hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Doidge

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Look, it was the first friendly. If Doidge is the answer then we're in trouble he just isnt good enough for where we need to be. We (quite rightly) get upset with our Scottish football is the pub league tab. Most English football fans would piss themselves to death at an spl club leading with Alf and Doidge.
    We need to be at a better level.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    By all accounts he's settled in Edinburgh and likely more than happy to run out his contract as a backup player. Works for me.
    Not sure what kind of money he’s on, but if nothing extravagant then a decent alternative be that as an occasional starter or tactical change from bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto7062 View Post
    he's no finished 🤣🤣
    You're right, he's Welsh.😉

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Look, it was the first friendly. If Doidge is the answer then we're in trouble he just isnt good enough for where we need to be. We (quite rightly) get upset with our Scottish football is the pub league tab. Most English football fans would piss themselves to death at an spl club leading with Alf and Doidge.
    We need to be at a better level.
    2 guys with hundreds of goals in England between them? Why would that be so funny?

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    At a lower league level mate. If youre happy leading with Doidge and Alf then fair enough. Get back to me latter in the season with their contributions.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    If there's any truth in the Levitt stuff I think Doidge could be used in that deal. No doubt he would easily get double figures in the Championship, maybe 20 goals. They've lost Fletcher as well so will need a striker.

Love the big man, but we need to be aiming for better.

Chuffed he played well today though. And if he ends up staying we could do far worse than him as a backup.

Doidge looked very good today and it's obvious ALF has class.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Doidge looked very good today and it's obvious ALF has class.
    Doidge gets an assist and scores twice yet folk don't want to give him any credit.

Minds are made up.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Doidge gets an assist and scores twice yet folk don't want to give him any credit.

Minds are made up.
    Has Doidge been a good servant for Hibs? YES
    Could we do better? YES - although in the markets we work in that's always easier said than done.

Doidge showed a good bit of form for Killie towards the end of last season - helping push them over the line to survival. He's a good character, gets into good positions and works his socks off for the team - but he always did lack a bit of quality in front of goal and I'm sure that's what has the likes of Hermit Crab wailing and gnashing their teeth - or whatever it is crustaceans do their gnashing with.
    He's a useful player at SPL level without being a star - would absolutely shine in the Championship though and I can see him going there as a part exchange for Levit in a move that would make sense for all parties.

Is there any actual harm in him being a squad option for the remainder of his contract?

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Is there any actual harm in him being a squad option for the remainder of his contract?
    If you ignore his salary then probably not.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Fair play to the big man he has probably put himself back into the Manager’s thoughts with his display yesterday

If he can get back to the Doidgerinho who chipped in with 1:3 goals and did a shift all over the park for the cause precovid and serious injury I would have no problem with keeping him as a squad player but would still be looking to bring in a quality replacement for Nisbet

I trust Johnson and his team to make the correct call on this one

He certainly seems to be showing the commitment and desire we are looking for

Excellent assist for the Dan Mackay goal two good strikes and unlucky not to get a hat-trick in only 45 minutes by all accounts
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 02-07-2023 at 06:26 AM.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I like Doidge, hope he plays his way back into the mix. Even before he hit a scoring streak he was still doing all the right things and contributing to the team which seemed to go largely underappreciated.
    Mon the Hibs.

Give the ball to Doidge and he will score

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    By all accounts he's settled in Edinburgh and likely more than happy to run out his contract as a backup player. Works for me.
    And he has every right to do so. I would hope that B McD has some oversight into Doidge's future.

Doidge should be gone from Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    At a lower league level mate. If youre happy leading with Doidge and Alf then fair enough. Get back to me latter in the season with their contributions.
    I didnt say that. I asked why English fans would piss themselves at Hibs having 2 strikers with hundreds of goals in their leagues?

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    Has Doidge been a good servant for Hibs? YES
    Could we do better? YES - although in the markets we work in that's always easier said than done.

