hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar

Edinburgh Football attendances

Saw that both hibs and hearts averaged over 17,000 this season (our knobby neighbours actually passed 18,000)...just got me thinking, what do folk think the two clubs could reach if they were to be regularly challenging the OF for the league? Obviously it's very unlikely to happen any time soon, but it's an interesting thought in terms of potential fanbase...could both teams be pushing 30k or more in such a scenario?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Saw that both hibs and hearts averaged over 17,000 this season (our knobby neighbours actually passed 18,000)...just got me thinking, what do folk think the two clubs could reach if they were to be regularly challenging the OF for the league? Obviously it's very unlikely to happen any time soon, but it's an interesting thought in terms of potential fanbase...could both teams be pushing 30k or more in such a scenario?
    If we were regularly challenging the Old Firm then our fan base would grow so 30k is probably realistic.

If it was a one off challenge of the Old Firm I reckon we’d be able to sell out our stadium every week but I’m not sure we’d have all that much more missing out.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    One things for sure is that Hearts will never average over 19k because their stadium is small and it doesn't have any possibility for expansion.

First Team Regular OstKurve Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    One things for sure is that Hearts will never average over 19k because their stadium is small and it doesn't have any possibility for expansion.
    Nonsense, 'the famous' have plenty of room for expansion.
    They can easily get 2 rows of dining room chairs all the way round the pitchside, they have dining room chairs in their dug outs so why not ?
    Might even take them over 20k capacity aswell.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by OstKurve Hibs View Post
    Nonsense, 'the famous' have plenty of room for expansion.
    They can easily get 2 rows of dining room chairs all the way round the pitchside, they have dining room chairs in their dug outs so why not ?
    Might even take them over 20k capacity aswell.
    I still piss myself laughing at the dining room chair in the hearts dug out, absolute tramps 🤣

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    I still piss myself laughing at the dining room chair in the hearts dug out, absolute tramps 🤣
    Also that weird bit in the Gorgie Stand that raises up on stilts so the folk in hospitality can get pitch views before a match… presumably only until the turnstiles open 🤣

https://images.app.goo.gl/792nhEVSQoHsN1jL9

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Also that weird bit in the Gorgie Stand that raises up on stilts so the folk in hospitality can get pitch views before a match… presumably only until the turnstiles open 🤣

https://images.app.goo.gl/792nhEVSQoHsN1jL9
    Thats just to let the smell out 🤣

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    You just got to love Attendance FC with their season ticket waiting list and over 20 thou capacity that’s what makes them the big team

They would just build a 24 level gigantistand

BeLIEve what they want. They have never confirmed the official
    capacity since they started building (note- I never mentioned complete as I dint think it is) the bestest single tier main stand with the smallest every seat width to try and boost numbers, and we would all know if it was over 20k as they would talk about it.

19852 is official capacity not 20,099.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    They have one of the Queens Park box stands on order to top the 20k ceiling

Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    We've averaged over 17,000 three times since 1957/58:

2017/18 - 18,124
    2018/19 - 17,741
    2022/23 - 17,427

If Hibs & Hearts were challenging for the title and we switched the Old Firm games and the derby to Murrayfield we could average 50,000 for our 6 games there and let's say 20,000 for our 13 home games at ER, our average would be 29,474.

Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    You just got to love Attendance FC with their season ticket waiting list and over 20 thou capacity that’s what makes them the big team
    Yeah their average attendance was 5% bigger than ours. Yuge team.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Yeah their average attendance was 5% bigger than ours. Yuge team.
    It's more like 7% which will have brought in an extra £300k.
    We need to persuade another 1,000 Hibees to go to home games regularly instead of watching on their hooky fire sticks.
    Last edited by PHeffernan; 27-06-2023 at 09:09 PM.

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    Apparently Hearts ticket office staff have spent the past week phoning the “waiting list” to tell them that they can purchase a season ticket for next season. Obviously that means lots of last season’s attendees haven’t bothered renewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Leith Green View Post
    Apparently Hearts ticket office staff have spent the past week phoning the “waiting list” to tell them that they can purchase a season ticket for next season. Obviously that means lots of last season’s attendees haven’t bothered renewing.
    Is that not the purpose of a waiting list?

Hibs have apparently sold over 11,000 season tickets already so hopefully we will be up on our ST numbers for the last few seasons. Even an extra couple of hundred would be progress.

I remember a survey done many years ago on this subject and confired we share similarities to the Sheffield teams and according to our population, we should be averaging 27,000.

One of the reasons given why we are not achieivng this number was due to the rugby influence in Edinburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Mac View Post
    I remember a survey done many years ago on this subject and confired we share similarities to the Sheffield teams and according to our population, we should be averaging 27,000.

