hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough

The January window

Where do we need to improve the team this coming window. A dominant midfield enforcer would be a priority neither Newell, Levitt or Jeggo have that dig about them. Center back and a target man as Doidge is either injured or not in the managers plans.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Jason Cummings baby.
    Left centre half
    Left back(id rather not play Stevenson)

I'd probably bring back Melkersen, Kenneh and Megwa.

I think a centre half left footed, meaning Harbottle gets shipped out.

Central midfielder, with potentially JDH moving on

Another winger who is direct ideally left footed.

I’d even argue to say another centre forward as doidge is injury prone and Alf out for a period of time with no guarantee he will last the season.

Can see good 3-4 leaving to make way for these signings.

Keeper and another midfielder for me.

Sent from my moto g22 using Tapatalk

I wonder if NM will look to bring any of our loan players back? We will also have Cadden, JDH and McKirdy back as options.

Marco Tulio - CCM striker who is full of skill and scores goals. Knows the system and will drop deep to get on it and create from there.

Left back - seen a couple mention this position, I personally really like Obita. But if it was for completion/cover then it’s got to be Owen Beck at Dundee on loan from Liverpool.

Experienced centre half - Rate both Rocky and fish individually but I think at times we lack the leadership to keep things tight. Preferably left sided.

Also a player in the mould of Barrie Mackay - A technical player they can drift past players with pace, capable of a positive pass in veins that most won’t see. If we get a player like him it then becomes easier to play out as the centre half, Newell or Levitt then finds him in space. Youan and Boyle are more the head down and run, we need someone a bit smarter to go with it.

In no particular order

LCB
    CM
    LB
    LM/LW
    CF

I think Vente needs a permanent partner.

Goalie and centre half.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Forward and a defender with more than two moving on.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Partner for Vente
    Goalkeeper
    Midfielder with drive
    Left footed, athletic centre back

In that order for me. Would like to see Melkerson & Kenneh given a chance.

When is McKirdy back? Would like to see him given a chance in a 2 as well

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Partner for Vente
    Goalkeeper
    Midfielder with drive

January for McKirdy at the earliest I think?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I wonder who’s out the way. A guess would be Doidge, Harbottle & JDH (though NM won’t have had the chance to see much of him).

Perhaps McKirdy will get a loan move to help him back to fitness.

We’re definitely short a left sided defender and a forward, especially with Alfie out for a while.

@hibs.net private member
    A forward to play next to Vente is essential imo. Fair play to Campbell who has come in and scored a couple of goals but I'd love to see us bring in someone with a bit of a physical presence to complement Vente.

A solid DM that can pass is also a must. Jeggo does the defensive stuff well but he put us in danger a couple of times with poor passes.

A goalkeeper might be a tough ask with Marshall and Wollacott but neither have filled me with confidence.

Unlikely in January but a left back, left centre back and another winger would also be great.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    I know this is very unlikely to happen but I’d like us to sign O’Hara from St.Mirren.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

I think it is only worth signing players now if they are going to be starters.

Can’t see us looking for a centre half to start ahead of Rocky or Fish. Unless we move Hanlon on which is very unlikely then he is the back up and Harbottle can’t even get in squads.

Marshall isn’t going to be ditched and we have two other new keepers.

A forward could be a possibility given who we’ve had to play there but depends what’s up with Doidge. We’ve got ALF and McKirdy to come back and I’m sure we will have Melkersen back too.

In midfield we only play with two and again I doubt we’re going to be getting anyone right away to play ahead of Newell, Levitt or Jeggo.

In wide areas we have Boyle, Youan, Tavares and we will probably get Henderson back. McKirdy could play there too.

Cover for the full backs possibly. Again, depends on the left if we’re pushing Stevenson out altogether.

Unless we are really upping the quality I just don’t see us doing too much.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    I know this is very unlikely to happen but I’d like us to sign O’Hara from St.Mirren.
    Must be a chance if we are going to invest in the team. That’s be the #1 for me. Although Jeggo, Levitt and Newell have all done well at times, think we need an all rounder like O’Hara.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Partner for Vente
    Goalkeeper
    Midfielder with drive

Completely forgot about McKirdy. He might be another to blossom under NM. Would be an interesting partnership with Vente and would like to see Boyle wide again.

McKirdy needs to play in a 2 up front and might just get the chance. He never got a proper go under LJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHFC View Post
    I think it is only worth signing players now if they are going to be starters.

Can’t see us looking for a centre half to start ahead of Rocky or Fish. Unless we move Hanlon on which is very unlikely then he is the back up and Harbottle can’t even get in squads.

Marshall isn’t going to be ditched and we have two other new keepers.

A forward could be a possibility given who we’ve had to play there but depends what’s up with Doidge. We’ve got ALF and McKirdy to come back and I’m sure we will have Melkersen back too.

In midfield we only play with two and again I doubt we’re going to be getting anyone right away to play ahead of Newell, Levitt or Jeggo.

In wide areas we have Boyle, Youan, Tavares and we will probably get Henderson back. McKirdy could play there too.

Cover for the full backs possibly. Again, depends on the left if we’re pushing Stevenson out altogether.

Unless we are really upping the quality I just don’t see us doing too much.
    it'll be interesting as you've also not mentioned Monty's intent to give youth their chance. positively this means that anyone coming in has got to be quality - we've also got Mega, Conner and Aitken out on loan, who I believe are all doing well. be interesting to see if he brings mega back and if so what that means for harbottle. my feeling is that he'll go, either loan or permanent to lower league English club.

could do with cover on the wings. think we'll potentially target left back, though Obita generally playing well. could well see a striker come in as you've suggested - but if we can improve melkerson like we have Jair then this may not be needed. he looks like his confidence has soared playing back home. midfield also a tricky one - on their day a combination of Joe and Levitt are great (both looked off their game today) so who would you drop?

loads of folk suggesting signing 4/5 players - I don't see it either. 2 good quality - winger and left back / left sided centre back. Stevenson to focus on coaching, Hanlon also / move on and that might do us. will be interesting to see the quality we're after - and that's before we consider loans from Bournemouth!

Quote Originally Posted by Keepthefaith View Post
    it'll be interesting as you've also not mentioned Monty's intent to give youth their chance. positively this means that anyone coming in has got to be quality - we've also got Mega, Conner and Aitken out on loan, who I believe are all doing well. be interesting to see if he brings mega back and if so what that means for harbottle. my feeling is that he'll go, either loan or permanent to lower league English club.

could do with cover on the wings. think we'll potentially target left back, though Obita generally playing well. could well see a striker come in as you've suggested - but if we can improve melkerson like we have Jair then this may not be needed. he looks like his confidence has soared playing back home. midfield also a tricky one - on their day a combination of Joe and Levitt are great (both looked off their game today) so who would you drop?

loads of folk suggesting signing 4/5 players - I don't see it either. 2 good quality - winger and left back / left sided centre back. Stevenson to focus on coaching, Hanlon also / move on and that might do us. will be interesting to see the quality we're after - and that's before we consider loans from Bournemouth!
    Two years from now Bournemouth will be getting loans from us

A slight issue we may have is a glamour for guys out on loan like Melkersen, Kenneh, Henderson and those injured like McKirdy to be given another chance as we think Monty will be able to transform them like Jair.

Risky strategy when to date they’ve not shown enough.

Everyone's talking about what we need to sign though would we not have to shift a few out in order to bring some in ?. Also the January window is probably the worst for clubs to do any business in , possibly more loan deals in and out rather than signings maybe?.

I'd be amazed if we signed in areas some have mentioned, think we'd need to get some people to go elsewhere before we saw massive changes -

GK - I can't see us signing someone when we have Marsh and Wallacot, it would probably a silly move to do so unless we somehow got someone to take Wallacotts wage of us for example then we could get someone else in at that point. But until then I think it'll likely be Marsh until the end of the season as he'll likely call it quits.
    LB - I reckon this will be Lewy's last season and we'll ride with him as back up left back until then as well
    ST - Melkersen is due back in January and I would actually like to see if we can get a similar reaction out of him as NM has gotten out of Jair to see if he's the man we thought he could be.

After this season I reckon there might be a big clear out of some names for various reasons. So until then I see us strengthening in January with majority of the guys we actually already have that will be available again hopefully. Getting the likes of Cadden, Melkersen, JDH, hopefully McKirdy back in our squad will really allow us to pad out the bench again and rotate more often as we've looked so light in the squad for a few weeks now.

Coaching Staff
    I’d be thinking about Jacob Farrell..left back of the Mariners and Oz Under 23 squad.

He’s arguably still a bit raw, so should be looked on as a longer term prospect, but puts in some tidy performances and in emergency has been switched to left CB.
    Last edited by Forza Fred; 12-11-2023 at 03:34 AM.

@hibs.net private member Auckland Hibs's Avatar
    100% agree 👍

If the investment money is available then we should be pulling out all the stops to get him before one of the uglies snap him up.

Promising Youngster
    Tanser from saints contract ends in the summer. Get him tied down to a pre contract. Outside the OF he’s the best LB in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Auckland Hibs View Post
    100% agree 👍

If the investment money is available then we should be pulling out all the stops to get him before one of the uglies snap him up.
    I take it this investment money that's supposedly becoming available is in the millions and we can offer wages equal to the old firm too, obviously Bill Foley is a Hibs fans .
    HANDS OFF HIBS 💚

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Auckland Hibs View Post
    100% agree 👍

I’d have agreed pre investment but maybe we can get better. He’s on a contract for another 18 months so would cost min 500k

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Be interesting to see who moves on, think we are light already without letting more then bringing in go, wouldn’t surprise me to see harbottle go he cant be happy with hows it’s went for him since coming here

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    Be interesting to see who moves on, think we are light already without letting more then bringing in go, wouldn’t surprise me to see harbottle go he cant be happy with hows it’s went for him since coming here
    We should be planning for life after Fish next season, whether that's a new player or maybe taking this season to get Harbottle up to pace to step in up next year?

@hibs.net private member
    I'm not sure how unlikely that is anymore. We have spent very good money (for our league) on Boyle, Youan and Vente in the last couple of years.

Whether McDermott, Monty etc rate him is another matter but I don't see someone like O'Hara as being unreasonable for us these days.