hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

Hungarian Goulash

Has anyone got a good recipe for this meaty delight?

I've always enjoyed it, but I was in Cologne a while ago and I had it in a Brauhaus and it was spectacularly delicious so I'd like to recreate it if possible.

Any recipes?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I've always used this one from BBC Good Food:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/beef-goulash

I add a wee bit of Worcester sauce to the beef when it's cooking (which isn't in the recipe, but a friend of mine from Hungary suggested once).
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I was in a superb restaurant in Budapest in March who were happy to give out their recipe.

When I get time this week I’ll put it up here for you.

Budapest probably overtook Barcelona as my favourite city for food.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 12-09-2023 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was in a superb restaurant in Budapest in March who were happy to give out their recipe.

When I get time this week I’ll put it up here for you.

Budapest probably overtook Barcelona as my favourite city for food.
    That would be great, thank you!

I'd never considered Budapest as a foodie city, so that's something to think about too.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I've always used this one from BBC Good Food:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/beef-goulash

I add a wee bit of Worcester sauce to the beef when it's cooking (which isn't in the recipe, but a friend of mine from Hungary suggested once).
    Thanks Scott. I had looked at that, but wasn't sure how authentic it was.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

In Budapest it was served inside a hollowed out bread loaf when I was there at New Year just before the pandemic.
    Delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    That would be great, thank you!

I'd never considered Budapest as a foodie city, so that's something to think about too.
    During the off season there’s often cheap flights from Edinburgh airport. It’s a cheap city to visit and absolutely wonderful for things to see, places to eat, and places to stroll. The Rudas thermal spa is wonderful with an old Islamic steam bath (in the most beautiful dome) and a rooftop hot tub overlooking the Danube. £20 for all day entry.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    As an aside on the theme of Budapest. I flew there and had a night out on the way to Scotland playing in Slovakia a few years ago.

Nice city. Was a Monday night so the city was quiet. Three of us were walking along when we saw a group of students getting photographed walking into a bar. We joined the back of the group and walked in with them. Turns out they were filming a music video of someone big over there. Was quite cool, if very surreal and random, seeing a music video being made. We weren’t any trouble so they didn’t mind us being there and watching. Sadly we didn’t make the cut in the video when they walk into the bar.

https://youtu.be/hEe3Q5kodfs?si=nCCXzdJpumIOpD-n

During the off season there’s often cheap flights from Edinburgh airport. It’s a cheap city to visit and absolutely wonderful for things to see, places to eat, and places to stroll. The Rudas thermal spa is wonderful with an old Islamic steam bath (in the most beautiful dome) and a rooftop hot tub overlooking the Danube. £20 for all day entry.
    I'm not sure how that last post got deleted.

Budapest is firmly on my list now! I wonder if there are direct flights from Leeds.

Last time I was there was when we played Videoton and you'll understand that I didn't take in much culture on that trip!

PS I'm going to go shopping for the ingredients tomorrow so if that recipe surfaces, let me know!

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyDave View Post
    In Budapest it was served inside a hollowed out bread loaf when I was there at New Year just before the pandemic.
    Delicious.
    Was that in the "Old man Pub" in town.

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyDave View Post
    Delicious.
    That's how they served Borscht the couple of times I had it in Kiev, very tasty.

400g bite sized beef
    1 tbsp sweet paprika powder
    2 carrots diced to bite size
    1 yellow pepper, deseeded and diced
    2 medium onions, diced
    1 crushed clove of garlic
    Salt and pepper
    2 tbsp oil
    Parsley roots diced
    1 stick celery, diced
    1 tomato, diced
    2 potatoes, cubed
    1/2 tsp caraway seeds, minced
    2 and a half litres water

Heat oil in large pan. Add onions until soft and glassy

Add beef, salt, pepper, caraway seeds. Brown.

Add tomato, pepper, garlic, and paprika.

Add 2l of the water and cook on low for 90-120 minutes

Add celery, parsley root, carrots, and rest of the water.

Cook for another 5-10 minutes

Add potatoes and cook until tender. Season with salt and pepper.

You can then also add Csipetke (Hungarian pinched noodles). Mix 100g flour with one egg and make a dough. Crumble the dough, add to the goulash and cook.