One of the reasons given why we are not achieivng this number was due to the rugby influence in Edinburgh.
    Nonsense. We’re punching above our weight considering we’re in a league largely starved of the riches and exposure offered by king TV. Can anyone really claim that Bournemouth or Brentford are naturally bigger clubs than Hibs or Hearts? If either were playing in the English Premiership they would be looking to Murrayfield for many of the home games, at least in terms of satisfying spectator demand.

Is there no way we can do a Festival Tourist drive? Folk arriving in Edinburgh from football loving nations, maybe put a some Festival packs together: (I have clearly just made the below up so please don;t pick apart!)

- 2 tickets, a signed programme and 2 scarfs - £40
    - 2 tickets, a signed programme, 2 scarfs and a strip - £65
    - 2 tickets, a signed programme, 2 scarfs, a strip, 2 pies and 2 drinks - £75
    - 2 tickets, a signed programme, 2 scarfs, a strip, 2 pies and 2 drinks and a Hibs TV code to watch a match when you are back home - £80

Edinburgh is bursting with folk looking to do things for the whole of August.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm Spartacus View Post
    Is there no way we can do a Festival Tourist drive? Folk arriving in Edinburgh from football loving nations, maybe put a some Festival packs together: (I have clearly just made the below up so please don;t pick apart!)

- 2 tickets, a signed programme, 2 scarfs, a strip, 2 pies and 2 drinks and a Hibs TV code to watch a match when you are back home - £80

Great idea, but we can only get them in the ground if we have a home game against the likes of Ross County etc

Tourists, students plus more girls and women are the groups we need to tap further into.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar

If that was true why are Edinburgh rugbys crowds pathetic?

We all know the reason why Hibs and Hearts aren’t better supported. For a start East Lothian and Edinburgh is crawling with sad, desperate, pathetic Old Firm hangers on. Not supporters, we all know the type who never bother going and couldn’t find Ibrox or Parkhead. The Armchair Loyal and the Barstool Faithful.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar

I think you're massively under-pricing, but the principle is a good one.

Given that a Hibs top alone is probably around £50.00 and a scarf must be a tenner or thereabout we can forget adding on the goods.

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    If that was true why are Edinburgh rugbys crowds pathetic?

We all know the reason why Hibs and Hearts aren’t better supported. For a start East Lothian and Edinburgh is crawling with sad, desperate, pathetic Old Firm hangers on. Not supporters, we all know the type who never bother going and couldn’t find Ibrox or Parkhead. The Armchair Loyal and the Barstool Faithful.
    As i said, i was only qouting an article i read many years ago, so its not my personal opinion about the rugger types.

Agreed about the glory hunters, particulary the ones who have no connection to Glasgow.

Any similarities we share with the circumstances of the two Sheffield clubs begins and ends with population though. By and large both clubs spend their life in the English championship, with making the EPL being seen as massive success and that ambition is a realistic one, unlike that of Hibs and Hearts to win the league. Their opponents are capable in large part of taking up any away allocation these clubs offer them and most of the clubs they play are a bit more of an attraction than Livingston, Kilmarnock or Ross County I would imagine.

In a 24 team league they never meet the same opponent at home in a season, they have variety, whereas a lack of variety in our league has been an ongoing issue, that's no a criticism of our league as such, there are good reasons for it. I'm not saying Sheffield isn't a fitba toon by the way, it clearly is.

I'm not massively convinced of the rugby argument either ... what's the average attendance of Edinburgh rugby in a typical season? The best piece of evidence I can find is a Scotsman article from 2022 where they were bumming about their game with some French club attracting a bigger crowd than the corresponding Hibs game ... seems impressive until you find out that Hibs game was a 4th round Scottish cup tie with Cove Rangers.
    Edinburgh rugby are one of only two pro clubs in Scotland and if they really are making a dent in the crowds of Hibs and Hearts it's bloody miniscule, in spite of them having the whole of the east of Scotland at their mercy.

In fact the only rugby thing that does affect Hibs is the fact that we are always at home on days Scotland are at Murrayfield and Hearts for obvious reasons never are ...... why Hibs have never pressured the SFA to allow us to play at home on the Friday or Sunday on these weekends is beyond me. We have season ticket holders and no doubt walk ups who don't turn up because they have tickets for Murrayfield. If we could change we might even attract a few French, English, Welsh, Irish and especially Italian punters up for the game who might fancy the exotic attractions of a Scottish premiership match.

