hibs.net Messageboard

How lucky we are to be born a Hibbie

7 0
    6 2
    3 2 - Best day of my life and I was there

2. Log in to remove the advert

Got those t-shirts.

Also 3 league cups, 6-1 v Sporting Lisbon and many other Euro nights.
    And Drybrough cup finals inc the best match I’ve ever seen: 5-3 v Celtic
    I’m a wee bit tipsy now so not gonna post more but thanks for reminder of how lucky I am to be a hibby.

@hibs.net private member Newcastlehibby's Avatar
    I wasn’t born a Hibee. My Father had little interest in football. A friend’s Father was and in 1965, I was invited to go to Easter Road with them. That was me hooked. I was very fortunate to experience some great players, teams and results in the 60’s and 70’s before I left to take up a job in Newcastle where I have been ever since.

Still a Hibby though, I couldn’t support anyone else.

@hibs.net private member
    It’s nature and nurture

First Team Breakthrough
    Dad was Hibs but never forced me so when I was about 9 when we were living in Dundee he took me to a midweek match at Tannadice and went in home end, think it was 4 to 1 to Hibs and that was me hooked.
    Followed them everywhere till I left home at 19 to join Royal Navy so missed a canny few seasons until I left and settled here in North East, family here and work settled and some 30 years later I'm still a season ticket holder and love my team and everything about Hibs more than ever, love driving or getting train up on match day and wear my scarf with pride. Can't wait for Euro draw as an away fixture has been on my bucket list for years.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    I wasn’t born a Hibbie either.

growing up in northern Ireland most of my mates were Rangers or Celtic. It became apparent to me quite early on that I was neither..

on our annual visits on the ferry to Scotland each summer (long before we could afford to go ‘abroad’), I fell in love with Edinburgh. And Hibs, with those beautiful green shirts with the white sleeves, seemed like the natural choice.

Being a Hibs fan is rarely easy - I’m convinced I would still have a full head of hair if it wasn’t for them, but I can honestly say there are no regrets.

I feel some good will towards the Manchester City supporters who suffered in the shadows of United for so long, but the younger generation who know only this? Don’t envy them in the slightest. They have been deprived (or have voluntarily deprived themselves if they’ve jumped on the bandwagon) of the bitter sweet pain and pleasure that comes from being a football fan. What’s pain for them? Losing the odd game every few months? Going a season without winning the league?

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wasn’t born a Hibbie either.

growing up in northern Ireland most of my mates were Rangers or Celtic. It became apparent to me quite early on that I was neither..

on our annual visits on the ferry to Scotland each summer (long before we could afford to go ‘abroad’), I fell in love with Edinburgh. And Hibs, with those beautiful green shirts with the white sleeves, seemed like the natural choice.

Being a Hibs fan is rarely easy - I’m convinced I would still have a full head of hair if it wasn’t for them, but I can honestly say there are no regrets.

I feel some good will towards the Manchester City supporters who suffered in the shadows of United for so long, but the younger generation who know only this? Don’t envy them in the slightest. They have been deprived (or have voluntarily deprived themselves if they’ve jumped on the bandwagon) of the bitter sweet pain and pleasure that comes from being a football fan. What’s pain for them? Losing the odd game every few months? Going a season without winning the league?
    I think we'd all like a bit more success but not to the point where it totally dulls the good times because they become so run of the mill. There's a video from in among the Man City fans at FT last night and I've seen more enthusiastic celebrations from us when we have scored in a LC group stage game:

https://twitter.com/FBAwayDays/status/1667664643722997760?t=MusRSHeygMrUGJt2vOzA2A&s=19

I'd genuinely hate to support a club who win everything, can buy who they like and who lose perspective of what the really bad times are. Mind you Hibs sometimes take it a bit too far the other way......
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I think we'd all like a bit more success but not to the point where it totally dulls the good times because they become so run of the mill. There's a video from in among the Man City fans at FT last night and I've seen more enthusiastic celebrations from us when we have scored in a LC group stage game:

https://twitter.com/FBAwayDays/statu...Jt2vOzA2A&s=19

I'd genuinely hate to support a club who win everything, can buy who they like and who lose perspective of what the really bad times are. Mind you Hibs sometimes take it a bit too far the other way......
    that video is incredible.

a half hearted cheer, a lot of polite applause, a couple of youngsters hugging, most people just standing smiling (some not even doing that) and filming on their phones.

