hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Pedalecs

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar

Pedalecs

I'm thinking about getting the Cube Kathmandu Pro 750 for my 40 mile commute to and back from work and wanted to hear if anyone has had any experience with pedalecs?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Apologies H but I’m clearly getting old. I don’t understand anything from post except you commute a fair distance. Are you considering buying a bike? An E-bike or motorbike etc?
    In other words sorry but I’ve no experience and can’t help😂

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Everyday is a school day

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm thinking about getting the Cube Kathmandu Pro 750 for my 40 mile commute to and back from work and wanted to hear if anyone has had any experience with pedalecs?
    I assume that's a 40 mile round trip?

I've no experience of e-bikes apart from the occasional hire, but I've been toying with the idea of getting one for zmrs R and myself.

The problem is, I don't know what's good and what to avoid so let me know how you get on in your hunt, please.

The Kathmandu seems to be well thought of from the few reviews I've seen. It might be worthwhile chatting to a reputable cycle shop?

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyDave View Post
    Apologies H but I’m clearly getting old. I don’t understand anything from post except you commute a fair distance. Are you considering buying a bike? An E-bike or motorbike etc?
    In other words sorry but I’ve no experience and can’t help😂
    No worries HD, I'm still trying to get my head around the difference between Pedalecs, S-Pedalecs and E-Bikes as well as the different rules governing their use.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Done that, but just wanted a chat with someone who might have had experience using the things.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I assume that's a 40 mile round trip?

I've no experience of e-bikes apart from the occasional hire, but I've been toying with the idea of getting one for zmrs R and myself.

The problem is, I don't know what's good and what to avoid so let me know how you get on in your hunt, please.

The Kathmandu seems to be well thought of from the few reviews I've seen. It might be worthwhile chatting to a reputable cycle shop?
    Yes Dave, about 33km there and 33 back, all reasonably flat but about half the journey is from the city boundary to the city centre.

The reviews seem good and I wanted to stay away from so called bargains that will rust within 3 months and always need repair. Reviews nowadays are to be taken with a pinch of salt because you never know who is or whose money is behind them.

I've just ordered it and will pick it up on Friday, I'll write an unbiased review on here once I've had it for a while.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Appreciate 20 miles each way is too far to go on a pushbike for all but complete fanatics, but jeezo, £3-4k for a bicycle!

Yes Dave, about 33km there and 33 back, all reasonably flat but about half the journey is from the city boundary to the city centre.

The reviews seem good and I wanted to stay away from so called bargains that will rust within 3 months and always need repair. Reviews nowadays are to be taken with a pinch of salt because you never know who is or whose money is behind them.

I've just ordered it and will pick it up on Friday, I'll write an unbiased review on here once I've had it for a while.
    Well done 👍
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    I used to cycle 26 miles round trip from Wallyford to Edinburgh park and it was pretty easy going on a normal bike. Took just over an hour each way, quite often I'd get home before colleagues that were getting trains or cars.

Killer in the winter months though.

I've been using my pedalec for my commute to work now and am mightily impressed. On the way in to work I use the Turbo setting and it gets me in work in around 1 hour 20 without breaking a sweat, whereas before with car and train it would take me about an hour. The only difference is that I get suited and booted at work now rather than at home, in fact some days I've not even bothered putting on a suit if it wasn't necessary.

On the way home I'll switch between eco mode and off meaning I'm getting a decent workout and it takes about the same time as the way in.

In the winter months (they can be harsh in Berlin) I'll probably revert back to the train but instead of taking the car I'll bike to the station. A monthly bike ticket costs €15 so I'll have the option to cycle home if it's mild enough.

I've been using my pedalec for my commute to work now and am mightily impressed. On the way in to work I use the Turbo setting and it gets me in work in around 1 hour 20 without breaking a sweat, whereas before with car and train it would take me about an hour. The only difference is that I get suited and booted at work now rather than at home, in fact some days I've not even bothered putting on a suit if it wasn't necessary.

On the way home I'll switch between eco mode and off meaning I'm getting a decent workout and it takes about the same time as the way in.

In the winter months (they can be harsh in Berlin) I'll probably revert back to the train but instead of taking the car I'll bike to the station. A monthly bike ticket costs €15 so I'll have the option to cycle home if it's mild enough.
    I take it you charge it up every night. How long does that take?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I take it you charge it up every night. How long does that take?
    From 0% to 100% it's supposed to take 4 hours, but it's not been below 25% yet. I could charge it at work but that would be taking the piss