hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hibs team 23/24

Hibs team 23/24

Obviously way too early to know how things will play out but if you were in the position of Johnson and McDermott what would your starting 11 and squad look like next season. I'll start with:

New GK

Miller
    Rocky
    New LCB
    MacIntyre/Stevenson

Newell
    New midfielder
    New midfielder

Boyle
    New striker
    Youan

Current players who still have a part to play as sqaud players:

Marshall
    Hanlon
    Campbell
    Doyle Hayes
    Cadden (recovery permitting)
    Jeggo

Out of contract/loans up:

Fish
    Egan Riley
    Dabrowksi
    McGeady
    Myko
    Hoppe

Likely to leave:

Nisbet

This who can definitely go:

Henderson
    Tavares
    Melkerson
    McKirdy
    Cabraja
    Devlin
    Magennis

Undecided:

MacKay
    Tait
    Delferriere
    Kenneh

Big job imo. Obviously there is a debate to be had but I'd be surprised if most don't agree we need at least 3 or 4 starters who are better than what we had this year and indeed just to replace 3 of our best who are leaving or likely to leave. We probably need a bit depth as well albeit guys like JDH, Hanlon and Jeggo are better quality options if they revert to squad types than those currently warming the bench.

All of that is easy written down of course. Moving on some of the players we have on long contracts will be tricky as it's unlikely many will be in high demand and they are within their rights to sit tight and see out their contracts.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    If it's confirmed Rocky got a red card, then Hanlon + A N Other is likely to be our centre-half pairing for at least the first 3 games (if it's put in as violent conduct) and he also misses our next League Cup game, after the farrago of the Morton game when he played during a suspension (hopefully the knock-out stages if/when we make Europe). If we can get Fish for another year I'd be delighted.

Hanlon has been our best CB this season. Won’t be going anywhere unless he regresses during the break. We do need LCB cover tho.

If ever a game showed how short we are it was yesterday.

The subs we brought on are all miles off it for me.

Yet another window where we need to sort the midfield out, I hope we actually do it this time.

To replace Nisbet is going to be very difficult.

Not seen a huge amount of him but from what I have I’d say McIntyre isn’t ready to compete with Lewis and needs a loan and time to develop, so I’d say we need another left back if Cabraja was to move on.

I think we’re in a bit of a hard place where it’s a mix of do you give players time to adjust and give them a proper chance. Miller has hardly featured all season but the last 2 games we’ve now seen his quality and gives real optimism for next season.

You then have guys like Rocky and Campbell who half the support wanted gone last season but they progressed massively and now are at least good squad players.

Tavares, Kenneh, Delferriere, McLellend, Tait, Hauge, Melkersen.
    and Mackay were all brought in for a reason, could they prove their worth with time to settle and coaching? That said I imagine they’ll all be gone - Kenneh and Melkersen maybe the only ones to get a bit longer.

Doidge, Henderson, McKirdy and Devlin are others I’d add to the list to go.

Add in with the loans/contracts expiring it’s almost another full squad we need to sign.

Huge summer coming up.

Positive comments since January to yesterday from the club about getting guys like Fish, CJ and Myko back which is good.

Left by mutual consent! AL-Qaholik's Avatar
    New GK

Miller
    New CB
    Will Fish
    New LB

New CDM
    New CDM

Boyle
    New #10
    Youan

Myko or New ST

New Manager.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    New goalie who is capable of being first choice (either on loan or permanent). Marshall as backup.

RB on loan to cover for Chris Cadden injury and recovery period. Happy with Cadden and Miller for the 24/25 season so just a loan needed. If funds won’t allow it, I’d consider Deferriere to be the backup.

One permanent new CB, one on loan. Rocky and Hanlon are decent, and if we can get Fish back then excellent. Look to have one of our youth squad take the fourth position in 24/25.

Happy at LB, look to offload Cabraja. Have MacIntyre blooded into the team.

Defensive mid - happy with Jeggo, in the knowledge that JDH can do some of the dirty work in case of suspension or injury. Kenneh isn’t consistent enough for me. Would rather focus on attacking midfielders.

Central and attacking mid - Campbell, I’m not certain about. I think he gives us legs in midfield and on form is a good player. Newell remains without a shadow of a doubt, but we need a proper box to box style midfielder, and two creative attacking midfielders who have technical skill. Henderson, Magennis, Tait, Kenneh all free to leave.

Out wide, two wide players needed with a turn of pace. McKirdy, Tavares, Hauge, Mackay free to go.

Up front, we need three strikers, ideally two permanent. I don’t trust either Doidge or Melkersen to score goals for us but if we had to keep one to bolster numbers, I’d take Doidge. Hopefully young Josh is good for season 24/25.

That makes it at shifting 11-13 players this summer, signing between 9-11 (albeit a few of those we can get away with loans).

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AL-Qaholik View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    New GK

Miller
    New CB
    Will Fish
    New LB

New CDM
    New CDM

Boyle
    New #10
    Youan

Myko or New ST

New Manager.
    So a few tweaks

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    New goalie who is capable of being first choice (either on loan or permanent). Marshall as backup.

RB on loan to cover for Chris Cadden injury and recovery period. Happy with Cadden and Miller for the 24/25 season so just a loan needed. If funds won’t allow it, I’d consider Deferriere to be the backup.

One permanent new CB, one on loan. Rocky and Hanlon are decent, and if we can get Fish back then excellent. Look to have one of our youth squad take the fourth position in 24/25.

Happy at LB, look to offload Cabraja. Have MacIntyre blooded into the team.

Defensive mid - happy with Jeggo, in the knowledge that JDH can do some of the dirty work in case of suspension or injury. Kenneh isn’t consistent enough for me. Would rather focus on attacking midfielders.

Central and attacking mid - Campbell, I’m not certain about. I think he gives us legs in midfield and on form is a good player. Newell remains without a shadow of a doubt, but we need a proper box to box style midfielder, and two creative attacking midfielders who have technical skill. Henderson, Magennis, Tait, Kenneh all free to leave.

Out wide, two wide players needed with a turn of pace. McKirdy, Tavares, Hauge, Mackay free to go.

Up front, we need three strikers, ideally two permanent. I don’t trust either Doidge or Melkersen to score goals for us but if we had to keep one to bolster numbers, I’d take Doidge. Hopefully young Josh is good for season 24/25.

That makes it at shifting 11-13 players this summer, signing between 9-11 (albeit a few of those we can get away with loans).
    I’d be happy enough with Megwa as cover/competing with Miller at right back until Cadden is back.

Been really impressed by him whenever I’ve seen him and seems to have had a good loan.

Can’t remember if he’s one with a loan sorted for next season already actusllly

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    An attacking creative midfielder, a centre half, a keeper, a left back and a striker.

Not squad fillers, players brought in who we expect to start every week.

Don’t bring in 12 average players. Just spend the budget on good players where we need them.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    An attacking creative midfielder, a centre half, a keeper, a left back and a striker.

Not squad fillers, players brought in who we expect to start every week.

Don’t bring in 12 average players. Just spend the budget on good players where we need them.
    The issue with that is that we have a whole bunch of players who aren’t even capable of being squad fillers, they’re simply not of the required standard.

If we only bring in 4-5 we will still need to rely on a few of them.

We defo don’t need a new left back.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Testimonial Due
    A new goalie, 2 CBs, 1 LB, 3 CMs & 2 FWDs.

And please get rid of Henderson, McKirdy, Campbell, Rocky, Cabraja, Doidge, Tavares, JDH, Hauge, McLelland, Tait, Mackay, and any other p*sh I've forgotten about!
    Last edited by MikeyS; 28-05-2023 at 09:40 AM.

Testimonial Due
    The issue with that is that we have a whole bunch of players who aren’t even capable of being squad fillers, they’re simply not of the required standard.

I think we do as Cabraja is not the answer and Lewis has to be just a back up next year if we really want to improve.

Currently under contract for next season, assuming none of the loan players return and omitting our own players who have already committed to loans (eg Johnson)

GK (1) - Marshall
    Defence (7) - Miller, Bushiri, Hanlon, Stevenson; (Cadden), McLelland, Cabraja
    Midfield (9) - Newell, Jeggo, Campbell; Doyle-Hayes, Kennah, Magennis; Tait, Delferriere, Henderson
    Forwards (9) - Boyle, Nisbet, Youann; Tavares, Doidge, McKirdy; Hauge, Melkerson, Mackay

From a purely numbers perspective, we're missing a reserve keeper, RB (Cadden out long term) and CH. But if we want to improve then there are a lot of holes which means a lot of departures

GK - none
    Defence (2) - McLelland (unless he's shown enough promise), Cabraja
    Midfield (5) - one of Jeggo/Kennah, one of Campbell/Magennis, Tait, Delferriere, Henderson
    Forwards (5) - one of Tavares/Mackay (keep whichever has more potential), Doidge, McKirdy, Hauge, Melkerson

I'm willing to keep a couple of youngsters as options from the bench, and expect Nisbet to be sold, so that means we need a GK, RB, CH x 2, LB, three midfielders (defensive, box to box, creative), 2 strikers and a winger.

