hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar

Best Recommendations you've ever received

Mine would be the Blindboy Podcast and Bill Douglas's films....and Lankum, Death Grips and Meshuggah...also, Desi Pakwan at the bottom of Leith Walk. And Comte cheese.

Would like to recommend to anyone who cares the album 'Carry Them With Us' by Brighde Chaimbeul. It's an album of Scottish small-pipe music, with Colin Stetson doing mad stuff on the sax...cannot describe how good it is. Try 'Tha Fonn Gun Bhi Trom' as a way in:

2. Log in to remove the advert

Hibs.

Less of a recommendation and more like my auld man telling me I’m a hibby and that’s it but I’m very grateful.

Retro Video Club are a great band as well who were recommended to me years back, love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Le Relais De Venise.

Got recommended it years back and it would now be a death row meal for me. Probably the best thing I’ve ever eaten.

Dundee.

When I was going to university I spoke to someone who went to Dundee and they highly recommended it although I had huge reservations. They gave it the usual "it gets a bad reputation but it's getting better all the time, there's a great wee student community in the West End of the city..." etc which are words I've gone on to repeat many times over myself.

I stayed there for 9 years in the end and they were, without doubt, the best years of my life.

Brilliant, ridiculously under-rated city and I'm led to believe it's even better now than when I was there (started in 1995, left in 2004).

First Team Breakthrough Sloop67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hibs.

Less of a recommendation and more like my auld man telling me I’m a hibby and that’s it but I’m very grateful.

Retro Video Club are a great band as well who were recommended to me years back, love them.

I saw them live earlier this year , great night quality band

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Edinburgh

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Find 5 minutes of patience with your children at bedtime.

My grandads recommendation.

He also recommended reading poetry as a form of mindfulness - not the word he used - and it does work.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Dundee.

When I was going to university I spoke to someone who went to Dundee and they highly recommended it although I had huge reservations. They gave it the usual "it gets a bad reputation but it's getting better all the time, there's a great wee student community in the West End of the city..." etc which are words I've gone on to repeat many times over myself.

I stayed there for 9 years in the end and they were, without doubt, the best years of my life.

Brilliant, ridiculously under-rated city and I'm led to believe it's even better now than when I was there (started in 1995, left in 2004).
    I love Dundee. Brilliant city.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I love Dundee. Brilliant city.
    I do too, gets a bad rep but it’s a great night out

Cold water swimming, particularly in the colder months. Once you’re acclimatised to it, it’s great for dealing with pain caused by inflammation, has helped with my mental health in the winter, and just gives you a good feeling for hours after.

Very glad I was talked into giving it a go.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Cold water swimming, particularly in the colder months. Once you’re acclimatised to it, it’s great for dealing with pain caused by inflammation, has helped with my mental health in the winter, and just gives you a good feeling for hours after.

Very glad I was talked into giving it a go.
    Been getting this recommendation a lot but I’m not built for the cold, mental health has been a bit all over the shop recently so tempted to give it a shot

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Getting off at Haymarket doesnae work.

@hibs.net private member
    A cheap red is always better than a cheap white.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    A cheap red is always better than a cheap white.
    On a similar note, there’s no need to go past £10 for a bottle of red in a shop. Also works with £30 in a restaurant.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Where to live in Dublin when i knew no one moving here (Smithfield)

Try to work with plant medicine which has healed me physically and mentally

Recognise that what isn’t an act of love is a call for love. Really helped me find peace in my own and others behaviours rather than wallowing in negativity about them

Been getting this recommendation a lot but I’m not built for the cold, mental health has been a bit all over the shop recently so tempted to give it a shot

I think it comes from the conscious decision to get in the water, when the cold hits your bits every part of your brain is telling you to not go further, but overcoming it gives a sense of achievement, and once you’re swimming you warm up a bit.

If you want to know a bit more feel free to message me, or look to see if there’s a local club or group to get started.

Further recommendation - if you don’t have a DryRobe or Moonwrap to change under, take an old dressing gown to cover your arse and unmentionables if you’re getting changed after.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

Thats the point, you win the mental battle and after a while you adjust to it and get a bit of exercise. It really does clear the head.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Forgiveness is a choice.

