hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And also knowing that a non OF challenger will be blasted by the end of those runs. No way randomly should we be seeing a rangers / Celtic / Hearts triple header.

J
    Said it for years should one year be a miracle challenge to the title for anyone outside the uglies

The fact they have to play them 8 times sums up how flawed this league is.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    7 games in December, 2 in January, absolute nonsense (imo).

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by plhibs View Post
    We will have a cup game as well so 3 in January. The 7 in December is madness

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    They had all these teams away first last season
    Aw ok !

👍

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    We will have a cup game as well so 3 in January. The 7 in December is madness
    3 in August, 3 in October and 7 in December. Absolutely crazy.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    3 in August, 3 in October and 7 in December. Absolutely crazy.
    League Cup in August, internationals in October

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Doesn’t anyone know what the plan is for the Reserve League and Cup for next season
    There weren’t nearly enough games last season. Think only 10 teams were in the League. Hope they can get at least 6/8 more and have lots more games

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    8 games in December, 2 in Janaury. I still really struggle to understand the point of the winter break when all it means is cramming 8 matches in to the one of the busiest and most expensive months of the year.
    Me too mate. In December folk have work nights out, Christmas presents to buy etc ... only the SPFL could schedule 7 games for the most expensive month of the year.

Mentioned this towards the end of last season when we were hit with a heavy run of games . 7 games in December is absolute madness , you'd think that there would be some way of staggering them out better.

Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    Does it really matter? Everyone plays the same teams.

We have better runs elsewhere so it evens its self out.
    When you think about it we are 'almost' just as likely to lose to either of the arse cheeks at home as away. Better two home games against the likes of Ross County or Kilmarnock and one away to them pre split .... IMO it gives us a far better chance of making the top 6. If we can improve our home form from last year that is, we dropped far too many points at ER to clubs we should be beating at home.

Plus Europe 😁

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    The Rangers get Celtic Hearts Aberdeen and Hibs all at home in Q1

Someone high up must be on them to win the League

Corrupt or what ?
    Rangers had all those teams twice away before the split last season. Celtic had us, Hearts, Aberdeen and Rangers at home in the first quarter last season.

Was that corrupt in favour of Celtic?
    Last edited by Steve20; 30-06-2023 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Rangers had all those teams twice away before the split last season. Celtic had us, Hearts, Aberdeen and Rangers at home in the first quarter last season.

Was that corrupt in favour of Celtic?
    It's certainly ridiculous when you consider that means getting four of the most likely teams to finish in the top six at home in the first and third round of fixtures, so at least one of them will have to make a third trip to Ibrox this year/Parkhead last year.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    It's certainly ridiculous when you consider that means getting four of the most likely teams to finish in the top six at home in the first and third round of fixtures, so at least one of them will have to make a third trip to Ibrox this year/Parkhead last year.
    This is why the way the league works just now is fundamentally unfair and why a bigger league is required.

If you had a 14 team league with the first round of fixtures home and away that would give each club 26 matches. You then split into a top 7 and bottom 7 playing each other home and away ... that would give each club a total of 38 games 19 home and 19 away.

After the split each club would have to sit out a match day due to the uneven number of teams, the fixtures could be arranged so that the club that finishes 8th in the league after the first 26 games sits out the last day of the season .... the chances of that club being involved in the relegation dogfight if history is anything to go by are next to none, so it would more or less nullify any chances of two clubs colluding on the last day to engineer a result that would see them both avoid relegation or a relegation play off at the expense of the non playing club.

Similarly with the top 7 ..... the club finishing the regular 26 game season in 7th place sits out the last day and takes it's chances. Yes it could result in a last day game where both clubs know a draw would get them a European place at the expense of the 7th placed club, but that's a possibility even in the current system ... see Hibs v Rangers a few years back ... and it would be the price the 7th placed club has to accept for finishing behind the other 6 in the regular season.

No it's not perfect, but it maintains the 38 game season and stops this farce of an uneven home and away set of fixtures prior to the split.

In fact, in such circumstances you could even have a prize for the club finishing top of the league after the first 26 matches .... two leagues for the price of one if you like .... yes i know it would go to one of the usual suspects before anybody comments
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 30-06-2023 at 11:00 PM.

