hibs.net Messageboard

Driving Instructors

Posted this on here for myself ages ago and got the name of a driving instructor so I thought I’d try again as the requirements are different

Looking for a driving instructor teaching in a manual car. New driver is 17 and based on the Blackford area of Edinburgh

I appreciate there’s a bit of a backlog and the likes but any recommendations for the above requirements would be great please. Thanks

2. Log in to remove the advert

Its a nightmare to get an instructor and has been for years now. And the quality and reliability of some of the instructors is horrendous.

I ended up buying a cheap runaround and doing lessons in the car with my dad and uncle. You can go out anytime when family are free and at the end of it you'll already have a car, lessons are now £40 a hour, so 40 hours with an instructor is £1,600 and then at end you'll still need to buy a car.

My advice would be, if feasible, buy a cheap car and do lessons with a family member or friend.

I think it's pretty tough to recommend. Different people will click with different instructors.

Fwiw I had great success with Richard at Edinburgh City Driving School. However I recommended him to someone else and they thought he was awful and ended up looking elsewhere.

Thinking back I didn't really need taught to drive. That sounds more arrogant than I mean it to but I had taken lessons in my late teens, sat and failed a test then just never went back. Before going for lessons with him I had been driving my partner's car for months on my provisional (with her obviously). I needed someone to take me on the test routes and brush up on a few things. We were fairly similar in age, had a lot in common and it was going a drive with your mate who occasionally corrected you or gave you a bit advice.

How he would be with a 17 year old I don't know. As I said he worked out well for me, I think I only had 4 lessons before I booked my test and another couple before I sat it and passed so it was a success on that front and he didn't rip me off by giving me any more lessons that I needed.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Richard Singh at iPass Driving School was who I used last year. He was fantastic.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"