hibs.net Messageboard

Page 460 of 548 FirstFirst ... 360410450458459460461462470510 ... LastLast
Results 13,771 to 13,800 of 16429
    First Team Breakthrough
    Just listening to the Beeb podcast this morning, they are absolutely obsessed with Shankland being first choice striker. I think he is a really good SPL striker but it just doesn’t translate to international games. He is painfully slow, and his other attributes don’t make up for that at the highest level. He’s had 3 pretty decent chances over 2 games and scored none. He’s not the answer.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scotland seem to be hitting the same form as they did in 78....
    Peaked too soon

Need new blood

Germany looking dark horses

Quote Originally Posted by Andymac85 View Post
    Just listening to the Beeb podcast this morning, they are absolutely obsessed with Shankland being first choice striker. I think he is a really good SPL striker but it just doesn’t translate to international games. He is painfully slow, and his other attributes don’t make up for that at the highest level. He’s had 3 pretty decent chances over 2 games and scored none. He’s not the answer.
    They only have such a love in for Max Headroom because he plays for one of their cosy, cliquey teams, would be the same if he was at Aberdeen. Good record in Scotland but miles off being an international striker we rely on at the Euros.

Adams and Dykes have their own limitations but both playing at a better level.

We really need to find a young gun striker coming through the system soon or we will continue to struggle.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    Scotland seem to be hitting the same form as they did in 78....
    I know what you mean. We peaked a year too early for that one.
    Last edited by Musselbound; 27-03-2024 at 07:02 AM.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    We need to send out the SOS as soon as possible to the Newcastle four in order to have some successful Summer nights in German Cities.
    That me definitely finished with the puns
    It's looking a bit late for that now. I wondered if Clarke might have tried out someone else in this camp. It was all very predictable last night and it could be handy to have a winger option to bring on such as an in form Mikey Johnson or Harvey Barnes if fit and willing.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    They only have such a love in for Max Headroom because he plays for one of their cosy, cliquey teams, would be the same if he was at Aberdeen. Good record in Scotland but miles off being an international striker we rely on at the Euros.

Adams and Dykes have their own limitations but both playing at a better level.

We really need to find a young gun striker coming through the system soon or we will continue to struggle.
    I’m not sure, I think they have a point this time, he’s the best finisher we have at the moment I don’t think that can be argued, can’t expect a player be it shankland or Nisbet to come in and hit the ground running when called on once in a blue moon, this run of friendlies should be a time where you can give guys like that a run, game against Netherlands was always going to be tough going a second crack at the whip might have been just what was needed but instead we get dykes who’s managed 4 goals this year in that higher level he’s playing at, just not good enough

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Musselbound View Post
    It's looking a bit late for that now. I wondered if Clarke might have tried out someone else in this camp. It was all very predictable last night and it could be handy to have a winger option to bring on such as an in form Mikey Johnson or Harvey Barnes if fit and willing.
    Johnson plays for Ireland, Lewis Morgan would be an option though even to try out

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    Johnson plays for Ireland, Lewis Morgan would be an option though even to try out
    So he does! I'd completely forgotten or overlooked that. Oh well, another one lost to them. Explains why he is not near the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Ya beauty !

See ya Welsh dicks
    Weird.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    He's currently Scotlands best striker though. Can't just materialise a striker with pace to burn and a knack for goal.

Dykes or Adams don't score enough to be main strikers.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    He's currently Scotlands best striker though. Can't just materialise a striker with pace to burn and a knack for goal.

I didn't understand why he played Dykes for 70 mins in a game where we need lots of movement from our front players. I felt Adams should have started through the middle.

If Shankland played for Hibs we would all be screaming for him to start. He has his limitations but he is a goalscorer and a couple of missed chances doesn't change that.

He's not the all round package, he's not the difference between going deep in the Euros or not but he's worth another chance or 2.

Scotland seems to have this habit of ignoring goalscoring domestic strikers stretching back years. Leigh Griffiths the season he was on fire at Hibs and beyond being a notable recent example.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

He's certainly been the most prolific of our strikers at club level, albeit at a lower level than our other striking options play at. It would be good if he can get a move to a league with a better standard of opposition to properly test himself.

Shankland should 100% be on the plane. He's the guy you turn to after 75 mins when chasing a goal or 2. Wouldn't be starting him though

Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    We need to send out the SOS as soon as possible to the Newcastle four in order to have some successful Summer nights in German Cities.
    That me definitely finished with the puns
    Think it would have happened by now if it was ever going to happen...
    Gordon has now been capped by England, so it's down to three.
    England blessed with lots of good right-backs but Livramento is likely to get a chance sooner rather than later.
    All gone quiet on Anderson after his swift withdrawal in September. He's still young and it could happen after the Euros.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Shankland should 100% be on the plane. He's the guy you turn to after 75 mins when chasing a goal or 2. Wouldn't be starting him though
    If he's good enough to be the guy to rescue a game why wouldn't you start him?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    If Shankland played for Hibs we would all be screaming for him to start. He has his limitations but he is a goalscorer and a couple of missed chances doesn't change that.

