hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Kitchens

Kitchens

Anyone had a new kitchen fitted recently? Looking for recommendations of companies to use and best place to buy a new kitchen from.
    Thanks.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Get a good joiner with links to Howdens and use their design service.

Avoid B&Q at all costs.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    And Wren

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Get a good joiner with links to Howdens and use their design service.

Avoid B&Q at all costs.

this is what we did about 18 months ago, joiner who used Howdens, including their design.

happy to pass along the details if you want, they did a great job

@hibs.net private member
    I’ve got a Howdens kitchen. Overall it’s decent enough but their built in appliances are a bit crap imo. Had mine 4 years and the dishwasher is temperamental and the fridge has a couple bits broken and not through carelessness.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    I’ve got a Howdens kitchen. Overall it’s decent enough but their built in appliances are a bit crap imo. Had mine 4 years and the dishwasher is temperamental and the fridge has a couple bits broken and not through carelessness.
    Yeah.. probably Lamona?

It's Howdens own brand and is basically other manufacturers stuff rebranded....

"We have seen cooking, refrigeration products, integrated fridges and freezers from Beko.

Laundry from Candy.

Integrated dishwashers from the usual Chinese suspects of Haier and Midea among others.

Cooking products such as hobs, hoods, ovens and cookers are mainly from Beko and others as well as some appearing from the Glen Dimplex stable for range cookers and freestanding cooking."

From North London Appliances Web page

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    Yeah.. probably Lamona?

"We have seen cooking, refrigeration products, integrated fridges and freezers from Beko.

Laundry from Candy.

Integrated dishwashers from the usual Chinese suspects of Haier and Midea among others.

Cooking products such as hobs, hoods, ovens and cookers are mainly from Beko and others as well as some appearing from the Glen Dimplex stable for range cookers and freestanding cooking."

Yeah it’s Lamona.

Freezer and washing machine have been no bother but the dishwasher and fridge have both been crap.

@hibs.net private member
    We had a designer from Howdens come and look at our kitchen.
    She looked down her nose the whole time at our - admittedly modest - kitchen space.
    We never heard back from her.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    Yeah.. probably Lamona?

Laundry from Candy.

we got our appliances separately (elsewhere) when our kitchen was done, albeit it was howdens that supplied the cabinets, worktops, sink, tap and extractor fan

our designer from howdens was really open about the stuff, said he’d quoted it in for us but if we had seen something cheaper or wanted to check prices there and then with him, he was completely happy to take them out of the quote, said it was about us being happy rather than pushing us to take their equipment

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    We had a designer from Howdens come and look at our kitchen.
    She looked down her nose the whole time at our - admittedly modest - kitchen space.
    We never heard back from her.

that’s shocking - when we spoke to our joiner, he recommended howdens but told us to avoid the local one and use the one at newbridge, said the staff there were far better, tbf they were great for us

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    that’s shocking - when we spoke to our joiner, he recommended howdens but told us to avoid the local one and use the one at newbridge, said the staff there were far better, tbf they were great for us
    We had 2 joiners. One used Newbridge and the other Livingston, both were very good.

A thing to be wary of is that Howdens will only give the price to the joiner. Apparently one joiner added to the price before he gave it to us, a young inexperienced chap. The joiner we went with, an older more experienced chap, gave the ok for us to basically deal direct with Howdens so we got the genuine Howdens price.
    Space to let

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Pentland Kitchens are excellent. Good Hibby as well. Great guy.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    We had 2 joiners. One used Newbridge and the other Livingston, both were very good.

A thing to be wary of is that Howdens will only give the price to the joiner. Apparently one joiner added to the price before he gave it to us, a young inexperienced chap. The joiner we went with, an older more experienced chap, gave the ok for us to basically deal direct with Howdens so we got the genuine Howdens price.

yeah our joiner ok’d howdens dealing directly with us, which was helpful and efficient.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    We got on with Wren earlier this year and I couldn't fault them. I have also never had a new kitchen before so that my only experience.

However it was all done great, a guy came out and measured the place. A lady then designed the kitchen with the options we chose to the point we could then go into the V.R room and visualise it all, make changes etc and literally see how it all looked and felt.

They also had a policy that whatever deal you get at the time, up until you pay for the final fit about 6/8 weeks before delivery you can go in and they will re apply any current deal thats on. For example if the current deal was 30% off kitchen work tops when you pay the deposit, and 3 weeks later they have a deal on for 50% off work tops you can go in and they re calculate the current deal to your kitchen.

We went in to do tweaks for about 4 months or so (we were taking a wall down and some other things so the timescale was maybe a bit longer than most) but everytime we did we had other deals added so ended up saving about 2k form what we thought we would originally pay.

The thing I wasn't too keen on at first was the cost of them fitting it was not much off what we ended up paying for the kitchen so decided to get our own fitters at first, but tbh the several quotes we did get were only about 1 to 1.5k cheaper than wren. And with Wren doing it we had the added protection of a longer warranty. I cant recall exactly the difference but it was about 5 years iirc so in the end decided it was better to just have them do it.

You can go through all the process of first design until the deposit bit and once paid they will then give you the full detailed plans so your able to check the price with your own fitters if you wish, but you can go back at anypoint and add them to do fitting also if you feel its the better option.

I know its a bit like the DFS Sale thats always on but in the end including fitting, we paid less that half price by a fair bit as to what the kitchen alone would have cost 'at retail'

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Another vote for Wren. I think it’s probably more expensive than it should be, but I love my kitchen and had nae faults with it.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Back in the day, both me and my mate, I’m a joiner he’s a spark but we had both left the trade and worked in Jenners. We were asked by a member of staff if we could do kitchens, to cut a long story short we done one then word spread and another few followed, we used to do the fitting for 50% of any fitting quotes they had from B&Q etc. it was a great sideline, we just paid a plumber and the rest was ours! 😀

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    We got our kitchen from wren, dont have any complaints, they were a bit more expensive than the other places we looked at but the quality is good