hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member

Portobello outdoor swimming pool

Anyone have memories of swimming in this legendary pool ? As kids we used it every weekend where we would traipse from Leith to this vastly impressive outdoor swimming arena

I think at the time it was 5p to enter and 2p for your locker in which you had your key in a rubber wrist band, we would normally pocket our bus fares to enable a purchase of a poke of hot chips to help us thaw out. I was never brave enough to tackle the raft or wave machine which was impressive to say the least, preferring to splash about knee deep at the shallow end for safety sake

The Pool fell into a long and controversial decline, with the closure of the power station in 1978 removing what little heat there was for the water. The 1979 season turned out to be the last and demolition was finally approved in 1988

At one point ideas were being floated around with regards Meadowbank Thistle changing use to a football stadium as infrastructure was very much in place but plans never even got to the drawing board stage

The pool, which opened in 1936, was the largest outdoor facility of its kind in Europe. The Pool was enormous; 330 feet long by 150 feet wide – the equivalent of two Olympic sized pools – and varied in depth from one foot to six feet two inches at the deep end. Six thousand spectators could be accommodated, with 2,000 seats available under a cantilevered stand
    Last edited by Bridge hibs; 24-08-2023 at 09:15 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone have memories of swimming in this legendary pool ? As kids we used it every weekend where we would traipse from Leith to this vastly impressive outdoor swimming arena

I think at the time it was 5p to enter and 2p for your locker in which you had your key in a rubber wrist band, we would normally pocket our bus fares to enable a purchase of a poke of hot chips to help us thaw out. I was never brave enough to tackle the raft or wave machine which was impressive to say the least, preferring to splash about knee deep at the shallow end for safety sake

Sadly the place became sparsely used and doors were closed for good in 98 I think and thereafter becoming derelict before finally being demolished

At one point ideas were being floated around with regards Meadowbank Thistle changing use to a football stadium as infrastructure was very much in place but plans never even got to the drawing board stage

The pool, which opened in 1936, was the largest outdoor facility of its kind in Europe. The Pool was enormous; 330 feet long by 150 feet wide – the equivalent of two Olympic sized pools – and varied in depth from one foot to six feet two inches at the deep end. Six thousand spectators could be accommodated, with 2,000 seats available under a cantilevered stand
    Used it loads throughout our youth, lived just up the road and was usually very busy in the summer, what a resource it was for the area at the time. The diving boards were a challenge and the massive great raft thing being chucked about in the waves was brilliant. So many good memories of when we went there as a pack of kids from the "scheme" up the road.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Used it loads throughout our youth, lived just up the road and was usually very busy in the summer, what a resource it was for the area at the time. The diving boards were a challenge and the massive great raft thing being chucked about in the waves was brilliant. So many good memories of when we went there as a pack of kids from the "scheme" up the road.

Ive edited my post above mate with regards the closing/demolition dates

I never went near the diving boards, I was a total ***** bag 🤣 it was a great day out though and summer holidays were spent in that pool

Ive edited my post above mate with regards the closing/demolition dates

I never went near the diving boards, I was a total ***** bag it was a great day out though and summer holidays were spent in that pool
    I couldnt be sure about dates myself, had long since left the area but made many return visits to the site and it seemed to be left unused and run down forever.

No way would I do now what we did as kids back in the day that's for sure, too feart/wise now

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    I couldnt be sure about dates myself, had long since left the area but made many return visits to the site and it seemed to be left unused and run down forever.

No way would I do now what we did as kids back in the day that's for sure, too feart/wise now

Even in the shallow end you could feel the power of the waves, must have been brave folk to actually be up at the deep end, even remember folk climbing onto that raft. Looking at some of the old photos it was just an impressive place that even as kids we probably didnt appreciate fully

I have a weird phobia of diving boards, I dream about them pretty much every night and not in a good way.

The old photos of this place fascinate and freak me out.

Am I right in thinking that this was where "the Pitz" is / was?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I have a weird phobia of diving boards, I dream about them pretty much every night and not in a good way.

The old photos of this place fascinate and freak me out.

