hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

EPL - entitlement and hypocrisy

just wanting to vent and wondering if anyone else feels the same way!

noticed lots of comments recently from EPL managers equating the number of injuries they have with the "unreasonable load" on their players and within this, stating that added on time is a factor.

there's number of things here that annoy me - firstly there's no acknowledgement of the play acting that is rife in the game and that this is often the reason for added time. secondly, the players aren't impacted physically by added time, because it is there to represent the time they are all stood doing nowt!

additionally, there's no mention of the fans, of wanting to ensure that fans get their moneys worth from what they watch - all the comments are from the perspective of overpaid players. when they talk about schedules, they fail to mention that many clubs choose now to go on extensive overseas trips for friendlies, adding to player fatigue but with the focus of maximising profits. maybe clubs and managers should look internally first before trying to shaft fans yet again.

I'd not be averse to a trial of rugby style time keeping but would want greater penalties brought in for faking injury / cheating within the game.

I haven't heard the same level of complaints in scotland yet, though there is a disparity with the old firm as another thread notes. but I do worry that fans don't appear to have a voice / be consulted about this when in effect we're being cheated through the lack of in ball play if added time isn't reflected in the amount of stoppages.

thoughts?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Tricla's Avatar
    Can't argue with any of that. Although I need to take your word for it. I don't watch the EPL as it's a lot of codswallop.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricla View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can't argue with any of that. Although I need to take your word for it. I don't watch the EPL as it's a lot of codswallop.
    It’s not though. Loads of brilliant games in the EPL.

Isn’t a lot of the added time coming from VAR checks?

10-15 minutes added on is daft mind. They’d be better just stopping the clock when play isn’t happening.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    It’s not though. Loads of brilliant games in the EPL.
    Not sure it's loads. There certainly are some good games but even my wife commented a couple of weeks back about how many games I lose interest in and switch off or go do something else.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Not sure it's loads. There certainly are some good games but even my wife commented a couple of weeks back about how many games I lose interest in and switch off or go do something else.
    It is certainly loads. Hence why more watch it than any other league.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    It is certainly loads. Hence why more watch it than any other league.
    It's the best league in the world unfortunately!

I couldn't spend my time watching just the SPL. It's pretty poor fare.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Never watch the EPL, stopped even watching the highlights on Match of the Day, after more than 50 years of it being my main Saturday night viewing.

There will no doubt be the occasional great football match, but for me it's a giant so what. I'm only really interested in watching Hibs and Scotland.

I hope that it all goes tits up, probably never happen but it would be satisfying to see.
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 04-10-2023 at 08:50 AM.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    It's the best league in the world unfortunately!

I couldn't spend my time watching just the SPL. It's pretty poor fare.
    This

Rupert Murdoch's Sky has been telling us it's the best league in the world since 1992 so it must be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricla View Post
    I just struggle to watch games that's don't involve Hibs. Might stretch to one that directly effects Hibs but otherwise I'd normally be bored to tears. Friday night Scottish Championship games are usually pretty entertaining to be fair.
    Last edited by Since452; 04-10-2023 at 09:13 AM.

Soulless nonsense down there IMO, rarely (if ever) watch MOTD

Arbroath vs Morton genuinely holds more appeal for me than a Brighton vs Chelsea

If their financial bubble ever bursts (and it surely will at some stage), that would be spectacular viewing!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post

I hope that it all goes tits up, probably never happen but it would be satisfying to see.
    Why do you hope that happens?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by SickBoy32 View Post
    Soulless nonsense down there IMO, rarely (if ever) watch MOTD

Arbroath vs Morton genuinely holds more appeal for me than a Brighton vs Chelsea

If their financial bubble ever bursts (and it surely will at some stage), that would be spectacular viewing!
    How exactly would it burst? More and more people are watching, games are very high standard, top players in every team. Average premier league sides compete for and win European trophies, never mind the good ones.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Why do you hope that happens?
    It's a sport tainted by corruption, the sports washing of dirty money, the elevation of the footballing elite to ridiculous levels, the soulless nature of the game.

