hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can you refuse to have a smart meter installed?

Been ignoring texts/calls about this for years but eventually answered the phone to someone pushing me to arrange an appointment to replace our gas and electricity meters. Is this in any way compulsory if your current meters are functioning perfectly well? I tend to hear only criticisms of smart meters so am reluctant to proceed.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Yes you can. I was hassled by EDF to the point I had to make an official complaint about them. Day after the complaint went in I get a phone call saying they had removed me from the register and I would not receive any communications about a smart meter and that if I wanted one I would need to contact them. I had both meters replaced just before smart meter program was started up so I have no interest in giving my supplier more control over my energy supply than they have just now. Best idea is to contact them and tell them to remove you from their list. If they contact you about it again after that, call them and ask to make an official complaint about their harassing behaviour. Good luck.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes you can. I was hassled by EDF to the point I had to make an official complaint about them. Day after the complaint went in I get a phone call saying they had removed me from the register and I would not receive any communications about a smart meter and that if I wanted one I would need to contact them. I had both meters replaced just before smart meter program was started up so I have no interest in giving my supplier more control over my energy supply than they have just now. Best idea is to contact them and tell them to remove you from their list. If they contact you about it again after that, call them and ask to make an official complaint about their harassing behaviour. Good luck.
    Thanks.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    My gas smart meter works well and I'm glad I have it, for some reason my electric one doesn't work though which is annoying.

At least the electric one is indoors so I can check it easily vs the gas one which is outside.

What are the reasons to not want one?
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Aye I've had trouble with EDF as well, used to be phone calls, now it's constant texts to say "good news, we've booked a smart meter installation" despite me having opted out.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    We had a joint gas/electricity meter fitted yesterday. I really like it.

It's amazing to see how using different appliances affect the power usage and the actual cost.

I think it will make me change my habits, maybe not massively, but enough to reduce my bills and help the planet a little bit.

I'm delighted that I don't have to submit my meter readings any more too. I used to hate doing that in the winter because our meters are in outside boxes.

I can't think of any reason not to have them installed.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    My gas smart meter works well and I'm glad I have it, for some reason my electric one doesn't work though which is annoying.

At least the electric one is indoors so I can check it easily vs the gas one which is outside.

Are they smart meters?

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    We had a joint gas/electricity meter fitted yesterday. I really like it.

It's amazing to see how using different appliances affect the power usage and the actual cost.

I think it will make me change my habits, maybe not massively, but enough to reduce my bills and help the planet a little bit.

I'm delighted that I don't have to submit my meter readings any more too. I used to hate doing that in the winter because our meters are in outside boxes.

I can't think of any reason not to have them installed.
    I’d love to get one put in.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Why do you think you’re giving more control to your energy company?

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post

How can you check the electric one easily if it doesn't work?

Funny, I've been with edf for years and they've never asked us to get a smart meter.

@hibs.net private member
    Slightly hijacking this thread but has anyone ever had their electricity meter stop working?

I hadn’t noticed but I’ve looked back and I’ve been putting the same figure in for nearly 6 months. The last time I put it in the figure finally rang a bell which made me look.

I’ve tried contacting EON who I’m with but haven’t had any response to my emails.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Slightly hijacking this thread but has anyone ever had their electricity meter stop working?

I hadn’t noticed but I’ve looked back and I’ve been putting the same figure in for nearly 6 months. The last time I put it in the figure finally rang a bell which made me look.

I’ve tried contacting EON who I’m with but haven’t had any response to my emails.
    Sounds like a gift from the money gods…until they finally suss what’s going on and <hugely over> ‘estimate’ your usage for the period it’s been bust!

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar

I had the first generation smart meters installed probably more than 10 years ago now, the gas meter has an inbuilt battery to power the display for meter readings. The battery in mine eventually stopped working so although I was still using gas I had no way of reading the meter to give give accurate readings. Took an age with bulb to get them changed.
    The first generation smart meters could only be read by the supplier that installed them so when I switched suppliers I had to provide meter readings old school style. The Second generation meters I have now can be read by all suppliers so if you switch you don’t need to have your meters changed.

First Team Breakthrough Sloop67's Avatar
    I was constantly getting emails, letters and txt messages trying to get me to upgrade to a smart meter , they kept telling me that it was for my own benefit and that my current meter was out of date and could be inaccurate. After checking with my landlord that it was ok to get one installed I decided to book an appointment to have one installed as I had some holidays coming up I'd be able to let the guy in to do the job , I went online to try and arrange a visit went through the whole process of giving them my location and details only to be told that I couldn't get one installed because my meter wasn't suitable to be changed, never had any more contact with the power company since about changing it .

@hibs.net private member
    We're with Octopus. We moved recently from a house with smart meters to another one with smart meters. All we had to do was tell them when we were moving and they did all the readings for us.

Just one less thing to worry about on the day after all the stress of lawyers begging me to kill them, I mean not doing the jobs they were overpaid for.

As an aside, we did get lucky on the day as the 18 ton van we were due to have was switched to another move, and promptly broke down at the unfortunate customers' house.

Quote Originally Posted by AltheHibby View Post
    We're with Octopus. We moved recently from a house with smart meters to another one with smart meters. All we had to do was tell them when we were moving and they did all the readings for us.

Just one less thing to worry about on the day after all the stress of lawyers begging me to kill them, I mean not doing the jobs they were overpaid for.

As an aside, we did get lucky on the day as the 18 ton van we were due to have was switched to another move, and promptly broke down at the unfortunate customers' house.
    We're with Octopus and they are very good. Clear communications and accounts explained regularly. They've never tried to browbeat us into getting a smart meter but have suggested that it would be simpler if we did.

They also offer us a possible £512 prize for playing their Wheel of Fortune game if we get a smart meter installed!

