was last Sunday in November and it wasn’t on bit of a wasted day, we have a squad of us going through as it’s become a bit of a family tradition but the advertising of it is awful (could also be because I’m not in Edinburgh however) just don’t want to get it wrong this year as it’s a nice day for the kids to kick off the Xmas countdown

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar

Edinburgh Xmas

I’m not certain but I don’t think there is actually an ‘Edinburgh’ one per se. Lots of local switch on’s.

The closest event I think is the Opening Concert on Sat:

https://edinburgh-christmas.com/venu...rghs-christmas

@hibs.net private member
    The switch is flicked on Edinburgh's festive lights on the second last Sunday of November, with the first in a series of Christmas light nights.

It also marks the start (or approach) of the official Edinburgh's Christmas festivities, a package of yuletide events.

Details of the Light Night celebrations have still to be announced by Edinburgh's Christmas 2023 organiser UniqueAssembly.

Norwegian spruce

The Christmas Tree on The Mound, a traditional gift given each year by the people of Hordaland, Norway, to the City of Edinburgh Council, will also be switched on as part of Edinburgh's Night Light.

A special ceremony is attended by the Lord Provost of the City of Edinburgh and Deputy Convener of Hordaland County Council.

Light Night Pyrotechnics

In 2019, under former Edinburgh's Christmas organiser, Underbelly, Light Night was a major event on the Royal Mile.

A special guest was chosen to flick the big switch to turn on the Christmas Lights that adorn the streets of historic Edinburgh. In 2018, The Voice competitor Saskia Eng, who attended the Edinburgh School of Music from age 11, was chosen to turn on the Christmas lights.

In 2019, the evening's entertainment included live music sung by choirs from across Edinburgh such as Little Voices Big Stars (the Edinburgh singing group for children between 4 and 16 year olds), Rock Choir Live, and Royal Lyceum Theatre Edinburgh’s Community Choir.

Two giant screens at key points on the Royal Mile allowed the crowd of around 20,000 people to enjoy the free entertainment, which included a pyrotechnic display and a "flying visit" from Santa appearing on his sleigh on a zipline.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The switch is flicked on Edinburgh's festive lights on the second last Sunday of November, with the first in a series of Christmas light nights.

It also marks the start (or approach) of the official Edinburgh's Christmas festivities, a package of yuletide events.

Details of the Light Night celebrations have still to be announced by Edinburgh's Christmas 2023 organiser UniqueAssembly.

Norwegian spruce

The Christmas Tree on The Mound, a traditional gift given each year by the people of Hordaland, Norway, to the City of Edinburgh Council, will also be switched on as part of Edinburgh's Night Light.

A special ceremony is attended by the Lord Provost of the City of Edinburgh and Deputy Convener of Hordaland County Council.

Light Night Pyrotechnics

In 2019, under former Edinburgh's Christmas organiser, Underbelly, Light Night was a major event on the Royal Mile.

A special guest was chosen to flick the big switch to turn on the Christmas Lights that adorn the streets of historic Edinburgh. In 2018, The Voice competitor Saskia Eng, who attended the Edinburgh School of Music from age 11, was chosen to turn on the Christmas lights.

In 2019, the evening's entertainment included live music sung by choirs from across Edinburgh such as Little Voices Big Stars (the Edinburgh singing group for children between 4 and 16 year olds), Rock Choir Live, and Royal Lyceum Theatre Edinburgh’s Community Choir.

Two giant screens at key points on the Royal Mile allowed the crowd of around 20,000 people to enjoy the free entertainment, which included a pyrotechnic display and a "flying visit" from Santa appearing on his sleigh on a zipline.
    This is the only thing I’ve found as well but nothing to actually confirm it’s happening this Sunday, it used to jump between the mound and George st as well so you would think they’d have confirmed where people where to go or communicated road closures if it is George st for example, I’m
    Feared of making the trip through on the wrong day again that’s all absolutely tanked down last year it was rotten 😂