To get back to the original point:

I think in general teams have introduced so much time wasting, plus the effects of VAR, that something had to be done about it. Though as already mentioned, it does seem to be disproportionate for OF games

I agree with the OP about the argument against being more injuries, as the idea is to restore wasted time, not add extra time.

Dundee's time wasting at the weekend would have been an ideal opportunity to clamp down, but bizarrely nothing was done about it and we got three minutes added on.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Never watch the EPL, stopped even watching the highlights on Match of the Day, after more than 50 years of it being my main Saturday night viewing.

There will no doubt be the occasional great football match, but for me it's a giant so what. I'm only really interested in watching Hibs and Scotland.

I'm similar. The overhyping just does my head in and the fact that only a few teams can win anything makes it a precession not a competition. Not much better than Scotland in terms of competition and while the quality may be better it doesn't do much for me as I hate the dirty money and the fact it supports some of the most evil people in the world.

At the start of Sky I loved it and devoured as many games as I could. As competition started to lessen and the cups started to be seeded and made easier for top teams I started to lose interest. The Champions League probably did more to me losing interest than anything else as it is a borefest with the same teams playing each other every year and teh odds loaded for the teams with most money.

I probably love Hibs more now than ever and my love for the Scotland team has returned too and I am going to the odd game(back in the 80s I went to all the home games). For me football is about the club I love and not the sport. I top that up with watching some of teh lower league games, usually with a camera in my hand, and give me Gayfield of Starks Park over watching the EPL any day.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumble de Thump View Post
    Rupert Murdoch's Sky has been telling us it's the best league in the world since 1992 so it must be true.
    I don't think there is any doubt whatsoever that it's the best league in the world and it's not Sky that's telling us that, it's the world wide viewing figures that piss over any other leagues figures.

I get that there are plenty that don't like that but, it's pretty indisputable right now.

Personally, I think it's at the highest standard that it's ever been at.

After watching a fair bit of the rugby World Cup, football really need to look at how they do things referee and time wise. Rugby is miles ahead in that department.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post
    After watching a fair bit of the rugby World Cup, football really need to look at how they do things referee and time wise. Rugby is miles ahead in that department.
    I'd rather watch football down at Saughton Park than any rugby on tv.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    I don't think there is any doubt whatsoever that it's the best league in the world and it's not Sky that's telling us that, it's the world wide viewing figures that piss over any other leagues figures.

I get that there are plenty that don't like that but, it's pretty indisputable right now.

There's some real quality in almost every team just now (Everton, Sheff Utd and Luton aside)

The EPL is a marketing masterpiece ... but whether or not it has changed football for the better is highly open to question. It's success and that of the UCL has been the driver for a massive disparity in finance not only within the EPL itself, but also between the leagues of Europe.

The usual suspects were always the usual suspects, but you only have to look at the last 10 years of the old European cup compared to the last 10 years of the champions league to see the difference money and especially money from super rich owners attracted by the global glamour of the 'big leagues' has made.

European cup:

Barcelona
    Red Star Belgrade
    AC Milan
    AC Milan
    PSV Eindhoven
    Poto
    Steaua Bucharest
    Juventus
    Liverpool
    SV Hamburg

Champions League:

Man City
    Real Madrid
    Chelsea
    Bayern Munich
    Liverpool
    Real Madrid
    Real Madrid
    Real Madrid
    Barcelona
    Real Madrid

In what universe could Porto, Steaua Bucharest or Red Star Belgrade have a hope in the current UCL .. even SV Hamburg and PSV would be massive outside betS. I appreciate English clubs were banned for a good chunk of the last 10 years of the European cup, but even so.

I still watch MOTD but no way on earth would I subscribe to watch the EPL and I have little to no interest any more in the so called 'Champions League' I refuse to pay to watch a competition that is nothing more than a rich clubs carve up.

