@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has sadly passed away. RIP
    Shame always liked him. Spoke well and an intelligent guy. RIP

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Was always worth a listen RIP

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Very sad news. Had the pleasure of his company a few times, last time fairly recently. Heard he was in palliative care last week. An absolute gent who had time for everyone and many a funny story. RIP Pa Broon

Not so good. 😢

Sad news.

Was the Scotland manager when I first attended games and I saw us qualify for both 96 and 98. I thought it would always be like that.
    Last edited by Pretty Boy; 26-06-2023 at 12:26 PM.

Och what a sin, was always good to listen to and seemed a lovely guy, RIP Pa Broon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Rip

Sad news. RIP Craig Brown.

Very sad news indeed,
    RIP Mr Brown. 😥

Coaching Staff
    He use to live opposite my brother in Ayr & when I visited would say hello, chat for a bit, nice approachable guy. Sad news.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    I’m really sorry to hear this. I’m sure I heard him on the radio the last week or so
    Done a fantastic job for Scotland

Blog Entries
    I'm in Portugal and was talking about him and The Campbells with an old Arbroath fan last night. Craigie was IMO a lucky manager, IIRC we only ever beat 1 top 25 team in qualifying and it was Jim Leighton who beat them. He was however a good guy, great company and one of the funniest men I've ever met.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    very sad indeed, unlike some i always had time to listen to him talk about the game, only last weekend being the last time

RIP Craig

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    I'm in Portugal and was talking about him and The Campbells with an old Arbroath fan last night. Craigie was IMO a lucky manager, IIRC we only ever beat 1 top 25 team in qualifying and it was Jim Leighton who beat them. He was however a good guy, great company and one of the funniest men I've ever met.
    He actually describes himself as the 'luckiest manager on Scottish football'. I think he's doing himself a huge disservice. World youth cup final, Euro & World cup finals as manager. That's not just luck IMHO.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Really nice guy and both him and Roxburgh got us to finals so would be classed as a success. But I feel they paved the way for 20 years of underachievement. They were the managers when I was following Scotland home and away so I managed 2 world cups and 1 Euros and I'm grateful for that. They, and the SFA, allowed everyone else in the world to catch and then overtake us at international level. As I say,though, a really nice guy who had a great career. RIP and thanks for the memories

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Sad news, he was a very decent man and the last to take us to the world cup, if we only realised back then how difficult it was and he done it without any superstars in the side.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member HibbyKeith's Avatar
    Sad news. Loved listening to him speak. Always spoke very humbly about his own career.

Rest easy, Mr Brown.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    Och what a sin, was always good to listen to and seemed a lovely guy, RIP Pa Broon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sad news this. I first met him when him and his family went to Crieff Hydro for a weekend break when he was manager of Clyde. I remember one year I was. there with my family he told me to pick a side to play his side in an indoor sports complex at the hotel. My team won 5-1. I never let him forget that.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I'm saddened to learn of this. He always seemed a nice man, being softly spoken and humble. He was old school, with values and integrity. Good manager too. He made a good age, which is nice.

RIP Craig
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    What a shame. RIP Mr Broon.

RIP Craig
    Took us to major finals, very good manager

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    He actually describes himself as the 'luckiest manager on Scottish football'. I think he's doing himself a huge disservice. World youth cup final, Euro & World cup finals as manager. That's not just luck IMHO.

I wouldn't disagree. I really meant he benefitted from our prior successes in that, IIRC, we were 2nd seeds for WC qualifying. It's a lot tougher to qualify from pot 4!

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    No idea as to world rankings, did they even exist in the 1990's(?) but we finished very strong second in both qualifying groups, playing 20 fixtures across both campaigns , only losing 2 matches and having Greece and Sweden finish in third place behind us (Austria won the Euro group, Russia the WC qualifying group).

I liked Broon, I would imagine he was good company. He did well with Scotland, with players that weren't quite as good as those from our campaigns in the 70's and 80's. H

RIP Craig, you served us well.

The phrase 'it's only a game' gets thrown about a lot and in some ways it's true but to many of us on here football is more than just a game, that's certainly true for me.

When you think back to 2016 many of us talk about a weight being lifted from our shoulder or how we were walking on air for weeks and months afterwards. I think Scotland qualifying for a WC gives a similar boost but on a national level that transcends club divisions. I said earlier than I attended the qualifying campaigns for both 1996 and 1998 and at the time it was taken a wee bit for granted.

Thinking back though the whole country was buzzing, particularly in 1998. I remember sprinting home from school to watch the opening ceremony and build up to that 1st game. Not only were Scotland at the WC, they were playing in the opening game against arguably the most glamorous side in international football. I daresay my street wasn't the only one in Scotland that had near simultaneous cheers from every house when Collins slotted home that penalty. I was speaking to a couple of guys in my work who were in Paris then travelled down to St Etienne for the disaster v Morocco and they said it was the best couple of weeks of their life and memories they will take to the grave with friendships forged and stories to tell.

Brown's team may not be spoken about in the same breath as some others but he along with his team ultimately achieved the same as others who were more revered. It's nice to see so many nice comments about him across social media and people sharing fond memories of bot the manager and the man.

He was a guy who loved his football and what he achieved was definitely about more than a game.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Very sad news. Always seemed a good guy.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Will be sadly missed.

I think I went to more Scotland games with him as manager than the rest combined, would be a close thing.

Looking back, we had some great times and some decent players to watch.

Highlights for me ere going to Euro 96 and France 98. Lifetime memories were made.

Also bumped into Brown in a lift in a hotel in Tallin. Wanted to make a wise crack about having affairs as it was topical at the time. Only managed to mumble "a' right?"!

RIP.

Unlike some I wasn't his biggest fan because I always got the impression he didn't have much time for Hibs, but his contribution for Scotland was quite good, getting us to different World Cups and Euros, and by many accounts he was a really decent bloke away from football as well and that's important, so RIP.

@hibs.net private member
    I used to bump into him fairly regularly at a place in Prestwick we both frequented. He was always keen to chat for a bit. I still remember his reaction to Jack Ross getting sacked, he was utterly gobsmacked that the club had done it, that was the only time I think he let his guard down so to speak.

@hibs.net private member BigKev's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Unlike some I wasn't his biggest fan because I always got the impression he didn't have much time for Hibs, but his contribution for Scotland was quite good, getting us to different World Cups and Euros, and by many accounts he was a really decent bloke away from football as well and that's important, so RIP.
    I met him once at the Hibs club. He was doing a meet and greet thing but lucky if there were a dozen folk there.

Spoke fondly of Hibs and his football knowledge was incredible. Was an insightful night and despite not being overly keen on him prior to meeting him my opinion changed within a couple of hours.

RIP Craig.