It should be soup like, almost broth like in consistency.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

400g bite sized beef
    1 tbsp sweet paprika powder
    2 carrots diced to bite size
    1 yellow pepper, deseeded and diced
    2 medium onions, diced
    1 crushed clove of garlic
    Salt and pepper
    2 tbsp oil
    Parsley roots diced
    1 stick celery, diced
    1 tomato, diced
    2 potatoes, cubed
    1/2 tsp caraway seeds, minced
    2 and a half litres water

Heat oil in large pan. Add onions until soft and glassy

Add beef, salt, pepper, caraway seeds. Brown.

Add tomato, pepper, garlic, and paprika.

Add 2l of the water and cook on low for 90-120 minutes

Add celery, parsley root, carrots, and rest of the water.

Cook for another 5-10 minutes

Add potatoes and cook until tender. Season with salt and pepper.

You can then also add Csipetke (Hungarian pinched noodles). Mix 100g flour with one egg and make a dough. Crumble the dough, add to the goulash and cook.

It should be soup like, almost broth like in consistency.
    That's an interesting recipe, sweet paprika is a surprise, but I'll give it a go.

How many will that serve? Also, where can I find Parsley roots?
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 13-09-2023 at 07:21 PM.

That's an interesting recipe, sweet paprika is a surprise, but I'll give it a go.

How many will that serve? Also, where can I find Parsley roots?
    I don't know how many it'll serve, but from what I can see, parsley root has similarities to parsnip. Maybe finely dice a parsnip and use that?

I've just bought some caraway seeds online. That appears to be a constant in all the goulash recipes I've seen.

Not made this recipe yet myself, but it was from a restaurant that really impressed me. For my main course I had a crispy duck leg with braised red cabbage and mashed potato. The fat on the duck leg has been cooked so it was crispy all over and the duck leg fell off the bone.

There were lots of stalls through the city selling funnel cake. If memory serves me right one big funnel cake, still warm and coated in cinnamon sugar was about £2.

I don't know how many it'll serve, but from what I can see, parsley root has similarities to parsnip. Maybe finely dice a parsnip and use that?

I've just bought some caraway seeds online. That appears to be a constant in all the goulash recipes I've seen.

Not made this recipe yet myself, but it was from a restaurant that really impressed me. For my main course I had a crispy duck leg with braised red cabbage and mashed potato. The fat on the duck leg has been cooked so it was crispy all over and the duck leg fell off the bone.

There were lots of stalls through the city selling funnel cake. If memory serves me right one big funnel cake, still warm and coated in cinnamon sugar was about £2.
    Cheers NH

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Was that in the "Old man Pub" in town.
    Can’t remember name of the place but it was outdoors and there was a Christmas style merry go round nearby.
    I did notice quite a few wee pop up bars

Just booked three nights in Albania for £85 or so per person, looking forward to seeing what scran we can find. Seems to be a mix of Greek, Italian, and even a little Turkish in influence.

Just booked three nights in Albania for £85 or so per person, looking forward to seeing what scran we can find. Seems to be a mix of Greek, Italian, and even a little Turkish in influence.
    Now that's interesting.

I've been pondering a trip to Albania since my best mate's daughter sent us photos from there a few months (beautiful beaches), but I wouldn't know where to go or how to get there.

What have you booked and who are you flying with and where from?

Now that's interesting.

I've been pondering a trip to Albania since my best mate's daughter sent us photos from there a few months (beautiful beaches), but I wouldn't know where to go or how to get there.

What have you booked and who are you flying with and where from?
    Cheapo flights with Ryanair - Edinburgh to Tirana. No extra baggage on top of the small bag you’re allowed so it will just be wearing plenty layers on the flight and shoving three t shirts and pairs of underwear into a small backpack.

I usually just book a hostel if I’m heading by myself, but my partner can get the time off so we’ve booked a guesthouse which is also great value.

If I’d done it the way I usually do I reckon it would have cost me about £60-65 all in.

I do a long weekend city break 3-4 times a year - cheapest flights that go somewhere I’ve never been before, and it’s usually for trying new food and visiting museums and galleries. If you’re prepared to do a hostel and put up with anti social flight times it’s a cheap hobby.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 15-09-2023 at 03:02 PM.

Cheapo flights with Ryanair - Edinburgh to Tirana. No extra baggage on top of the small bag you’re allowed so it will just be wearing plenty layers on the flight and shoving three t shirts and pairs of underwear into a small backpack.

I usually just book a hostel if I’m heading by myself, but my partner can get the time off so we’ve booked a guesthouse which is also great value.