Am I right in thinking that this was where "the Pitz" is / was?
    Yes, Power station was to the left walking down West Bank street and the former outdoor pool, now the Pitz/Power league is to the right. I remember chat at the time when I played 5s there that they were talking about demolishing it for flats

There's a small campaign that started from almost a throw away thread on Twitter for a lido at Seafield. I was sceptical at first but by the time I had read the whole thing I was convinced it had to happen. https://twitter.com/gordycarmichael/...40165455822848

The village (really town now) that my wife grew up in down south still has an old lido and it's amazing. Used all year round by a hugely varied clientele.

Too young to remember the old Portobello pool but the pictures always amaze me as to how big it was. It would be great to see some kind of facility in Edinburgh again.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Yes, Power station was to the left walking down West Bank street and the former outdoor pool, now the Pitz/Power league is to the right. I remember chat at the time when I played 5s there that they were talking about demolishing it for flats
    Thanks very much for this, I used to play football there as well and couldn't really ever get my bearings based on the pictures I'd seen.

I actually just did a little bit of googling and came across a Facebook page called "Portobello Power Station - Compiled By Frank Brash" which has loads of good pictures of the power station and the pool including some excellent aerial shots. You don't seem to need to be on Facebook or to log in to view them.

https://www.facebook.com/frankhbrash/

https://www.capitalcollections.org.u...=1692873195843

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Thanks very much for this, I used to play football there as well and couldn't really ever get my bearings based on the pictures I'd seen.

I actually just did a little bit of googling and came across a Facebook page called "Portobello Power Station - Compiled By Frank Brash" which has loads of good pictures of the power station and the pool including some excellent aerial shots. You don't seem to need to be on Facebook or to log in to view them.

https://www.facebook.com/frankhbrash/
    Those photos are a treasure, looking at that area in general it was one of a kind, Portobello beach in its pomp was fantastic and looking at very old photos and seeing the old pier at the foot of Bath Street, Victorian ladies and Gents dressed up and looking resplendent for an afternoon stroll along the promenade, the fairground, deck chairs and donkey rides

The fantastic heated (although debateable 🤣) open air swimming pool which the late Sean Connery was a life guard

The spectacular red bricked power station that towered over the pool

The Portobello Potteries with one remaining kiln still existing

The old ancient harbour walls that were exposed when building new housing, yes Portobello had a harbour many decades ago !!

Marine Gardens Stadium that hosted football, speedway, ballroom dancing amongst many other events

How all that has changed now eh

@hibs.net private member
    Portobello harbour

The ordinary ebb and flow of coastal sediments at Portobello beach has temporarily exposed the outline of the old harbour and sea walls. Though the existence of the harbour has been well documented – particularly in light of rescue archaeology work undertaken for the Harbour Green residential development – the seaward side is usually covered by sand.

An unusually large winter transport of sediments has revealed the base and masonry of the outer harbour walls, which have not previously been subject to archaeological survey.

The stone harbour was built at the instance of Edinburgh architect and builder William Jameson during 1787-88 in order to sustain the industries that were then mining the clay beds of the Figgate Burn.

As well as providing a limited haven for fishing boats, the harbour was mainly designed to export brick, tile and earthenware goods; it also enabled the import of local coal.

Jameson hired local contractor Alexander Robertson, the lessee of nearby Joppa Quarry, from where the stone was obtained.

The development of the harbour tied the then tiny village of the Portobello into much wider industrial networks, not only within the Forth region but also further afield, with Cornish whiteware clay imported for the local ceramic trade.

As is clear from the exposed outlines, the walls were not thick, storms took their toll and the harbour fell into disuse. The advent of the railway likely provided Portobello’s kilns with alternative access to markets and raw materials.

‘Portobello, in spite of its name, is no seaport’, noted one gazeteer in 1842. It ‘neither has, nor probably ever will have, any sea-ward trade. A small harbour was constructed at the mouth of the Figgate burn, by Mr Jameson, soon after his discovery of the clay bed; but it never was of any use except for boats, and is now completely ruinous.

Some interesting information re Portobello here.

https://www.allaboutedinburgh.co.uk/...Puerto%20Bello.

Portobello harbour

The ordinary ebb and flow of coastal sediments at Portobello beach has temporarily exposed the outline of the old harbour and sea walls. Though the existence of the harbour has been well documented – particularly in light of rescue archaeology work undertaken for the Harbour Green residential development – the seaward side is usually covered by sand.

An unusually large winter transport of sediments has revealed the base and masonry of the outer harbour walls, which have not previously been subject to archaeological survey.

The stone harbour was built at the instance of Edinburgh architect and builder William Jameson during 1787-88 in order to sustain the industries that were then mining the clay beds of the Figgate Burn.

As well as providing a limited haven for fishing boats, the harbour was mainly designed to export brick, tile and earthenware goods; it also enabled the import of local coal.

Jameson hired local contractor Alexander Robertson, the lessee of nearby Joppa Quarry, from where the stone was obtained.

The development of the harbour tied the then tiny village of the Portobello into much wider industrial networks, not only within the Forth region but also further afield, with Cornish whiteware clay imported for the local ceramic trade.

As is clear from the exposed outlines, the walls were not thick, storms took their toll and the harbour fell into disuse. The advent of the railway likely provided Portobello’s kilns with alternative access to markets and raw materials.

‘Portobello, in spite of its name, is no seaport’, noted one gazeteer in 1842. It ‘neither has, nor probably ever will have, any sea-ward trade. A small harbour was constructed at the mouth of the Figgate burn, by Mr Jameson, soon after his discovery of the clay bed; but it never was of any use except for boats, and is now completely ruinous.
    There's an old map of Portobello on the ceiling of the Guild of Forresters pub/bistro/restaurant (whatever you'd like to call it). It shows Portobello harbour.

Back to the pool. I loved the waves, the diving boards and the raft but the diving platforms were something I could never do and it was a long time climbing back down 😆

I never once witnessed the water being anything but blumming freezing. I'm surprised the raft wasn't sunk by icebergs!
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar

The Pool fell into a long and controversial decline, with the closure of the power station in 1978 removing what little heat there was for the water. The 1979 season turned out to be the last and demolition was finally approved in 1988

Completely stunned at the suggestion there was ever any heat in that water!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Yeah likewise, would probably have been warmer swimming in the sea 😃

There was something in the water but not sure you would call it heat

Sir Matt Busby

Loved that pool, had many a great summer down there (well more like 2-3 weeks of sun), used to spend all my money and had to walk all the way back to the Links, hated that long walk along Seafield.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Loved that pool, had many a great summer down there (well more like 2-3 weeks of sun), used to spend all my money and had to walk all the way back to the Links, hated that long walk along Seafield.
    Exact same mate, me and my Wife drove along that road from Leith to Musselburgh yesterday and thats when I thought of that long walk both ways to and from the pool

We also spent our bus fares on chips and juice with no afterthought of that long trudge back. That road from and back to Leith was a very long and dusty walk and it must have been and probably still is one of the most depressingly and dustiest roads in Edinburgh

When we got home from the pool we were manky and Mum questioned if we had actually been swimming. That road hasnt changed, its still minging 🤣

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    I only ever went once to the pool, I remember thinking the showers were freezing before going into the pool and vividly recall walking out and wondering why there were so many people sitting around the pool but nobody actually in it.
    I didn’t think twice, I walked up to the edge and jumped in at the deep end, I consider myself to be a good strong swimmer. I have never experienced a shock of hitting the cold water like that ever, it came in two waves first when I hit the water and secondly when I was fully submerged it completely took my breath away, I honestly thought I’m in trouble here and struggled back to the surface and climbed out. There were a few smiling faces when I got out and I went straight back to the showers which now felt lovely and warm and left. Probably my shortest ever visit to a swimming pool.

As an aside there is an open air pool in Stonehaven which is still open to the public. I worked in Aberdeen for many years and commuted from Stonehaven but have never had the courage to try their open air pool.