Doidge showed a good bit of form for Killie towards the end of last season - helping push them over the line to survival. He's a good character, gets into good positions and works his socks off for the team - but he always did lack a bit of quality in front of goal and I'm sure that's what has the likes of Hermit Crab wailing and gnashing their teeth - or whatever it is crustaceans do their gnashing with.
    He's a useful player at SPL level without being a star - would absolutely shine in the Championship though and I can see him going there as a part exchange for Levit in a move that would make sense for all parties.

could see Dundee Utd wanting him, would rather they took someone like Henderson than Doidge though

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Doidge hat trick against hearts in a win that sees Fish playing the sauzee role and Levitt standing in for Latapy.

I love Doidge, I’m just generally amazed at his inability to strike the ball cleanly. I would reckon only about 20% of his goals hit the back of the net without bouncing first. It’s a skill few footballers have !

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    could see Dundee Utd wanting him, would rather they took someone like Henderson than Doidge though
    Maybe both, I'm sure we will try to use players in any negotiation for Levitt, whether DU want any of them is another matter

Quote Originally Posted by Gmack7 View Post
    Maybe both, I'm sure we will try to use players in any negotiation for Levitt, whether DU want any of them is another matter

very true

was just thinking that I could see Doidge having a more positive impact across a season than Henderson, and would allow us to change how we’re playing if we wanted to

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    How much are we paying him?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Doidge hat trick against hearts in a win that sees Fish playing the sauzee role and Levitt standing in for Latapy.

I love Doidge, I’m just generally amazed at his inability to strike the ball cleanly. I would reckon only about 20% of his goals hit the back of the net without bouncing first. It’s a skill few footballers have !
    How many times have we seen the ball break across the face of the goal or bounce in the box but no Hibs player gets to it? Doidge had the uncanny ability to get into the right positions to let it bounce off his shin or knee into the goal.

A goal's a goal.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    How many times have we seen the ball break across the face of the goal or bounce in the box but no Hibs player gets to it? Doidge had the uncanny ability to get into the right positions to let it bounce off his shin or knee into the goal.

A goal's a goal.
    The best arse shin knee ankle finisher since Cubby

Adopts the correct positions as he proved at Killie with not always the end result

Still need a quality main striker imho

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Have we got any actual visibility on where his salary ranks on our club's scale?

What are our main targets this year.

I reckon they are 3rd in the League and reaching the group stages of the Europa Conference League.

A player like Doidge is nowhere near the quality we need to achieve this. I'm not targeting just Doidge as this thread is dedicated to him, but there are loads of others in the squad clearly not at the level we need.

The recruitment team have a huge amount of work still to do for us to get anywhere near our targets for this season.

Sorry but Doidge is not good enough. If he wants to see the end of his contract fine. It's likely he along with numerous other players we have, for example Henderson, Tavares & McKirdy may do the same and will be on the periphery of the squad.

When Doidge does go it won't be to a Championship club England. It will be 4th tier or possibly non-league.

That's the level he is at now. If Doidge is in and around the 1st team then it will prove we have not signed better players so we will get nowhere near the Europa Group stages or 3rd in the league.

Doidge will be away by the time the window closes. For the same reason as last year…. We’ll want to use his wages to fund better players.

In the meantime he will get a good pre season and be available if we need him.

I think the likes of Dundee or Motherwell will likely take him

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Doidge will be away by the time the window closes. For the same reason as last year…. We’ll want to use his wages to fund better players.

In the meantime he will get a good pre season and be available if we need him.

I think the likes of Dundee or Motherwell will likely take him
    Yip, he scored a hat trick in the league cup group stages last season then was punted not long after. He'll be one of the top earners I'd be astounded if he's not away before the end of the window.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Have we got any actual visibility on where his salary ranks on our club's scale?
    No idea what he’s being paid but did we not spend 150k on him? I’d think with a fee like that from us he’ll be up around top earners in the squad

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Doidge as backup would have contributed more than the backup strikers we had to rely on last season, particularly when Myko and Nisbet were out.

We need a few more players who can come off the bench and nab a handful of goals each season as a reliable backup. Doidge is good enough to play that role.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction