hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Testimonial Due

New Shirt Sponsor?

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/articl...ve-partnership

Going by this looks like might be getting new **** sponsor that wouldn't be allowed on kids tops, so booze or bettings?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Possibly Eden Mill or Gleann Mor?

I really, really hope it's not a gambling company. I know Marathon Bet were very engaged but I was glad when we moved beyond that and disappointed when we took a deal with Marsbet (not sure if that is still live).

I get other will argue we should just be happy if it's a lucrative deal and will point out the harms of other types of sponsors but for me the gambling industry is just so toxic currently I hope Hibs steer well clear.

Hopefully it's just 2 separate deals to maximise income and the adult shirt sponsor avoids taking a backwards step.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Apparently it’s the car hire company Hertz…

Quote Originally Posted by mcohibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apparently it’s the car hire company Hertz…
    Marketing genius, a subtle '**** the' woven into the fabric just above would look amazing.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    No gambling or alcohol please.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    No gambling or alcohol please.
    My choice, I’m over 18 y’know.

@hibs.net private member hibsforeurope's Avatar
    Hopefully not a gambling company but with the EPL ban on companies they might see Scotland as a good market to get in to.

I'm fine with a gambling company. Whoever gives us the most money.

Didn't mind when we had ' Marathon bet or Crabbies ' tbh and won't mind again if it's a betting company or drinks company. Take who's going to pay the most coin .
    https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...mpaign-4178946

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I sort of agree with you.

I just feel really sorry for people with gambling addictions who are football fans, adverts are everywhere for it. Must be difficult for them to switch off from it.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    I just want the kids shirts to have sponsors. They (unlike adults) are bothered about having the same shirts that their favourite players wear.

Like has been said, I’m not too bothered. Whoever gives us most money.

J

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Agree, if someone has a gambling addiction, and I realise it's something that's hard to kick, having them on the front of the shirts won't make a difference.

I'm not an addict myself, but I did have a few apps back in the day to do online betting.

Ladbrokes, bet365 etc never sponsored Hibs and I used them, but never used marathon bet myself.

Just cause Eden mill sponsor them doesn't mean I will be asking for a gin from them .

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Seen on another thread that Utilita are now our kids shirt sponsors. That would point to us having a gambling or booze company for the main sponsor.

Will have to change it for Europe as both are banned in their competitions. Hence West Hams plain shirt.

I have a Carling sponsored away shirt from 2005 up on my wall. Never used, but we had Whyte and Mackay as a sponsor and couldn’t have hard liquor on shirts.

J

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ozwoody View Post
    Agree, if someone has a gambling addiction, and I realise it's something that's hard to kick, having them on the front of the shirts won't make a difference.

I'm not an addict myself, but I did have a few apps back in the day to do online betting.

Ladbrokes, bet365 etc never sponsored Hibs and I used them, but never used marathon bet myself.

Just cause Eden mill sponsor them doesn't mean I will be asking for a gin from them .
    I agree with you, but I don't think that is the main issue. It's subconscious to an addict. If they haven't thought about betting and then see a betting advertisement at the football that may, subconsciously, lead to them place a bet (or many more) that day even if they are trying to kick it.

It's about triggers, not the actual betting company.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    I agree with you, but I don't think that is the main issue. It's subconscious to an addict. If they haven't thought about betting and then see a betting advertisement at the football that may, subconsciously, lead to them place a bet (or many more) that day even if they are trying to kick it.

That’s right, if it didn’t raise awareness to encourage betting, they wouldn’t do it.

With the gambling white paper out it's clear that gamblings relationship football needs to change.

Absolutely no need for a gambling sponsor for hibs and Kensell said last year that in the near future any gambling sponsorship - mars/quinn bet will be phased out.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozwoody View Post

Its the bigger picture though, I was dependent on alcohol but I sorted myself out, like you though I didnt reach for a Carlsberg, Whyte and Mackay whisky or an Eden Mill gin, nor do I really bet.

However, sponsorship is there for a reason and it will have its draw, even if it attracts one person, whether be it an introduction to alcohol or gambling or a relapse then thats one too many

I say that as Ive lost friends and family to both

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post

I posted a link to an article recently that stated after some investigation they found that gambling logos or advertising can appear 700 (that's seven hundred) times in a single EPL match. It's unlikely to be as high in Scotland but it will still be a stupidly high number.

Problem gambling and gambling addiction is a barely concealed epidemic, particularly among younger men, but gambling daily or placing high stakes bets is so normalised it's not treated as seriously as it should be. The 'I'm alright Jack and everyone should show the same personal responsibility as I do' mentality just doesn't fly. There's a wider social responsibility that all football teams, and beyond, should be taking seriously.

I like a bet so I'm not being all puritanical about it but the leeway given to gambling companies compared to things like alcohol or tobacco when it comes to advertising is all wrong.

Hopefully this is all hypothetical and Hibs unveil a sponsor from a totally different sphere. We won't have a choice soon enough anyway as a ban is almost inevitable and about time too.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Its the bigger picture though, I was dependent on alcohol but I sorted myself out, like you though I didnt reach for a Carlsberg, Whyte and Mackay whisky or an Eden Mill gin, nor do I really bet.

However, sponsorship is there for a reason and it will have its draw, even if it attracts one person, whether be it an introduction to alcohol or gambling or a relapse then thats one too many

I say that as Ive lost friends and family to both
    I understand that and I commiserate that both alcohol and gambling have effected you, and others , in your life.

Sponsorship has a reason to be there, both financially for a club and for the company that's sponsoring ( let's be honest, they aren't sponsors for sake of health), but if you are an addict, whether it's drink or gambling, you were an addiction prior to name being put on a shirt, it may give you another stream to be addicted to, but most addicts know where they are going to spend money on.

Banning drink or gambling sites is waste of time cause everyone knows sites already.

No issue at all with sponsorship from gambling or alcohol companies. The more income we can get in the better. Highest bidder.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    A return to Carlsberg would be smart
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    No issue at all with sponsorship from gambling or alcohol companies. The more income we can get in the better. Highest bidder.
    This.

Simply seeing a company logo on a shirt is in no way encouraging gambling or drinking, otherwise we should ban any form of advertising of such products everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    This.

Simply seeing a company logo on a shirt is in no way encouraging gambling or drinking, otherwise we should ban any form of advertising of such products everywhere!
    Can’t tell if this is serious or not?

It’s the most visible piece of advertising at a football club, whichever company is on the front of the shirt.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by yonder1875 View Post
    Can’t tell if this is serious or not?

It’s the most visible piece of advertising at a football club, whichever company is on the front of the shirt.
    Of course it’s serious!

I am well aware that there are products and services available to me that could do myself or others harm, but I choose not to endulge in them, just as everyone is free to choose not to gamble or not to drink.

Advertising and marketing’s goal is to make consumers aware of companies existence but simply popping a logo somewhere visible is the least amount of encouragement going.

Let’s put it this way… having Utility on the front of the shirt didn’t make me spontaneously sign up to their service… it made me aware the company, yes, but didn’t inspire me to use their services.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    It's a difficult one. Sponsorship is of course there to attract customers, but it's worth remembering that its not just a deliberate ploy to specifically entice problem drinkers/gamblers (although of course it can sometimes have a negative effect on some of those people).

Betting companies who advertise are mainly targeting the majority of punters who gamble responsibly and are going to have a bet anyway. They are therefore competing for market share with their rivals and clever advertising will help with this. I see nothing wrong with that. Alcohol marketing for example is vital for the Scottish Economy in helping Whisky producers to position premium products and grow the sector, providing jobs and economic boosts to many remote and rural communities across Scotland. Of course these things have to be balanced with the potential negative effects on those with addictions.

Legislation may come in at some point to stop alcohol and or gambling companies being allowed on football shirts anyway - but its not a straightforward "it must be done" decision. Until then (if it ever happens) then I don't have a problem with us using these companies.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 12-06-2023 at 01:14 PM.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    There is also stricter rules around advertising products to children that would be considered nutritionally poor (eg high in sugar). Could we finally be getting sponsored by 7up?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I know they wouldnt do it if it was not worth it, but i couldnt even tell you who sponsored us this season, i've no idea who sponsored us last season, but i can remember the Crabbies one.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    There is also stricter rules around advertising products to children that would be considered nutritionally poor (eg high in sugar). Could we finally be getting sponsored by 7up?
    I don't know why but I read that as if you were Jonathan Ross on The Masked Singer.

I hope it’s Marlboro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk