hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member hibsforeurope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Talk about a tease! A lovely kit and filling in a corner? Maybe we are in on it lol

Fish on a permanent deal
    Stadium expansion
    Theo Walcott

Maybe the city group have started secretary investing in the club 😁
    That could explain the new sky blue t-Shirts in the club shop

2. Log in to remove the advert

Could be anything .. and almost certainly nothing. The stand shown from the back clearly has two decks which would suggest the west stand. But the stands you can see the inside of also have two decks, which precludes the east. Conclusion: It's just a chuck away attempt at the stadium to go with a sticker.

Been following the build of Everton's new stadium and the new stand at Anfield, it makes me fair jealous that Hibs haven't really done anything to ER since the east was built over 10 years ago.
    Everton have used angled corners rather than round ones and it looks really good ... Hibs could do the same joining up the lower decks of the FF and south stands with the bottom half of the East and stick the big screens above ... like they have at Ibrox. Probably wouldn't increase the capacity by more than a few hundred seats.

At the same time extend the roofs of the FF, East and South by a couple of metres to join them up and be nearer the pitch and Easter Road would be really enclosed and far more atmospheric.

NOTE: I know that would bring fans in the south end of the east and the away end far closer to each other, but by the time it was done all ( most of ) our radges will be in the FF lower and we could use seat coverings like the do at Tynecastle to keep fans apart.

When you consider the East stand cost about 3 million quid to build in it's entirety there's no way such a project would cost any more than that and it would vastly improve the stadium.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    It looks a pretty deliberate action to me - the south stand and west stand have the bars along the top as normal with the corner not a continuation of that?

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Could be anything .. and almost certainly nothing. The stand shown from the back clearly has two decks which would suggest the west stand. But the stands you can see the inside of also have two decks, which precludes the east. Conclusion: It's just a chuck away attempt at the stadium to go with a sticker.

Been following the build of Everton's new stadium and the new stand at Anfield, it makes me fair jealous that Hibs haven't really done anything to ER since the east was built over 10 years ago.
    Everton have used angled corners rather than round ones and it looks really good ... Hibs could do the same joining up the lower decks of the FF and south stands with the bottom half of the East and stick the big screens above ... like they have at Ibrox. Probably wouldn't increase the capacity by more than a few hundred seats.

At the same time extend the roofs of the FF, East and South by a couple of metres to join them up and be nearer the pitch and Easter Road would be really enclosed and far more atmospheric.

NOTE: I know that would bring fans in the south end of the east and the away end far closer to each other, but by the time it was done all ( most of ) our radges will be in the FF lower and we could use seat coverings like the do at Tynecastle to keep fans apart.

When you consider the East stand cost about 3 million quid to build in it's entirety there's no way such a project would cost any more than that and it would vastly improve the stadium.
    Didn't the East Stand cost at least £6 million? I'm sure it would cost much more to build now as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven79 View Post
    Didn't the East Stand cost at least £6 million? I'm sure it would cost much more to build now as well.
    I stand corrected, 6 million it was.

That being said, a basic job to connect the bottom half of the east with the FF and South lower decks surely wouldn't cost anything like that. You wouldn't be adding any more toilets or food outlets or anything like that, just a basic extension of the seating deck to join up with the two end stands and a bit of roofing that put together still probably wouldn't be as big as the FF stand roof. Move the two screens we already own to sit above the new seats and it's job done. Giving you a more or less fully enclosed stadium.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar

That being said, a basic job to connect the bottom half of the east with the FF and South lower decks surely wouldn't cost anything like that. You wouldn't be adding any more toilets or food outlets or anything like that, just a basic extension of the seating deck to join up with the two end stands and a bit of roofing that put together still probably wouldn't be as big as the FF stand roof. Move the two screens we already own to sit above the new seats and it's job done. Giving you a more or less fully enclosed stadium.
    I've thought similar to this for years. Not wanting to compare to Ibrox, but the way they did the corners there could work well for us.

It's more about giving the stadium a complete look than the extra seats and should be the next thing they do if upgrading ER.

This concept for New York City FC new stadium would look awesome for the corners at Easter Road. This could sit within the current stadium footprint and the current stands modified accordingly etc

https://www.nycfc.com/stadium
    Last edited by Jonpaulnevin; 17-06-2023 at 10:02 AM.

