Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, thanks for that insight, really helpful and not at all condescending
    Maybe condescending, not really wrong though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Similar here, with a touch of 'wtf?' thrown in.

Never seen him play, and it's not the sort of signing I can get excited about.

Not saying it's a bad move by the club, but I'm not sure how we can say it's a decent one either.
    I’ll trust the DOF on this one and the opinion of someone who’s seen a lot of him over the past five years. But you crack on with your “wtfs” if thats your bag.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I agree that what he does will determine whether he’s a good or bad signing.

But when you’re signing someone at 36 who has been playing at an inferior level (as he’s said himself) then I think it’s fair that some may be a bit sceptical about his signing. I’m 50/50 with it personally, can’t quite make my mind up on it.
    This is where I'm at as well.

For me though we have bags of time left in the window. There is no suggestion he's signed to be our first choice, and all the noise is we'll made a another, 'big' signing to be our first choice centre forward.

As long as that's the case I'm all good!

Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post
    Hibs never learn and nor does Johnson if he thinks this 36 year old washed up has-been can adapt from Indian/Kangaroo football to the SPL.

File under yet another pension top up plan alongside McGeady, Johansen, Kufti and Valdas Trakas.

I guess he might get a game in the last 16 of the League cup if the arrogant Johnson decides its a worthwhile competition this year.😥
    He was in every single English league prior to his stint in the “kangaroo” league. The same League plenty others in Scottish Premiership have come from.

This looks more like a Grant Holt type appointment and, if he has that impact, it'll be fine. Experienced, proven striker whose character and attributes known very well to DoF. Hopefully will help the development of others.

Quote Originally Posted by joe t View Post
    Alfie’s most successful spell included a ‘super sub’ season with reading in the premier league. He’ll not be our main striker but will defo get goals off the bench. Thumbs up from me.
    One of the problems we had last season was that there was no-one on the bench that looked capable of changing a game. Alfie was very much a game-changing sub for Brian McDermott's Reading and I think that's what he's been signed for at Hibs. Forza Fred's comments suggest he's still perfectly capable of doing that at 36.

Look out for him getting the winners in Derbies next season.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I’m not getting the feeling he’s been signed to sit on the bench all season.

Be interesting to see who we add to compliment the signing in attack and even at this stage of pre season our squad looks like taking shape with a bit of thought and strategy rather than scattergun.

Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    One of the problems we had last season was that there was no-one on the bench that looked capable of changing a game. Alfie was very much a game-changing sub for Brian McDermott's Reading and I think that's what he's been signed for at Hibs. Forza Fred's comments suggest he's still perfectly capable of doing that at 36.

Look out for him getting the winners in Derbies next season.
    Exactly this, if he had been on the bench in the last game at Tiny we may well have won it, a fit Myko gives us a good front line

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    I’m not getting the feeling he’s been signed to sit on the bench all season.

Be interesting to see who we add to compliment the signing in attack and even at this stage of pre season our squad looks like taking shape with a bit of thought and strategy rather than scattergun.
    I'm saying he's been signed to come off the bench and score goals - something he did regularly in the EPL a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    I'm saying he's been signed to come off the bench and score goals - something he did regularly in the EPL a while back.
    That what it looks like to me. I don’t think anybody expects him to be playing 90 minutes every week but having options on the bench will be a refreshing change from the season just past.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    I’ll trust the DOF on this one and the opinion of someone who’s seen a lot of him over the past five years. But you crack on with your “wtfs” if thats your bag.
    Cool, that's how it should be.

I don't know enough about McDermott either, so can't really comment on how good or bad the signings he makes are.

When I first saw Le Fondre's name mentioned, "wtf" is exactly the thought that came to mind. I'm not slating the guy, or LJ, or anyone at the club, and I'm not having a pop at any posters on here fro thinking differently.

So yeah, I'll crack on and give my opinion, just as you and others are doing.

If I had said I'm delighted with the signing, despite having not seen him play, would you even have bothered replying? Nah, course you wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    Maybe condescending, not really wrong though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So when we're linked with players we might sign, only posters that have seen these players several times should be allowed to comment on here?

Thread's gonna dry up and be pretty quiet if that's that's the case!

There's no need to for any of us to be commenting on each other at all.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    The only concern with the age is how additionally longer any injuries might take to heal.

If it had been announced the club had signed Jamie Vardy (same age as Le Fondre) I doubt there'd be nothing but excitement. Some players are still have a lot to offer at 36! Even 37
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    4th best minutes to goals ratio in EPL history.
    Well if that’s correct I’m astounded, I knew off him obviously as he’s been around a long time, but that’s some statistic. To score as many goals as he has and most of them in the English leagues is quite something. Certainly gives me hope for the exciting season ahead.