Great photos. No "thyroid" issues in those days affecting waistlines 🙃

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    As a non swimmer at the time I was only ever in the shallow end. However I was there a lot as my dad supplied the pies for the cafe at the pool Mr Cassidy ran it and had the Chippy/restaurants the foot of Bath St. Dad also supplied the rolls and pies for the Winter Shows at Waverley. It was good wandering round when it wasn't opened behind the scenes...

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

Have seen photos of this many times on social media. What I find odd is that there was giant swimming pool near to the sea. Not just that but it was in Scotland. Seemed a bit strange given we don’t exactly get the weather for outdoor swimming pools.

Looked impressive though from what I’ve seen in photos/heard from those who lived locally.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Hibee View Post
    Have seen photos of this many times on social media. What I find odd is that there was giant swimming pool near to the sea. Not just that but it was in Scotland. Seemed a bit strange given we don’t exactly get the weather for outdoor swimming pools.

Looked impressive though from what I’ve seen in photos/heard from those who lived locally.
    From memory of my childhood I always remembered summers being like actual summers, there wasnt a day we didnt visit the pool or Portobello prom/beach when we were on school holidays or at weekends, I think climate change has definitely played a part or even played a part in the pools latter year with dwindling numbers attending. It wasnt just a pool, they had gala balls, dancing, function rooms and tea rooms

The sea at that time was quite heavily polluted as Seafield sewerage works and the Eastern General hospital as well as local businesses pumped raw sewerage into the sea, that in turn gave Portobello, Leith and Edinburgh residents the opportunity to swim in freshly heated water

However heated being the operative word and I dont think there is a living person who used that pool who could ever say it was ever heated 🥶

One of the pool’s many unique selling points was the heated water, allowing the pool to be open from the month of May through to September every year until the outbreak of World War II in 1939. Construction on a site next to the coal-fired Portobello Power Station meant the pool could be maintained at a temperature of 20 degrees, however most accounts of the water temperature ranged from icy cold to sub-Siberian

From memory of my childhood I always remembered summers being like actual summers, there wasnt a day we didnt visit the pool or Portobello prom/beach when we were on school holidays or at weekends, I think climate change has definitely played a part or even played a part in the pools latter year with dwindling numbers attending. It wasnt just a pool, they had gala balls, dancing, function rooms and tea rooms

The sea at that time was quite heavily polluted as Seafield sewerage works and the Eastern General hospital as well as local businesses pumped raw sewerage into the sea, that in turn gave Portobello, Leith and Edinburgh residents the opportunity to swim in freshly heated water

However heated being the operative word and I dont think there is a living person who used that pool who could ever say it was ever heated 🥶

One of the pool’s many unique selling points was the heated water, allowing the pool to be open from the month of May through to September every year until the outbreak of World War II in 1939. Construction on a site next to the coal-fired Portobello Power Station meant the pool could be maintained at a temperature of 20 degrees, however most accounts of the water temperature ranged from icy cold to sub-Siberian
    Fair enough. Didn’t appreciate the sewage part.

Also this was a time when people didn’t go abroad on holiday etc. I guess when people did start doing that in the 70s that maybe contributed to the decline?

@hibs.net private member

Also this was a time when people didn’t go abroad on holiday etc. I guess when people did start doing that in the 70s that maybe contributed to the decline?
    Package holidays most certainly was the main factor most likely and I think that played a large part of the demise of Portobello as a whole being Scotlands no1 holiday attraction.

I remember trades fortnight or Glasgow fair weeks when Portobello would be literally jammed from Seafield to Joppa, donkey rides and deck chairs on the beach with very little room to swing a cat. The fairground was also an attraction as was the wee shop adjoining the open air pool that sold inflatables, swimming gear, buckets and spades and ice cold slush fruit drinks

Floating sewage wasn't unknown in the pool itself...that's certainly my memory of it in the late 70s when it was probably on its last legs.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Floating sewage wasn't unknown in the pool itself...that's certainly my memory of it in the late 70s when it was probably on its last legs.
    It was a dump by then! 😉