hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by yonder1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can’t tell if this is serious or not?

It’s the most visible piece of advertising at a football club, whichever company is on the front of the shirt.
    I’m not that fussed as betting companies and drinks companies are advertised everywhere. Not sure why the club should miss out on finances when the same products could just be on all the billboards outside.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    Of course it’s serious!

I am well aware that there are products and services available to me that could do myself or others harm, but I choose not to endulge in them, just as everyone is free to choose not to gamble or not to drink.

Advertising and marketing’s goal is to make consumers aware of companies existence but simply popping a logo somewhere visible is the least amount of encouragement going.

Let’s put it this way… having Utility on the front of the shirt didn’t make me spontaneously sign up to their service… it made me aware the company, yes, but didn’t inspire me to use their services.
    If advertising didn’t encourage people to sign up or buy a product the companies wouldn’t splash so much cash on it. I kind of agree with most of your argument, those that say it might encourage people who are addicts or recovering addicts may have a point. Personally I have no objection to this type of sponsorship but can understand why others do.

Etihad Airways please. Kerching.

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    I hope it’s Marlboro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WEST...Cmon the Mclarens

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcohibs View Post
    Possibly Eden Mill or Gleann Mor?
    Can’t be Edin Mill Gin, when we’re majority owned by Gordon’s

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    If advertising didn’t encourage people to sign up or buy a product the companies wouldn’t splash so much cash on it. I kind of agree with most of your argument, those that say it might encourage people who are addicts or recovering addicts may have a point. Personally I have no objection to this type of sponsorship but can understand why others do.
    Your first point is just common sense really and there isn't really argument against it. Just because it doesn't consciously make you or I as an individual buy a product doesn't mean it doesn't shape behaviour in a wider sense.

I always come back to the same point when people argue against the impact of advertising. Of the circa 7 billion people on earth the vast majority will be aware of Coca Cola and further the majority of that majority will have purchased one of their products, many will do so regularly. It's arguably the most well known brand in the world. Yet they still spend $4billion a year on worldwide advertising. Go figure.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    It's a difficult one. Sponsorship is of course there to attract customers, but it's worth remembering that its not just a deliberate ploy to specifically entice problem drinkers/gamblers (although of course it can sometimes have a negative effect on some of those people).

Betting companies who advertise are mainly targeting the majority of punters who gamble responsibly and are going to have a bet anyway. They are therefore competing for market share with their rivals and clever advertising will help with this. I see nothing wrong with that. Alcohol marketing for example is vital for the Scottish Economy in helping Whisky producers to position premium products and grow the sector, providing jobs and economic boosts to many remote and rural communities across Scotland. Of course these things have to be balanced with the potential negative effects on those with addictions.

Legislation may come in at some point to stop alcohol and or gambling companies being allowed on football shirts anyway - but its not a straightforward "it must be done" decision. Until then (if it ever happens) then I don't have a problem with us using these companies.
    Gambling companies revenue is based on 5% of their customers, high spending addicts..their whole business model is now based on high RGN online gaming which industries such as horse racing has happily allowed themselves to be conflated with.

A perverse Industry that's regulated by an incompetent gambling Commision who hand out fines on a monthly basis for social responsibility failings but never suspend licenses.

Gambling isn't what it was 30-50 years ago.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    Of course it’s serious!

I am well aware that there are products and services available to me that could do myself or others harm, but I choose not to endulge in them, just as everyone is free to choose not to gamble or not to drink.

Advertising and marketing’s goal is to make consumers aware of companies existence but simply popping a logo somewhere visible is the least amount of encouragement going.

Let’s put it this way… having Utility on the front of the shirt didn’t make me spontaneously sign up to their service… it made me aware the company, yes, but didn’t inspire me to use their services.
    Advertising / Sponsorship is there for one reason, to make money.

If it didn’t make companies money, they wouldn’t advertise or sponsor anything.

Just because you are impervious to their ways, there’s clearly millions of £s that says there’s others who are.

I drank Crabbies for a bit. I like Gin so I of course bought Eden Mill.

Can’t remember buying any McBean Protective clothing though.

J

@hibs.net private member hibsfan7's Avatar

Cool

The dream shirt sponsor 7UP

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    Advertising / Sponsorship is there for one reason, to make money.

If it didn’t make companies money, they wouldn’t advertise or sponsor anything.

Just because you are impervious to their ways, there’s clearly millions of £s that says there’s others who are.

I drank Crabbies for a bit. I like Gin so I of course bought Eden Mill.

Can’t remember buying any McBean Protective clothing though.

J
    The point I was trying to make is that folk need to relax a little about what company we have using our kit as a billboard. Alcohol and gambling adverts are found in many walks of life within public view, so let’s calm down about how a logo on a shirt influences people.

If the deal with any of these companies meant having huge advertising boards and promotional merchandising caked all over Easter Road and our public output then that’s different.