I don’t expect them to be like us at about 16:55 on 21/05/16 but jeezo make a bit of an effort. Even pretend!

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal G View Post
    Dad was Hibs but never forced me so when I was about 9 when we were living in Dundee he took me to a midweek match at Tannadice and went in home end, think it was 4 to 1 to Hibs and that was me hooked.
    Followed them everywhere till I left home at 19 to join Royal Navy so missed a canny few seasons until I left and settled here in North East, family here and work settled and some 30 years later I'm still a season ticket holder and love my team and everything about Hibs more than ever, love driving or getting train up on match day and wear my scarf with pride. Can't wait for Euro draw as an away fixture has been on my bucket list for years.
    Hazy memory,but there might have been a Cup replay back then with that result.
    Certainly on league business (i checked fixtures!) on 18th September 1971,at Tannadice ,that was the result,with Jimmy O'Rourke scoring on his 25th birthday.

My Mothers family and cousins/relatives in the Grassmarket/West Port area to a man an woman bled Green.
    So that was the DNA
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 11-06-2023 at 10:08 AM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    Hazy memory,but there might have been a Cup replay back then with that result.
    Certainly on league business (i checked fixtures!) on 18th September 1971,at Tannadice ,that was the result,with Jimmy O'Rourke scoring on his 25th birthday.

My Mothers family and cousins/relatives in the Grassmarket/West Port area to a man an woman bled Green.
    So that was the DNA
    Found it....

https://arabarchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=2853

First Team Breakthrough

That video 🤫. Sunshine on Leith it wasn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal G View Post
    Well done !
    I thought my guess would not have been the game you mention.(your age)
    4-1 up there,even back then was a good result .
    Your game (date) seems to be final match of the season.
    Maybe re-arranged game due to earlier postponement.
    Note my earlier game has Jimmy scoring, your one has his eventual replacement Harper getting a goal with Alan Gordon on the bench
    Oh dear, Eddie T! God bless ye !

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    that video is incredible.

a half hearted cheer, a lot of polite applause, a couple of youngsters hugging, most people just standing smiling (some not even doing that) and filming on their phones.

I don’t expect them to be like us at about 16:55 on 21/05/16 but jeezo make a bit of an effort. Even pretend!
    Says as much about the Champions League as it does the modern day Manchester City.

A dull, uninteresting and mind numbingly predictable tournament. The sort of opposite of what a great tournament should be, where all the excitement and glamour nights are in the early rounds, with the spectacle diluting as the tournament progresses to a traditional snooze fest finale.

First Team Breakthrough

Red face

Don’t know about being lucky, but would not change my team for any thing
    GGTTH

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by ozhibs View Post
    Don’t know about being lucky, but would not change my team for any thing
    GGTTH
    I’m always distrustful of anyone who tells me they ‘used to support’ someone else but now support another team.

I reckon you can change, your country of residence, nationality and/or wife etc and that’s no big deal in my eyes, but change your fitba team?

Unacceptable in the extreme!

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    I’m always distrustful of anyone who tells me they ‘used to support’ someone else but now support another team.

I reckon you can change, your country of residence, nationality and/or wife etc and that’s no big deal in my eyes, but change your fitba team?

Unacceptable in the extreme!
    Was born in Gorgie in the 1950’s I was a latch key kid a keelie Gorgie was my patch I used to go to the Tivoli Picture House and skip in to Tiny every other week

My first strip was a Hearts strip

My Dad was a Hibby brought up with the Famous Five and Joe Baker but in fairness he never tried to change my mind

That all changed in 1968 when he took me Hibs v Leeds United 40000 crowd the green jerseys with white sleeves running out reflecting resplendently under the drench floodlighting

I was hooked I thought ‘ That is my team’

The following Saturday I was standing at the Bus Stop in Gorgie waiting on the #1 to take me down the Easter Road cobbles with my Hibs scarf on

Never looked back and seen some great teams over the years that have played entertaining attacking exciting football

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar

https://twitter.com/FBAwayDays/status/1667664643722997760?t=MusRSHeygMrUGJt2vOzA2A&s=19

Wow! No comparison between them and the West Ham fans a few nights before and there is no comparison between the trophies being played for, but it’s all about the passion. Would rather have been a West Ham fan winning the conference cup than a Man City fan winning Champions League

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Was born in Gorgie in the 1950’s I was a latch key kid a keelie Gorgie was my patch I used to go to the Tivoli Picture House and skip in to Tiny every other week

My Dad was a Hibby brought up with the Famous Five and Joe Baker but in fairness he never tried to change my mind

That all changed in 1968 when he took me Hibs v Leeds United 40000 crowd the green jerseys with white sleeves running out reflecting resplendently under the drench floodlighting

The following Saturday I was standing at the Bus Stop in Gorgie waiting on the #1 to take me down the Easter Road cobbles with my Hibs scarf on

Never looked back and seen some great teams over the years that have played entertaining attacking exciting football
    How do we ken yer no a Jambo ‘sleeper’?