I have a flight on 6 August at 18:55. Has anyone else gone straight from a game to the airport? I'm thinking it is should be almost doable to walk away from the stadium a bit, jump in an Uber or cab and get to the airport by 17:55. My concern is that I will also need to grab a bag and even if I find somewhere near the stadium to leave it, the time spent grabbing it would make catching the flight pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by NYHibby View Post
    I have a flight on 6 August at 18:55. Has anyone else gone straight from a game to the airport? I'm thinking it is should be almost doable to walk away from the stadium a bit, jump in an Uber or cab and get to the airport by 17:55. My concern is that I will also need to grab a bag and even if I find somewhere near the stadium to leave it, the time spent grabbing it would make catching the flight pretty close.
    Walk to the tram mate.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This is why the way the league works just now is fundamentally unfair and why a bigger league is required.

If you had a 14 team league with the first round of fixtures home and away that would give each club 26 matches. You then split into a top 7 and bottom 7 playing each other home and away ... that would give each club a total of 38 games 19 home and 19 away.

After the split each club would have to sit out a match day due to the uneven number of teams, the fixtures could be arranged so that the club that finishes 8th in the league after the first 26 games sits out the last day of the season .... the chances of that club being involved in the relegation dogfight if history is anything to go by are next to none, so it would more or less nullify any chances of two clubs colluding on the last day to engineer a result that would see them both avoid relegation or a relegation play off at the expense of the non playing club.

Similarly with the top 7 ..... the club finishing the regular 26 game season in 7th place sits out the last day and takes it's chances. Yes it could result in a last day game where both clubs know a draw would get them a European place at the expense of the 7th placed club, but that's a possibility even in the current system ... see Hibs v Rangers a few years back ... and it would be the price the 7th placed club has to accept for finishing behind the other 6 in the regular season.

No it's not perfect, but it maintains the 38 game season and stops this farce of an uneven home and away set of fixtures prior to the split.

In fact, in such circumstances you could even have a prize for the club finishing top of the league after the first 26 matches .... two leagues for the price of one if you like .... yes i know it would go to one of the usual suspects before anybody comments
    The biggest problem with that though is that it doesn't mean 38 game weeks but 40 to allow for the two bye weeks, and as we've just seen with yesterday's fixture release it's difficult enough to fit in 38 games.

I still stand by the 12-12 splitting into 8-8-8 league that I've been in favour of for close to forty years. 22 games before the split and winter break, then 14 after it. A very fluid promotion/relegation situation so being relegated has less effect than it does under the present situation and that will mean more chance of playing different teams each year in the opening 22 games.

Below that, I'd ask the First and Second Division clubs their view on keeping the current set up, becoming two geographical leagues (reduce travelling costs, travel time for part time players and increase local derbies) or even one league playing each other home and away.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    The biggest problem with that though is that it doesn't mean 38 game weeks but 40 to allow for the two bye weeks, and as we've just seen with yesterday's fixture release it's difficult enough to fit in 38 games.

I still stand by the 12-12 splitting into 8-8-8 league that I've been in favour of for close to forty years. 22 games before the split and winter break, then 14 after it. A very fluid promotion/relegation situation so being relegated has less effect than it does under the present situation and that will mean more chance of playing different teams each year in the opening 22 games.

Below that, I'd ask the First and Second Division clubs their view on keeping the current set up, becoming two geographical leagues (reduce travelling costs, travel time for part time players and increase local derbies) or even one league playing each other home and away.
    If we can fit 7 fixtures into the month of December I'm absolutely positive we could fit another two match days into the season mate. OK you have Europe, at least at the start of the season and international breaks .... but all you are looking for in the end is two midweek match days between the middle of February ( based on the fact that by then Hibs will have played 26 league games next season ) and the end of the season.

BTW .... I'm not averse to the idea of a 16 team league if it could be made to work and if that provides more variety all the better.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    If we can fit 7 fixtures into the month of December I'm absolutely positive we could fit another two match days into the season mate. OK you have Europe, at least at the start of the season and international breaks .... but all you are looking for in the end is two midweek match days between the middle of February ( based on the fact that by then Hibs will have played 26 league games next season ) and the end of the season.

BTW .... I'm not averse to the idea of a 16 team league if it could be made to work and if that provides more variety all the better.
    A 16 team league would work very well and be far more interesting than the present format. Wont happen of course because it denies the tge Glasgow Mafia their four matches against each other not that that should matter as they fill their stadiums every week regardless of who they are playing so shoukdnt mean a loss of earnings.

Personally id create a premier league premier league with just Celtic and Rangers in it and let them play each other 32 times a season. Meanwhile the rest of us can compete in a 16 team SPL.

Sorry if already covered but is it known if the derby at tynie on 7th October will be on TV yet? Can’t find anything about it.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Hibee View Post
    Sorry if already covered but is it known if the derby at tynie on 7th October will be on TV yet? Can’t find anything about it.
    There is a bigger chance, genuinely, of St Mirren v Rangers being the game that's picked.