One major problem with filling in the corners is the effect it would have on the pitch.Apart from sunlight and water a high performance pitch also requires good air circulation. Close off the corners and the grate of circulation is dramatically reduced. I'm pretty sure that the new Wembley stadium has grilles hidden below a lot of the lower tier seats which are opened when the stadium is not in use. EPL teams have the finance for fans and artificial lights which we just couldn't afford. Another deck in the East Stand would be best in my opinion if increased capacity is required. Would certainly help with the long time it takes to get out from the back rows.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 60yearahibby View Post
    One major problem with filling in the corners is the effect it would have on the pitch.Apart from sunlight and water a high performance pitch also requires good air circulation. Close off the corners and the grate of circulation is dramatically reduced. I'm pretty sure that the new Wembley stadium has grilles hidden below a lot of the lower tier seats which are opened when the stadium is not in use. EPL teams have the finance for fans and artificial lights which we just couldn't afford. Another deck in the East Stand would be best in my opinion if increased capacity is required. Would certainly help with the long time it takes to get out from the back rows.
    Would the new hybrid pitch be robust enough to cope with that?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Would the new hybrid pitch be robust enough to cope with that?
    Not an expert by any means on pitches but my understanding is that the synthetic elements of a hybrid pitch is to help bind the roots of the grass together to reduce wear and tear. Whether a hybrid pitch requires less air circulation is a question for the expert designers/contractors.

Quote Originally Posted by 60yearahibby View Post
    It's not about increasing capacity, it's about enclosing the stadium.

Good luck getting planning permission to add another deck onto the east by the way, I'm pretty sure one of the reasons it was built when it was was that Hibs were afraid the existing planning permission for the height they wanted to build to when the time came would run out and be refused on re application, because of the flats that had subsequently been built behind it since the permission was originally granted. IMO there's absolutely no chance planning permission would be granted to increase the height of the east with another deck.
    The fact that the price of steel had fallen through the floor enabled us to get the initial project done before the planning permission expired, which was lucky for us or the new east would probably be two thirds the height it is now.

As for the pitch. Hibs have said themselves we already have a problem with lack of light and the air circulation to it anyway, so I doubt filling in the two corners would make things much worse than they already are. Our plan to install solar panels on the stand roofs could be the solution to the cost of running heat lamps ..... It could also be the case that hybrid pitches need less air circulation, probably not, but that is a question I'm sure others can answer.

At the end of the day stuff like filling in the corners has to be part of the future trajectory of the club if you want to make it the best it can be. It's not going to happen tomorrow, but it will happen.

@hibs.net private member

Good luck getting planning permission to add another deck onto the east by the way, I'm pretty sure one of the reasons it was built when it was was that Hibs were afraid the existing planning permission for the height they wanted to build to when the time came would run out and be refused on re application, because of the flats that had subsequently been built behind it since the permission was originally granted. IMO there's absolutely no chance planning permission would be granted to increase the height of the east with another deck.
    The fact that the price of steel had fallen through the floor enabled us to get the initial project done before the planning permission expired, which was lucky for us or the new east would probably be two thirds the height it is now.

As for the pitch. Hibs have said themselves we already have a problem with lack of light and the air circulation to it anyway, so I doubt filling in the two corners would make things much worse than they already are. Our plan to install solar panels on the stand roofs could be the solution to the cost of running heat lamps ..... It could also be the case that hybrid pitches need less air circulation, probably not, but that is a question I'm sure others can answer.

At the end of the day stuff like filling in the corners has to be part of the future trajectory of the club if you want to make it the best it can be. It's not going to happen tomorrow, but it will happen.
    Hibs could certainly utilise the void between the FF and the East without impacting on the flats that are close by. I think what could be done is a link to the upper current void in the East to create bars and improve access/egress. I cant find any proof online but Im sure its out there somewhere that the void, which is massive could accommodate bars/toilets etc was an option in the future if there was a requirement

The important thing at the time as you have alluded to was to get the old East down and to get the new East up due to costs etc. Obviously this is not about increasing capacity with added decking, we are a long time away from that requirement, from a commercial point of view it would make more sense esp with the success of the facilities in the West

West/South corner

If we wanted to increase capacity etc we could just do what our Gorgie Chums have done with their single tier main stand. Install smaller width seats! We could easily take our capacity to levels far beyond their reach!
    Last edited by Aldo; 18-06-2023 at 06:05 AM.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar

Ive always thought your suggestion of a smaller East but with the corners either side of it filled would have been smarter
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Doubt we'd ever increase capacity until such time attendances were really high over a sustained period with regular sell outs. As it is we have plenty of supply for demand in recent years. If the time comes and it's feasible then it would be great. Don't know about the issue of height of build for planning permission but the East was built and designed deliberately in a way to add a second tier - remember Hibs saying so at the time of Scotland chatting about hosting a major tournament

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Absolutely no need to increase the capacity at Easter Road, any major investment needs to be on the team.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McGruber View Post
    Doubt we'd ever increase capacity until such time attendances were really high over a sustained period with regular sell outs. As it is we have plenty of supply for demand in recent years. If the time comes and it's feasible then it would be great. Don't know about the issue of height of build for planning permission but the East was built and designed deliberately in a way to add a second tier - remember Hibs saying so at the time of Scotland chatting about hosting a major tournament
    Don’t disagree with you, it’s hard to justify an increased capacity just now.

