hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The season they turned 20:

Kyogo was playing for his University football team.
    Colak was playing in the Bavarian regional league.
    Sakala was playing in the Zambian leagues.
    Van Veen was playing amateur football in the Dutch 5th tier.
    Duk had only made 1 appearance for Benfica B.
    Josh Ginnelly played 13 games on loan at Lincoln in the 5th tier, 0 goals.
    Miovski had only scored 6 goals in his professional career.
    James Collins had scored 7 in 20 in EFL League Two
    Rowan Vine had scored 25 in 100 in what is now EFL League One
    Jason Cummings had scored 47 goals for us

There’s examples both ways. The key thing is here that we’ve all watched Melkersen deliver pretty much nothing for Hibs, a much more important factor than how a bunch of other guys that are completely unrelated to Melkersen had done by that age.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    17 games that sounds loads.

In reality he was on the pitch together with Boyle for 43 minutes. He was on the pitch together with Youan for 258 minutes during a time when Youan wasn’t very good.

He spent 0 minutes on the pitch at the same time as both Boyle and Youan.
    And the question people always fail to answer when they make this point is why? Why is that the amount of minutes he had?

The answer? Because he was nowhere near good enough to deserve more. Not getting the minutes seems to have become a cop out for not playing to the required level when you do get your chance, a bit like the cries for McKirdy to only be judged when he gets a run of starts despite the fact he is nowhere near deserving of that.

At this point in time he is absolutely miles off our first team.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    James Collins had scored 7 in 20 in EFL League Two
    Rowan Vine had scored 25 in 100 in what is now EFL League One
    Jason Cummings had scored 47 goals for us

There’s examples both ways. The key thing is here that we’ve all watched Melkersen deliver pretty much nothing for Hibs, a much more important factor than how a bunch of other guys that are completely unrelated to Melkersen had done by that age.
    Most of them was in the championship.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Hopefully he'll benefit from playing alongside Boyle and Youan rather than Jasper/Mueller or Doidge

High hopes still for Melk
    Good point.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Sauz View Post
    They were. He also had 8 in 18 in cups though.

Put it this way, I’ve no faith that Melkersen would have had those kind of numbers playing in the league Cummings was. None whatsoever.

First Team Breakthrough
    Hopefully he'll have had some good training at Sparta and picked up some useful skills from whoever is there. I think he has the potential to come good.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Sauz View Post
    A young guy scoring goals in the championship is a great achievement to be fair.

Cummings at 19 year old got 21 goals in his first full season at Hibs, so what if it was in the Championship? Scored 4 of those v Rangers, 2 v Hearts. Averaged a goal every 2 games. If there was a 19 year old doing that in the Scottish Championship now I'd be hoping we had him signed up!

Oh dear, folk claiming they see a player.

He needs to move on and free up a wage, we signed this guy because he holds the same passport as Haaland (I know he was born in Leeds btw).

Quote Originally Posted by I'm Spartacus View Post

He needs to move on and free up a wage, we signed this guy because he holds the same passport as Haaland (I know he was born in Leeds btw).
    He's only 20 i think. Can't see him being on a big wage. I don't think he's anywhere near ready for our first team yet but he has time on his side. Definitely needs to be loaned out, preferably to the Championship.

@hibs.net private member
    Boy clearly had talent just needs nurtured. I’d give him a run in pre season see what he’s offering snd if he still looks off it, 6/12 month loan to a bottom six club or top end scottish champ side. He will come good I reckon.

I’m sticking my neck out with this one and saying exact same scenario with Tavares.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm Spartacus View Post

I think there is a player there and i wouldn't be in a rush to get rid of him yet especially when we have older player's in our squad that I think would be better moved on to free up wages .

The loan to Sparta didn't help in his development and if we could get him a loan move to a decent championship side like a Dundee Utd or Inverness for a year it just might be beneficial to him . He's only 20 and he's one we could certainly give more time too imo.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Was there not a quote from him when he joined Sparta something along the lines of youngsters get a chance here, sounded a bit bitter towards Hibs, wonder how he feels how after zero starts

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    A young guy scoring goals in the championship is a great achievement to be fair.

