Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Ashes 2023

Oz collapse. Looks like a drawn series.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Tail wagging! 61 to win or 2 wickets.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Spent many a dreich day during School Summer holidays watching the cricket, Scotland were pretty much non existent as a cricket team (that could easily be sheer ignorance on my part) so that rivalry wasn't there.

The batsman's Holding the bowlers Willey and such like. 😳
    .. and any half-decent Scottish player played for England

Mike Denness... arguably Tony Greig.....

... and that's about it.

329-9

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

... and that's about it.
    Douglas Jardine

Been a great ashes. One of the best ever for me.
    Cougars!!!

Broad takes the final wicket 👏

Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    Very much so, quite tremendous entertainment!

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    And once again test match cricket shows just how exciting it is and why it will always be the pinnacle of the sport. Great series

Rain worked in England's favour this time round but they'll feel they deserved to draw the series.

I was, overall, a bit disappointed by Australia. Not as mentally resilient as I expected and I'd suggest England maybe overestimated them. In saying that, the loss Lyon so early in the series was a major blow for the tourists.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

... and that's about it.
    Tony Greig, the South African-born English Test player who qualified for Scotland

Gavin Hamilton is a Scot who played for England. Very decent swing bowler at county level, who could bat a bit. Got capped by England once - innings defeat in South Africa, took no wickets for a bundle of runs and batted for a pair! Though in fairness, SAF pitches did not suit him (as was apparent)
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Rain worked in England's favour this time round but they'll feel they deserved to draw the series.

I was, overall, a bit disappointed by Australia. Not as mentally resilient as I expected and I'd suggest England maybe overestimated them. In saying that, the loss Lyon so early in the series was a major blow for the tourists.

I get where you are coming from with australia. Enough of them weren't firing on all cylinders consistently abd in fairness, England are a very good side who seem to have solved a lot of their batting order issues.

Having said that, Australia had to play 20% more top-level cricket, having faced India in the World Test Championship, over five days, the week before the First Test. They put down 120-130 overs in that match and that was always going to catch up with the bowlers.

I think you are right about Lyon, his importance to the Australians can't be overstated - his ability to not just hold down an end, but prosper at an end, allows them to rotate three different quicks at the other. This underpins so much of their success. I have high hopes for Murphy as Lyon's long-term replacement - hes got a lot to learn bowling-wise but it seems clear he can bat better than number 10. His challenge is that for most of my lifetime, Australia have had at least a couple of fast bowlers who fancy themselves as top-order batsmen and have the chops to get runs.

By the same token, England dealt with the loss of Pope well. And they got through a series looking like the same opening pair will start the next one . The big challenge for them is going to be the bowling attack. Barring injuries, England could field an entire team of good pace bowlers. The important two words in that sentence were "Barring injuries". Olly Stone and Jofra Archer - I can easily see neither of them playing Test cricket again, Woakes and Wood are at the age where those injuries just take longer and longer to come back from, Robinson is now a worry with regard to his back. We could see a very raw England attack by the time the India tour comes round- the Overtons, Tongue, Mahmood?

Anyway, a series draw feels about right. But that's not due to the rain in Manchester - England won the Headingley Test in less overs than were played at Old Trafford.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 31-07-2023 at 07:05 PM.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    And once again test match cricket shows just how exciting it is and why it will always be the pinnacle of the sport. Great series
    One of the pinnacles of sport in general. I personally enjoy watching a good day's Test cricket more than a football match these days.

Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    Loved watching every session. Every session over the 5 tests had something special about it. Chuffed for England to get a draw it was the very least they deserved.