Twelve and Nisbet to go, with eleven to come in. It would be possible in Football Manager, but in real life I think we'll manage about 75% of the ins and outs.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Currently under contract for next season, assuming none of the loan players return and omitting our own players who have already committed to loans (eg Johnson)

GK (1) - Marshall
    Defence (7) - Miller, Bushiri, Hanlon, Stevenson; (Cadden), McLelland, Cabraja
    Midfield (9) - Newell, Jeggo, Campbell; Doyle-Hayes, Kennah, Magennis; Tait, Delferriere, Henderson
    Forwards (9) - Boyle, Nisbet, Youann; Tavares, Doidge, McKirdy; Hauge, Melkerson, Mackay

From a purely numbers perspective, we're missing a reserve keeper, RB (Cadden out long term) and CH. But if we want to improve then there are a lot of holes which means a lot of departures

GK - none
    Defence (2) - McLelland (unless he's shown enough promise), Cabraja
    Midfield (5) - one of Jeggo/Kennah, one of Campbell/Magennis, Tait, Delferriere, Henderson
    Forwards (5) - one of Tavares/Mackay (keep whichever has more potential), Doidge, McKirdy, Hauge, Melkerson

I'm willing to keep a couple of youngsters as options from the bench, and expect Nisbet to be sold, so that means we need a GK, RB, CH x 2, LB, three midfielders (defensive, box to box, creative), 2 strikers and a winger.

Twelve and Nisbet to go, with eleven to come in. It would be possible in Football Manager, but in real life I think we'll manage about 75% of the ins and outs.
    Brian McDermott has one hell of a job on his hands!! Luckily he doesn't have any hair to lose!

Gamer IDs

The squad fillers will have to do. When does an SPL side, outwith Rangers and Celtc, have a strong bench? Rarely if ever. Get the bones of the team right, and hope you can keep them fit. Aberdeen have finished third, look at the players they have on the bench, *****.

I’ve not seen much at all of McIntyre, but Cabraja is hopeless and Lewis cannae be expected to start every week, he’s coming to the end of his career. We do need a left back.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I’d be happy enough with Megwa as cover/competing with Miller at right back until Cadden is back.

Been really impressed by him whenever I’ve seen him and seems to have had a good loan.

Can’t remember if he’s one with a loan sorted for next season already actusllly
    I was thinking Megwa as cover as well. He's played every game since he went out on loan, then i thought would another season or half season out on loan be better than being back up for him. I think he's the RB within the next couple of seasons.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Obviously way too early to know how things will play out but if you were in the position of Johnson and McDermott what would your starting 11 and squad look like next season. I'll start with:

New GK

Miller
    Rocky
    New LCB
    MacIntyre/Stevenson

Newell
    New midfielder
    New midfielder

Boyle
    New striker
    Youan

Marshall
    Hanlon
    Campbell
    Doyle Hayes
    Jeggo

Fish
    Egan Riley
    Dabrowksi
    McGeady
    Myko
    Hoppe

Likely to leave:

Nisbet

This who can definitely go:

Henderson
    Tavares
    Melkerson
    McKirdy
    Cabraja
    Devlin
    Magennis

Undecided:

MacKay
    Tait
    Delferriere
    Kenneh

Big job imo. Obviously there is a debate to be had but I'd be surprised if most don't agree we need at least 3 or 4 starters who are better than what we had this year and indeed just to replace 3 of our best who are leaving or likely to leave. We probably need a bit depth as well albeit guys like JDH, Hanlon and Jeggo are better quality options if they revert to squad types than those currently warming the bench.

All of that is easy written down of course. Moving on some of the players we have on long contracts will be tricky as it's unlikely many will be in high demand and they are within their rights to sit tight and see out their contracts.
    You're right about it being a big job. We need, at the very least, good players to replace what good players we have at the moment. Too often Hibs get an injury to a key player and that makes a huge difference to the performance through the season. If the money for that isn't available then I think we should expect to finish about midtable each season, but that's just my opinion. It's disappointing that we don't seem to have more youth players breaking into the first team, but heyho.

@hibs.net private member
    At an absolute minimum I’d say:

New GK

Miller
    New RCB
    Hanlon
    Stevenson

Newell
    New CM
    New CM

Boyle
    New CF
    Youan

The positions with new players simply need addressed and it would be inexcusable if they weren’t imo.