Yes, it was below ground level and flooded. Got them to come out, but they sent a gas engineer so he couldn’t do anything.

We kept paying our direct debit and then moved every year so as not to get caught.

IIRC they can only back bill you for two years..

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Yes, it was below ground level and flooded. Got them to come out, but they sent a gas engineer so he couldn’t do anything.

We kept paying our direct debit and then moved every year so as not to get caught.

IIRC they can only back bill you for two years..
    One year according to this article, though it's an English tale.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    With smart meters, "not working" often really means "not sending readings to the company". If that's the case then you can still read the value off the screen and submit it manually.

Blog Entries
    The technology in smart meters is garbage. I have had smart meters ( heavily pressured by British Gas ) for about ten years. They have NEVER worked despite numerous attempts by their engineers to ‘fix’ the problems. For the last two or three years, they have given me a system which allows remote ( admittedly accurate ) monitoring of gas and electricity usage, so my bills are accurate. However, their claim that the system allows you to closely read specific usage within the house via the ‘in home display monitor, just doesn’t work and British Gas has admitted defeat in my case. I’m quite happy that the nett result is accurate billing but the intended appeal of smart metering is a joke. Avoid if possible.

Ps. As far as the op’s original question is concerned, I don’t know if you can refuse to have smart meters but in my experience, once you let them install them in your house, you can not revert back to conventional meters.
    Last edited by Jim44; 12-09-2023 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    The technology in smart meters is garbage. I have had smart meters ( heavily pressured by British Gas ) for about ten years. They have NEVER worked despite numerous attempts by their engineers to ‘fix’ the problems. For the last two or three years, they have given me a system which allows remote ( admittedly accurate ) monitoring of gas and electricity usage, so my bills are accurate. However, their claim that the system allows you to closely read specific usage within the house via the ‘in home display monitor, just doesn’t work and British Gas has admitted defeat in my case. I’m quite happy that the nett result is accurate billing but the intended appeal of smart metering is a joke. Avoid if possible.

Ps. As far as the op’s original question is concerned, I don’t know if you can refuse to have smart meters but in my experience, once you let them install them in your house, you can not revert back to conventional meters.
    My meter is working well.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Blog Entries
    My meter is working well.
    I’m very happy for you, Hibbyradge , I’m only highlighting my experience and know that quite a few of my friends and acquaintances are really dissatisfied with the system. If you are unlucky enough to get lumbered with meters which do not work, you can end up with grossly inaccurate estimated readings. The premise that these meters offer the customer detailed information about their domestic usage is a ‘come on’ and smokescreen. Their fundamental motive is to save money paying thousands of door to door meter readers. Despite folk like you who are happy with the system, I continually hear complaints from folk who are having problems.

My works absolutely fine. Don't see the downside to them, you can easily see what is costing you money and never have to submit readings.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I’m very happy for you, Hibbyradge , I’m only highlighting my experience and know that quite a few of my friends and acquaintances are really dissatisfied with the system. If you are unlucky enough to get lumbered with meters which do not work, you can end up with grossly inaccurate estimated readings. The premise that these meters offer the customer detailed information about their domestic usage is a ‘come on’ and smokescreen. Their fundamental motive is to save money paying thousands of door to door meter readers. Despite folk like you who are happy with the system, I continually hear complaints from folk who are having problems.
    That's a pity because I think they do make a difference in the way we use power.

As an aside, I haven't had a visit from a meter reader in 5 years. I've sent my own readings and the occasional photograph of the meters themselves.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Jim44;7466924you can not revert back to conventional meters.[/QUOTE]

In my case when my gas smart meter display stopped working Bulb replaced the meter with an old refurbished mechanical gas meter, my meters are in a cupboard in my living room and was noticeably noisy when the room was quiet so only had it a for a short time, complained about the noise and got new smart meters.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Maybe worded poorly...

I have an indoor electricity meter and outdoor gas meter - both are meant to be smart and sync to the Shell account but only the gas (outdoor) one does, the electric (indoor) one is broken and I am supposed to check it and input manually.
    Mon the Hibs.

My electric meter (pay as you go) stopped working after a power cut in 2020. It went into a bypass mode so I’ve never needed to top it up. I’ve phoned British Gas about it needing fixed about 10 times and went round in circles because it’s technically working ie I have electricity.

I’ve been putting away the money that I would usually use to top the meter up as they will no doubt send me 3 years worth of bills but I have to admit it’s getting very tempting to spend the money now.

Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    My electric meter (pay as you go) stopped working after a power cut in 2020. It went into a bypass mode so I’ve never needed to top it up. I’ve phoned British Gas about it needing fixed about 10 times and went round in circles because it’s technically working ie I have electricity.

I’ve been putting away the money that I would usually use to top the meter up as they will no doubt send me 3 years worth of bills but I have to admit it’s getting very tempting to spend the money now.
    It must be tempting, but don't spend it or "borrow" from it. You know that they'll come looking for payment at exactly the worst time for you.

They will, however, accept arrears in installments because they've caused the problem.

In the meantime, if you haven't already, open as high an interest account as you can, even if it's a notice account, and make a bit of cash that way. e.g. NS&I are paying 6.2% in a 12 month fixed term account.

Milk it, legally, responsibly, and cleverly. 👍

It must be tempting, but don't spend it or "borrow" from it. You know that they'll come looking for payment at exactly the worst time for you.

They will, however, accept arrears in installments because they've caused the problem.

In the meantime, if you haven't already, open as high an interest account as you can, even if it's a notice account, and make a bit of cash that way. e.g. NS&I are paying 6.2% in a 12 month fixed term account.

Milk it, legally, responsibly, and cleverly. 👍
    Sound advice and much more sensible than my ideas. Thank you 👍🏻