If the choice was the CL semis and final or the Scottish Championship play offs it would be an utter no contest ... give me the latter any old day of the week.

https://twitter.com/paddypower/statu...4HV2QI9SA&s=19

Paddy Power brilliant yet again

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MixerAlizz
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    https://twitter.com/paddypower/statu...4HV2QI9SA&s=19

Paddy Power brilliant yet again

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk
    ****my gambling corporation trying to be funny and relatable. **** them.

Quote Originally Posted by Keepthefaith View Post
    just wanting to vent and wondering if anyone else feels the same way!

noticed lots of comments recently from EPL managers equating the number of injuries they have with the "unreasonable load" on their players and within this, stating that added on time is a factor.

there's number of things here that annoy me - firstly there's no acknowledgement of the play acting that is rife in the game and that this is often the reason for added time. secondly, the players aren't impacted physically by added time, because it is there to represent the time they are all stood doing nowt!

additionally, there's no mention of the fans, of wanting to ensure that fans get their moneys worth from what they watch - all the comments are from the perspective of overpaid players. when they talk about schedules, they fail to mention that many clubs choose now to go on extensive overseas trips for friendlies, adding to player fatigue but with the focus of maximising profits. maybe clubs and managers should look internally first before trying to shaft fans yet again.

I'd not be averse to a trial of rugby style time keeping but would want greater penalties brought in for faking injury / cheating within the game.

I haven't heard the same level of complaints in scotland yet, though there is a disparity with the old firm as another thread notes. but I do worry that fans don't appear to have a voice / be consulted about this when in effect we're being cheated through the lack of in ball play if added time isn't reflected in the amount of stoppages.

thoughts?
    Regardless of the rationale, it is still additional time that players are on the park. I think most of the complaints are around the overall schedule of games. Nations League etc. And unfortunately players/coaches have little power to speak out against pre season tours around the world.

Coaches speaking out against play acting would just be p*ssing in the wind. Look at Brentford's game at the weekend there also - their player is fouled by the Forest keeper but he gets up and plays on..........no penalty given. Is it any wonder players embellish contact to ensure the refs give them the award?

Rather predictable how people seem to go out of their way to comment on threads about English football, only to tell us that they infact have no interest in English football

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    How exactly would it burst? More and more people are watching, games are very high standard, top players in every team. Average premier league sides compete for and win European trophies, never mind the good ones.
    A bubble occurs when there is an over inflation in value of assets - I would say they're way past that point, with no mark English players being swapped around regularly for tens of millions of £.

More people are watching due to entering Asian markets (I'd guess). By that token, NFL / F1 etc could just as easily take away some of these new 'fans'

Further down the leagues, there is an ever increasing amount of clubs being deducted points due to financial troubles, probably rooted from over-extending themselves to reach the promised land of the EPL £££

Any decent govt (not a likely prospect at all in the english parliament, to be fair) would also look to stop some of the many dodgy (criminal) owners involved in the english pyramid

It obviously all looks rosy just now (in the top league at least), but I think any large downturn in the revenues (IPTV anyone) received by clubs could quickly see the dominoes begin to fall

Your points in bold are just a consequence of the obscene money involved.

English football needs a total reset, to give the game back to the people - currently just a soulless circus IMO. I'm sure there would be plenty down south who'd agree with that too, having been priced out of the game by their clubs

@hibs.net private member

It’s definitely indisputable now imo.

When we were being told it was the best 5 or 6 years ago I wouldn’t have agreed. The all conquering Barcelona sides, Real Madrid that were relentless in Europe etc were better than anything England had to offer. I think now though they’ve definitely kicked on.

Left by mutual consent!

With the amount of criminal money being laundered through it since 92 it would be shocking if it wasn't the most viewed. I laugh at the smug Premier League fans as they take a self esteem boost from watching the league of the oligarch and sheikh.

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Rather predictable how people seem to go out of their way to comment on threads about English football, only to tell us that they infact have no interest in English football
    Personally, I've never quite understood how some folk born and bred in Scotland with no links to England can become so infatuated with English teams. I'll watch the good prem games when they're on but couldn't care less who wins, just there for the product. Even worse when they support an English team but not a Scottish one.