He's not the all round package, he's not the difference between going deep in the Euros or not but he's worth another chance or 2.

Scotland seems to have this habit of ignoring goalscoring domestic strikers stretching back years. Leigh Griffiths the season he was on fire at Hibs and beyond being a notable recent example.
    Absolutely we seem to just leap on players who are playing at a supposed higher level no matter their performance at that level dykes is hardly covering himself in glory as a championship striker, neither really is Che Adams with 10 goals, Shankland should have been given another start last night it’s not even as though we where going long to Dykes and that was the reason he was in, we’re not going to find a striker persisting with the same old in meaningless games

Quote Originally Posted by number9dream View Post
    Think it would have happened by now if it was ever going to happen...
    Gordon has now been capped by England, so it's down to three.
    England blessed with lots of good right-backs but Livramento is likely to get a chance sooner rather than later.
    All gone quiet on Anderson after his swift withdrawal in September. He's still young and it could happen after the Euros.
    Gordon can still play for Scotland as friendlies don't count as representative games. There must he more players out there that qualify for Scotland so we need to be working on this.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Peaked too soon

Need new blood

Germany looking dark horses
    I don’t think you can ever call Germany the Dark horses. They are and have always been quality.

They have just had a blip for a few years. We will have to be at our absolute best to get even a point from Germany on their home turf.

The Germany of Euro 2020 and the World Cup has gone.

J

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar

Why don’t we produce strikers?

Every team seems to have a top quality forward. Except Scotland.

Feels like it’s been like that since King Kenny.

J

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    Why don’t we produce strikers?

Every team seems to have a top quality forward. Except Scotland.

Feels like it’s been like that since King Kenny.

J
    That’s my question. Doesn’t everyone want to be a striker? Is every top striker in the Scottish Premier League non-Scottish? Do none of them have Scottish Grandparents?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Agree, funnily enough he reminds me of John Robertson, banging them in domestically but when he has to go up a level you could see it was a step too far. The love in for him from the media is because they all think he's off to Der Hun in the summer. And they may well be correct.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    That’s my question. Doesn’t everyone want to be a striker? Is every top striker in the Scottish Premier League non-Scottish? Do none of them have Scottish Grandparents?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It's been technically adaptable midfielders and wingbacks for the last 15-20 years in youth football. Strikers are like Dylan Vente, a bit obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireHibs View Post
    Agree, funnily enough he reminds me of John Robertson, banging them in domestically but when he has to go up a level you could see it was a step too far. The love in for him from the media is because they all think he's off to Der Hun in the summer. And they may well be correct.
    I don't disagree, against the better teams, but are Northern Ireland defenders any better than the bang average SPFL defenders Shankland comes up against every week? I think he deserved to start last night. It was tailor made for him to get a goal or two and have his confidence high for the Euros which would only help Scotland.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I don't disagree, against the better teams, but are Northern Ireland defenders any better than the bang average SPFL defenders Shankland comes up against every week? I think he deserved to start last night. It was tailor made for him to get a goal or two and have his confidence high for the Euros which would only help Scotland.
    Yes, don't disagree that last night should have been a good level for him. But how much would it tell us about him when we play Germany in the opener. I think Clark will go with tried and trusted for that one, and I agree with him. It'll be the biggest occasion these Scotland players will ever play in, including Champs League etc. The focus and media hype will be off the scale. It's not a game to play a domestic striker that lacks pace and has very little experience. I'd bench Shankland and bring him on around 60-70 minutes when we're 3-0 up and coasting. 😁

Neither Dykes or Adams even got into a position to miss a chance. They’re supposed to be playing at a higher level than a few of the NI team . You wouldn’t have known it.

Shankland should definitely be playing, he should be our main striker with Dykes knocking the ball down for him.

Harvey Barnes was my hope for a different quality. Back from injury but doesn’t sound like it’s on Clarke radar.

Going to Germany game and they look very good in last two games. But it’s Scotland and we should expect the unexpected.

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Col2 View Post
    Harvey Barnes was my hope for a different quality. Back from injury but doesn’t sound like it’s on Clarke radar.

Going to Germany game and they look very good in last two games. But it’s Scotland and we should expect the unexpected.
    I see we missed out on Anthony Gordon also. He would have given us a bit of flair. I do sometimes think we miss out on naturalised British players i.e. those born outside the UK who become British Citizens. As England is not a nation, all of these players could technically play for any of the Home Nations. If I remember correctly John Barnes could have played for Scotland. I think we will have to spread the net a bit more, as, as someone else mentioned there are players in the current squad who are not of the quality required.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I see we missed out on Anthony Gordon also. He would have given us a bit of flair. I do sometimes think we miss out on naturalised British players i.e. those born outside the UK who become British Citizens. As England is not a nation, all of these players could technically play for any of the Home Nations. If I remember correctly John Barnes could have played for Scotland. I think we will have to spread the net a bit more, as, as someone else mentioned there are players in the current squad who are not of the quality required.
    Le Tissier and LeSaux as well.
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 27-03-2024 at 12:28 PM.