Playing devils advocate though, would it not make more sense to increase it before the demand is there so when there is a need for it, the infrastructure is there to make the most of it. If we wait till we need it, by the time we’ve built it, it might not be needed any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Absolutely no need to increase the capacity at Easter Road, any major investment needs to be on the team.
    It would royally piss off the size obsessed muppets across the city so that's enough reason to do it, as far as I am concerned.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

Playing devils advocate though, would it not make more sense to increase it before the demand is there so when there is a need for it, the infrastructure is there to make the most of it. If we wait till we need it, by the time we’ve built it, it might not be needed any more.
    If you build it, they will come.

City Group, I mean.

@hibs.net private member mutley's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: mutley074
    It would royally piss off the size obsessed muppets across the city so that's enough reason to do it, as far as I am concerned.
    Seconded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you build it, they will come.

City Group, I mean.
    The thought hadn’t crossed my mind 😜

The stadium is already near enough the perfect size for us. If we're having a good season it's difficult to get tickets for the big games, but achievable to get tickets for the others - which is just where you want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The stadium is already near enough the perfect size for us. If we're having a good season it's difficult to get tickets for the big games, but achievable to get tickets for the others - which is just where you want to be.
    More hospitality and a few more seats while filling in a corner. What's not to like?

@hibs.net private member

Also the costs involved will increase year on year (unless there's another steel price collapse).

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    North East doesn't work as well as you'd have to link a 2 tier stand to a one tier.
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Im not an architect but I’m fairly certain a design could be thought up for it

The slope of the East Stand is the same level as the FF Upper, meaning that it actually would be possible to extend the East as a (steep) single tier into the corner.

Only pointing out the possibility, as the pic is quite clearly a total booboo on the part of whoever posted it.

@hibs.net private member

Folk on here moan their heids off on thread after thread about the FF lower looking empty, its a constant, I can imagine building something with more empty spaces would send them into meltdown 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post

Only pointing out the possibility, as the pic is quite clearly a total booboo on the part of whoever posted it.
    I doubt it was a mistake.

It was either a deliberate ploy to get folk talking about it (them) which I doubt, a fun imagining of what we've been discussing for years, which I doubt because it would have included a helipad, or it's happening.

Pick the bones out of that lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Folk on here moan their heids off on thread after thread about the FF lower looking empty, its a constant, I can imagine building something with more empty spaces would send them into meltdown 🤣
    Yup, another great reason to build it.

I know I’m in the minority but I think investing in the infrastructure on things that’ll provide a regular source of income is the best way to spend any cash windfalls. I don’t think we need the extra seats that would come from filling in a corner however if we can combine that with a building that includes office space/student housing/supporters bar/hotel then that’d be brilliant.

I know it was said the area between the FF and the east would be difficult to build on but there must be some sort of solution possible. Seems such a waste of ground and there’s not much wasted ground in this area of Edinburgh.

A couple of lower tier corners connecting the East to the FF and South stands, big screens above (Ibrox style) would raise capacity to just over 21,000.

If possible a smaller upper tier (around half the size of the exsiting East so about 16 rows of seating) would raise capacity to roughly 24,250.

I think it would be a fairly straight forward job but to build. Costs and complications would rise depending on what you wanted to put in the space below the new East upper.

It would be great for the team to run out to a large imposing East and it would be reminiscent of the old huge East of yesteryear. Im just not sure if the flats overlooking the East could scupper any future development.
    Last edited by Renfrew_Hibby; 18-06-2023 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    A couple of lower tier corners connecting the East to the FF and South stands, big screens above (Ibrox style) would raise capacity to just over 21,000.

If possible a smaller upper tier (around half the size of the exsiting East so about 16 rows of seating) would raise capacity to roughly 24,250.

I think it would be a fairly straight forward job but to build. Costs and complications would rise depending on what you wanted to put in the space below the new East upper.

It would be great for the team to run out to a large imposing East and it would be reminicent of the old huge East of yesteryear. Im just not sure if the flats overlooking the East could scupper any future development.
    If we do add another tier to any stand it would probably have to be the west given that all it backs onto are buildings not in use as residences .... Imagine a 3 deck monolith with the FF and south corners filled in, what a stadium Easter Road would be

In the next 20 years Edinburgh's population is projected to grow by nearly 70,000 residents and if you chuck in the surrounding towns in Hibs catchment area that probably rises to about 100,000. In Galashiels they are building like mental, I can see a new estate springing up from my living room window as I type and a far larger one has been built on the other end of the town and is still being added to.

When it comes to the borders most of it's 100,000 plus population live within a 90 minute drive of Edinburgh and there's every chance the train line from Galashiels to Edinburgh will be extended to Hawick with it's near 15,000 population in the next 10 years, it's less than an hour from Galashiels to Waverley station.

So long as football retains it's popularity and Hibs make a concerted effort to win a decent share of that potential support there's every chance that we could grow our supporter base by a good few thousand in the next quarter century and Easter Road will have to expand to accommodate it, I can see the capacity being around 23,000 by that time.