On top of that, in an ideal world I’d be looking for a new right back as I think Miller still has to prove himself, a new starting RCB or get fish back, starting LCB, new LB and someone to replace Newell. I realise that’s getting towards a whole new team though and is unrealistic.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 28-05-2023 at 11:39 AM.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Hanlon has been our best CB this season. Won’t be going anywhere unless he regresses during the break. We do need LCB cover tho.
    I agree with you for a change. But I hope you agree that he shouldn't be given the captaincy back if Marshall is replaced. Newell should get the armband.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    I included him in my players who still have a part to play list but I think it's time we had a bit succession planning at LCB.

Hanlon will be 34 mid way through next season and has had repeated injury problems in recent seasons. We are all going to have to get our head around the fact that neither him or Lewis are going to be around that much longer.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Of the current squad Stevenson, Newell, Boyle, Youan and possibly Miller are good enough to start every game. The rest either have to massively ramp up the consistency or be replaced.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Of the current squad Stevenson, Newell, Boyle, Youan and possibly Miller are good enough to start every game. The rest either have to massively ramp up the consistency or be replaced.
    Hanlon easily good enough.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    We were only 5 points of 3rd, not as bad as people are making out, getting over 10 new faces in the new window won’t do Hibs any good, look how long it can take players to bed in

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Hanlon easily good enough.
    Based on this season I’d definitely agree. He’s getting to an age though where you don’t want to be caught out relying on him when the inevitable decline really starts to kick in like we’ve done with Marshall.

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    GK - Marshall / new GK

RB - Miller / Cadden / youth
    RCB - Rocky / youth
    LCB - Hanlon / new CB
    LB - Stevenson / youth

CM - JDH / new CM
    DM - Jeggo / Kenneh
    CM - Newell / Campbell / youth

RW - Boyle / Mackay
    CF - New CF / Melkerson
    LW - Youan / youth

Empty - McKirdy / Henderson / Cabraja / Magennis/ Tavares

Loans will need to be replaced.

I’m looking at 4 new signings creating a spine of the team GK CB CM CF. Then supplement the team with youths or loans. The 4 players creating the spine need to be quality, 1st team improvements.

What a job the backroom team, have which should be starting ASAP and offload what we don't require for next season.

Marshall/?

Miller/Egan-Riley
    Fish/?
    Hanlon/Rocky
    Lewis/Oscar

?/Jeggo
    Newell/?
    ?/Campbell

Boyle/?
    Nisbet/?
    Youan/?

This is only if we get Egan-Riley, Fish and keep hold of Nisbet.

Johnson might also feel Oscar is Still not ready yet but I feel its ideal for him to be in the first team and learning from Lewis, don't think he done anything bad when he played this season.

It might be very unrealistic to be able to offload so many and be able to bring in the amount of quality needed, I'm sure Johnson has said he wants quality not quantity and it's obvious to see we don't have much quality on a consistent basis.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by AL-Qaholik View Post
    New GK

Miller
    New CB
    Will Fish
    New LB

New CDM
    New CDM

Boyle
    New #10
    Youan

Myko or New ST

New Manager.
    Sadly I think this is pretty close to being what we need.

I struggle with Hanlon, Stevenson, JDH, Jeggo and Newell.

If I'm honest, I don't think any of those 5 have done enough to nail down a place for next year. But equally, I would be happy enough with them being in and around the squad, and a couple starting.

We absolutely need a new LB though and a midfielder that can score goals. We are so pedestrian at times and there is zero goal threat from our midfield. For me, we will not kick on until we reshape the middle of the pitch and have at least one player that will make runs into the box and provide a threat.

And as much as I love Lewis, it's criminal that he's been our starting LB for much of this season. Not a pop at him but have a look around and see how many teams have 35 year olds at full back.

We also need some actual cover up front. The team above is just our first 11 - we need some options on the bench that can actually challenge and compete.
    Last edited by neil7908; 28-05-2023 at 01:58 PM.

First 11

New GK

Miller
    New RCB
    Hanlon
    New LB

Newell
    JDH
    New attacking midfielder

Boyle
    New striker
    Youan

Rocky
    Campbell
    Jeggo
    Stevenson

Fish (hopefully get back)
    Egan Riley (hopefully get back)
    Myko (hopefully get back)

Likely to leave:

Nisbet

Definitely go:

Henderson
    McKirdy
    Cabraja
    Devlin
    Magennis (injury record only)
    Hague
    McGeady
    Doidge
    McLelland
    Hoppe

Undecided:

MacKay
    Tait
    Delferriere
    Kenneh
    Melkerson
    Tavares
    Last edited by McGruber; 29-05-2023 at 12:35 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by McGruber View Post
    First 11

New GK

Miller
    New RCB
    Hanlon
    New LB

Newell
    JDH
    New attacking midfielder