The ‘Happy Valley’ Chinese in York.

Benriach 12 year old, sherry cask.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Dundee.

Can’t comment on life as a student in Dundee but it’s great for a day or night out. Decent pubs, much cheaper than Edinburgh and less dick heads than Edinburgh (or Glasgow).

Quote Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
    Can’t comment on life as a student in Dundee but it’s great for a day or night out. Decent pubs, much cheaper than Edinburgh and less dick heads than Edinburgh (or Glasgow).
    Less tourists too, easier to get served at the bar and you don’t have to listen to some 70 year old American bloke telling everyone that he’s the descendant of Robert the Bruce or whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    On a similar note, there’s no need to go past £10 for a bottle of red in a shop. Also works with £30 in a restaurant.
    Generally you get what you pay for with wine. The supermarket ones from upward of £10 tend to be stronger - 14% - so maybe that's the big selling point!
    For really beautiful wine you have to tour around the French growing areas. But that's a world away from Tesco and Edinburgh restaurants.

Say 'yes' far more often than you say 'no'.

Even if you're not sure about taking them on, new experiences, new skills, new friends, and the like will lead to far more opportunities than sticking in your comfort zone.

Say 'yes' far more often than you say 'no'.

Even if you're not sure about taking them on, new experiences, new skills, new friends, and the like will lead to far more opportunities than sticking in your comfort zone.
    No

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Getting off at Haymarket doesnae work.
    You're not doing it right!!😂😂😂

Worked a charm for a great many years!

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    ‘Buy a house at the maximum you can afford when starting on the property ladder.’ - my mum.

‘Come with me to Coasters to see this great new band called The Pogues.’ A good pal who I still sit next to at ER.

‘Take a year out and visit Australia.’ Aussie pal who stayed in my Leith flat for a bit.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Be polite to anyone you meet at any level in an organisation and treat them with respect. Just generally to have good manners. It's something people notice, possibly subconsciously at times, but they notice all the same.

I read a post on Twitter earlier that showed a picture of the fines for Birmingham players. One of them was £250 for not saying good morning to reception staff when arriving for training. Some people found that really funny or even argued it wasn't fair. I think it's brilliant, instilling courtesy and respect right through an organisation. I wonder what type of person doesn't say good morning to the person they first see when arriving for work tbh. I'm always the first of the sales staff in my office and it's usually the cleaners before me, I wouldn't dream of not saying good morning and asking how their day is.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Be polite to anyone you meet at any level in an organisation and treat them with respect. Just generally to have good manners. It's something people notice, possibly subconsciously at times, but they notice all the same.

I read a post on Twitter earlier that showed a picture of the fines for Birmingham players. One of them was £250 for not saying good morning to reception staff when arriving for training. Some people found that really funny or even argued it wasn't fair. I think it's brilliant, instilling courtesy and respect right through an organisation. I wonder what type of person doesn't say good morning to the person they first see when arriving for work tbh. I'm always the first of the sales staff in my office and it's usually the cleaners before me, I wouldn't dream of not saying good morning and asking how their day is.

Similar, not similar but I remember seeing a video on twitter when man city were finishing there warm up and were throwing bibs at one of the backroom staff. Haaland was the only one that went over and handed him the bin.

Really irks me people not thanking waiting/serving staff. My kids get a bollocking if they don't (which is harsh as they are kids). Manners don't cost a thing

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Maybe done already but don't miss an opportunity to go for a wee. Anyone stuck on the bypass on a Sunday knows....

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    Similar, not similar but I remember seeing a video on twitter when man city were finishing there warm up and were throwing bibs at one of the backroom staff. Haaland was the only one that went over and handed him the bin.

Really irks me people not thanking waiting/serving staff. My kids get a bollocking if they don't (which is harsh as they are kids). Manners don't cost a thing
    Did Gordon Strachan not say something similar about John McGinn when he was just a laddie - Not sure if it was the u21's, or full team and he was called up. Kit man was struggling with the bags off the bus and only JM went to see if he wanted a hand. Made the right impression with GS