It seems barmy on the face of it that we allow a situation to continue that clearly affects our crowds, whereas if we were to address that situation we might actually get a few more punters than usual through the door ... not just that, but many rugby fans also like fitba, we might even sell a few shirts and scarves to these visitors as souvenirs of their visit to the holy ground.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 28-06-2023 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Great idea, but we can only get them in the ground if we have a home game against the likes of Ross County etc
    Not sure if this would be too onerous for the TO staff, but we could maybe implement checks for the CatA fixtures to allow tourists to attend ie against foreign passports / hotel bookings etc

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Both Hibs and Hearts have big support bases with the majority not attending games - you only have to look at the Cup parades to see the potential there.

If either (or both) teams were able to win the league consistently over a decade, we would have to increase the capacity at Easter Rd and would, if the stadium permitted, reach the crowds that Rangers and Celtic get.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Both Hibs and Hearts have big support bases with the majority not attending games - you only have to look at the Cup parades to see the potential there.

If either (or both) teams were able to win the league consistently over a decade, we would have to increase the capacity at Easter Rd and would, if the stadium permitted, reach the crowds that Rangers and Celtic get.
    This is exactly why I never understand folk who totally dismiss the potential attractiveness of Hibs to some billionaire. The amount of money required to challenge the uglies is paltry compared to what would be required to make a dent in England or Spain. Any club who could end their 40 year duopoly would make headlines throughout the sporting world.

The potential ( as you say ) to grow Hibs average from 17,000 to more like 25,000 or 30,000 on the back of such success is absolutely obvious to me at least. I can't ever see either Edinburgh club hitting north of 40,000 to be honest. ... some building at the stadium to accommodate that would be required of course

Love the podcasts by the way Matty.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 28-06-2023 at 12:23 PM.

[QUOTE=NAE NOOKIE;7381713]Any similarities we share with the circumstances of the two Sheffield clubs begins and ends with population though. By and large both clubs spend their life in the English championship, with making the EPL being seen as massive success and that ambition is a realistic one, unlike that of Hibs and Hearts to win the league. Their opponents are capable in large part of taking up any away allocation these clubs offer them and most of the clubs they play are a bit more of an attraction than Livingston, Kilmarnock or Ross County I would imagine.

In a 24 team league they never meet the same opponent at home in a season, they have variety, whereas a lack of variety in our league has been an ongoing issue, that's no a criticism of our league as such, there are good reasons for it. I'm not saying Sheffield isn't a fitba toon by the way, it clearly is.

I'm not massively convinced of the rugby argument either ... what's the average attendance of Edinburgh rugby in a typical season? The best piece of evidence I can find is a Scotsman article from 2022 where they were bumming about their game with some French club attracting a bigger crowd than the corresponding Hibs game ... seems impressive until you find out that Hibs game was a 4th round Scottish cup tie with Cove Rangers.
    Edinburgh rugby are one of only two pro clubs in Scotland and if they really are making a dent in the crowds of Hibs and Hearts it's bloody miniscule, in spite of them having the whole of the east of Scotland at their mercy.

In fact the only rugby thing that does affect Hibs is the fact that we are always at home on days Scotland are at Murrayfield and Hearts for obvious reasons never are ...... why Hibs have never pressured the SFA to allow us to play at home on the Friday or Sunday on these weekends is beyond me. We have season ticket holders and no doubt walk ups who don't turn up because they have tickets for Murrayfield. If we could change we might even attract a few French, English, Welsh, Irish and especially Italian punters up for the game who might fancy the exotic attractions of a Scottish premiership match.

It seems barmy on the face of it that we allow a situation to continue that clearly affects our crowds, whereas if we were to address that situation we might actually get a few more punters than usual through the door ... not just that, but many rugby fans also like fitba, we might even sell a few shirts and scarves to these visitors as souvenirs of their visit to the holy ground.[
    /QUOTE]

That is a really good point. Allows our own supporters to go to both games, brings in extra supporters and sells more merchandise. All wins.
    Friday night would be ideal.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This is exactly why I never understand folk who totally dismiss the potential attractiveness of Hibs to some billionaire. The amount of money required to challenge the uglies is paltry compared to what would be required to make a dent in England or Spain. Any club who could end their 40 year duopoly would make headlines throughout the sporting world.

The potential ( as you say ) to grow Hibs average from 17,000 to more like 25,000 or 30,000 on the back of such success is absolutely obvious to me at least. I can't ever see either Edinburgh club hitting north of 40,000 to be honest. ... some building at the stadium to accommodate that would be required of course

Love the podcasts by the way Matty.
    Thanks - very much appreciated!

I think if we were successful for more than a couple of years we’d be able to fill a 30k stadium. If we pushed that to 8-10 years of sustained success (bear in mind that would bring regular Champions League football) then i think we’d get 50-60k if the stadium could hold it. Same for Hearts, to be honest.

I totally agree about the potential, by the way. I’ve set out an argument for that on here before and i think we’re ideally placed for it
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net