TBF…I was really talking about adults changing……….you were young and innocent back then……

Ive been fortunate enough to be at a champions league final, if you are not behind the goal then you are 99% guaranteed to be a corporate invite.

you're doing the real fans an injustice there, either team would have a very small actual away support, the footage is clearly not in the actual fans away end.

Great game for your baptism. Robbed though. with the 4 step goalie rule.
    They went on to win it. also beatin oldco and Dundee (semi final !!!!) All close games iirc

I once lost a quarter of toffee doddles in the Tivoli.
    devastated,i was !
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 14-06-2023 at 04:45 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    I inherited my love of Hibs from my old man but I’m surrounded by a large family of Celtic fans and I wouldn’t change it for anything. At an age now where I can enjoy a day out with Hibs irrespective of the result but the highs I’ve had, however rare, just couldn’t be matched by following a team that wins to consistently and expectedly. Sounds a bit silly I guess but I just don’t see my family members getting the same buzz as I do from a good Hibs result🤷🏼

They went on to win it. also beatin oldco and Dundee (semi final !!!!) All close games iirc

devastated,i was !
    Pretty sure the Leeds goalkeeper Gary Sprake was doing it all night but the Welsh Referee Clive Thomas from their league just had to be the centre of attention shudda been a foul on Willie Wilson for obstruction Dirty Leeds

Pretty sure the Leeds goalkeeper Gary Sprake was doing it all night but the Welsh Referee Clive Thomas from their league just had to be the centre of attention shudda been a foul on Willie Wilson for obstruction Dirty Leeds
    Dirty Leeds tag stuck for a while, Don Revie would described such antics as professionalism
    They knew they got through with the help of the ref.
    I think,not just you,but given the size of the crowd,we may have got a lot of "new" fans that night

Leeds local press take on the game
    January 10th 1968
    In the Fairs Cup against Hibs. Going into the game nursing a one goal advantage from the first leg, United found themselves level on aggregate after just four minutes.
    Eric Stanger in the Post: 'Though Leeds set off at a hustle it was Hibernian who got the early goal to square the tie. Cormack began a drive through the Leeds middle,Quinn put Stein through,
    and the centre-forward, lying on the right of the penalty area, lobbed the ball over the head of the advancing Sprake.'

United were vulnerable to swift Scottish attacks, and they were pegged back for most of the game.
    It seemed certain that the game would go to extra-time, but with five minutes left whistle happy Welsh referee Clive Thomas penalised Hibs keeper Wilson under the newly introduced four steps rule. With Jones, Lorimer and Greenhoff rushing in as decoys, Giles clipped the ball to the back post for Jack Charlton to outjump everybody and nod home a decider.

Don Revie described the game as 'Another fine example of the team's professionalism', though he knew how close they had come to being put out of the competition.

Eric Todd in The Guardian:
    'Hibernian never will forgive themselves for not establishing themselves in an unassailable position during the first half when Bremner and Hunter were dispossessed with most unusual regularity.
    Hibernian were quicker to anticipate the lively behaviour of the ball on the frosty pitch but that was as far as their appreciation went.
    Leeds' improvement after half time denied Hibernian more than one or two chances of increasing their first half lead.'
    And they went on to win the Fairs Cup !

I know some regale the night of the Athens game, atmosphere,etc
    This game had double that crowd.
    Officially 40.503
    But there were more in the Holy Ground that night.
    I turned sweet 16 that month

Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 14-06-2023 at 05:21 PM.

devastated,i was !
    Were the Toffee Doddles from the wee sweetie shop just under the Bridge?

Used to go there for my Doddles, Chocolate Chewing Nuts and Pineapple Chunks making sure I had enough left over for my jooblie handy for throwing off the Balcony Begbie style
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 14-06-2023 at 08:55 PM.