hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd rather watch football down at Saughton Park than any rugby on tv.
    Me too - but the poster makes a valid point.

It’s something that could so easily be changed to prevent time wasting.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Beyond hoping we win and Hearts lose I have no longer any interest in Scottish football.
    The prem, however, throws up some intriguing matches regularly. I'd rather watch Arsenal or Spurs for instance than Celtic or Aberdeen. Anyone would.

So this wasn't meant to be a thread about whether the EPL is a better league or not!

I just think we need to switch to the rugby approach to time keeping, they've shown it works and would take away arguments about added on time.

Feel free to close the thread cos the argument about which league is best is boring tbh! 🤣

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Beyond hoping we win and Hearts lose I have no longer any interest in Scottish football.
    The prem, however, throws up some intriguing matches regularly. I'd rather watch Arsenal or Spurs for instance than Celtic or Aberdeen. Anyone would.
    Given that around half the people responding are saying they have no interest in the EPL, I think you're overstating your case heretoday.

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by hhibs View Post
    Nope
    99.9% would. Scottish football is poor. You only need to see first touches here and then down south.

I absolutely wouldn't. Have no real interest in the English leagues, I'd genuinely rather watch Aberdeen v Motherwell than 90% of the games shown down south

Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    Isn’t a lot of the added time coming from VAR checks?

10-15 minutes added on is daft mind. They’d be better just stopping the clock when play isn’t happening.
    No VAR in EFL but at Bolton games this season we have had anything between 8 and 14 minutes added on this season (and a couple of 4s when it seemed they’d stopped bothering!)

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Soprano View Post
    Personally, I've never quite understood how some folk born and bred in Scotland with no links to England can become so infatuated with English teams. I'll watch the good prem games when they're on but couldn't care less who wins, just there for the product. Even worse when they support an English team but not a Scottish one.
    Well Im English and Im "infatuated" with Hibs

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    I don't understand how the number of injuries or play acting is entitlement or hypocrisy??

Fans wanting to get their money's worth?? Are some of us actually feeling cheated out of money because they don't see a full 90 mins of the ball in play?

Not sure how much impact a team playing a friendly in July has on players' fatigue in December either!

OP appears to just be having a wee rant about the EPL?!

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    I don't understand how the number of injuries or play acting is entitlement or hypocrisy??

Fans wanting to get their money's worth?? Are some of us actually feeling cheated out of money because they don't see a full 90 mins of the ball in play?

Not sure how much impact a team playing a friendly in July has on players' fatigue in December either!

Football has never been a full 90 minutes of ball in play. Not sure why anyone would expect that.

^^ Yeah it's a bit of a strange OP and a strange thing to complain about!!

@hibs.net private member
    Not far off this myself, I enjoy watching Hibs, I try to get to or watch as many games as I can but that's where it stops, if its not Hibs I don't watch Scottish Football on TV, I cant listen to radio shows or podcasts about Scottish football as a whole I just don't care enough about the other teams only care about Hibs, cant mind the last time I watched sportscene for highlights but MOTD on iplayer early doors on a Sunday morning is staple, super Sunday with a few beers perfect Sunday afternoon for me and I have a podcast I listen too every week about EPL just much more interesting
    Last edited by Dmas; 06-10-2023 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Football has never been a full 90 minutes of ball in play. Not sure why anyone would expect that.
    It hasn't but I can't imagine many would dispute that the simulation and over acting has greatly increased the time spent with nothing happening on the field. It's tedious to watch at times....

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

I'm actually not! was brought up a toon fan, as originally from the north east. have supported Newcastle through thick and thin but Hibs now my number 1 team, having lived her for the last 28 years.

I didn't think my point would be that hard to understand tbh. are you actually saying you don't care about so much wasted time due to player theatrics and at times blatant cheating? the way the managers talk about the unfairness of added on time does smack of entitlement IMO as throughout any discussion I've seen, not one of them has suggested players time wasting could be the reason. only time its brought up was last season when Newcastle were highlighted by Man City Liverpool and arsenal who felt threatened by the rise of the toon! yes VAR has added to this, so absolutely I want more in play time - why would anyone be happy to pay to watch something and end up with less time?

my point about friendlies was directly linked to the suggestion from clubs that players are getting injured as a result of playing longer added time. I think its hypocritical when they then travel to the other side of the world to play exhibition matches which impacts on close season prep and recovery. pretty sure some managers complained about this previously. so yeah I do find it hypocritical that clubs complain about an extra 5 mins yet are happy to put greater demand on players in the close season.

my post focused on the EPL because that's where I've seen / heard most of the hypocrisy / entitlement and I guess fundamentally it feels like the more overpaid you are as a footballer the more entitled you tend to be. maybe that'll be my next thread to annoy you...

Quote Originally Posted by Keepthefaith View Post
    I'm actually not! was brought up a toon fan, as originally from the north east. have supported Newcastle through thick and thin but Hibs now my number 1 team, having lived her for the last 28 years.

I didn't think my point would be that hard to understand tbh. are you actually saying you don't care about so much wasted time due to player theatrics and at times blatant cheating? the way the managers talk about the unfairness of added on time does smack of entitlement IMO as throughout any discussion I've seen, not one of them has suggested players time wasting could be the reason. only time its brought up was last season when Newcastle were highlighted by Man City Liverpool and arsenal who felt threatened by the rise of the toon! yes VAR has added to this, so absolutely I want more in play time - why would anyone be happy to pay to watch something and end up with less time?

my point about friendlies was directly linked to the suggestion from clubs that players are getting injured as a result of playing longer added time. I think its hypocritical when they then travel to the other side of the world to play exhibition matches which impacts on close season prep and recovery. pretty sure some managers complained about this previously. so yeah I do find it hypocritical that clubs complain about an extra 5 mins yet are happy to put greater demand on players in the close season.

my post focused on the EPL because that's where I've seen / heard most of the hypocrisy / entitlement and I guess fundamentally it feels like the more overpaid you are as a footballer the more entitled you tend to be. maybe that'll be my next thread to annoy you...
    Didn't annoy me at all, I found it kinda fun

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Well Im English and Im "infatuated" with Hibs