Cummings at 19 year old got 21 goals in his first full season at Hibs, so what if it was in the Championship? Scored 4 of those v Rangers, 2 v Hearts. Averaged a goal every 2 games. If there was a 19 year old doing that in the Scottish Championship now I'd be hoping we had him signed up!
    It's hard to compare players, but worth mentioning that Cummings scored 2 in 18 appearances in his first season at Hibs. He was younger and playing in a side that would be relegated.

Melkersen at the same age scored 19 in 29 appearances in the Norway's second tier.

I think he's got talent and can come good. I would rather he stayed at Hibs and was given the chance to compete for a place this coming season.

To be honest i thought Motherwell game was marker For Elias and hasnt kicked on from there albeit injury and form sure he can come good 👍

As somebody else said, I'm more confident Melkersen will improve under LJ than Maloney with players like Jasper and Mueller along side him.

Quote Originally Posted by California-Hibs View Post
    Quite the contrary, in many ways their unbounded optimism at times annoys me to the point where I moan just for the sheer sake of it so I can feel closer to home and a sense of normal haha
    Indeed. When out and about I've started replying 'not bad' or ' worse days' , to the ubiquitous 'How are you today'

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    It's hard to compare players, but worth mentioning that Cummings scored 2 in 18 appearances in his first season at Hibs. He was younger and playing in a side that would be relegated.

Melkersen at the same age scored 19 in 29 appearances in the Norway's second tier.

I think he's got talent and can come good. I would rather he stayed at Hibs and was given the chance to compete for a place this coming season.
    To be honest, I can't imagine the standard of the Norwegian 2nd division to be anything to write home about - maybe comparable to Scottish League 1.

Scottish league is ranked 9th best in Europe, vs Norway sitting at 16th. Appreciate that the OF will heavily influence the Scottish ranking, however - the big clubs (Rosenborg, Molde) in Norway are not of a similar standard. By extension, I think it's reasonable to say that their entire league standard is weaker.

Like others, I think a loan to the Scottish Championship - to any team who will be able to guarantee Melkersen a starting position - should be the chosen option. If he fails to do the business there, probably time to get rid next summer

I think he has lots of really good attributes

Good touch, good turn on the ball, shows good skill etc. Pretty solid for his age and has decent pace without being rapid.

But he’s not a winger and hasn’t showed enough to be a lone striker - probably due to his age and size more than anything.

He also has rarely showing what his shooting is like, I can rarely think of an occasion I’ve thought “great hit” or he’s unlucky there when he’s hit a shot. Mainly struggles to get in that position and when he has not been quite sharp enough to create a yard for a shot.

I still have confidence he can do well in this league.

Look at Bruce Anderson at Livi for example, does well for them through playing games. At Melkersen got that game time at Livi or another SPFL team through the middle I’d expect him to get double figures.

The issue at Hibs is we have Nisbet up top who will always start, and even when he goes we’ll look to replace him with close to similar quality.

Hopefully Melkersen starts showing off the bench and the chances he gets from the quality he has

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    The loan was bizarre when it happened and just as bizarre now that it’s finished

I can’t help thinking that any chance he might have had of being a good player will have been seriously hampered by joining Hibs.

Personally I don’t think he’s nearly ready to be contributing regularly for Hibs and his next few career decisions are going to need to be a bit wiser than his last few if he’s to turn it around.

One good game against Motherwell and the occasional flash of something isn’t enough.

@hibs.net private member
    The lad signed for us just after he turned 19 with only a little experience of playing 2nd tier football in his own country, was thrown into the first team due to injuries and the sale of Boyle when the team's form was very poor without a chance to even settle into a foreign country. He then gets put on loan for a season to Sparta where he was clearly unlikely to be starting. I don't think we've managed this lad very well so far. If the manager doesn't fancy him and wants to free up the wages then fair enough but I think there's a good player there if we are patient.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    The lad signed for us just after he turned 19 with only a little experience of playing 2nd tier football in his own country, was thrown into the first team due to injuries and the sale of Boyle when the team's form was very poor without a chance to even settle into a foreign country. He then gets put on loan for a season to Sparta where he was clearly unlikely to be starting. I don't think we've managed this lad very well so far. If the manager doesn't fancy him and wants to free up the wages then fair enough but I think there's a good player there if we are patient.
    He had half of this season here as well where he again done very little.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Clean slate, really want the lad to do well here, and show that we can and will nurture young talent.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Would far rather have him than McKirdy but he has to be played through the middle and not out wide. He may never make it with us but still think he is worth persevering with for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by eastmainsmsh View Post
    To be honest i thought Motherwell game was marker For Elias and hasnt kicked on from there albeit injury and form sure he can come good 👍
    The two goals he got in the Motherwell game were excellent , first one his efforts to keep on side and movement was excellent . The 2nd one was just a clinical finish that most strikers would be proud of . Still think the lad has the makings of a good player .

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SickBoy32 View Post
    To be honest, I can't imagine the standard of the Norwegian 2nd division to be anything to write home about - maybe comparable to Scottish League 1.

Scottish league is ranked 9th best in Europe, vs Norway sitting at 16th. Appreciate that the OF will heavily influence the Scottish ranking, however - the big clubs (Rosenborg, Molde) in Norway are not of a similar standard. By extension, I think it's reasonable to say that their entire league standard is weaker.

Like others, I think a loan to the Scottish Championship - to any team who will be able to guarantee Melkersen a starting position - should be the chosen option. If he fails to do the business there, probably time to get rid next summer
    It's a moot point, the standards of our leagues v other nations, but possibly so. We seem to have quite a few full time professional sides in our lower leagues, probably more than most nations of our size. He needs to be playing regularly, definitely, I'd like it to be at Hibs though. There's a golden opportunity with Nisbet going. Maybe I'm placing too many hopes in a good 90 mins v Motherwell (v 10 men for a long period etc).

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Really hope it works out at Hibs for him. Though a season without first team football can't have helped his development any.

Hopefully assess him during pre-season and if we don't think he's ready then a smart loan move somewhere he's likely to feature a lot.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    It's a moot point, the standards of our leagues v other nations, but possibly so. We seem to have quite a few full time professional sides in our lower leagues, probably more than most nations of our size. He needs to be playing regularly, definitely, I'd like it to be at Hibs though. There's a golden opportunity with Nisbet going. Maybe I'm placing too many hopes in a good 90 mins v Motherwell (v 10 men for a long period etc).
    Motherwell with 10 men, you can only piss with the cock you have, pisses me off how many times this is used to diss his goals v Motherwell, they were both well taken goals that Motherwell had to defend against, give the lad some credit ffs, he still had to put those chances away

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Motherwell with 10 men, you can only piss with the cock you have, pisses me off how many times this is used to diss his goals v Motherwell, they were both well taken goals that Motherwell had to defend against, give the lad some credit ffs, he still had to put those chances away
    His excellent performance against Motherwell should be acknowledged and appreciated, however it should also be noted that it's the only time he's ever really looked the part for us.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    Should’ve been loaned out to a level where he would’ve played more regularly. The laddie has hardly kicked a ball in a competitive game for a year🙈
    Indeed. What was the strategy/plan when he was signed.

A fee of £400k was mentioned when he was signed and let's face it what is he worth now. Seems a likeable lad but you do wonder his state on mind on how his career in the last 18 months has gone.

Maybe time back home in Norway in the summer will do him good but it will be interesting what happens when he comes back.

Unlike many of our signings he did show some promise but I remember his performance one night at ER against Ross Co when we got beat 2-0. One of the low points in the season. That night he tried all kind of flicks to link play but absolutely nothing came off. Looked a wee boy lost and was eventually subbed. It must be said that night was lamentable and no one in a Hibs jersey performed.

It's going to take a huge turnaround in his fortunes to become a 1st team player at Hibs. It must be said we have not managed his career too well in pumping him off to The Netherlands to get very few minutes any it's very unlikely he's come back a better player.

As I've said he is likeable, unlike one of our other forwards. But my gut feeling is he won't be around much longer after the summer.