Welcome Alf

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToulouseHibs View Post
    Aaaahhh a proper old school striker. And, a proper old striker . Look forward to seeing what he can do. He seems to have a passionate bunch of supporters behind him, and, even better, a few haters from opposing teams. Great building block for next season.
    Aye, all we need now is a school striker by the sounds of this

I'm actually happy enough with this if he can stay fit for the season.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

If hes wearing the Hibs green and giving his all he should have the collective backing of us all.

Hope he does well.

GGTTH

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Well the obvious answer is to see him play first before deciding if it’s a good or bad signing, is it no?
    That's too sensible, let's just hit the old negativity button in stead.

So when we're linked with players we might sign, only posters that have seen these players several times should be allowed to comment on here?

Thread's gonna dry up and be pretty quiet if that's that's the case!

There's no need to for any of us to be commenting on each other at all.
    Your response to the guy who gave a good summary of his recent history was a bit out of turn. Imo. I just don’t understand people who jump in with negative views when its clear they know very little about the player and don’t appear to have read the opinions of folk who have.

Its the nature of online behaviour though I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Well the obvious answer is to see him play first before deciding if it’s a good or bad signing, is it no?
    Most of us hasn't seen him play over the last 5 years so the obvious answer is indeed waiting to see him play for us before deciding if he's going to be good or not .

Alfie is a proven goalscorer who's got a really good record of scoring goals wherever he's been and his experience will be very good in helping our young strikers like melkersen and O'Connor and i think he will turn out to be a good signing for us .

@hibs.net private member
    I think if he was regarded as a straight replacement for Nisbet and a main source of goals then it would be a bit underwhelming but I suspect he's been brought in as an experienced striker to help out some of the young lads. With Youan and Boyle on the wings he probably doesn't need to be haring about the park, just get himself into the right positions to finish off chances. We dropped a lot of points due to a lack of composure in the box so hopefully he can add this.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Your response to the guy who gave a good summary of his recent history was a bit out of turn. Imo. I just don’t understand people who jump in with negative views when its clear they know very little about the player and don’t appear to have read the opinions of folk who have.

Its the nature of online behaviour though I guess.
    I don't think I've given a negative view about the player or the club though.

The signing doesn't excite or inspire me, but that's not me criticising anyone, I'm just giving my initial reaction.

I thought what I said was pretty harmless and didn''t really expect any reaction to it at all.

It's hard to know what's acceptable on here these days!.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I think Alf is more a Brian McDermott signing. He’s an experienced player who seems to have been playing regularly. Looks like he’s a different sort of player to what we have
    Penalty box striker scores goals. Good option to have in any league. Worth it for a short term signing especially given he will know McDermott already so likely settle in quick. Quite liking this signing personally the more I think of it.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Is the Australian league several levels below ours?

I don’t watch any of it but my perception is that it’s been a good market for Scottish clubs recently.

FWIW I’m not sure it needs to be an exciting signing.
    Certainly isn't several levels. Old firm better other teams including our own would be competitive however so would the A league teams with us. Many of their players seamlessly come into our league kind of says it all not much difference.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Having read the opinions of those who have watched a lot of him recently (cheers Forza) watched a lot of Youtube stuff, looked at his career so far and listened to his first interview...I'm excited. Seems to have a very good fitness record, brilliant goal scoring record, fantastic attitude and bags of experience. He's signed a one year deal so we are not staking any long term money on the guy. This has more of a Mixu feel about it than a Hurtardo moment for me. Looking at his highlights he scores every type of goal, poacher tap ins, long range bangers, plenty of headers, he reminds me a bit of James Keatings in that respect..just with a lot more confidence and experience at a higher level

I still think we will see goals from both McKirdy and Melkersen if they stay (but then I am an eternal optimist), particularly with a mentor like ALF to show them how to bag the Sausage Rolls. It would be great to see young O'Conner getting some game time too..or is he going out on Loan ?
    Last edited by worcesterhibby; 17-06-2023 at 09:29 AM.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    The only concern with the age is how additionally longer any injuries might take to heal.

If it had been announced the club had signed Jamie Vardy (same age as Le Fondre) I doubt there'd be nothing but excitement. Some players are still have a lot to offer at 36! Even 37
    Ronaldo is 38.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Certainly isn't several levels. Old firm better other teams including our own would be competitive however so would the A league teams with us. Many of their players seamlessly come into our league kind of says it all not much difference.
    Not really how it works though, lots of Scottish players have went down south and played well with no issues, doesn't mean our league is as good, similarly we have had lots of foreign players come here and struggle. I'm sure ALF himself said in the interview its a higher standard(or words to that affect)

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    When the ball hits the net

Like a low flying jet

That's Le Fronde

etc
    When you're sat in row Z

And the ball hits your head

That's Le Fondre

😀

This past season Hibs fans moaning about too many young development players with no experience, sign an experienced forward who knows how to find the net and it's all he's past it etc. Gotta love Hibs supporters.

First Team Breakthrough My old man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    When you're sat in row Z

And the ball hits your head

That's Le Fondre

😀
    Can we really use this as this was one of Le gods tunes 😜

GG2TH