hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Left by mutual consent! AL-Qaholik's Avatar
    Are we about to be the first club ever to have a QR code on the front of our shirt?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks a bit like the Sauzee year 2000 kit.
    If it is then I’m gonna be a very happy man.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    When it was first raised I did wonder how they would afford it. The company is tiny and for the life of me I can't figure out the business case. They don't actually sell "bevvy". Its just a database of whisky. How does it eventually make income?

Already people are complaining about it but its not actually an alcohol company - its a data company.
    Looks tinpot to be honest, but what do I know. Hopefully the club have done their due diligence.

When it was first raised I did wonder how they would afford it. The company is tiny and for the life of me I can't figure out the business case. They don't actually sell "bevvy". Its just a database of whisky. How does it eventually make income?

Already people are complaining about it but its not actually an alcohol company - its a data company.
    They probably get a commission on sales of the whisky. Three is a lot of money in vintage and collectable whiskies.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    They probably get a commission on sales of the whisky. Three is a lot of money in vintage and collectable whiskies.
    But they don't link to sales.....your assumption was mine also but there is no sales links. I get that producers may end up paying to appear in the database but that surely can't make that much income. End game must be to crack into sales or make it a subscription.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    But they don't link to sales.....your assumption was mine also but there is no sales links. I get that producers may end up paying to appear in the database but that surely can't make that much income. End game must be to crack into sales or make it a subscription.
    They don’t link to sales…yet

My guess is that once they have built up a large user base they will market this to Whisky producers/sellers. For example, scan a whisky you like and you’ll be presented with some similar whisky’s available to buy.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AL-Qaholik View Post
    Are we about to be the first club ever to have a QR code on the front of our shirt?
    On the front, perhaps. A quick google shows a Norwegian club had a QR code on their sleeve to highlight human rights abuses in Qatar and a College American football team had QR codes instead of numbers on the back of their tops.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post

My guess is that once they have built up a large user base they will market this to Whisky producers/sellers. For example, scan a whisky you like and you’ll be presented with some similar whisky’s available to buy.
    Onsite advertising, but more importantly it’s data collection.

You’ll need to register to use it. That means collecting people’s data. There’s the value.

Bevvy will sell that data on to the relevant businesses in the drinks industry who in turn will build a picture of who their market and target are.

Quote Originally Posted by sauzeelegod View Post
    Looks a bit like the Sauzee year 2000 kit.
    If it is then I’m gonna be a very happy man.
    Me too 2000 kit was excellent

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post

There's a "shop" icon in the app so I think their intention is to sell bottles in the future.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Onsite advertising, but more importantly it’s data collection.

You’ll need to register to use it. That means collecting people’s data. There’s the value.

Bevvy will sell that data on to the relevant businesses in the drinks industry who in turn will build a picture of who their market and target are.
    That's a good point. They ask is you're interested in collecting or tasting whisky when you register although there's a "skip for now* option too.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    There's a "shop" icon in the app so I think their intention is to sell bottles in the future.
    There's also a review on their Facebook page for a whisky advent calendar where someone was thanking them from great customer service. So they were obviously selling those at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    That’s right, if it didn’t raise awareness to encourage betting, they wouldn’t do it.
    Just lost £70 playing online bingo, I've no idea what compelled me to register and deposit that amount. 🤔

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Just finished reading the thread. Simple question ... there are 11 other clubs in the Scottish premiership, who can name who sponsors even half of them? I know I cant.

My take on it is that advertising is all about market share in the modern era, not about pushing the actual nature of the business. For example car manufacturers: everybody on the planet knows what a car is, near enough everybody who can drive want's to own one, the myriad of car companies advertise to win a share of that market, they have absolutely no need to encourage folk to learn to drive.

It is the law that every driver has to have car insurance, the purpose of advertising it is to win market share, not to get folk to take it out.

Gambling and booze firms are the same. Folk have been drinking alcohol and gambling since the bloomin' stone age and folk have been abusing or been abused by both ever since. When attempts have been made to stop either all that has happened is that they get driven underground and are taken over by crooks, prohibition in the USA being the prime example. In the US the state of Nevada practically exists on gambling.

In short, I think the idea that football clubs having betting or booze firms on their shirts encourages folk to partake in the actual activities themselves is very much open to question.
    Whilst I defiantly can’t name the other teams in the leagues sponsors I reckon I could remember 90% of the Hibs strip sponsors from 2000 onwards so it definitively sticks in the mind.

Also for reasons unknown to me the NTL sponsorship of rangers and Celtic around 20 years ago is firmly rooted in my brain. A company that I don’t think had even existed for 20 odd years.

Whilst it personally doesn’t bother me there must be a proven link between advertising and harm or else we wouldn’t have banned cigarette companies from advertising.

It must be pretty hard to be someone who is dealing with alcohol or gambling addiction when you can’t even watch a game of football without having constant remainders of it on every second adverting board. Ultimately if powers higher up want to restrict or ban these adverts it would probably be for the best but it’s not for Hibs to take the moral high ground and loose out financially to our competitors as a results.