Yes they are looking to attract business but they’re hardly shoving it down our throats.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm not a drinker, smoker or gambler. I tend to never watch adverts and when I see anything on Facebook etc more than once it tend to make me think worse of a company/product. I did stop drinking Strongbow a wee while back so advertising does impact me.

I'd far rather we had a sponsor we can be proud of or at least one that has links to the community, Edinburgh or Scotland. The problem is that most industries that can afford to sponsor football teams are not exactly morally appropriate, to me at least. Big money is usually dirty money.

It’s back to discussions held previously when we tried to, briefly, before they unsurprisingly collapsed, have a crypto sponsor, or indeed when Marathon were involved.

Ultimately, Hibs, or any other club, can choose to be sponsored by a gambling, alcohol, debt collection or whatever else company at their own discretion. It’s not illegal.

Where it grates for me is if the club continues to say it wants to be part of the community, it wants to encourage healthy behaviour in the fan base, it wants to make a positive impact, it wants to be green (energy, not colour!) and so on. At that point it becomes entirely fair to critique the choices the club makes, or the whole thing just stinks of hypocrisy.

I have it on good authority* that this is what's going to be on Hibs' shirts next season.

Harp_lager_logo.jpg

* My dad's postie is never wrong

Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    Gambling companies revenue is based on 5% of their customers, high spending addicts..their whole business model is now based on high RGN online gaming which industries such as horse racing has happily allowed themselves to be conflated with.

A perverse Industry that's regulated by an incompetent gambling Commision who hand out fines on a monthly basis for social responsibility failings but never suspend licenses.

Gambling isn't what it was 30-50 years ago.
    I've argued for some time that gambling and gaming should be treated as completely different entities.

Sports betting can be and indeed is problematic but the gaming sides of the major bookmakers is where the real damage is often done. The max spin limits on the FOBTs has seen developers find relatively unsophisticated ways around them but it's within the new laws. Online is just a frontier and a huge part of the advertising and marketing of gaming is about tempting the serial loser back to the table as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I'm not a drinker, smoker or gambler. I tend to never watch adverts and when I see anything on Facebook etc more than once it tend to make me think worse of a company/product. I did stop drinking Strongbow a wee while back so advertising does impact me.

I'd far rather we had a sponsor we can be proud of or at least one that has links to the community, Edinburgh or Scotland. The problem is that most industries that can afford to sponsor football teams are not exactly morally appropriate, to me at least. Big money is usually dirty money.
    We’ve had gin and whisky sponsors for years. What am I missing. This whole links to the community thing is great for the club to give back but we are never going to get decent sponsorship from a local firm etc.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    What is an ‘ethical’ sponsor? Banks? Car manufacturers? I’d rather have an alcohol sponsor personally.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Guinness with a harp would be good, and it has health benefits

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I’ve heard it’s a company called Bantr.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    😃👍
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    Lol, is that down to our American connections 😂

@hibs.net private member
    Righto, so, hello everyone.

I've been a member here for a long, long time but never posted before, read through the site every day, almost feel like I know you all, been close to posting before but there's aways someone who comes along and says what I want to say so I end up not bothering. Life long Hibee, obvs.

Anyhoo, I've heard a wee whisper about the new shirt sponsor.

It's a company called BEVVY.

Quote Originally Posted by babahibs View Post

I've been a member here for a long, long time but never posted before, read through the site every day, almost feel like I know you all, been close to posting before but there's aways someone who comes along and says what I want to say so I end up not bothering. Life long Hibee, obvs.

They have had a big advert in the South Stand for a while so that could make sense.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    We’ve had gin and whisky sponsors for years. What am I missing. This whole links to the community thing is great for the club to give back but we are never going to get decent sponsorship from a local firm etc.
    Crabbies would be an example of a local company. I appreciate the wider the net the more chance of more money but money isn't everything for me and I agree with an earlier poster saying that there is a bit of a contradiction setting yourself up as a community club and deriving income from products/industries that clearly harm significant parts of that community. It is a dilemma as those with big advertising budgets are often in Industries that are bad for communities

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I sort of agree with you.

I just feel really sorry for people with gambling addictions who are football fans, adverts are everywhere for it. Must be difficult for them to switch off from it.
    I think it’s a hard one to balance, that’s the element of personal responsibility and choice but at the same time these businesses are really bad for some people.

We got an offer from a US betting company recently to sponsor Longbangers, it was really good money but when we weighed it up with the podcasts we’ve done on mental health, I couldn’t do it.

I think shirt sponsorship is a bit different, it’s more passive advertising than reading out stuff encouraging you to be but i still think it’s something I’d rather Hibs avoided.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Hope this is true just so the joke is quite near reality!

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar

Tacky as **** if true
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Hope this is true lol, would be pretty iconic

Looks like there are a few companies with that name, don't think any of them would be big enough to buy that spot though.

More likely a back or sleeve sponsor maybe?
    Last edited by 1van Sprou7e; 12-06-2023 at 06:58 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Tacky as **** if true
    It’s not a tacky company?

Only drinks company we should have on front of our home shirt is 7up now that would be some shirt.