If I’d done it the way I usually do I reckon it would have cost me about £60-65 all in.

I do a long weekend city break 3-4 times a year - cheapest flights that go somewhere I’ve never been before, and it’s usually for trying new food and visiting museums and galleries. If you’re prepared to do a hostel and put up with anti social flight times it’s a cheap hobby.
    Great idea although, at my age, I'm a bit beyond hostels. I love that you just pick a cheap flight anywhere. I might well copy that.

Great idea although, at my age, I'm a bit beyond hostels. I love that you just pick a cheap flight anywhere. I might well copy that.
    Check out Hostelworld.com - a private room in a hostel may also be a cheap option. Occasionally you'll get an en suite but it's still a cheap way to do it. Read what's included as you may need to take a small microfibre towel, and defo take travel insurance that covers flight delays and the like. AirBnB is also an option. Even in my late thirties I often find people much older than me in the dorms though, I'm not fussy as to where I sleep!

The flights are quite often very early in the morning or late at night, but if you're willing to put up with that, then it's a great way to see the continent, particularly if you go to countries where exchange rates mean that things are cheap for us.

Gdansk was a brilliant city for a weekend - the Centre of European Solidarity was worth seeing, Westerplatte a worthwhile journey, and the Museum of World War 2 was harrowing but a must see at some point in life.

Do a bit of research online (google for blogs in regards to travel for the city you're travelling) - the recommendations on there are often better for restaurants, bars, and cafes are better than TripAdvisor as well as activities.

Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, and Portugal are all on my hit list for when cheap flights come up.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 15-09-2023 at 03:37 PM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Thanks Scott. I had looked at that, but wasn't sure how authentic it was.
    It certainly wasn't far off what my mate's given me before - the problem with fully authentic is acquiring the same ingredients available that are very geographically limited. You put me in the mood for it though given the chill in the weather, so I've got stuff to make one tomorrow
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Well... I found real Hungarian paprika, both sweet and hot, but I wasn't able to source the parsley roots so I made a bit of a hybrid version of goulash yesterday, and it was a success.

I did make what I thought was going to be a collosal mistake: I was using half the amounts in the recipe but I forgot and I used the full amount of paprika. In fact, I decided to add hot paprika as well as the sweet so I probably use 4 times the suggested quantity but it was great.

I'll be making it again, maybe not with quite as much paprika, but definitely more than the recipe asks for.

https://youtu.be/lgQBhCgQYPo?si=2IaueFztW_TQH6Iq

Slow cooker recipe if you fancy trying it, I've not tried it yet but will be giving it a bash. I've followed this channel for a while and the recipes usually turn out not too bad for the very average cook that I am

Made some goulash on Tuesday after this thread - really hit the spot!

Started my latest food project today - salt beef. Bought a nice brisket of beef, made a brine just now with some butchers cure, herbs, and spices, and will cure it for 2-3 weeks. Nearer the times will make my own bagels and pickles to serve with it.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BS44 View Post
    https://youtu.be/lgQBhCgQYPo?si=2IaueFztW_TQH6Iq

Slow cooker recipe if you fancy trying it, I've not tried it yet but will be giving it a bash. I've followed this channel for a while and the recipes usually turn out not too bad for the very average cook that I am
    I actually did a slow cooker version on Monday after reading this thread. I didn't really follow a recipe but it was pretty close to this. I used smoked paprika and hot paprika, though.

Made some goulash on Tuesday after this thread - really hit the spot!

Started my latest food project today - salt beef. Bought a nice brisket of beef, made a brine just now with some butchers cure, herbs, and spices, and will cure it for 2-3 weeks. Nearer the times will make my own bagels and pickles to serve with it.
    I've been wanting to get my hands on American style pickles for years, but I have never been able to find them in the UK.

Are yours similar to those? How do you make them?

I've been wanting to get my hands on American style pickles for years, but I have never been able to find them in the UK.

Are yours similar to those? How do you make them?
    250ml vinegar, 250ml water, about 30g of caster sugar, a teaspoon of salt, coriander seeds (a pinch), mustard seeds (a good pinch) heated in a pan then cooled to create a brine. Let cool, halve some small cucumbers and put in a sterilised kilner jar. Add some fresh dill and a fresh chili, sliced lengthways but kept on the stalk to keep it together, then pour the brine on top.

Leave about five days to a week.

Don't know if that's US style, but certainly will make you a good pickle.